Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Back then it would be a very rare thing for any child to be home schooled in Australia.

Except in areas where there were no schools and The School of The Air operated.
Kids were homeschooled in those days for lots of reasons. Mostly when kicked out of school or when had social issues. Or when travelling, living on boats, or had different thinking parents. I used to work in PR at Distant Ed and Flying doctors.

Mods - I hope I'm not too much off-topic with my post below. It is of some relevance re difficulties investigating crimes in vast isolated areas.

Is this the book BreakingNews? - by Robin Bowles - "Dead Centre". Very interesting read.

Robin Bowles' writing is very easy to read, and she seems to have a knack for getting key people talk to her.
She's very thorough with her research.

She doesn't push an opinion down the readers' throat. After reading it, I came to the conclusion that Bradley Murdoch
has done some bad things, but murdering Peter Falconio was not one of them. (JMO)

When I had read of GL's trip to the NT, I immediately thought of the Falconio case, but timeframe doesn't fit. That was in early 2000's IIRC. I hope any "disappearances" occurring during the dates of GL's trip are being looked at again.

MOO
Yes, that's the book. I loved how this author researched the book and how she wrote. She convinced me.

Maybe, maybe not. I’m not particularly interested in how he was educated, I’m interested in the apparant complete lack of family, friends and childhood. It’s like he just appeared as a cadet and then a pilot.

since training to become a pilot isn’t exactly cheap I'm curious as to how he managed it.

There seems to be a few references to Tassie, in back stories about him. It is something I have noticed. Maybe he comes from Tassie. Although it could be that his first wife came from Tassie, and he didn't (or also did), and hence the references.

This article says that he had been a pilot since his 20s. And in periods of unemployment worked as an asparagus picker, and as a Tassie river guide. Link

And this paywalled article speaks of a rafting trip down the Franklin River in Tassie (maybe when he was a river guide). Link

And his first wife's mum spoke of travelling from Tassie to Victoria to be with Lisa when she was trying to leave Lynn. Link

Last edited:
His first and only other hunting trip was on a pig hunting reserve. He went on that expedition alone & camped 10km away from the camp where other hunters were.
Total nonsense and yet another lie.

Why then was he a member of the Melbourne International Shooting Club in Port Melbourne and the exclusive Little River Raiders gun club and have all these guns at home?

a) 1x .45 Automatic 'Shooters Arms' model 1911A1 Semi-Automatic Pistol with 10x Magazines

b) 1x .45 Long Colt Calibre 'Ruger' Model New Vaquera 6 Shot Revolver S/N 513-33691

c) 1x .45 long Colt Calibre 'Ruger' Model New Vaquera 6 Shot Revolver S/N 513-33920

d) 1x 308 Winchester Calibre 'Oceania Precision' Model SP25-TAC Semi-Automatic Rifle S/N SPT00038 and 1 Magazine

e) 1x 12 Gauge 'Barathrum Arms' Model S/P 12 Semi-Automatic Shotgun S/N FXF2839

f) 1x 12 Gauge ER 'Amantino' Model A-680 (Boito) Side by Side Shotgun S/N C873299-18

g) 1x 357 Magnum Calibre 'Chiappa Arms' Lever Action Rifle S/N 16E03954

h) 1x 45 Long Colt Winchester Leaver Action Rifle

The only time he tells the truth is when he knows LE has evidence to prove he's a liar.

Total nonsense and yet another lie.

Why then was he a member of the Melbourne International Shooting Club in Port Melbourne and the exclusive Little River Raiders gun club and have all these guns at home?

a) 1x .45 Automatic 'Shooters Arms' model 1911A1 Semi-Automatic Pistol with 10x Magazines

b) 1x .45 Long Colt Calibre 'Ruger' Model New Vaquera 6 Shot Revolver S/N 513-33691

c) 1x .45 long Colt Calibre 'Ruger' Model New Vaquera 6 Shot Revolver S/N 513-33920

d) 1x 308 Winchester Calibre 'Oceania Precision' Model SP25-TAC Semi-Automatic Rifle S/N SPT00038 and 1 Magazine

e) 1x 12 Gauge 'Barathrum Arms' Model S/P 12 Semi-Automatic Shotgun S/N FXF2839

f) 1x 12 Gauge ER 'Amantino' Model A-680 (Boito) Side by Side Shotgun S/N C873299-18

g) 1x 357 Magnum Calibre 'Chiappa Arms' Lever Action Rifle S/N 16E03954

h) 1x 45 Long Colt Winchester Leaver Action Rifle

The only time he tells the truth is when he knows LE has evidence to prove he's a liar.
Hi, I replied to my original post to edit it as I couldn’t any other way.

Oh and GL is totally a liar, I just didn’t want to misquote the interview, regardless of my views on his truthfulness.

Seems to me that anyone who knew of Lynn's hair trigger temper would not want to be in his company in the wilderness while he was armed.

This doubly so if he liked to drink.

And another lie:

GL told a neighbour that he doesn't drink alcohol as he has a heart problem, and is waiting to be cleared so he can start flying again.

And yet in July 2020 he posted pictures drinking wine in the city and just before Christmas he posted pictures with family at a winery with the words "whether arriving by helicopter or s--tbox Nissan Patrol lunch was awesome".

Replying to myself because I can no longer edit.

Edit: GL actually told detectives that the Wonnangatta trip was his first time hunting deer in VIC

I was very tired when I got to the end of the 3.5 hour police interview & thought he said it was his first time ever hunting deer, when in fact he said it was the first time stalking (hunting) deer in VIC

Although, it may still be that GL hadn’t hunted deer before. I just wanted to clarify what he actually said in the interview.

The part about using his new rifle & shotgun for the first time still stands. Although what “using” his guns means is open to interpretation.

From an earlier post of mine:
Prosecution’s closing address to the jury (most relevant parts)

[Rifle and shotgun]
There are certain points where GL, a man you might think is very careful and methodical, falls down on the detail, things he claims not to be able to remember or where he gives an inconsistent answer. One such inconsistency is how he describes the gun. He’s a shooting enthusiast and told you he’s been shooting since the age of 16 when he went shooting with his father. He explained to you how his Barathrum arms was set up. He was very keen on correcting Mr Griffiths about how to hold it, explained what sort of shooting the rifle is good for versus the shotgun, told you how to use the laser point on the gun, to point the dot on the deer, how to focus on its heart and lungs. Yet look at how he describes the firearm that RH is said to have confiscated. Remember, it’s a shotgun yet, yet, at answer 369 he said he approaches RH to retrieve the rifle and RH tells him to fu*k off. At answer 373 in his interview he says he saw the rifle popping up over the bonnet. At answer 693 he says while they’re struggling at the bonnet, RH’s hands were on the rifle. At answer 774 describes the so-called struggle with the knife where he grabbed RH’s wrist again, the same as like he did with the rifle, and he made the same error in his evidence before you. He started to say he put the shotgun away after hunting, then corrected himself and said the rifle. The reason that might have been given for those sorts of inconsistencies – panic, stress. Yet the time, on his account, he’d been most panicked would have been during the incident itself.

The prosecution closes

Is Mr Lynn a voyeur?. Did RH & CC catch him perving on them?. Did the couple in zig zag road catch him perving on them. Heard also that prior to the March 2020 Gl had turned up at a campsite where a husband and wife were camping and after introducing himself and allowing the couple to take a photo with him ( they also took one of his car ) he drove off into the darkness and turned his lights off as he got some distance away. In the morning when the couple woke up GL was at their campsite to say good morning. I have seen both photos and GL's car was painted blue at that time.

Is Mr Lynn a voyeur?. Did RH & CC catch him perving on them?. Did the couple in zig zag road catch him perving on them. Heard also that prior to the March 2020 Gl had turned up at a campsite where a husband and wife were camping and after introducing himself and allowing the couple to take a photo with him ( they also took one of his car ) he drove off into the darkness and turned his lights off as he got some distance away. In the morning when the couple woke up GL was at their campsite to say good morning. I have seen both photos and GL's car was painted blue at that time.
Creepy.

Ooh, that's creepy. Were these friends of yours (the ones who got the photo's) or is the info from another sleuthing/discussion site?

It is
Do you have a link to this information ?

An audio recording captured Melanie bursting into high-pitched, hysterical laughter.
"It looks like your car … it really does!" she exclaimed. "It's not funny, sweetpea," GL replied.

In an earlier ruling, Croucher, J. said Melanie was also captured saying other things on the recording during the 60 Minutes story. "Mrs Lynn joked about Mr Lynn having to hide things, how Mrs Clay did not like camping, and how she got 'donked' on her head after someone got mad with her," the judge wrote.
Link

GL said he didn't tell his wife what happened but we'll never get answers to this:

1. What was GL hiding?
2. Where did she "someone got mad with her" from?
3. Why did the judge write it down?

Finally, how can anyone laugh and joke about anything to do with an event where 2 people died in tragic circumstances and know what happened to their bodies.

If you are to believe Greg in the Police interview, the fateful camping trip was the first time he'd hunted deer. This is really strange to me. For your first time hunting deer, wouldn't you do it with someone who's had some experience? I suppose you could research it, but on your own the first time? Weird!

Regarding solo camping trips...

"A former roommate of Lynn’s back in the 1990s recalled Lynn flying an air ambulance out of Tullamarine."

"The man said even back then the pilot loved to walk alone in the bush, often going on multi-day hikes through Victoria’s High Country and parts of Tasmania"

What the jury wasn’t told about the missing campers case
pleased I am not the only one who finds it weird.

From watching the 3.5 hour interview (which I finally finished tonight, had to keep taking breaks) I gathered the following information:

The Wonnangatta trip was Greg Lynn’s second hunting trip and was his first time both hunting in the Wonnangatta Valley AND stalking deer, as well as his first time using his new rifle + shotgun.

His first and only other hunting trip was on a pig hunting reserve. He went on that expedition alone & camped 10km away from the camp where other hunters were.

None of the rifles he used on that trip were brought with him on his Wonnangatta hunt.
All according to GL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viceroy9101
Back