Arizona girl, 2, left in car by father on 109-degree day and is found dead

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More information from that link (paraphrasing):

July 9th, day of daughter’s death, CCTV captured Chris going into a grocery store- alone.

Then on his way home he stopped at a gas station, video showed him going into the restroom, was seen on video holding a case of beer. Then video showed him exiting the restroom with a beer in hand, without paying for the beer.

“Pillar of the community” yeah, right. :mad:

Since it's been established that one of the charges may be 1st degree murder, I wonder if there is even more evidence regarding a potential motive ...I don't want to speculate yet.

Also, I can't believe their mother, E., stayed with this man for as long as she did. What was she afraid would happen if she left? I think she did love her daughters and the texts released indicate she was mentally "over" him, so why let him stay and keep doing this kind of thing?

Of course he would have tried to take every penny possible in a divorce, but so what? Freedom is priceless.

Looks like it’s true!

A Pima County grand jury has reviewed the case against the girl's father Christopher Scholtes as investigators start learning more about an alleged pattern of reckless behavior with his children.

Christopher Scholtes’ charges have been increased to first-degree murder after a grand jury reviewed the case. Christopher Scholtes remains out of custody after having to not post any bond.

The indictment was signed yesterday just after 1 p.m.

Detectives interviewed Scholtes’ other two children. One of the kids told the forensic interviewer that she was to tell the person interviewing her that dad was a good dad and it was just an accident.

One of the children stated the car was off when they were taken inside which doesn’t match Scholtes’ claims that he left the AC running.

Much more at the link. One child estimated the number of times they were left in the car to be about 59 which substantiates the older girl’s story.

And more texts were recovered:

“You haven’t shown you can stop putting the girls in danger or treating me badly. Even yesterday you drove home drunk with two minors. You drink to excess every time. I have been asking for three years for you to cut back but it's actually gotten worse.”

March 21st: “Why were you going 138 with our baby in the car with alcohol in your system?

Chris answered : “You hate me. She was sleeping it’s fine.”

OMG! I wonder which parent instructed the kids to say their dad is a good dad?

This is so much worse than a “Big mistake!”
WHY IN THE HELL HAS THIS GUY NOT BEEN REMANDED INTO CUSTODY?!!!

More information from that link (paraphrasing):

July 9th, day of daughter’s death, CCTV captured Chris going into a grocery store- alone.

Then on his way home he stopped at a gas station, video showed him going into the restroom, was seen on video holding a case of beer. Then video showed him exiting the restroom with a beer in hand, without paying for the beer.

“Pillar of the community” yeah, right. :mad:

Oh, wow. Yeah, how can he be out on bond without an ankle bracelet or alcohol monitor with a charge of first degree murder?

Is he getting preferential treatment because his wife is a doctor and probably has several expensive lawyers? Are they going to plead he was an alcoholic and now that excuses him?

Now the question is how long the sentence can be.

And how much did his wife know?

Was he cleaning up the cans from the case of beer before she got home? Didn't she smell beer on him during the day when he was supposed to be the responsible parent for three small daughters?

Just OH WOW

His wife has known since at least March 21 and made no provisions to have a safe person provide child care?

How about kicking him out and sending him to rehab with a restraining order against him having any contact with these children he put in harms way ALL THE TIME

UGH it's only the 1st page unfortunately.
Yeah the news station said they probably won’t download all 200 pages because there would have to be a lot of redacting sensitive information like names and addresses. Hopefully someone will post it somewhere.

200 pages! That’s quite an investigation. I bet dad will be back in jail as soon as paperwork goes through. His arraignment is next Thursday the 8th.

It would be interesting to know who told the daughter to say he was a good dad..
During interviews with investigators, the documents read, one of the children said they were instructed by "mom and dad" to tell interviewers that their father was a good dad and that the incident was an accident. The mother reportedly told the child that their baby sister was already deceased by the time they brought her into the house.

Disgusting.
MOO

During interviews with investigators, the documents read, one of the children said they were instructed by "mom and dad" to tell interviewers that their father was a good dad and that the incident was an accident. The mother reportedly told the child that their baby sister was already deceased by the time they brought her into the house.

Disgusting.
MOO
So proud of every one of those three girls speaking the truth and honouring their sister by doing so.

MOO

Cannot for the life of me understand why the wife is sticking up for him. She has had years of stress because of his behaviour. Could have done something about it, calling in social services.

His bail should be revoked in the light of the release of info, IMO. Is that possible, anyone know?

