VA VA - Lollie Winans, 26, & Julie Williams, 24, found murdered, Shenandoah National Park, 1 Jun 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just finished reading a new book about this case that came out last week called Trailed: One Woman's Quest to Solve the Shenandoah Murders by Kathryn Miles. Has anyone else read it yet?
I just recently read 'Trailed' by Kathryn Miles. I thought the book was quite thorough and included a lot of information I had never heard before. For whatever reason I kept thinking of the fact that Lonnie and Julie chose an off-trail campsite that was difficult to find. The area was only accessible by an old trail that had fallen into disuse. Parts of the trail were overgrown, and it was difficult to find the trailhead. Authorities searched that area on June 1, 1996 because Lonnie and Julie's dog was found wandering nearby. Someone was probably following them since no one would have stumbled upon their camp site by chance. Unfortunately - the case is still unsolved.

I did up a little profile on what the killer could be like

At the time of the murders the killer was in his mid 20's to early 30's

This case and RT.29 Stalker are tied and the kiler was just starting out

The killer frequent the park where Williams and Winans would killed and know it well

The murders would more about control and power also the killer had more of a Hatred toward women

The killer was targeting brunette women with a athletic type body

The killer move away or when to jail

The killer has a thing for bondage *advertiser censored* (the control)

The killer has rep for bit littering women around him

The killer think more of himself than what other may think of him

The killer is smart but self centered
Rex

This is all IMO as not an official source, but just read on FB that an announcement about this case is expected today. Hopeful for justice and all IMO.

Could just be a routine case update?

Editing to add that the FB poster ( who is extremely knowledgeable and a verified expert on the Colonial Parkway Murders) just added the announcement will come from LE. IMO.

Last edited:
“The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Richmond Field Office and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Virginia announce a suspect has been identified in the murders of two women in the Shenandoah National Park, Virginia, in May 1996. “

Laura “Lollie” Winans and Julianne “Julie” Williams were murdered at their campsite near the Skyland Resort on May 24, 1996. Family members called the National Park Service after the women did not return home as planned. Their bodies were found on June 1, 1996, after an extensive search by rangers with the National Park Service.”

“Recently, the private lab successfully pulled DNA from several items of evidence and, with assistance from the Virginia State Police, the profile was submitted to the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System (CODIS). There was a positive match to Walter Leo Jackson Senior (born November 2, 1947). Jackson was a convicted serial rapist, originally from the Cleveland, Ohio area.”

Jackson, who went by the name “Leo,” died in prison in March 2018 in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Jackson had a lengthy criminal history, including kidnapping, rapes, and assaults. Our investigative team continued taking steps to learn more about Jackson’s activities through the years, which includes full coordination with our partners at the Cleveland Police Department and Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office.”

Much more in the article below.

Last edited:
“The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Richmond Field Office and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Virginia announce a suspect has been identified in the murders of two women in the Shenandoah National Park, Virginia, in May 1996. “

Laura “Lollie” Winans and Julianne “Julie” Williams were murdered at their campsite near the Skyland Resort on May 24, 1996. Family members called the National Park Service after the women did not return home as planned. Their bodies were found on June 1, 1996, after an extensive search by rangers with the National Park Service.”

“Recently, the private lab successfully pulled DNA from several items of evidence and, with assistance from the Virginia State Police, the profile was submitted to the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System (CODIS). There was a positive match to Walter Leo Jackson Senior (born November 2, 1947). Jackson was a convicted serial rapist, originally from the Cleveland, Ohio area.”

Jackson, who went by the name “Leo,” died in prison in March 2018 in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Jackson had a lengthy criminal history, including kidnapping, rapes, and assaults. Our investigative team continued taking steps to learn more about Jackson’s activities through the years, which includes full coordination with our partners at the Cleveland Police Department and Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office.”

Much more in the article below.

Wow, this guy was never on the radar, right?

Beauties and
1718919877966.png
The beast.
1718919959791.png
'An inmate photo of Walter Jackson Sr., a convicted serial rapist who died in an Ohio prison in March of 2018. On June 20, 2024, FBI agents connected Jackson to the 1996 deaths of Julianne Willians and Laura Winans in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. (FBI Richmond)
Jackson, a painter by trade, had a lengthy criminal history of kidnapping, rapes, and assaults; he also had been incarcerated four times between 1984 and 2018, officials said.'

