MI - Lauren Johansen, 22, body found ‘mutilated,’ wrapped in sheets at cemetery, Harrison County, 2 July 2024 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Knox

Reaction score
(WLOX/Gray News) - A missing Mississippi woman’s body was found ‘mutilated’ in sheets and trash bags at a cemetery, according to authorities.

Her ex-boyfriend is now being charged with her death.

According to officials, around 3 p.m., deputies received information about a vehicle belonging to 22-year-old Lauren Johansen located at the cemetery.

When deputies arrived, they said they saw 23-year-old Bricen Rivers running from the vehicle. When deputies approached the vehicle, Johansen was found dead inside.

HARRISON COUNTY, Miss. (WLOX) - Thursday, Lauren Johansen’s mutilated body was discovered in the back seat of her car in Harrison County.

The man charged with her murder, ex-boyfriend Bricen Rivers, was released on bond for a violent felony just days earlier.

In December 2023, Rivers was arrested by Nashville Metro Police and charged with aggravated kidnapping. Lauren Johansen’s father, Lance Johansen, told WLOX News that Rivers brutally beat his daughter and held her hostage while the two were on vacation in Tennessee. He also said that he warned a Nashville judge that Rivers was too dangerous to be let out of jail.

“I sat in the courtroom in Nashville and told the judge that if they let him out, he was going to kill her,” Lance Johansen said. “He had assaulted her — this was probably the fifth or sixth time where they would get into a fight and he would beat her. We would get her away from him for a while, but he would find a way to weasel back in it.”

Police tracked Lauren’s vehicle through OnStar. When it pinged in Harrison County, they called Lance Johansen.

“I knew she was dead,” he said. “When we got there, her car was in the middle of the cemetery and she was in the back of the car wrapped up in sheets and trash bags. She was basically beaten to death. Her face was smashed in, her head was smashed in, she was brutally beaten to the point she couldn’t see out of either eye when she finally died and there was multiple holes in her head. I helped the coroner lift her body out of the car. It was just mutilated.”

NewsChannel 5 Nashville

After our initial reporting, the Nashville DA's office responded, saying they didn't want the bond lowered for Bricen Rivers.

He is the suspect in the death of a Mississippi woman. Rivers was previously arrested in Nashville for brutally beating his then-girlfriend while they were on vacation here. Her family informed NewsChannel 5 this morning it was their daughter who died.

DA's office new statement: https://on.nc5.co/4bsZ1QB

Too many times I've see violent domestic offenders get released when victims who's lives have been threatened end up dead. I can't imagine the frustration, the heartache her family must be facing. He was charged in December with aggravated kidnapping and interfering with an emergency call after she had called her family afraid that he might kill her. (from:It’s Scoop: Nashville on Instagram: "Coordination today between North Precinct officers and Domestic Violence detectives led to the arrest of Bricen John Rivers, 23, of Mississippi, following the kidnapping and brutal beating of his 22-year-old girlfriend Lauren Johansson early this morning. The victim’s family called from out of state advising dispatchers she called them screaming, afraid that her boyfriend may kill her. The couple came to Nashville last Thursday for vacation and were staying at a short-term rental. They had been visiting downtown Sunday evening when Rivers became upset, and they left a bar. While in the car, Rivers began hitting the victim as he was driving and took her phone. Rivers eventually stopped the car in a parking lot where the assault continued, causing the victim to nearly lose consciousness. Officers worked with the victim’s family to obtain her location in North Nashville near Scovel Street, where the couple’s rental car was found at the 9th Street intersection. Officers could hear the victim banging on the vehicle as she tried to escape the attack. She was able to get out the car upon officer’s arrival. Rivers was seen reaching for a firearm in the back seat, but officers were able to interrupt him and he was taken into custody. The victim was transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center with significant injuries, but is expected to make a full recovery. Rivers is charged with especially aggravated kidnapping and interference with an emergency call. He is currently being held in lieu of $251,000 bond.") I dream one day there will be proper protection placed for victims of domestic violence and that serious measures won't be reserved solely for when they get killed. This should have never happened. Rest In Peace Lauren :(

“She was basically beaten to death. Her face was smashed in, her head was smashed in, she was brutally beaten to the point she couldn’t see out of either eye when she finally died and there was multiple holes in her head,” he said. “I helped the coroner lift her body out of the car. It was just mutilated.”

Murder victim’s father alleges years of abuse by boyfriend, claims judicial system failed daughter

BBM

I know this is a minor thing in this horrific story, but does anyone else find it weird that the coroner would let a family member help handling the body after a crime scene has been established?
Is this allowed? I wouldn't think so but would be interesting to hear from insiders.