Neither parent is acting in a responsable manner.

Since it's been established that one of the charges may be 1st degree murder, I wonder if there is even more evidence regarding a potential motive ...I don't want to speculate yet.

Also, I can't believe their mother, E., stayed with this man for as long as she did. What was she afraid would happen if she left? I think she did love her daughters and the texts released indicate she was mentally "over" him, so why let him stay and keep doing this kind of thing?

Of course he would have tried to take every penny possible in a divorce, but so what? Freedom is priceless.
The problem with divorce in this country is he would’ve gotten at least 50% custody of the kids & support, and she would’ve had no ability to monitor what went on or any say in when they were with him. I’m not saying she did the right thing but from what I experienced with divorce, at least by staying married she wasn’t paying him outright to ignore the kids, which she would have in a divorce and she was able to keep track of his behavior.

She needed to report to CPS every time he left the kids in the car, every time he drove under the influence, every time he drove like a freaking maniac with any of their babies in the car because according to him Parker being asleep made driving 136 mph while intoxicated ok. I don’t know if this would’ve made any difference but she needed to try.

Him speeding while DUI - I would’ve had him arrested.

If she receives any felony charges contributing to this death, it may impact her ability to hold a medical license not only in Arizona, but in all 50 states and US territories. She would be unable to work in the US as an MD, and likely not ever work in the medical field if there are child abuse or neglect charges.

Expect an extremely strong defense from the best attorneys she can find. If there are charges laid, I would expect a really strong plea bargain to reduce the charges she will plead to.

Her ability to work again as a physician, or in any medical field is very much at risk.

Cannot for the life of me understand why the wife is sticking up for him. She has had years of stress because of his behaviour. Could have done something about it, calling in social services.

His bail should be revoked in the light of the release of info, IMO. Is that possible, anyone know?

Neither parent is acting in a responsable manner.
Oh I can answer that question based on my own life experiences.

Because she watched him take a previous child away from her mother, because she knew he would try and do the same to her and her children, particularly since he was the main 'caregiver' for the children. It's sadly a very common trope, when controlling men realise the relationship is over they want to continue the control via the children. I strongly suspect that CS used coercive control in his relationships, that she had just given up trying to change or argue with him. JMO

She needed to report to CPS every time he left the kids in the car, every time he drove under the influence, every time he drove like a freaking maniac with any of their babies in the car because according to him Parker being asleep made driving 136 mph while intoxicated ok. I don’t know if this would’ve made any difference but she needed to try.
And CPS (IME) would simply have said that SHE needed to protect them from this behaviour as their mother. JMO

Oh I can answer that question based on my own life experiences.

Because she watched him take a previous child away from her mother, because she knew he would try and do the same to her and her children, particularly since he was the main 'caregiver' for the children. It's sadly a very common trope, when controlling men realise the relationship is over they want to continue the control via the children. I strongly suspect that CS used coercive control in his relationships, that she had just given up trying to change or argue with him. JMO
I certainly agree with your comments and observations.

When your partner has a substance abuse issue that threatens the life and welfare of your children, and you have witnessed his manipulations with the stepchild, Isn't there a point where you suck it up and divorce him because of his alcoholism and his reckless behaviour to save your children. Even if it costs a lot, isn't it better to get your children into a situation you have control and legal authority for?

Disgusting.
MOO
The two remaining girls MUST be removed from the custody of both parents gor their physical and psychological safety!

WHY HAS THIS GUY NOT BEEN REMANDED BACK TO JAIL?! This guy has now been indicted for 1st degree murder in the death of his youngest daughter. Plus he’s clearly a danger to his other children and, with a history drunk driving WITH HIS CHILDREN IN THE CAR and excessive speeding (138 mph) (per his own wife’s texts at the very least), he is clearly a danger to everyone on the roads. LOCK HIM UP BEFORE HE CAUSES ANOTHER TRAGEDY!

I assume they have a pool. With little kids, I would be terrified they had made their way into the pool without me knowing and would be watching them all like a hawk, maybe even have them all within a sight line.
I now do pretty much inpatient only subspecialty medicine but when I did primary care I always told parents if you lose sight of your child at home and can't immediately locate them, go first to the most disastrous/dangerous place(s) they could ended up (ie, car, pool, pond, etc) while mobilizing extra help. So far, as a mom I haven't had to actually employ this strategy at home. This is also a good way to start thinking about how to better child proof the hazards to give you a chance to intervene and rescue if your child gets past standard precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arling