VA VA - Lollie Winans, 26, & Julie Williams, 24, found murdered, Shenandoah National Park, 1 Jun 1996

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Julie Williams and Lollie Winans
Credit FBI

Wikipedia
Richard Evonitz

July 19 2021 rbbm.
UVA's Innocence Project Calls on FBI to Take Another Look at 25-Year-Old Cold Case
"Investigators tried for months to figure out who had killed Lollie Winans and Julie Williams without success according to Deirdre Enright, who headed the Innocence Project at UVA.

“There’s a guy named Richard Evonitz who’s just tried to abduct a girl in South Carolina," Enright explains. "She gets away.”

Police tracked Evonitz to Florida where he told his sister he had killed many more women, but when officers closed in, Evonitz killed himself. Because his known victims had been teenagers, detectives branded him a pedophile and eliminated him as a suspect in the killing of Winans and Williams. Enright thinks that was a mistake -- that kids were not his only obsession. ''

''Now, she’s calling on the FBI to compare DNA from the national parks murders to DNA from Evonitz.''

Theres scant information on this case,

does anyone know the nature of the bindings ? IE what was used ?

Newspapers.com is pretty resourceful but it requires subscription. Yeah, there is scant information. I just can't believe the suspects DNA/hair can't be found anywhere on any evidence (if they have actually tried to find it).

If not DDR, GMH serial killer has been suspected at one point.

Murder of Meredith Emerson - Wikipedia

This case would have been perfect for Unsolved Mysteries original format.

Not sure about Evonitz, Ive done some pretty in depth study on him for reasons I wont disclose , his chosen victim preference was young teen girls, most of his sexual based crimes (that we know of) were in times of conflict with his marriage(s) and bankruptcy status

His MO was to abduct a child take him to his residence where he'd subject them to a ritual (shaving their pubic region, and bathing) before he would over a period of days, rape then kill his victims

There was evidence at his residence that he stalked several other young girls around Spotsylvania and the surrounding areas

Even his earlier sexual crimes (indecent exposure) was to a young female victim

The murder of 2 adult women in an open setting , doesn't seem to fit with his MO/ Signature , in almost all of Evonitz's crimes, (barring burglary and bad check writing) theres a sexual aspect to all of them, especially one who once had a letter published in the Fredericksburg free lance star concerning "Bigotry against gays "

That doesn't men he couldn't or didnt, but most of Evonitz's crimes, had triggering events, most were sexual in nature, his victims tended to be young girls, there wa sa ritual to what he did, and he made sure to dump his victims in water to try to destroy evidence .

Richard Marc Evonitz was a monster no doubt and he would've kept on killing had he not taken his own life, but I don't think he was referring to the murder of 2 adult women in the mountains, when he told his sister he committed more crimes than he could remember .

Though you cant completely rule him out , my feeling is hes not the one responsible for this particular set of murders.

Before you look at any known murderer, you have to know what really went on at the crime scene, and without having the evidence in front of us the best we can do is speculate

Reading further it sounds like they had a pretty solid suspect in the case but it never went anywhere from there

by Abigail Curtis June 8, 2021
''They had been bound and gagged, with their throats slashed.

Even though it has been 25 years, officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation still believe the murders can be solved. They are using the anniversary to share photos of the women and information about the case. They’re hoping that someone who was in the area at the time will remember something, no matter how seemingly insignificant, and let investigators know.''
An indictment, but no conviction
HIKERS-SLAIN-2.jpeg
This is an undated photo of Darrell David Rice who was indicted in 2002 for the 1996 slayings of Julianne Williams and Laura “Lollie” Winans Rice in Virginia’s Shenandoah National Park

''As far as the investigation goes, said Rybiski of the FBI, nothing has been taken off the table.

“It could potentially be a hate crime because of them being a young couple,” she said. “Or it could be a crime of opportunity.”
''But Bassett, for his part, believes that Rice is the most likely culprit, and that he singled out Winans and Williams because they were a couple.''

by Abigail Curtis June 8, 2021
''They had been bound and gagged, with their throats slashed.

Even though it has been 25 years, officials from the Federal Bureau of Investigation still believe the murders can be solved. They are using the anniversary to share photos of the women and information about the case. They’re hoping that someone who was in the area at the time will remember something, no matter how seemingly insignificant, and let investigators know.''
An indictment, but no conviction
HIKERS-SLAIN-2.jpeg
This is an undated photo of Darrell David Rice who was indicted in 2002 for the 1996 slayings of Julianne Williams and Laura “Lollie” Winans Rice in Virginia’s Shenandoah National Park

''As far as the investigation goes, said Rybiski of the FBI, nothing has been taken off the table.

