PA PA - Ray Gricar, 59, Bellefonte, 15 April 2005 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently read as much back story and LE statements in toto as still reside on the Internet. As we ALL know, after a time, these things are, by and large, archived and no longer accessible..

I found a statement from the sheriff or former sheriff who was commenting on the theory of a voluntary disappearance, and he said ( paraphrasing) that if RFG did walk away, he didn't plan it well.
I take exception with this statement. I think it may have been an extremely well planned walk away. ( Kind of obvious at this point, I suppose, but I have always thought he was a meticulous planner type of person).
The ONLY " bobble" I can find on the surface of things is the home computer with the searches on how to destroy a hard drive.. However, if the HOME PC hard drive had been written over or otherwise destroyed along with the work computer HD, that would have been extremely suspicious.
One thing I have never read are the exact dates the searches were performed for destroying a hard drive.

My explanation for him researching this on his home computer ( if he was the one doing the search, which I think is a fairly safe assumption) is that he didn't KNOW if it could be done, and IF the search had to be found on A computer, he chose his home computer because there were 2 users, whereas he was the only user of his work computer.. The " reasonable doubt" thinking of a prosecutor, perhaps.

The other possible " imperfections" are the potential sightings and the specific condition of the car when found. I believe the earliest sightings ( within 2 weeks of his reported disappearance) might well be him. The rest- no.
With his long=standing knowledge of law and criminal prosecution, he had to have known that the sooner he left the area, the sooner he left the country, the more likely he was to get away cleanly and successfully. So why would he hang around, even within a 100-200 mile radius, in a bar, having a drink?
This is probably the largest sticking point for me IF the police officer was accurate in his observation. It would have been easier, of course, if RFG had not been a familiar face in PA.
However, we now know that the alleged sightings did NOT produce any stopping of the man, nor did the sightings provide further info than " Ray was here", perhaps.
All the eye witness accounts really do is bolster the theory of a walk away, at least, at that period of time.

I believe RFG was a meticulous and extremely intelligent person. I believe his thought processes and personal habits were neat and orderly. One reason I have leaned toward the walk away theory is my belief that if anyone could have done it successfully, he could have covered all the bases to get away cleanly.

One thing I have not seen discussed much, maybe it was early on, was what appears to me to be the necessity of an accomplice or companion with a vehicle.. Maybe because it's difficult to discuss options in this complicated case without the appearance of assigning blame..
Of course, I am an Occam's razor type of thinker. The simplest explanation for the walk away, the simplest reason for the computer HD being removed and destroyed, and the simplest reason for there being a willing and able helper is that there was another person RFG CHOSE to be with and they with him. This implies a long and intense connection.. Some have asked why he didn't just leave Patti if there was another woman? The best answer I have for this is that the woman may not have been free to leave until shortly before she DID leave. I believe the two planned every aspect of the disappearance together, perhaps for a long time undetected via Internet exchanges only..

This is an aside, but has anyone seen the photo where both Patti F. and Laura's mother are standing on either side of Laura? Except for the somewhat lighter hair color of the former Mrs. Gricar, the two women could be sisters. Almost twins, in fact. The bone structure is amazingly similar!
When I found the photo last night and considered the apparent considerate planning RFG did with paying off Patti's house and putting HIS car in her name, I started wondering if his relationship with Patti fit into the " temporarily convenient" category. IF he left with someone, perhaps they were not able to leave until such time as they did. Perhaps Patti was conveniently there, and assuming that he did love his first wife at some point, he found her physical build and general appearance to be " familiar" in a general sense. His financial gifts to her would be his repayment to her for her companionship and probably, her love for him..I do believe he would have thought along these lines. It is unemotional and logical.

I started wondering if the baseball game he went to was his way of guaging response to his absence, or if the response to his absence both surprised him and caused him to realize that he had relatively little personal freedom. Also, he probably learned a few things about how to disappear from that first short diversion.

