PA - Assassination attempt, shooting injures former POTUS Donald Trump, leaves 1 spectator deceased two in critical condition, 13 July 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Director Cheatle can be fired and the investigation will continue.

I don't seen any reason why Secret Service investigators can't take directions from current supervisors and Cheatle's replacement. It's not like she's the only person who can lead the SS.

Besides she testified that the FBI is investigating this event. She's obviously separated from that organization and her leaving the Secret Service would have zero effect on them. JMO.
And...if the investigation finds that her actions or inactions had no impact on the attempted assassination, should we hire her back and say, "my bad?"

MOO

I don’t expect her to micromanage everything, but, dagnabit, when something goes wrong, her job is to wade in and untangle the fishing line.
There is no call for cursing on here. :p
I didn't see the hearing as political theater at all. This was the most non-partisan hearing I have seen this century, maybe since before Waterrgate. She got grilled by left and right and still refused to answer simple questions. What was she hiding?

She got the job because she was extremely well qualified. As any woman must be, to get any job.

Before an inexperienced 20 year old man tried to murder the former president Trump and didn't care who else was in the way-- nor whom he killed or injured, and nearly succeeded ; I may have not totally disagreed.

What has been playing out these past few days and esp. recently is appalling and depressing.
At this time and going forward I'd have to rethink if Ms. Cheatle is 'well qualified', imo.
Looking at July 13th from the outside of the investigation, people didn't know how the director of the secret service would've responded to an active threat; never mind the ill-preparedness of the security for this rally ?

Now the people know quite a bit.
It helped that people have phones and are ready to film anything, such as TC moving upwards on that roof in full view of others ?
The fbi have provided information to the secret service.
It's disheartening to listen to Ms. Cheatle deflect and give non-answers.
Omo.

Agree. Even if she were to resign or be fired tomorrow, she would still be liable to investigation and rendering accounts etc for the time she was employed?
I wouldn't be surprised if she refused to cooperate in future questioning based on her performance today.

Invoke the 5th Amendment maybe? JMO.

This is not about the politicians, it is about Cheatle. We are all smart enough to ignore the political theater. There are answers that can be answered right now in front of us all, and her seeming distain for providing it is disgusting.
Everyone expects and anticipates a full investigation, but I, for one also expect the head of the Secret Service to care enough about what happened to actually visit the site before nine days had passed. I expect her face to be plastered in videos of her striding around Butler PA engaged in active serious conversations with agents and local LE. Where the heck has she been? At least she could pretend to be engaged.
I don’t expect her to micromanage everything, but, dagnabit, when something goes wrong, her job is to wade in and untangle the fishing line. She can sit behind her desk signing cr&p every single day, but concerning this she needs to get the h#ll up and DO something and she has done nothing for nine days. If she manages as apathetically as she appears, there is no questions as to why SS moral is so low.
Perception is in many ways reality. The reality is Cheatle may have been an outstanding SS agent, but in nine short days, she has proven herself to he a lousy leader. She is the definition of the Peter Principal.
Most of the questions the public wants to hear do not require violating national security, or anyone’s due process and should and can be answered now instead of two months from now. Answers will probably embarrass some folks, hurt some folks feelings, be hard to accept, anger folks. There will be yelling and screaming, and finger pointing, tears and disappointment. It’s going to hurt all of us. But I would rather have that than have to sit through two months of expressionless faces, and read about due process.
Somebody upthread commented that this is just not the way internal investigations are done. Well, it should be.
She has failed to hold a press conference but did THREE TV interviews. She was NOT present at the FBI press conference.

Leaders, lead, they STAND UP, when the going gets tuff!!! She is responsible for 8k employees.

She knows, moo, that there were major failures, and possible discrimination in levels of service. I hold her personally responsible for the death of an American citizen, the potential assassination of a former president, and severe injury of two. This has changed the lives of four family's forever and created distrust among Americans.

She clearly does not have the strength or fortitude to operate under destress.

There is no call for cursing on here. :p
I didn't see the hearing as political theater at all. This was the most non-partisan hearing I have seen this century, maybe since before Waterrgate. She got grilled by left and right and still refused to answer simple questions. What was she hiding?
Bbm.

Maybe something ?
Maybe nothing ?

But Ms. Cheatles' not making the secret service look very good at all.
A competent director would have answers by now, would've visited the rally location, and would also know where the chain of command broke down.
We don't know for certain how many times -- but the ss were warned about TC's actions well before Trump started to speak.
Omo.

I wouldn't be surprised if she refused to cooperate in future questioning based on her performance today.

Can even state appointed staff do that? Sorry for my ignorance

I don't understand your point.

It's clear that the head of an agency like the Secret Service should be responsible and accountable for their job performance.