“It could potentially be a hate crime because of them being a young couple,” she said. “Or it could be a crime of opportunity.”
''But Bassett, for his part, believes that Rice is the most likely culprit, and that he singled out Winans and Williams because they were a couple.''

DDR is certainly scum of this earth and most closely resembles Alicia Showalter abductor's composite but could one person really bind and gang two women by knife point? Unless he had a gun also and just used it as back-up.

DDR is certainly scum of this earth and most closely resembles Alicia Showalter abductor's composite but could one person really bind and gang two women by knife point? Unless he had a gun also and just used it as back-up.
No he doesnt. IMO.

I do think Marc Evonitz murdered the girl that was found in stafford at the witches pond . I do not think Rice is the rt 29 guy . I do think Rice was the guy that tried hunting me and my friend down, though.

This case, most closely resembles the first case in the Colonial parkway murders, though im not sure they are connected, and Ill start off by saying i dont believe all of the cases involved in the Colonial parkway case are related either.

2 adult female victims i a somewhat remote part of national park
both are lesbian
both are bound
both died from slashing wounds to their throats

No sexual assault or robbery indicated

First I would eliminate anything in their background that may indicate why they became victims (AKA Victimology), id be interested in anyone who knew where they were, did anything change in either of their lives prior to their trip, did anyone want to hurt either one of them, did either of them confide anything in anyone prior to their deaths , how was their relationship together, how was their relationship with each other, their work history, how they were viewed by their peers etc...

Once you know the victims, you can now get a better idea of who may have targetted them.

Theres no sexual assault, so rape can be ruled out , as can robbery unless these things did happen and LE hasnt released it.

But from what we know, they were bound, in their tent, and they had their throats slashed.

Binding multiple victims can be tricky, an offender may have one tie up another at gunpoint but at some pint he either has to check the bindings of the first victim, or put down the weapon to bind the second, theres a moment of risk there for the offender.

Id be interested to know if they were gagged as well.

In terms of risk the victims lived a moderately low risk lifestyle of becoming a victim of violence. Their only 2 risk heightening factors, was being gay in a time of misunderstanding about homosexuality, and at that point being alone .

So how does the offender come into contact with the victims ?

-Did he know they would be there ?
-Did he stalk the victims once he saw them at the park?
-Was he out roaming and saw the opportunity and took it ?

Bindings can tell you A LOT about an offender, the nature of , origin and use of mean a great deal in terms of evidence .

An offender who brings items specifically for the intent of binding a victim, is slightly different psychologically than one who acts impulsively and binds a victim with what is on hand (clothes, wires etc..)

Though the end result is the same, the preparation, or the lack of gives valuable insight into the crime itself .

If this individual brought bindings with him, with the intent to restrain , then you are looking at a more psychopathic type individual. (IE this was planned, and wasn't just an impulse he couldn't control)

If they were bound with items at hand , for ex their clothing, you are most likely looking at someone who for whatever reason impulsively acted in the moment and killed the girls out of anger or to prevent identification. IE they weren't prepared.

It can be tough to discern at times however, as outdoor types will often carry some type of cordage with them to be used for camp uses, that tells a story as well .

If there was no sexual assault, no robbery or any other crime committed, you can focus on murder as the sole factor .

So why were they targeted?

Being gay could be a motive, but so could be being alone , or was it both?

Being isolated certainly factored into it, I feel confident , saying I feel this killer wouldn't have attempted this in a crowded area.

What was it about the isolation that empowered him to murder 2 innocent women?

My guess was that he was familiar with the area, he knew he wasn't going to be disturbed, he knew he could get in and out without raising suspicion.

Id be very interested in any other crimes that were committed within the park especially violent crimes.

Were they killed because they were gay?

If so id look into any other assaults on lesbian or gay couples in the vicinity

Did the killer follow 2 women into the woods to kill them ?, or did the killer come upon them while they were camping ?

As I stated earlier , if the murders were planned, then you are looking for a slightly different type of individual than one who just looses control and acts impulsively

If the murder was unplanned, don't overlook other types of crimes, in the area, robbery, nuisance crimes, fires, break ins, thefts, etc... These types of individuals usually have a criminal history that is all over the place .