Regardless, this is another tragedy resulting from IPV and it's appalling how helpless these victims seem to be.
Sad on all fronts.

“She was basically beaten to death. Her face was smashed in, her head was smashed in, she was brutally beaten to the point she couldn’t see out of either eye when she finally died and there was multiple holes in her head,” he said. “I helped the coroner lift her body out of the car. It was just mutilated.”

Murder victim’s father alleges years of abuse by boyfriend, claims judicial system failed daughter

BBM

I know this is a minor thing in this horrific story, but does anyone else find it weird that the coroner would let a family member help handling the body after a crime scene has been established?
Is this allowed? I wouldn't think so but would be interesting to hear from insiders.

Regardless, this is another tragedy resulting from IPV and it's appalling how helpless these victims seem to be.
Sad on all fronts.
Lance Johansen, an orthopedic surgeon, said his daughter Lauren was attending the University of Southern Mississippi to get her nursing degree because she loved helping people.

No, I didn't think it was weird, he's a surgeon. He didn't examine or touch her. I think there are far more concerning things in this case - horrific is an understatement.

Her tragic death, advocates say, is all too common and starkly shows why courts and law enforcement must take more aggressive steps to protect women.

“She was brutally beaten to death,” her father, Lance Johansen, wrote on a page. “He made her suffer.” :mad: :mad: :mad:

“This is just such a horrific case,” said Jennifer Escue, CEO of the Tennessee Coalition to End Domestic and Sexual Violence.

“It’s so preventable, and that’s really hard.”

Nashville authorities released Rivers with no ankle monitor, Johansen’s family said.

A judge lowered his bond from $251,000 to $150,000 this year. Rivers posted that bond at the end of last month, the local sheriff’s office said.

And after he failed to show up for an ankle monitor, Tennessee or Mississippi authorities could have issued an alert for his capture and worked together to notify Johansen and her family, said LaVerne Jackson, the executive director at the Mississippi Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

“None of that happened,” Jackson said. “The victim had no idea he was coming. The ball was dropped.”

[SBM for focus - tlcya]

A judge lowered his bond from $251,000 to $150,000 this year. Rivers posted that bond at the end of last month, the local sheriff’s office said.

And after he failed to show up for an ankle monitor, Tennessee or Mississippi authorities could have issued an alert for his capture and worked together to notify Johansen and her family, said LaVerne Jackson, the executive director at the Mississippi Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

“None of that happened,” Jackson said. “The victim had no idea he was coming. The ball was dropped.”
several missed opportunities to prevent this senseless murder. :(

I fully expect to see a lawsuit from family, if I do I can't fault them for it.

Ohhhh.....it gets worse. Excuse me a moment, because this is going to get shouty.

When his bond reduction was approved in April, it was put in the bond order that when Rivers was released it was not to happen after 4pm because the ankle bracelet company--Tracking Solutions-- closed at 4.

On June 4th, Tracking Solutions got the bond order and was told to contact the DA's office for his specific location limitations.

On June 24th, Rivers was released on bond....AT 4:05 P.M. The Brooke's Bail Bonding agent signed the release form that clearly stated he was to stay in Davidson County.

Since Tracking Solutions closed at 4 p.m., the bond agent TOOK HIM TO A DIFFERENT ANKLE BRACELET COMPANY. Needless to say, that company didn't have his bond order and TOOK HIS WORD FOR IT that he was allowed to return to Mississippi.

(to be continued)

TIMELINE​

Monday, December 11, 2023​

Johansen and Rivers were on vacation together in Nashville. According to court documents, an argument between the couple escalated after leaving a bar.

Metro Nashville Police officers said they found Johansen severely beaten inside a car with Rivers in Germantown, a Nashville suburb. The interior of the car was covered in blood, including a handgun police found inside.

Rivers was arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated kidnapping, one count of aggravated stalking, and one count of coercion of a witness.

Monday, December 18, 2023​

A week later, a preliminary hearing set Rivers’ bond at $250,000. Lauren Johansen’s father, Lance Johansen, told WLOX last week he begged the judge not to let Rivers out of jail.

“I sat in the courtroom in Nashville and told the judge that if they let him out, he was going to kill her,” Lance Johansen said. “He had assaulted her— this was probably the fifth or sixth time where they would get into a fight and he would beat her. We would get her away from him for a while, but he would find a way to weasel back in it.”

Wednesday, March 13, 2024​

Rivers requested a reduced bond.

