Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Of course there may not even have been any loud music.
The loud music is a weird detail. I don’t reckon you’d risk including it unless loud music had played at some point, because Lynn knew he had seen other folk around. But the fact that Lynn couldn’t say what the music was made me suspicious, he just said it was “the most annoying” music he could think of.Theres no way he wouldn’t remember. How did he play it with no phone reception? Did he have it downloaded in which case his phone would record the song; or does he still have a CD player ?!

Someone (I forget who sorry!) wondered if it might have been R & C who played the music. And GL just incorporated it into his story.

I also agree with the suggestion that it was played to mask other bad behaviour and s cg over an element of surprise.

Thanks JB absolutely fascinating I would love to know his childhood background.
Same. It’s very odd that there’s nothing about his early life, his parents or any siblings. It’s as if his life consisted only of cadets and working for airlines, nothing about schools, friends just a big blank.

It’s as weird as he is

The loud music is a weird detail. I don’t reckon you’d risk including it unless loud music had played at some point, because Lynn knew he had seen other folk around. But the fact that Lynn couldn’t say what the music was made me suspicious, he just said it was “the most annoying” music he could think of.Theres no way he wouldn’t remember. How did he play it with no phone reception? Did he have it downloaded in which case his phone would record the song; or does he still have a CD player ?!

Someone (I forget who sorry!) wondered if it might have been R & C who played the music. And GL just incorporated it into his story.

I also agree with the suggestion that it was played to mask other bad behaviour and s cg over an element of surprise.
From memory in Court that day it was the car radio.

Hi @KathPlumber that was me :)

During the police interview GL tells the detectives that he used "a stack" and says he "put them in individually" so judging by his make of car he must have a CD player.

I can see two possibilities with this music situation:

1) GL was indeed playing his music loud in an effort to get RH & CC to leave their campsite so GL could continue illegally hunting deer or as a preemptive measure to drown out the sounds of the shooting he intended on doing.

2) RH & CC were playing their music, enjoying their evening wilderness retreat or perhaps to scare away any deer/be annoying so GL would pack up & leave

My issue with option 1 is that GL couldn't tell investigators what he was playing apart from that it was not from RH & CC's generation i.e "the most annoying" he could find.

My issue with option 2 is that I'm unsure if RH had a working car radio/stereo or what he may have been able to play music with. I also don't know if it's characteristic of him to antagonise GL with loud music.

Last edited:
Widow's despair over park shooting

Trigger warning: photo of trophy animal heads

The accidental shooting of Russell Hill's relative.

Very insightful article, I recommend reading it. (Sorry I couldn't get the excerpt to insert like the link - sorry mods & group!)

"Gary Hill, 42, died instantly after his nephew lined him up in the sights of his .35-calibre rifle and pulled the trigger on what he thought was a deer.

His ashes were scattered in the park by his widow and the two teenage children she was left alone to bring up."

Last edited:
Or maybe she really does love him and believes it all happened just the way he said it did.
Hard to believe, but perhaps she hasn't seen the violent side of him.
I have to wonder now if Melanie has found a ‘new clarity’ of events as information has been released. I don’t think anyone could be 100% naive or gullible, despite their love for someone. Looking back I wonder if she has had some light bulb moments about her husband’s words and actions. Wishing her well.

I have to wonder now if Melanie has found a ‘new clarity’ of events as information has been released. I don’t think anyone could be 100% naive or gullible, despite their love for someone. Looking back I wonder if she has had some light bulb moments about her husband’s words and actions. Wishing her well.
How many solo camping/hunting trips did he go on? I was thinking today if there was anyone I know who heads off on solo hunting/camping trips and I drew a blank.

How many solo camping/hunting trips did he go on? I was thinking today if there was anyone I know who heads off on solo hunting/camping trips and I drew a blank.

If you are to believe Greg in the Police interview, the fateful camping trip was the first time he'd hunted deer. This is really strange to me. For your first time hunting deer, wouldn't you do it with someone who's had some experience? I suppose you could research it, but on your own the first time? Weird!

Regarding solo camping trips...

"A former roommate of Lynn’s back in the 1990s recalled Lynn flying an air ambulance out of Tullamarine."

"The man said even back then the pilot loved to walk alone in the bush, often going on multi-day hikes through Victoria’s High Country and parts of Tasmania"

What the jury wasn’t told about the missing campers case

From watching the 3.5 hour interview (which I finally finished tonight, had to keep taking breaks) I gathered the following information:

The Wonnangatta trip was Greg Lynn’s second hunting trip and was his first time both hunting in the Wonnangatta Valley AND stalking deer, as well as his first time using his new rifle + shotgun.

His first and only other hunting trip was on a pig hunting reserve. He went on that expedition alone & camped 10km away from the camp where other hunters were.

None of the rifles he used on that trip were brought with him on his Wonnangatta hunt.

Last edited:
If you are to believe Greg in the Police interview, the fateful camping trip was the first time he'd hunted deer. This is really strange to me. For your first time hunting deer, wouldn't you do it with someone who's had some experience? I suppose you could research it, but on your own the first time? Weird!

Would probably need to have friends to have someone to go hunting with.

I think narcissists don't tend to have real friends who could tolerate several days alone with them.

imo

Would probably need to have friends to have someone to go hunting with.

I think narcissists don't tend to have real friends who could tolerate several days alone with them.

imo

Seems to me that anyone who knew of Lynn's hair trigger temper would not want to be in his company in the wilderness while he was armed.

This doubly so if he liked to drink.

Last edited:
If you are to believe Greg in the Police interview, the fateful camping trip was the first time he'd hunted deer.

I find that hard to believe myself. If you are going to hunt and kill deer then you have to have plans for dealing with the carcass. It needs to be buried or butchered (on site or offsite).

Butchering involves a bunch of hygiene requirements.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viceroy9101
Back