MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

Karen Read has been charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter and leaving the scene of a collision in the January 2022 death of her off-duty Boston Police Officer boyfriend John O'Keefe outside a Canton, Mass., home.

She's pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Leading up to his death, the couple of two years reportedly spent the night drinking and bar hopping with friends before Read, 43, dropped O'Keefe, 46, off at the home of a fellow off-duty police officer for an after-party, PEOPLE previously reported.

Prosecutors say as O'Keefe exited the vehicle, Read allegedly proceeded to make a three-point turn during a winter storm, striking her boyfriend in the process before driving off.

After O'Keefe failed to return home hours later, Read allegedly went looking for him, before finding his body in a snowbank outside the home where she allegedly left him.

Karen-Read-and-John-OKeefe-8c0b529e6823492aaf409a1c96c15ccc.jpg

john-okeefe-police-officer-dd6a844c30fa4341b2dba22774525391.jpg

Thread #1Thread #2 Thread #3Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15

Last edited by a moderator:
MOD NOTE:
- This is not a debate thread; it's a discussion thread.
- Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if it's different from yours.
- You don't have to reply to every post on the thread.
- Don't be a jerk, or I'll have to be a jerk. Being a jerk makes me cranky.

ADMIN NOTE:

It is clear in Websleuths TOS that name variations are not allowed.

Whether you like her or not, it is disrespectful to the court to refer to the judge as "Auntie Bev" or "Bev".

She is Judge Beverly Cannone (or Judge Cannone, or simply the Judge).

NAME CALLING and DEROGATORY NAME VARIATIONS

In an effort to keep case discussion constructive, name calling, general bashing and using derogatory name variations for any of the case players is not tolerated. Regardless of how we may feel about many of the people who are the focus of our discussion here, it is always best to elevate the conversation and avoid this type of posting behavior. Feel free to express your displeasure with individuals that are being discussed, just avoid petty nastiness, name calling, name changes/variations, and over the top rude posts directed at case players.

Initials may be used, and are encouraged.

Please vote in our poll to voice your thoughts:
Do you personally think Karen Read struck John O'Keffe with her car, killing him.

Cast your vote here.

To better gauge percentages of forum readers who believe Karen Read actually struck John O'Keefe or not
I have arranged for a poll to be created.

Further to this, I want to make it clear that we are interested in your personal thought, rather than what you might vote if you were on the jury. It is clear that the Prosecution's case left a lot to be desired, hence the mistrial.

I have suggested that the Poll be adjusted to be more clear -

Do you personally think Karen Read struck John O'Keffe with her car, killing him.

Poll Options:
1. She struck and killed him, either intentionally or by accident.
2. She didn't strike him. She has been wrongly charged.

Please post in the Poll Thread if you have thoughts on better implementation of wording. Thank you!

Last edited:
Oh the way that note was authored, there was almost certainly someone with a close knowledge of court proceedings/the law in there IMO. It takes me back to the judge choosing the foreperson before the jury had even been selected. Also makes me think of the one jury member who according to reports had their head in their hands during the defense closing argument and eyes closed/staring upwards at some points. Then the judge chose the foreperson - was it also a male? Then we hear of these juror notes, authored extremely well, IMO doesn’t sound like it is by an average Joe member of the public. I am appalled at the way this trial has been conducted, I am angry. All this pure hatred towards KR, who should be awarded the right of Innocent until proven Guilty.

I am completely disgusted at how she has been treated as a defendant. She is the accused not the convicted. I will admit I have in the past been guilty of believing in someone’s guilt before conviction but only when the evidence is very solid, almost irrefutable. The evidence in this case is far from solid, its shaky at best. We have police officers talking disgustingly about KR, we have an IMO quite possible cover up involving witnesses/officers and IMO this has spilled over into some downright questionable decisions during this trial.

The jury note sounds possibly to me like someone who is familiar with the law IMO and if that is true, if a member of the jury has knowledge of the law, they should never have been a juror in the first place.

The mistrial is neither a victory nor a loss. They will try again, because the reputation of law enforcement and the justice system as a whole is at stake. Desperate measures will always be taken to protect ‘their own’. They want KR to suffer for this, she has to take the fall in their eyes. Because if what quite possibly may be the ‘truth’ is exposed, too many people will fall and so will the public’s trust in the justice system.

It’s been a farce IMO from beginning to end, the prosecution were allowed to have officers give ‘expert testimony’ that only a doctor or medical examiner or someone who qualifies as an expert should give. While defense witnesses were prevented from going further in their opinions and reasons for those opinions.

I don’t hold out hope for an acquittal as I suspect the judge will remain the same for a retrial. I expect KR to be tried again and again until either a conviction is obtained or it’s impossible to not drop the case entirely. I also expect the next jury to contain a majority of members from certain backgrounds, of certain gender, of certain professions IMO…

I don’t know how anyone who’s follows this case and watched this trial can think this doesn’t stink to high heaven? JMO but any time a case has a defense of ‘police cover up’ it’s action stations, decisions are made to prevent the downfall of officers and if some have to come out looking bad it’s always as few as possible IMO. By the looks of it Proctor took one for the team in this instance, of course he should have been exposed but IMO so should many others…

All MOO

Enjoyed following this trial with everyone. Thanks for all the insight and sharing. And some great belly laughs too. What a ride. Coming into this initially out of curiosity had no idea how caught up I'd become. Really need to catch up on shut eye. Thank you all!

Waiting patiently to be informed of the true split count, from a reliable source. IMO, those numbers will/should dictate the ability of the CW to re-try the case. I believe the CW's quick comment post hung verdict, was a lot of bravado.

They had their 'proof' buried under a pile of reasonable doubt !! IMO

They have stated they will.
However I think the investigators are answerable to the FBI?? Anyone clarify
If federal charges are brought, they would have to answer to them. Also, at least one, BH, is a federal agent, ATF.
The fact that at least some portion of the investigation involved their study into whether JOK was hit by a car would seem to indicate their probe is focused on the this case.

Waiting patiently to be informed of the true split count, from a reliable source. IMO, those numbers will/should dictate the ability of the CW to re-try the case. I believe the CW's quick comment post hung verdict, was a lot of bravado.

How would anyone but the jurors know what the count was? Whatever it was it needs to remain in the jury deliberation room. Outing jurors or outing the count is what makes it difficult to find impartial jurors and hard to find people willing to serve. The backlash and stalking is terrible.

That’s pretty much the only response they could have. If they said they won’t retry it immediately, it gives off the air that they never believed in it in the first place. MOO

How would anyone but the jurors know what the count was? Whatever it was it needs to remain in the jury deliberation room. Outing jurors or outing the count is what makes it difficult to find impartial jurors and hard to find people willing to serve. The backlash and stalking is terrible.
I can't remember what usually happens with hung juries. Do they usually talk? If any do there would have to be some mention of the split? Are they prohibited from giving the split? I thought once dismissed they can say whatever they want.

Not stalking at all!!
Not 'Outing ' jurors either.
IMO
It is their right, as a citizen of this country to speak. The rules of sequestration are over. IF one ( or more) jurors wishes to speak, that is their right. They can do it anonymously if they chose to do so, or not.

After the jury is dismissed, you are no longer prohibited from talking about the trial. However, you should avoid revealing the names of other jurors, how any juror voted, or anything discussed during jury deliberations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back