Wednesday, April 3, 2024​

Judge Cheryl Blackburn approved a reduced bond of $150,000, with specific conditions. Rivers was ordered not to leave Davidson County, Tennessee, and to wear a GPS monitor after posting bond.

Also noted in his bond order— Rivers was not to be released from the jail after 4 p.m. to ensure he could get fitted with the court-ordered GPS monitor company, Tracking Solutions, which closed at that time.

Wednesday, May 15, 2024​

A hearing is held, where Rivers and his mother ask for the conditions of his bond to be changed so he could live in Mississippi instead of Davidson County. The judge denied this request.

Tuesday, June 4, 2024​

Rivers’ assigned probation officer sent a copy of the judge’s order to Tracking Solutions. She requested they email the District Attorney’s office to retrieve the appropriate addresses for exclusion zones.

Rivers’ attorney provided the Court with the address he would allegedly be staying at in Davidson County.

Monday, June 24, 2024​

Records show Rivers was let out of jail on Monday, June 24 at 4:05 pm.

A Brooke’s Bail Bonding agent signed his release form, which shows Rivers was not to leave Davidson County.

Although the judge ordered Rivers to get his ankle monitor from Tracking Solutions, the bail agent took him to a different company— Freedom Monitoring Services— because Tracking Solutions was closed.

A court report from Freedom Monitoring says when Rivers was brought in, the bond order was not available. They apparently took Rivers’ word that he was allowed to return to Mississippi and did not set the GPS tracking perimeter to Davidson County.

Friday, June 28, 2024​

It wasn’t until the following Friday that Freedom Monitoring received the bond paperwork. Around 5 p.m., the company also received a “no communication alert” and contacted Rivers, ordering him to return to Nashville immediately to be fit with a new monitor.

On the same day, Rivers’ probation officer reached out to Tracking Solutions, who informed her Rivers had never reported to them. Tracking Solutions then sent a violation report to the District Attorney’s office, who informed the Court that Rivers was in violation of his bond conditions.

The District Attorney’s office called Johansen’s dad to alert him Rivers had not reported for an ankle monitor and had not been heard from— a message he didn’t hear until Monday.

This is Bailey calling from the district attorney’s office in Nashville. Bricen Rivers was released from custody. He was supposed to report straight to a GPS company and be put on a GPS monitor and he was not to leave Davidson County. But as soon as he was released, he did not report to that GPS monitoring company, and he has not been heard from. I wanted to make sure Lauren is safe.
Davidson County District Attorney's Office

Saturday, June 29, 2024​

Rivers arrived back in Nashville Saturday around 4 p.m. and was fitted with a new GPS monitor.

Monday, July 1, 2024​

Freedom Monitoring said that Rivers’ monitor battery went down to six percent. They say they called him at 10:09 p.m., telling him to charge it, which he did.

Around midnight, Rivers called in to say he wouldn’t be able to make it to Court in Nashville the next day due to him not having a ride.

On this day, Johansen’s dad discovers the message the District Attorney left on his phone Friday. He says he could no longer get in contact with her, and that he received a text message that didn’t seem like it came from her.

Tuesday, July 2, 2024​

Early Tuesday morning, Johansen’s dad received a notification that her Life360 tracker had been turned off. Johansen’s sister, who she lived with, said she wasn’t home, and the security camera at their front door was destroyed.

Johansen’s family reported her missing to the Hattiesburg Police Department.

Freedom Monitoring says Rivers’ battery started going down around 10 a.m., and he was not responding to messages throughout the day. They say they contacted Rivers’ mother, who hadn’t heard from him or seen him.

The Court issued a warrant for Rivers for being in violation of court orders, after learning he had been in Mississippi since June 24 and on a GPS monitor with the wrong company.

Rivers’ last location before the monitor died was on Beach Boulevard in Biloxi. Once the tracker was at zero percent, Freedom Monitoring alerted his probation officer and bonding company.

July 2 was also the day Lauren was killed, according to the Harrison County Coroner’s Office.

Wednesday, July 3, 2024​

Hattiesburg PD used OnStar to track Johansen’s car. They locate it at Wolf River Cemetery in Harrison County.

HPD requests Harrison County Sheriff’s Department’s help in conducting a welfare check at that location.

That’s when a deputy finds the car and witnesses Rivers allegedly running from the vehicle into the woods. Johansen’s body was found in her own car, wrapped in trash bags and sheets.

A six-hour manhunt ensues before law enforcement lures Rivers out of the woods and takes him into custody.

