MI MI - Kelly Lee Gravit, 49, old traumatic brain injury, walked out of alcohol rehab center, Berrien Center, 11 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ifindedout

Reaction score
Police say on November 11, 2023, just before 9 p.m., Gravit walked away from a medical facility in Berrien Township, located in the 6400 block of Dean's Hill Road.

Note: the story below has a blatantly incorrect date of Friday, Nov. 19, which was in fact a Sunday. I'm convinced that what was meant instead was Friday, Nov. 10, which matches other sources.
Six weeks after a man from Michigan walked away from a rehab center, his family fears someone may have taken advantage of his vulnerability.

Kelly Lee Gravit wrestled with alcohol dependency since he was a teen. His problem was exacerbated by a serious car accident, when he went headfirst through a windshield at 130 miles per hour and sustained a closed head injury.

For years, Kelly tried to kick his alcohol habit, going in and out of rehab. Sometimes it would work for weeks, once as long as six months.

But on Friday, Nov. 19, Kelly decided to try another attempt at sobriety. He checked himself into the Sacred Heart Rehab Center in Berrien County, Michigan, to detox from alcohol.

[...]

Gary Gravit, Kelly’s father, said Kelly’s head injury makes him vulnerable.

“Right now, it’s a 12-year-old in a 49-year-old’s body who’s missing,” he said.

ETA: do not confuse Gravit with Kelly Gravitt, 34, an Army vet missing from the Big Island of Hawai'i, for whom we also have a thread.

Last edited:
Detox is done in a hospital due to its inherent dangers (hallucinations and seizures that can be fatal, are not uncommon if trying to detox without medical help). This is so worrisome.

Police say on November 11, 2023, just before 9 p.m., Gravit walked away from a medical facility in Berrien Township, located in the 6400 block of Dean's Hill Road.

Note: the story below has a blatantly incorrect date of Friday, Nov. 19, which was in fact a Sunday. I'm convinced that what was meant instead was Friday, Nov. 10, which matches other sources.

Six weeks after a man from Michigan walked away from a rehab center, his family fears someone may have taken advantage of his vulnerability.

Kelly Lee Gravit wrestled with alcohol dependency since he was a teen. His problem was exacerbated by a serious car accident, when he went headfirst through a windshield at 130 miles per hour and sustained a closed head injury.

For years, Kelly tried to kick his alcohol habit, going in and out of rehab. Sometimes it would work for weeks, once as long as six months.

But on Friday, Nov. 19, Kelly decided to try another attempt at sobriety. He checked himself into the Sacred Heart Rehab Center in Berrien County, Michigan, to detox from alcohol.

[...]

Gary Gravit, Kelly’s father, said Kelly’s head injury makes him vulnerable.

“Right now, it’s a 12-year-old in a 49-year-old’s body who’s missing,” he said.

ETA: do not confuse Gravit with Kelly Gravitt, 34, an Army vet missing from the Big Island of Hawai'i, for whom we also have a thread.
Pasting a photo of him from the linked article.
Also noting that one of the articles said he left without his teeth. IMG_0911.jpeg

Face looks promising, though the UID is a little too tall (5'9 vs. 5'6 to 5'8 for Kelly Lee).
My opinion only but it looks as if the deceased had only been dead a very short time when found in late January, Even with the cold, within days after death you're going to see some discoloration of the skin, due to the release of sulfur compounds during decomp (though that's more noticeable on the anterior abdominal wall than the face). Facial features though - there is a resemblance, thought the height is off. If it is Kelly he would have been alive a couple months after leaving rehab. I hope whoever this unidentified man's family is - they find him and can bury him properly and say their goodbyes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back