Then I was reading about the argument against him leaving just before his retirement. His retirement pension was HIS. It was not as if he was leaving a wife or young children. He was leaving HIS own pension.. What better way to create doubt than to walk away from something he never could collect once he left anyway? An orderly man doing an unexpected thing. I think it's clever and cunning. I would have done the same thing because people seldom stop to think that IF he needed to leave for reasons we do not know, he definitely could not have collected the pension anonymously post- retirement.

In one presser, LE said that the ONLY things on his work computer were " personal" in nature. I wondered how they could know this.. or why they said it.. It has caused me to wonder if he did use his county- issued laptop to correspond with the mystery person for an extended period of time.I don't know how this could be deduced when the hard drive was fried, but perhaps he guarded the laptop obsessively.. Always kept it locked down, never left it open to answer someone's question in the hallway, was also extremely secretive with it at home? Preferred using it at home to the home PC, but only when alone?
SOME of the secrecy could probably be explained by his work, but most cannot be since not only was he in the presence of co-workers with the same case info as he, but Patti also worked in the DA office and also had professional ethics of silence to maintain. Ray trusted her enough to both live with her and hire her to work in the same building. Maybe, in retrospect, his secretiveness with the laptop was an unusual finding when his behavior was discussed. Especially after the laptop, then the hard drive, were found.

It's fairly obvious to me that he could not be seen in public with the unknown person, whom I lean toward being female, unless he chose an alternative lifestyle.. I do not know the sex of the person, but will assume it was a female. I believe he emailed and used real time chat options for quite some time for reasons we do not know. I suspect the WOMAN was the one with " entanglements" to dissolve. It probably took some time to get a divorce and formulate a false plan to neighbors or co-workers of " moving to Seattle" or something of that nature. A career woman without close relatives could have left without arousing suspicion under the guise of moving to a faraway location for a new start.. IF a divorce had recently occurred, she would have most likely deliberately rented an apartment with a short term lease, or taken up residence in a Residence Inn type place with no furnishings to leave behind. I believe the plans were made via the computer. That's why the computer hard drive being destroyed was so important.

There may be additional reasons the hard drive was fried which are known only to Mr. Gricar, but probably were immediately related to instant messaging and emails, travel planning and things related to the walk away which would have caused him to be found if the hard drive was intact. This is not a condemnation of Mr. Gricar. It is a comment about human nature. " Still waters run deep" kind of thinking.. The rather reserved and quiet man with an extremely high pressure professional life and a secretive second personal life. People do it every day. Most just don't get to the leave- taking stage.

I have wondered if the FBI might have been called in to do any psychological profiling of Mr. Gricar. Did they assess the probability of his leave taking? What were their observations, I wonder?
How many people are as perfect as this man seemed to be? He was a creature of habit, Patti said. He apparently lived his known life by a steady routine. Then, just before he disappeared, he was said to be " tired". He apparently did not visit a doctor, according to Patti. He started " taking a nap" during the day.
What if " taking a nap" was, in fact, a euphemism for Ray needing private computer time to finalize his walk away plans? I think it is very likely. I'm sure there was some apprehension regarding the success, but I imagine that the relief and happiness far outweighed the small doubts. Or, maybe he had no doubts whatsoever.

The car's state when impounded by LE is a slight enigma. It was found where Ray said he would be, not with blood stains in it with it over in a ditch or ravine.. BUT-- who else was in the car, if anyone? Did someone enter the car after Ray had already abandoned it unlocked? Were any fingerprints found on the car door handles? I have read that the interior was wiped clean of fingerprints, which Ray might have done. But the exterior where we all open our car doors? What about there? He would have known better than to wipe off his own fingerprints from the driver's side.. if he had a choice. IF he didn't intend his disappearance to look like foul play.
The options regarding the car seem to me to be: He wiped the car interior while it was in its parking space, and did NOT clean the exterior door handles, but this info has not been released to the public ( that I know of).
He possibly planted cigarette ashes from any smoker's discards to cause confusion regarding a walk away vs. an abduction of a grown and experienced man in broad daylight in a quiet little town. He knew not to leave a cigarette butt, which would have possibly implicated an innocent person in a crime..
Perhaps a random circumstance inserted itself into the best laid plans. Perhaps someone wanted to talk to him briefly. He was known to shop in this group of stores, and he was well known in the general area. Anyone could have wanted to talk to him about a mundane matter or perhaps a legal matter. Even if they were a " distasteful" smoker, would he stand on the sidewalk with the person and discuss a matter of unknown importance, or would he invite them into the Mini for a relatively private conversation? HE had the knowledge that the antique shopping trip was an excuse to disappear forever. The person he MAY have run into co-incidentally didn't have this knowledge. Would he try to protect them from absolutely unnecessary scrutiny later on? I think he would. I definitely think he would.

