Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If your mouth is watering for a cheeseburger, you’re in luck!

It’s National Cheeseburger Day and fast-food chains are offering deals to curb your appetite, or you can stack your own.

According to “Checkiday,” adding cheese to burgers gained popularity in the late-1920s to mid-1930s.

The invention is thanks to Lionel Sternberger. According to “the spruce eats,” in 1924, Sternberger decided to slap a piece of American cheese onto a cooking hamburger at his father’s Pasadena, Cali. sandwich shop, the Rite Spot. They called it a “cheese hamburger.”

It was in 1934 when the first sandwich was called a “cheeseburger” at Kaelin’s restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky. The owner said he wanted to give the hamburger a little tang...
DH grilled burgers tonight, but it didn't occur to either of us to put some cheese on them! They were delicious anyway. I put lettuce, tomato, and a little mayo on mine.

We were out hiking today, miles in a state park, and were hot and thirsty so we stopped at a McDonald’s a few miles outside the park

They were featuring 50 cent double cheeseburgers today, and I didn’t realize until I read the posts above that it was to celebrate national cheeseburger day.

We were out hiking today, miles in a state park, and were hot and thirsty so we stopped at a McDonald’s a few miles outside the park

They were featuring 50 cent double cheeseburgers today, and I didn’t realize until I read the posts above that it was to celebrate national cheeseburger day.
Cheeseburger day?! I missed it :confused:

I had planned to make split pea soup today, but it is going to be 86* and much too hot to make soup. Instead, DH will stop at Nino's after his swim and get ground round, avocado, tomato, and Kaiser rolls for burgers. We already have lettuce. Michigan corn is still sweet and juicy, so we'll have that, too. I have all the ingredients for split pea soup and will make it tomorrow if it's not too hot to cook.

We continue to have unseasonably warm weather for this time of year. It's been in the low 80s with low 60s overnight for nearly two weeks. Very little rain, and we're having to water the lawn with an oscillating sprinkler because we had our irrigation system blown out Monday. Hopefully, we will get some much-needed precipitation early next week.

This sounds so good. I saved it to my laptop. I'll use gluten free flour of course and I like the suggestion to add some diced apple. I can't use Pumpkin Pie spice but cinnamon and nutmeg should be fine.

My split pea soup is delicious, and there are a couple more meals left. When I make the soup without a ham bone, I use bone-in smoked pork chops or a ham steak so there are some chunks of meat in the soup.

We are having guests for dinner on Sunday. We tried to get together during the summer but they both work and then went to Europe for a two-week vacation. They do a lot of smoking and grilling and are bringing the main course - smoked brisket with baked beans. We will contribute chilled large shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce and a ham & cheese puff pastry appetizer. Ham and Cheese in Puff Pastry I'll also make succotash and peach cobbler. Does this sound like a good menu? They like wine, so we'll have a couple of nice bottles of red wine.

It has finally cooled off, and we got some much-needed rain. It looked like London here today with fog and constant drizzle.

I was in Publix this afternoon and there were zero bananas. I heard a cashier tell a customer that everyone was buying them, as if it were unusual.

I was in Publix this afternoon and there were zero bananas. I heard a cashier tell a customer that everyone was buying them, as if it were unusual.
Oh, no! Say it isn't so. We always have bananas. DH likes them with his cereal, and I enjoy them in my plain Greek yogurt or with peanut butter, as a snack.

Oh, no! Say it isn't so. We always have bananas. DH likes them with his cereal, and I enjoy them in my plain Greek yogurt or with peanut butter, as a snack.
I went to another small market this afternoon. They had really ripe bananas like what I would use to make bread. I went back to Publix tonight because I forgot a couple things. There wasn’t much left on the shelves and even after 8:00pm, it was busy.

Please, please I want to make duck breast tomorrow!! Here's hoping! It's hard for me to get it, but I'm hoping.

Anybody with any cool duck recipes, keep me in mind. Right now, just want regular pan fried duck breast with nice crispy skin and mashed potatoes with the gravy from the drippings. Boring, but delicious!! Maybe I could try for a duck sandwich of some kind, dunno.

Today is National Corned Beef Hash Day.

I have fond memories of my dad cooking canned corned beef hash over a campfire for breakfast. We used to camp often when we were kids and my dad’s “specialty” was frying corned beef hash in a skillet over the fire. When the hash was perfectly done, with crispy edges, he would make wells in the hash with a big serving spoon and drop eggs into the wells to cook. Sometimes he would add diced onions or shredded cheese.

When our mom brought home cans of corned beef hash from the store we knew we were going camping.

Today is National Corned Beef Hash Day.

I have fond memories of my dad cooking canned corned beef hash over a campfire for breakfast. We used to camp often when we were kids and my dad’s “specialty” was frying corned beef hash in a skillet over the fire. When the hash was perfectly done, with crispy edges, he would make wells in the hash with a big serving spoon and drop eggs into the wells to cook. Sometimes he would add diced onions or shredded cheese.

When our mom brought home cans of corned beef hash from the store we knew we were going camping.

When we get breakfast takeout, the corned beef hash with eggs (poached) and toast (rye) is my go-to. This local restaurant has an awesome breakfast menu with the corned beef hash and eggs among their best offerings.

A tip about corned beef hash: if you like canned corn beef hash one of the highest rated brands is Aldi’s. I have found that it tastes better and is not as greasy as some of the name brand canned hash.

The Ohio city where I lived back in 1992 got one of the first Aldi’s in the state. I didn’t shop there because back then Aldi’s didn’t carry any fresh produce, it was just canned goods, boxed dinners, and a few dairy products. They offered only two bread choices: white and wheat, and neither was good.

I never went to Aldi’s then because I have always preferred fresh produce. My dad happened to try their corned beef hash, and recommended it to me. So for years we both went to Aldi’s to purchase their corned beef hash only, and nothing else.

I found bananas at Target today. I swear the cashier was oblivious that she was handling fresh produce. She dropped them into the bag, literally. Then dropped the 6 small bags of Halloween candy on top of them. Then picked up the entire bag and literally dropped it in my cart. I was flabbergasted, speechless. At what point do people learn to bag food? Good grief.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carzytoaster
Back