4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is what I've thought all along. Lots of missing time there. But I thought he'd have had a hole dug in a remote area much earlier. In fact, I've read articles where people will dig a hole and put a piece of PVC pipe (with the end cover) in the ground to bury stuff, cover the open end of pipe with the end piece of PVC, and cover with dirt. When they want the item again they can easily dig it back up. I thought he could have done this with the knife and any tokens of the crime he took. Of course, one big hole could be done, too. I wonder of LE looked for areas freshly dug with/without metal detectors. MOO.
Good point MM. Israel Keyes, the famous SK, had kill kits buried in many places across the US

moo.

My understanding from SR testimony is that he needs the P to turn over all the data so he can do a complete analysis. What he has seen so far shows that BK did not travel to Moscow. But he is missing important data he needs from LE to complete his work.

I see what you mean about why not just submit what he has already - like a draft report. We really do not know what they have submitted. In Court, it was stipulated that all exhibits would be under seal. Perhaps there was something submitted prior to or at the time of SR's testimony?

The Judge's redacted order from the Motion to Compel hearings was not posted on the Case page, so we don't know what he ordered regarding the report and data.

JMO

That is my understanding as well. From what SR has seen/been given is in favor of BK never being in Moscow that night. But there is missing data he admits that if he is shown it could change his opinion. AT has been asking for months for the missing data and LE and the FBI for some reason cannot provide it.

MOO. 2cents

That is my understanding as well. From what SR has seen/been given is in favor of BK never being in Moscow that night. But there is missing data he admits that if he is shown it could change his opinion. AT has been asking for months for the missing data and LE and the FBI for some reason cannot provide it.

MOO. 2cents
Prosecutors are going to question the credibility of Sy Ray and that of the software (specifically the algorithm) he relies on. Which multiple court rooms have deemed to be so flawed that they won't even allow it as evidence.

IMO it's going to come down to FBI algorithms vs Sy Ray's TRAX (mentioned in the article) algorithms. And FBI expert testimony vs Sy Ray expert testimony. Which one is going to be more compelling and fit or contradict
other pieces of evidence (video, dna, etc)?

And for AT, she wants us & the court to believe that Sy Ray has possession of exculpatory data provided by law enforcement. But at the same time that law enforcement is mysteriously holding back on.....more exculpatory data? And Sy seems to be implying that he's so confident that only missing data could change his opinion. Am I the only one confused by this logic?

MOO

Last edited:
Thought this was interesting and I know it's the norm for attorney's to have several cases at a time, but wanted to post anyway.
bbm

Full article at link...

The lead attorney for Bryan Kohberger, the man charged with killing four University of Idaho students in November 2022, now will simultaneously lead the defense in a second high-profile North Idaho capital murder case. Anne Taylor, Kohberger’s top public defender, was assigned Wednesday to head up the defense for Skylar Meade, according to court records obtained by the Idaho Statesman. The Idaho prisoner is charged with killing a Juliaetta man in Nez Perce County after escaping from corrections officers at a hospital in Boise during a shootout in March.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article290857014.html#storylink=cpy

Prosecutors are going to question the credibility of Sy Ray and that of the software (specifically the algorithm) he relies on. Which multiple court rooms have deemed to be so flawed that they won't even allow it as evidence.

IMO it's going to come down to FBI algorithms vs Sy Ray's TRAX (mentioned in the article) algorithms. And FBI expert testimony vs Sy Ray expert testimony. Which one is going to be more compelling and fit or contradict
other pieces of evidence (video, dna, etc)?

And for AT, she wants us & the court to believe that Sy Ray has possession of exculpatory data provided by law enforcement. But at the same time that law enforcement is mysteriously holding back on.....more exculpatory data? And Sy seems to be implying that he's so confident that only missing data could change his opinion. Am I the only one confused by this logic?

MOO
Multiple courtrooms? Links please. I'd like to review those entire cases.

S Ray is reviewing the evidence against BK. Whatever software LE used and submitted to the court. LE's work. Did they use TRAX mapping?

Not mysterious at all. The D asked, the P didn't provide. Tower list, advance timing records, missing drive testing. All things required to do a complete analysis of the work LE has done.

JMO

MOO. 2cents
It's probably data LE never collected. Home ring camera video and business CCTV which had already been recorded over. In truth, I think LE's program has different input requirements than SR's invention. How is LE responsible for providing data their own analysis didn't need in support of one they don't use?

It's an artful attorney who can stir up air and then call it a missing tornado.

JMO

Last edited:
For those of you interested in an accessible (and professional) account of how some people become as antisocial as the killer in this case, I recommend "Sociopath" by Patric Gagne. The inability to feel anything at all (and the emptiness and lack of conscience that causes) is well-documented elsewhere, but this book (by someone with the condition) is evocative.

Reminded me of BK's TapATalk messages.

Interestingly, a constant pattern of minor infractions can ease up the tension for the antisocial person - but some of them, eventually, crack and do heinous things. In order to feel something. Their limbic system is not functioning (or not functioning normally).

For those of you interested in an accessible (and professional) account of how some people become as antisocial as the killer in this case, I recommend "Sociopath" by Patric Gagne. The inability to feel anything at all (and the emptiness and lack of conscience that causes) is well-documented elsewhere, but this book (by someone with the condition) is evocative.

Reminded me of BK's TapATalk messages.

Interestingly, a constant pattern of minor infractions can ease up the tension for the antisocial person - but some of them, eventually, crack and do heinous things. In order to feel something. Their limbic system is not functioning (or not functioning normally).