He was taken to the Harrison County Adult Detention Center and issued a $1 million bond.

Continuing from my previous post

The "new" bracelet company--Freedom Monitoring-- got his bond orders 4 days later on a Friday (June 28)--but somehow just didn't notice the part about "can't leave Davidson County." Later that day they got a no communication alert from his bracelet and told him to come back to Nashville for a new bracelet.

Also on that Friday, River's probation officer contacted Tracking Solutions--where he was supposed to have gotten his bracelet from...and was told that he had never come in. Probation officer contacted the DA's office. DA's office then tried to call Lauren but couldn't get ahold of her, so they left a msg for Lauren's dad, which he didn't hear until Monday---I wonder if they called his work # and left the message on voicemail there.

I also really like how many articles are glossing over this fact:

Her dad got the alert at 4 am. on Tuesday, July 2nd that her Life360 had been turned off. Lauren's younger sister (who she lived with) then called Dad to say that Lauren wasn't home, their security camera had been destroyed, and the door was left open. He called the police in Lauren's town to report all this and report her missing. When Dad arrived there later that morning, the police had done nothing. They didn't even attempt to track her car through OnStar until late afternoon the NEXT DAY--Wed-- after Dad insisted. Oddly enough, once they pinged OnStar, they were able to get a location on her car right away...which led them to the cemetery where she was already dead in the car and Rivers was running away from it.

The coroner believes she was killed sometime on Tuesday--you know the day that Lauren's father notified the police in the middle of the night that she was missing. By the time anyone got around to tracking her OnStar, she was already dead.

SO MANY PEOPLE DIDN'T DO THEIR JOBS, AND THIS YOUNG WOMAN PAID FOR IT.

View attachment 516878
Lauren Johansen

October 30, 2001 — July 2, 2024​

Vancleave​

Miss Lauren Johansen, age 22, of Vancleave, passed away on Tuesday, July 2, 2024.

Lauren Porter Johansen, age 22, of Vancleave, passed away on Tuesday, July 2, 2024.

Lauren was born on October 30, 2001 in Ocean Springs. She graduated from Vancleave High School and was a nursing student at the University of Southern Mississippi. She was in the National Honor Society and on the Dean’s list. She was also an Ulta Beauty Representative and loved outdoor activities.

Lauren enjoyed horseback riding and going to the beach. She was an animal rescuer and injured animal rescuer who loved playing with animals. Lauren was also a make-up artist, she sang in the choir, and she loved spending time with her brothers and sister.

Lauren was preceded in death by her paternal grandparents, Robert “Bobby Jo” Johansen and Kathy Johansen.
Survivors include her parents Robert Lance Johansen and Tamela Robinson Johansen; siblings, Kylar Johansen, Christian Johansen, and Katelyn Johansen; maternal grandparents, Paul Wilcox and Judy Wilcox; uncle, Chris Johansen; aunt, Natasha Johansen; her dogs, Mercy Mae and Bentley Jo; cats, Marley and Mimosa; and rescue horse, Cocoa.

A funeral service will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, July 13, 2024 at Bradford-O’Keefe Funeral Home, 15th Street, Gulfport. Friends may visit from 11:00 a.m. until service time. Interment will follow at Floral Hills Memorial Gardens. Bradford-O’Keefe Funeral Home, 15th Street, Gulfport is honored to serve the Johansen family.

The family has requested donations be made to the set up as ANIMAL LOVER BRUTAL MURDER Lauren Johansen's Final Wishes.

Oh, she was so young. This is heartbreaking.

Lance Johansen, an orthopedic surgeon, said his daughter Lauren was attending the University of Southern Mississippi to get her nursing degree because she loved helping people.

No, I didn't think it was weird, he's a surgeon. He didn't examine or touch her. I think there are far more concerning things in this case - horrific is an understatement.
I'm not surprised to see that she was a nursing student. People in that profession, and other caregiving fields, often have very bad track records when it comes to choosing partners, because they want to save them.

The above post was gender neutral for a reason, and is not victim-blaming.

It sounds like to me that OnStar would have responded very quickly once LE actually made the request...which makes it all the more frustrating.

"
There may be emergency situations that do not involve a stolen vehicle where public safety officials request OnStar assistance in determining vehicle location involving a missing person. Situations include individuals who may be suicidal, endangered or have dementia/Alzheimer's.  OnStar will attempt to locate a vehicle for this purpose.  

OnStar requires a missing person report be initiated for these situations in order to work with law enforcement to help locate the vehicle of the missing person.  "

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back