Director Cheatle has done a poor job in protecting President Trump and the rally attendees. And her testimony today reinforces her shortcomings. JMO.
I find it mindbogglingly that KC has yet to visit the venue where the rally was held.

"At times the truth takes a form of grey, neither hot, nor cold. Yet still true to itself"

And meaningless fake mysticism aside, I think the answer is an exacting: "Yes, and no".

State appointed staff can invoke the fifth amendment for to avoid self incrimination regarding criminal activity. But, they cant "take the fifth" regarding administrative purposes such as evaluations of competency.

But.... things might get complicated when the line between inquiries for future criminal prosecution and administrative inquiries to determine competency get blurry.

Last edited:
Nobody can be compelled to testify against themself, but the questions are not along the lines of her criminal behavior. For example, it would not be self-incriminating to say there has been mission creep or unfilled positions. Most questions I have heard would not be questions she could dodge by invoking her right to not incriminate herself.

IANAL.

MOO

Nobody can be compelled to testify against themself, but the questions are not along the lines of her criminal behavior. For example, it would not be self-incriminating to say there has been mission creep or unfilled positions. Most questions I have heard would not be questions she could dodge by invoking her right to not incriminate herself.

IANAL.

MOO
She wouldn't even ask how many bullets were fired, and admitted the FBI had told her.
Bizarre, one of the most bizarre Congressional hearings I've ever witnessed.
Moo

She wouldn't even ask how many bullets were fired, and admitted the FBI had told her.
Bizarre, one of the most bizarre Congressional hearings I've ever witnessed.
Moo
I don't understand Director Cheatle's refusal to answer even basic questions that have no reason to be kept secret like the number of shell casings that were recovered.

Obviously revealing that number would not compromise the ongoing investigation because the media has a good idea of the number of shots fired from recordings.

What is she afraid of? JMO.

This is not about the politicians, it is about Cheatle. We are all smart enough to ignore the political theater. There are answers that can be answered right now in front of us all, and her seeming distain for providing it is disgusting.
Everyone expects and anticipates a full investigation, but I, for one also expect the head of the Secret Service to care enough about what happened to actually visit the site before nine days had passed. I expect her face to be plastered in videos of her striding around Butler PA engaged in active serious conversations with agents and local LE. Where the heck has she been? At least she could pretend to be engaged.
I don’t expect her to micromanage everything, but, dagnabit, when something goes wrong, her job is to wade in and untangle the fishing line. She can sit behind her desk signing cr&p every single day, but concerning this she needs to get the h#ll up and DO something and she has done nothing for nine days. If she manages as apathetically as she appears, there is no questions as to why SS moral is so low.
Perception is in many ways reality. The reality is Cheatle may have been an outstanding SS agent, but in nine short days, she has proven herself to he a lousy leader. She is the definition of the Peter Principal.
Most of the questions the public wants to hear do not require violating national security, or anyone’s due process and should and can be answered now instead of two months from now. Answers will probably embarrass some folks, hurt some folks feelings, be hard to accept, anger folks. There will be yelling and screaming, and finger pointing, tears and disappointment. It’s going to hurt all of us. But I would rather have that than have to sit through two months of expressionless faces, and read about due process.
Somebody upthread commented that this is just not the way internal investigations are done. Well, it should be.
Bbm.
Agreed.

Speculation here :
Makes one wonder whether Ms. Cheatle knows more about the assassination attempt and doesn't want to reveal it ?
Or, problems within the secret service itself ?
Anyone and everyone who has hired security needs to know they're in competent hands !
Omo.

This inquiry today was telling story, of someone (Cheatle) hiding behind a title. I don't know if she's lazy, inept, or opinionated, but when you are in charge of security, she needed to do her job, and she failed. How did a 20 yr old without any special terrorist training, manage to squeeze off a shot to a political figure? She doesn't know? Fire her now, before another incident occurs. I would have given her a little grace, but she sounded today like she was clueless, and doesn't know what she did wrong, or doesn't know how to do anything different. What is the world thinking about us now. It's frightening.

Representative Glenn Grothman, Republican of Wisconsin: “Could you elaborate why you want one-third of the Secret Service to be women?”

Ms. Cheatle: “I’ve never stated that I want one-third of the Secret Service to be women.”

Mr. Grothman is most likely referring to comments made by Ms. Cheatle in 2023.

“I’m very conscious as I sit in this chair now, of making sure that we need to attract diverse candidates and ensure that we are developing and giving opportunities to everybody in our workforce, and particularly women,” Ms. Cheatle said in a May 2023 interview with CBS.

Her interview appears to refer to an initiative known as “30x30,” a program that law enforcement agencies across the country, including the Secret Service, signed onto.

The goal of the program is to “increase the representation of women in police recruit classes by 30 percent in 2030” — not for the entire work force to be 30 percent female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper