Japan - Miyazawa family of 4 murdered, Setagaya, Tokyo, 30 Dec 2000 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One thing in general about US bases....

They come in two general flavors:
A. Troop bases
B. Support type bases

Though all servicemen can be described as troops, the slang use was to refer to the base having Army or Marine ground combat units. Everybody else was "support".

Getting to the point:

"Troop bases" can have an awful lot more more drama associated with them than the generally more tranquil support bases. Gate Guards at troop bases may be more accustomed to, and thus less inclined to log in various drama such as: "No, I was never in a fight. I actually, uhmm....slipped and fell" Or... "I was trying a "Hold my Beer- watch this" stunt.

But the base in question seems to be a support base in the slang sense. Thus, potentially far more tranquil. Injuries and bandages at the gate could stand out a lot more- and be more likely to result in referral to the NCO in charge.

One exception could be for somebody (youths included) driving a car bearing a sticker denoting a senior officer (Colonel and above). In these cases, only obvious red flags may result in scrutiny.

I dont have any actual military experience, but I think getting back on the base with visible drama could be hard. I would, however, defer to somebody with actual military experience.

Last edited:
One thing in general about US bases....

They come in two general flavors:
A. Troop bases
B. Support type bases

Though all servicemen can be described as troops, the slang use was to refer to the base having Army or Marine ground combat units. Everybody else was "support".

Getting to the point:

"Troop bases" can have an awful lot more more drama associated with them than the generally more tranquil support bases. Gate Guards at troop bases may be more accustomed to, and thus less inclined to log in various drama such as: "No, I was never in a fight. I actually, uhmm....slipped and fell" Or... "I was trying a "Hold my Beer- watch this" stunt.

But the base in question seems to be a support base in the slang sense. Thus, potentially far more tranquil. Injuries and bandages at the gate could stand out a lot more- and be more likely to result in referral to the NCO in charge.

One exception could be for somebody (youths included) driving a car bearing a sticker denoting a senior officer (Colonel and above). In these cases, only obvious red flags may result in scrutiny.

I dont have any actual military experience, but I think getting back on the base with visible drama could be hard. I would, however, defer to somebody with actual military experience.

From my observation of an aunt whose husband was in USSR AirForce. I assume some peculiarities of human behavior at military bases are the same everywhere. Restricted life generates many internal gossips. So maybe your car is not stopped if you are a colonel level or above, but if you or your family member gets out of the car with a wound or a bandage, it is hard to not notice for the people inside the base, and rumors start. Unless you stay in the house for a few days, and then leave straight home. So while a wound could have not been seen at the gate, anyone noticing it inside would probably discuss it, or any change of the behavior could be noticed, and remembered. Granted, it is just before the New Year, but I can imagine that an adult would have to feign an illness and a kid, too, find a good reason not to be seen by the mates.

One of my issues has been the knife being purchased at the market. If the killer was American, as some suspect, wouldn’t he stand out purchasing such a knife? However, if the knife was purchased from a booth, at a market where ONLY Americans were allowed to shop, he may not stand out.
I think in the case of the American POI we are looking at someone who, while American, still doesn’t look too different initially from Japanese people to stand out as one. An Asian-American with a potentially Korean/Chinese/Japanese background, who wouldn’t stand out too much buying a knife off of the base as a foreigner and wouldn’t stand out buying one on base as an American either…

Just from quick looks through sources we’ve had posted here Asian-Americans did make up some of the population on YAFB.

Very interesting points about the shoes and knife potentially being sold on the base too though…

I think in the case of the American POI we are looking at someone who, while American, still doesn’t look too different initially from Japanese people to stand out as one. An Asian-American with a potentially Korean/Chinese/Japanese background, who wouldn’t stand out too much buying a knife off of the base as a foreigner and wouldn’t stand out buying one on base as an American either…

Just from quick looks through sources we’ve had posted here Asian-Americans did make up some of the population on YAFB.

Very interesting points about the shoes and knife potentially being sold on the base too though…
My POI matches black hair TMPD reported, which is consistent with “Asian” hair. Although only from viewing 3 pictures of him, I could see him appearing “Asian” with the disguise he wore (scarf and bucket hat).

I’m starting to believe he acquired more than just the shoes and knife from the market vendors at Yokota. Possibly handkerchief. And he may have shoplifted items too. Killing was probably not his first rodeo. Shoplifting is acknowledged as a gateway crime.

Last edited:
From my observation of an aunt whose husband was in USSR AirForce. I assume some peculiarities of human behavior at military bases are the same everywhere.
I agree. Some aspects of military culture are universal.

But.... there can be a different type of 18 year old seeking out service in ground combat units and a different type of 18 year old seeking out say, service with the computer driven Strategic Satellite Communications regiment.

In the end, soldiers assigned to combat units can be a little bit more.... uhmmm.... "rowdy" than soldiers in support units. This can mean a higher number of gate problems at combat bases than at support bases.

In the end, I suspect that servicemen seeking to re enter the base in question with "I slipped and fell" or "bad luck" type explanations for injuries are going to stand out more than at a combat troop base.

I agree. Some aspects of military culture are universal.

But.... there can be a different type of 18 year old seeking out service in ground combat units and a different type of 18 year old seeking out say, service with the computer driven Strategic Satellite Communications regiment.

In the end, soldiers assigned to combat units can be a little bit more.... uhmmm.... "rowdy" than soldiers in support units. This can mean a higher number of gate problems at combat bases than at support bases.

In the end, I suspect that servicemen seeking to re enter the base in question with "I slipped and fell" or "bad luck" type explanations for injuries are going to stand out more than at a combat troop base.

A person can keep a spare of everything in his car, gloves, more clothes. I always thought that a motorcycle would be easier to park closer to Miyazawas’ house than a car, but in a car, one has better potential of not causing suspicion.

You might speculate that he cleaned all other traces of a previous owner from the bag; how does he do this while still leaving sand grains and dust and ink?

Either way, it suggests it probably wouldn't be a good idea to walk around Tokyo all day with a knife handle sticking out of your bag. Remember the public mood at the time had shifted and the late 90s were fraught with a sudden wave of violence. The Kobe Child Murders, the Hostess Murders, the Hachioji Supermarket Murders, to say nothing of the Sarin Gas Attacks. I think, particularly at a time of year when people are going home to family and so on, it's reasonable to conclude that a lone male walking around at night with a knife in his bag, his face covered etc -- this would've likely been noted somewhere along the way, let alone him being injured after the murders.

So yes, for me, it feels like a car is a likely solution.

I'm thinking about the idea that the hip bag had no other DNA on it except for the perp's.

Might this imply that the bag had not been carried on Tokyo public transit? Either this particular night or ever?

What I'm asking is whether Tokyo public transit is generally sufficiently crowded that one would expect DNA from at least a few others who are standing so close as to press or bump up against a bag like that one? Even just aerosol transmission from the breath or sweat or coughs/sneezes of other passengers. Wouldn't a hip bag worn on crowded public transit be certain to have DNA from several people on it? (unless it was inside a bigger bag such as a backpack or duffel).

So maybe that is further indication that the perp drove rather than took transit.

Of course on the other hand maybe the bag wasn't used daily but only brought out of storage for this night, I guess we don't know.

MOO

Perfect example of a primary source stating misinformation (or unknowns) as known fact.

Japan Today published a few hours ago.

“During this time, he used the computer, ate snacks from the refrigerator, treated his bloody wounds with a first aid kit, and took a nap on the living room sofa.”
Zero evidence for that.

“…such as a DNA profile suggesting the killer was mixed race.”

As discussed at length, this is completely flawed and the TMPD say nothing of the sort in their own briefings and casefile.

“…trace amounts of sand from the Nevada desert being found in his hip bag.”

The provenance is yet to be determined.

I'm thinking about the idea that the hip bag had no other DNA on it except for the perp's.

Might this imply that the bag had not been carried on Tokyo public transit? Either this particular night or ever?

What I'm asking is whether Tokyo public transit is generally sufficiently crowded that one would expect DNA from at least a few others who are standing so close as to press or bump up against a bag like that one? Even just aerosol transmission from the breath or sweat or coughs/sneezes of other passengers. Wouldn't a hip bag worn on crowded public transit be certain to have DNA from several people on it? (unless it was inside a bigger bag such as a backpack or duffel).

So maybe that is further indication that the perp drove rather than took transit.

Of course on the other hand maybe the bag wasn't used daily but only brought out of storage for this night, I guess we don't know.

MOO
Good point. And seeing as we know the bag was “well-worn” and that he was living the student lifestyle, that suggests to me a bag in frequent use.

Good point. And seeing as we know the bag was “well-worn” and that he was living the student lifestyle, that suggests to me a bag in frequent use.
Another thing is, I once wore a waist bag when in training as I had to have my hands free. In the 90es they were popular. Mine was a black leather waist pack and the stuff in it wasn’t flat like his, but it was definitely noticeable. Things around the waist are. So a student coming to classes with an army waist pack would be remembered, and I trust TMPD is asking in local universities. I assume that either he wore the bag under a hoodie (he had small waist), or it was not a part of his daily uniform.

Scary to ask, but did anyone living near Edwards base or at it disappear there, or during a trip to Japan, several years prior?

Scary to ask, but did anyone living near Edwards base or at it disappear there, or during a trip to Japan, several years prior?
There is a series of unsolved murders in the surrounding towns, including a home invasion (though the local police maintains they ‘know’ who is responsible for that particular one).