Wow, this is wonderful, unexpected news. I wonder how Lollie and Julie’s families and friends are doing. I can’t imagine how they are feeling// there must be a sense of relief that the killer is dead, yet he was never able to be tried and convicted for their deaths.
Rest in Peace.

Beauties and
View attachment 511950
The beast.
View attachment 511951
'An inmate photo of Walter Jackson Sr., a convicted serial rapist who died in an Ohio prison in March of 2018. On June 20, 2024, FBI agents connected Jackson to the 1996 deaths of Julianne Willians and Laura Winans in Shenandoah National Park, Virginia. (FBI Richmond)
Jackson, a painter by trade, had a lengthy criminal history of kidnapping, rapes, and assaults; he also had been incarcerated four times between 1984 and 2018, officials said.'
Thank you for posting a picture of Lollie and Julie! They were beautiful and vibrant.

Last edited:
Can’t help but think of Alicia Showalter Reynolds also murdered in VA in early 1996…
Yes, but if it’s not this guy then there is still a great possibility that it was Heuermann, whose mother lived in Palmyra- a straight shot down RT 15 to where Alicia was abducted. He drove pickup trucks back then and visited his mother between 1994 and at least 2014. This suspect drove a copper colored sedan/SUV-type car and a white recreational vehicle/van.

Wow, this guy was never on the radar, right?

I never heard the name Walter Leo Jackson mentioned, and I just recently did a lot of research on this case. Some other suspects could never be tied to the crime scene although they fit the general profile of the suspect. A Bittersweet day for those who knew Julie and Lollie.

Wow! I am so glad there is closure in this case. Although it will never bring these wonderful women back, I can only imagine it brings a little bit of solace knowing who the perp was.

We probably won't find out anymore since the guy is deceased. I wonder if he was hiking/camping in the park and randomly came across the women, if he saw them somewhere in the park and followed them to their campsite, or what happened.

I never heard the name Walter Leo Jackson mentioned, and I just recently did a lot of research on this case. Some other suspects could never be tied to the crime scene although they fit the general profile of the suspect. A Bittersweet day for those who knew Julie and Lollie.
When I saw his pictures, I thought wow, he kind of looked like the original prime suspect, D Rice.

Wow! I am so glad there is closure in this case. Although it will never bring these wonderful women back, I can only imagine it brings a little bit of solace knowing who the perp was.

We probably won't find out anymore since the guy is deceased. I wonder if he was hiking/camping in the park and randomly came across the women, if he saw them somewhere in the park and followed them to their campsite, or what happened.
We'll never know the circumstances for sure, but based on research I did on this case I believe he followed them. Their campsite was adjacent to a trail once used for horse riding, but was no longer being used. (The horse stables were moved to a better location.) The trail was getting overgrown and was hard to find. It was no longer noted on park maps at the time so it's unlikely he was just passing by on the trail. It's a bit of a mystery how Julie & Lonnie found the spot though.

Yes, but if it’s not this guy then there is still a great possibility that it was Heuermann, whose mother lived in Palmyra- a straight shot down RT 15 to where Alicia was abducted. He drove pickup trucks back then and visited his mother between 1994 and at least 2014. This suspect drove a copper colored sedan/SUV-type car and a white recreational vehicle/van.
It said that Jackson used temporary tags, one thing that jumped out at me - I remember one of the Route 29 witnesses saying the vehicle had 3O day tags. Jackson also frequently changed vehicles. In saying that, with the amount of stops in the first two/three months of 1996 I still think the Route 29 stalker had to have been living in the area at the time rather than passing through.

"Lollie and Julie were genuine and authentic and caring people," Kavanaugh said during a press conference on Thursday. "They volunteered in their communities, worked hard in school, and we know they absolutely loved the outdoors. Their murders were a deep loss for their families and friends."

“After 28 years, we are now able to say who committed the brutal murders of Lollie Winans and Julie Williams in Shenandoah National Park," he said. "I want to again extend my condolences to the Winans and Williams families and hope today’s announcement provides some small measure of solace.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueJayJay71
Back