Some become thrill seekers in more constructive ways - high risk sports, gambling, thrill seeking activities, etc. They don't have to turn bad, but most do. I remember when we studied sociopaths in Abnormal Psych in college. I could read and memorize it, but its difficult to grasp how all those traits can operate together in one person. It's very foreign to most people. We all are accustomed to feeling happiness, sadness, etc.

Because they have little empathy for others, they get a big kick out of manipulating people and learn to do it very well.
I'm not much better at understanding it now than I did 50 years ago, but I understand the signs of it and can spot it fairly quickly. But I still can't imagine how it feels to be that way.

"BK writes papers for all the prisoners."

@BrianEntin

5 Key Issues in Bryan Kohberger’s Case Ahead of Major Hearing in Idaho Murders -- here is the latest Entin Across America: https://youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nU1jXNyQ&t=2s

6:34 PM · Aug 12, 2024

5 Key Issues in Bryan Kohberger’s Case Ahead of Major Hearing in Idaho Murders​

Who told Steve G that Bryan Kohberger was writing papers for all the prisoners? I heard that Bryan K hasn't been to law school and doesn't have a law license in Idaho either.

Who told Steve G that Bryan Kohberger was writing papers for all the prisoners? I heard that Bryan K hasn't been to law school and doesn't have a law license in Idaho either.

He was talking about the BTK case, Dennis Radar. Suggesting that when you go to jail without the DP you have more freedom, whereas with 23 hours a day you are by yourself. I don't know anything on that topic but that is what I took from Entin's interview. It was an analogy about another person, not a comment about Bryan Kohbeger. JMOO

This is not what Steve said and Bryan is not allowed contact with any of the other inmates in his jail.

Steve was talking about the BTK killer who gets to have some special privileges like writing papers for other prisoners because the BTK killer is in prison but not on death row. If Bryan is on DR in prison he will be locked up for 23 hours and won't have whatever privileges the BTK murderer has.

Steve wants the DP instread of LWOP because of this. Inmates are not put into general population when they are on death row.

Inmates write papers all the time for other inmates who do not write as well and there are law books they can access. Having a law degree is not necessary.

The only reason Bryan cannot help inmates with papers or whatever right now is because he is separated from the other inmates in his jail.

2 Cents

Last edited:
State knocks it out of the ballpark.

Poll never asked the important question, could the respondent, if on a jury, set aside bias and rule with impartiality?

Voir dire is the appropriate venue.

Really well crafted response from the State.

JMO

Great Q's in State's Objection to Deft' Motion for Change of Venue.
@Nila Aella Thx for linking St's Objxn.

From page 7, my favorite ¶, esp'ly the second sentence:
"This Court must ask itself: would an individual who was asked for their opinion about an upcoming jury trial continue a survey if they had no opinions about any upcoming jury trials? And once the survey started, would a prudent, thoughtful, and conscientious person who is reluctant to pass judgment with limited information opine to a stranger whether they believe a criminally accused is guilty of murder?"

Rather doubtful imo that prudent, thoughtful, and conscientious persons would be casually opine about guilt/non-guilt to strangers on the phone.
But multitudes of ignorant BOZOs would be more than willing to give their fact-free opinions imo.

Very thorough and rational response from the state. These community surveys seem to display bias of their own in the way they’re designed.

As the state points out it’s not the familiarity of the community with the crime and defendant at issue, it’s partiality. The judge usually can’t tell if it’s impossible to seat an impartial jury until voice dire.

Also nice they include a description of news media influence during the Sheppard trial. The examples show how extreme the news media can be if judges don’t set rules for them in court.

This is not what Steve said and Bryan is not allowed contact with any of the other inmates in his jail.

Steve was talking about the BTK killer who gets to have some special privileges like writing papers for other prisoners because the BTK killer is in prison but not on death row. If Bryan is on DR in prison he will be locked up for 23 hours and won't have whatever privileges the BTK murderer has.

Steve wants the DP instread of LWOP because of this. Inmates are not put into general population when they are on death row.

Inmates write papers all the time for other inmates who do not write as well and there are law books they can access. Having a law degree is not necessary.

The only reason Bryan cannot help inmates with papers or whatever right now is because he is separated from the other inmates in his jail.

2 Cents
My sincere apologies to y'all for the misquote.

BK is not writing papers for all the prisoners, Dennis Rader is. I listened again to the video and I understand now.

Thank you, @Chloegirl and @Cool Cats for the clarification. It's much appreciated. :)

Multiple courtrooms? Links please. I'd like to review those entire cases.

S Ray is reviewing the evidence against BK. Whatever software LE used and submitted to the court. LE's work. Did they use TRAX mapping?

Not mysterious at all. The D asked, the P didn't provide. Tower list, advance timing records, missing drive testing. All things required to do a complete analysis of the work LE has done.

JMO
Murder Sheet. The 'Bad Facts' episode that goes over the status of the overall case. If I remember correctly aside from the Colorado case his algorithm/software has been deemed unreliable in other cases/courtrooms. They didn't provide the goods but I'll do some research now and find the things that they are referring to.

Edit:

Update 1-
In United States v. Reynolds (a case that wasn't ultimately overturned because they determined that prosecutors had enough evidence to convicnt even without TRAX) the court found that "there was no supporting evidence that substantiated Ray's claim" of 95% accuracy rate. The same claim that was rejected in Colorado.

Update 2-
In People v. Valdez the court found that Ray's assertion of peer review was "not compelling". And that "it was not clear exactly what TRAX does"

I'll keep adding as I go along.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia