Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No, they can't.

"It would obviously be oppressive and unfair if a prosecutor, disappointed with an acquittal, could secure a retrial of the accused person on the same evidence, perhaps before what the prosecutor ‘considered to be a more perspicacious jury or tougher judge’."
So it seems the Constitution allows it, but it would be unprecedented (on the same evidence).

What can happen, Bats, is for the prosecutor to appeal the sentence.

@stacey_victoria thinking of your family today - the bounds of the legal system might have prevented justice from being served for Russell today, but despite all the mud slinging and story telling from one side, Russell’s dignity and character have shone through for plenty of us and that’s how he’ll be remembered by a vast majority of Australians - a capable, practical and dignified man who though maybe conflicted, did his best for those who loved him - to love and care for his family and two women with great effort to avoid inflicting harm on either.
Sending lots of strength, love and deep breaths for you all - you’ve been through a terrible thing and deserve a lifetime of peace ahead.

I wonder how the jury feel now that they can know Lynn's history.
They did the best they could with what they had, but it must be unnerving to now find out what Lynn is like.
Any that may have had any reservations about finding the defendant guilty for Carol Clay's murder might feel a whole lot different once they gain a true perspective of the man.

Yes, if Russell wasn't actually murdered, why was it so necessary to murder Carol?
It’s entirely possible that the jury thinks Russell wasn’t killed accidentally, they just can’t be sure beyond what they must feel is a reasonable doubt because he destroyed so much of the evidence.

I think it’s likely that whatever happened to Russell may not have been “intentional” but it was still the result of Lynn doing something that he shouldn’t have done, whether that involved his firearm being used unsafely or just his temper getting the better of him.. I think there’s any number of reasons it would have been easier to have Carol out of the picture even if he didn’t straight up murder Russell. :(

imo

Same. I'm relieved and saddened at the same time. It must be a very difficult time for Russell's family and friends.

Although I'm disappointed that Lynn wasn't found guilty on both counts, I'm so glad that the jury was able to see through his web of deceit and see him as the lying, callous murderer that he is
Everyone who has had anything to do with GL has been living a nightmare. I am quite happy to think that now he will be living the nightmare for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

Only Carol Clay’s murderer Greg Lynn knows what really happened to her and her lover Russell Hill​

Just after 12.45pm, the jury foreperson delivered the verdicts for both charges in the packed court room and at-capacity public gallery above.

An audible gasp was heard as the foreperson replied “guilty” to the second charge relating to Clay. Lynn’s son, Geordie, crossed his arms and shook his head as the guilty verdict was handed down.

Only metres from where they camped, a plaque had been erected in honour of Hill’s uncle, who had been killed in an accidental shooting while deer hunting in the valley in 1994.

“Not every stag under … a tree is a deer” the plaque reads.

Lynn was remanded in custody to appear the in court for a pre-sentence hearing on 17 July.

Last edited:

Only metres from where they camped, a plaque had been erected in honour of Hill’s uncle, who had been killed in an accidental shooting while deer hunting in the valley in 1994.

I'm surprised the jury found him guilty of murdering Carol but not Russell. My rationale for their decision is that there were many variables as to how Russell died and that they couldn't reach a unanimous decision. I still believe he murdered both of them.

I'm surprised the jury found him guilty of murdering Carol but not Russell. My rationale for their decision is that there were many variables as to how Russell died and that they couldn't reach a unanimous decision. I still believe he murdered both of them.
Logically, if Russell Hill had been killed in any kind of reasonable manner - not murdered - Lynn would have had no reason to kill Carol Clay.

I wonder if family will now erect another plaque next to RH's uncle's.

What the jury wasn't told:

1) What police heard were several utterances he made to himself. While camping in the same region in December 2020, he was recorded saying, “Let’s see if the cops turn up. If they do, we know that they can put a tracker on it.”

2) While camping in the same region in December 2020, he was recorded saying, “Let’s see if the cops turn up. If they do, we know that they can put a tracker on it.” “Who decides what’s right and what’s wrong? That’s the thing, judgment, judge does, the law does, the community does” and “Little old people, they looked at me like [inaudible words] fair enough, fair enough”.
3) After hearing a news story about the couple’s disappearance in May 2021, he was heard saying: “I put a trigger lock on it. You’ve gotta get a second set of trigger lock keys and stick them in there … They’ve just got to keep pushing all the time, don’t they?”

Only Carol Clay’s murderer Greg Lynn knows what really happened to her and her lover Russell Hill

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinsandsurvivors
Back