There is a series of unsolved murders in the surrounding towns, including a home invasion (though the local police maintains they ‘know’ who is responsible for that particular one).
That won’t surprise me. 6 on Jizo may be unrelated, or some number that makes sense. If the perp was at the base at 13-14, he’d be convenient for a home invasion.

I am thinking that if he was not a local and is in the US now, then his travels are limited. Even on a planned trip to a place where fingerprints are not needed, the plane may be derailed due to weather, through a country that needs fingerprints. I have traveled extensively, but I don’t pay attention to the process and remember only China. I assume US needs them it as my dad developed physical trouble with fingerprints when he was in his 70es.
But other than that for an American, I guess trips to Canada and Mexico don’t require it and maybe, cruises because you know they won’t be derailed. Otherwise, it limits the possibilities.

Although as previously reported, LE did not find a sexual motivation to the murders, some like Dr A. believe there is a connection between break ins and future sex assaults and murder.
Considering the Setagaya perp is a young, fit and obviously brutal male, wondering if the long sharp sashimi knife was a 'stand in' and the frenzied stabbing, an act of rape, after which he is hungry, thirsty and possibly sleepy too?
Was the manual strangulation basically foreplay ?
Did he hang around so he could be there to watch the 'fireworks' when what he has done is discovered by family and LE, is that particular horror the real climax?
He may not have been fingerprinted for prior crimes because just like this one, he has so far gotten away with them.

Snippets from lengthy and informative article. rbbm imo, speculation.
April 25, 2018
Michael Arntfield Associate Professor of Criminology & English Literature, Western University

''A recently published Canadian study confirms that of 624 convicted and federally incarcerated sex offenders, including sexual and serial murderers, interviewed over a six-year period, breaking-and-entering was the prevailing first offence committed during the formative years of their criminal careers.
Indeed, the study suggests, breaking into residential dwellings is more likely to be sexually motivated than previously thought.''

''In reality, however, supposedly “unfounded” or “attempted” cases are the ones that actually merit the most investigative attention.
That’s because, unlike a conventional break-in where items have been stolen, the intruder who was merely looking and took nothing is not pursued at all, even though he may have had far more sinister motives. ''

''4) Active Desecration. The opposite of the previous three typologies, the offender in this case wants his presence to be known, but is unlikely to steal anything, instead causing property damage only. In this case, the offender is often aroused by the thought of the shock and horror experienced by the occupant(s) upon returning to the dwelling to find it ransacked. The damage is often of an especially invasive or humiliating nature, such as urinating in a child’s bedroom or destroying family albums. The offender may remain in the area to watch the occupant(s) return and relish in the aftermath from a distance.''

''Passive Desecration. A combination of Typology 2 and Typology 4, the offender will typically enter with precision and leave no obvious sign of his entry or presence other than carefully moved or modified personal belongings. While rarely is anything stolen, the intruder may eat an item from the refrigerator, lay down in a bed and leave their shape in the comforter, move or transpose photographs or other personal effects''

ctively pleaded with the local police force to not get involved as it would be handled internally.

Still happens, even in the US. Just look at Ft Hood (now Ft Cavazos), for example.

Also of possible interest in re current US military/Japanese gov/police relations:

Still happens, even in the US. Just look at Ft Hood (now Ft Cavazos), for example.

Also of possible interest in re current US military/Japanese gov/police relations:

Thanks for posting, Cenazoic. At the bottom of the article, there’s a link for 2 more similar incidents, sexual in nature. While TMPD adamantly denies there was any sexual assault with the Miyazawa murders, might this be another angle they’re covering up?

Jun 25, 2024
View attachment 522200View attachment 522201
Interesting to see just how close the killer was to a koban police box on that night… I did not know he was so close to one.
I just checked Google maps and it was less than a 5 minute walk away.
If they were out on patrol that night he could’ve come very close to being seen… I’m assuming the officers at the police box were questioned that night about anything.
There is also a shrine to the left too just a few minutes away. It would make sense religious people were about in the area to place a jizo statue then? Even if no one has come forward about it.
IMG_3533.jpeg

I might have missed the explanation of what a koban or police box is, exactly so I read this article. That's super interesting!

Re: Koban, they are figuratively and often quite literally life saving to have around. They are manned 24 hours and serve many purposes, and in Tokyo and the surrounding areas you are never far away from one.

The Koban being there would have likely affected his decision on the way and which way he escaped from the house. Be it via car or foot, I doubt he was going by it or near it to get away. Based on the surroundings it may even be possible to estimate the route he escaped. JMO.

Had anyone heard anything suspicious from the house they could have simply walked it and reported the noise and the officers would have gone. He was definitely very lucky.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TRussell
Back