And because of their poor impulse control , primarily post offense, they often commit other crimes, the ones we see the most are usually DUI , assaults, theft, destruction of property, or drug related charges.

Therefore the guy who may have stolen something at the local store , or damaged something, or any thing.....may have a little more to tell, especially if its in the vicinity

However unless more facts are released about the murders, the best we can do is guess

This case, most closely resembles the first case in the Colonial parkway murders, though im not sure they are connected, and Ill start off by saying i dont believe all of the cases involved in the Colonial parkway case are related either.

2 adult female victims i a somewhat remote part of national park
both are lesbian
both are bound
both died from slashing wounds to their throats

No sexual assault or robbery indicated

First I would eliminate anything in their background that may indicate why they became victims (AKA Victimology), id be interested in anyone who knew where they were, did anything change in either of their lives prior to their trip, did anyone want to hurt either one of them, did either of them confide anything in anyone prior to their deaths , how was their relationship together, how was their relationship with each other, their work history, how they were viewed by their peers etc...

Once you know the victims, you can now get a better idea of who may have targetted them.

Theres no sexual assault, so rape can be ruled out , as can robbery unless these things did happen and LE hasnt released it.

But from what we know, they were bound, in their tent, and they had their throats slashed.

Binding multiple victims can be tricky, an offender may have one tie up another at gunpoint but at some pint he either has to check the bindings of the first victim, or put down the weapon to bind the second, theres a moment of risk there for the offender.

Id be interested to know if they were gagged as well.

In terms of risk the victims lived a moderately low risk lifestyle of becoming a victim of violence. Their only 2 risk heightening factors, was being gay in a time of misunderstanding about homosexuality, and at that point being alone .

So how does the offender come into contact with the victims ?

-Did he know they would be there ?
-Did he stalk the victims once he saw them at the park?
-Was he out roaming and saw the opportunity and took it ?

Bindings can tell you A LOT about an offender, the nature of , origin and use of mean a great deal in terms of evidence .

An offender who brings items specifically for the intent of binding a victim, is slightly different psychologically than one who acts impulsively and binds a victim with what is on hand (clothes, wires etc..)

Though the end result is the same, the preparation, or the lack of gives valuable insight into the crime itself .

If this individual brought bindings with him, with the intent to restrain , then you are looking at a more psychopathic type individual. (IE this was planned, and wasn't just an impulse he couldn't control)

If they were bound with items at hand , for ex their clothing, you are most likely looking at someone who for whatever reason impulsively acted in the moment and killed the girls out of anger or to prevent identification. IE they weren't prepared.

It can be tough to discern at times however, as outdoor types will often carry some type of cordage with them to be used for camp uses, that tells a story as well .

If there was no sexual assault, no robbery or any other crime committed, you can focus on murder as the sole factor .

So why were they targeted?

Being gay could be a motive, but so could be being alone , or was it both?

Being isolated certainly factored into it, I feel confident , saying I feel this killer wouldn't have attempted this in a crowded area.

What was it about the isolation that empowered him to murder 2 innocent women?

My guess was that he was familiar with the area, he knew he wasn't going to be disturbed, he knew he could get in and out without raising suspicion.

Id be very interested in any other crimes that were committed within the park especially violent crimes.

Were they killed because they were gay?

If so id look into any other assaults on lesbian or gay couples in the vicinity

Did the killer follow 2 women into the woods to kill them ?, or did the killer come upon them while they were camping ?

As I stated earlier , if the murders were planned, then you are looking for a slightly different type of individual than one who just looses control and acts impulsively

If the murder was unplanned, don't overlook other types of crimes, in the area, robbery, nuisance crimes, fires, break ins, thefts, etc... These types of individuals usually have a criminal history that is all over the place .

And because of their poor impulse control , primarily post offense, they often commit other crimes, the ones we see the most are usually DUI , assaults, theft, destruction of property, or drug related charges.

Therefore the guy who may have stolen something at the local store , or damaged something, or any thing.....may have a little more to tell, especially if its in the vicinity

However unless more facts are released about the murders, the best we can do is guess
The women were gagged as well as bound. So why gag them if nobody is likely to hear them scream in that camp setting?
He also slit each of their throats.
It just seems like he wanted to shut them up period, then and forever.
He took away the ability to move their bodies and to speak, or even make noise at all. Complete control of expression.
Curious now about some of the scenarios suggested, especially if there was anyone who might have followed the women, somebody who did not like something they said, or could say. speculation, imo.

The women were gagged as well as bound. So why gag them if nobody is likely to hear them scream in that camp setting?
He also slit each of their throats.
It just seems like he wanted to shut them up period, then and forever.
He took away the ability to move their bodies and to speak, or even make noise at all. Complete control of expression.
Curious now about some of the scenarios suggested, especially if there was anyone who might have followed the women, somebody who did not like something they said, or could say. speculation, imo.

There's been research put into killing methodology, and the use of a knife to slit the throat of a victim could have several meanings

First off, its a particularly gruesome means of killing someone, its not all that quick as one may surmise , certainly faster then strangulation, but its not as certain as one would think .

It almost guarantees evidence transfer , especially with 2 victims , id bet the house he had blood on him even if he was extremely careful.

In terms of the psychological meaning behind it , it could have several meanings.

Slashing the throat is a means we use to slaughter animals, in the case of its use on a human victim,the implications may be the same, IE "Im ridding myself of you", "you are not human to me"

Theres also the fear it instills in the victim primarily if one witnesses, that happening to the other, the use of a knife alone produces fear of a prolonged painful death.

In this case, again Id be interested to know what they were bound and gagged with, did he bring it , or was it something that was there

However we can ask this question,....to what end did the murder of these 2 women serve?, there was no rape or robbery, so what was it ?

Was it an argument that got out of control?

Was it because they were lesbian?

The one thing I don't see here is rage, anger perhaps, but not unbridled rage, this wasn't the work of a pissed off angry impulsive individual, this was a cold calculated murder.

If it were , id expect to see the victims attacked haphazardly and perhaps stabbed and beaten into submission, theres no need to bound and gag them

He may have even struck up a conversation with the, prior to then doubled back later under cover of darkness to attack them

I also read nowhere where there was an attempt to hide their bodies , he went in bound gagged, killed and left, that appears to be the entire crime

That level of hatred toward any denomination (race, sexual orientation) I feel would be tough to hide , and this individual IMO would most likely be known for his hatred of such groups .

Therefore if this was an organized attack, you are most likely dealing with a serial offender, who planned the attack, brought implements to complete the murder.

However

I feel you are dealing with someone who simply saw the women, then had to do something about what he perceived as wrong , some call it a moral enforcer, but I feel it was more pure hatred, not a sense of duty to protect anyone from the ills of society.

This killer was fine killing 2 women who were far enough away from any help that they probably didnt need to be gagged, even with a dog barking , he was on a mission to rid the world of these 2 women for some reason, we can surmise it was because of their sexual orientation.

With all of the campers out in the area he chose these specific 2 women to murder, gay and alone were most likely the only factors he needed to spring into action, however, if there was an altercation of some type prior to, that would be enough fuel for a impulsive sociopath trigger murder, especially if they feel their very existence is an affront to his values .

Gagging the victim in this case, seems more about the control he has over them "You cant even scream"

Carrying a knife in the wilderness is basically a requirement, so its hard to look at this case, and say he "used a knife because", if he had a firearm and a means to use it quietly ha may have , strangulation would be to risky as it would take too long, bludgeoning the victims to death would have been more indicative of anger, but no he killed them as quickly and efficiently as he could.

Now this could all change in the event more evidence is released , again we can only go on what we have

Hopefully they still have that hair!
rbbm.
A Murder In The Woods: The Mystery Behind Shenandoah National Park's Last Homicide
''Though prosecutors spent years building the case against Rice, they lacked forensic evidence. Then, in 2003, a hair found at the crime scene was tested. DNA results indicated that it did not match Rice or the victims. After that, the case fell apart. In 2004 the charges against Darrell David Rice were dismissed “without prejudice,” meaning he could still be charged at a later date.

Because the murder of Julie and Lollie is still an active investigation, the FBI will not discuss persons of interest. No one has been convicted of the murders, and Rice was released from prison in 2011. The last reported sighting of Rice was in 2014 when police in Durango, Colorado began receiving calls from frightened residents saying they’d seen him in the area. Durango Police Chief Jim Spratlen said people were overreacting, adding, “all I know is he’s not wanted, and we ain’t looking for him.”

The unsolved Williams and Winans camping murders in Shenandoah National Park — StrangeOutdoors.com
''National Park Service lead investigator Tim Alley said that Lollie was found inside the tent. Like Julie, she had been gagged, her hands had been bound with duct tape– duct tape that, oddly, had first been used to tape Julie's mouth– and her throat had been slit. Unlike Julie, her ankles were also bound. Both were partially undressed, yet neither woman had been sexually assaulted, or, at least no semen was found. Julie's body, along with her sleeping bag and sleeping pad, was "approximately 30-40 feet away, down a little embankment".

Sorry, 2 posts in row. rbbm.

June 25 2021
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...lliams-laura-winans-unsolved-murder-test-dna/
''As anniversaries of the crimes come and go, the government has staunchly refused to test the DNA for a link to Evonitz and to pursue the very real possibility that they already have the evidence needed to solve this case. DNA tests showed that hairs found in gloves at the crime scene and in the duct tape used to bind the victims were from the same source and matched Evonitz’s hairs at all but two of 650 base pairs on a mitochondrial chain. In 2004, the government called that “inconclusive.” Several labs have assured us that there are now tests available that would likely produce conclusive results. There is male DNA on one of the gags, and it isn’t Rice’s. There are lubricants in both victims, and they cannot be linked to either victim or Rice. Evonitz had many lubricants.''

Sorry, 2 posts in row. rbbm.

June 25 2021
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...lliams-laura-winans-unsolved-murder-test-dna/
''As anniversaries of the crimes come and go, the government has staunchly refused to test the DNA for a link to Evonitz and to pursue the very real possibility that they already have the evidence needed to solve this case. DNA tests showed that hairs found in gloves at the crime scene and in the duct tape used to bind the victims were from the same source and matched Evonitz’s hairs at all but two of 650 base pairs on a mitochondrial chain. In 2004, the government called that “inconclusive.” Several labs have assured us that there are now tests available that would likely produce conclusive results. There is male DNA on one of the gags, and it isn’t Rice’s. There are lubricants in both victims, and they cannot be linked to either victim or Rice. Evonitz had many lubricants.''

Good work, interesting there is a possibility of sexual assault that changes things a bit

I just finished reading a new book about this case that came out last week called Trailed: One Woman's Quest to Solve the Shenandoah Murders by Kathryn Miles. Has anyone else read it yet?

I just finished reading a new book about this case that came out last week called Trailed: One Woman's Quest to Solve the Shenandoah Murders by Kathryn Miles. Has anyone else read it yet?
I have and thought it was it really, really good. Lots of new information in it that I had never heard before. The author clearly invested a lot of effort in it - the research and access to information was especially impressive.

The tragic victims at the heart of “Trailed” are Julianne “Julie” Williams and Laura “Lollie” Winans, two twenty-something, opposites-attract lovers. Williams, 24, was a middle-class kid from a loving Minnesota family, a quietly focused scholar with a geology degree. Winans, 26, was a rich kid from an abusive Michigan clan, a tie-dyed free spirit taking forever to finish college.

They shared a love of the outdoors and met through Woodswomen in 1995. Then, hiking, camping and mountain-climbing weren’t just male-dominated but, Miles notes, misogynistic. The Minnesota non-profit organization helped women find their place in the wilderness.

5NH2FUWJYZDUNBF7QZKGMBFZKU.jpg

During her four-year investigation, Miles approached her quest from multiple perspectives, interviewing the victims’ families, friends and professors, as well as investigators with the National Park Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. She gained access to a multitude of documents, not only about the Williams-Winans case but the murders of other women. She asked questions others hadn’t, pursuing details such as the nonstandard width of duct tape used to bind the women, and she obtained a 1990s catalog from a manufacturer of “adult” products to compare crime-scene evidence. She even found and interviewed other hikers who’d been in the park when the pair were murdered, including a group of women who were rebuffed when they tried to report an encounter with a man who knew about the killings before they were made public.

Far from true-crime sensationalism, “Trailed” paints a heartbreaking portrait of two promising young women’s lives cut short and a sobering picture of how murderers slip through cracks in the justice system. Williams, a Carleton College graduate, majored in geology and spent so much time helping women in Mexico that her friends called her a “one-woman Peace Corps.” Drawn to the wilderness, she joined Woodswomen, an organization founded to “buck the longstanding masculine model for getting women outside.” That’s where she met Winans, an environmental studies major, and the two fell in love. Miles suggests the women may have been killed because they were flouting patriarchal norms, not only as lesbians but as women camping without male companionship. Such norms muddy the investigative process, as well as restrict women’s serenity outdoors — a problem worth addressing in its own right, Miles argues.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexisboyd
Back