On the face of it, the lack of fingerprints part is very questionable. However, if your last known acts also included walking into the woods ( away from the townspeople) long enough to ditch a laptop and a hard drive in the river, then maybe a small packet of ashes were deposited in the car as well. All part of the planning. Leave computer and randomly collected cigarette ash. All trash. Take away sunglasses, keys and wallet. All needed ( car keys were needed to ensure that the cell phone was not stolen from the glove box).
We know he locked his cell phone in the glove box. The cell phone and the call record was his short term alibi. It NEEDED to be found intact. He would have known that.

This is my theory of how Ray Gricar walked away from his life and why. Maybe it is way off base, maybe it is severely flawed, but this is what I believe happened, generally. I believe he and his lover took separate flights to a foreign, tropical country where 2 people who have secreted away funds for a period of time can live very comfortably. I hope they are safe and happy. I hope the reality far exceeds the dream which put the planning into motion.

Last point I would like to make-- Some have asked, and rightly so, why would he go to all this trouble since he wasn't married anyway? This is where the waters get muddied for me. I do believe there was something else Ray Gricar was hiding. Something which would have possibly disgraced him forever, or led to a criminal investigation. Again, I believe the proof was on the laptop hard drive. OR his leaving when he did stopped the situation before it reached a critically " bad" stage.
Just my opinion. A man with one life- altering secret is likely to have had other secretive tendencies.

Or, he was murdered and his body has never been found. Which do you think happened?
He has been declared legally dead. What's your theory on what happened to this man based upon the few hard case facts known to us?
Do you applaud him or think he was a coward? Or believe he is dead, his body not discovered? Why?

Maria

The ONLY " bobble" I can find on the surface of things is the home computer with the searches on how to destroy a hard drive.. However, if the HOME PC hard drive had been written over or otherwise destroyed along with the work computer HD, that would have been extremely suspicious.
One thing I have never read are the exact dates the searches were performed for destroying a hard drive.

You've this and another point on planning. The very first thing that the police do when someone is missing is never to see what they were searching on Google. :) They have better things to do initially. In this case the searches were not discovered by the police until late 2006 at the earliest. They were not released until 2009.

The date was within 30 days of RFG's disappearance, but they never gave a specific date. It is known that RFG, possibly for as long as 15 months prior to his disappearance, was talking to people about how to get rid of the data on his laptop. LE has said that he did the searches, so it would have been sometime when PEF was not present.

With his long=standing knowledge of law and criminal prosecution, he had to have known that the sooner he left the area, the sooner he left the country, the more likely he was to get away cleanly and successfully. So why would he hang around, even within a 100-200 mile radius, in a bar, having a drink?

This was in the evening of 4/18/05 in Wilkes-Barre. There were several key things, in the context of walkaway.

1. The location was within 2 miles of I-81, which is the major route to Canada. It was also within 10 miles of the international airport in Scranton. There was easy egress for someone there.

2.Wilkes-Barre was outside of the Central Pennsylvania Media Market (CPMM), that includes Centre County. The story was huge, on television, in the CPMM, from 4/16 onward, but had just started late on 4/17 in the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Media Market (so is Lewisburg).

If RFG walked away, he might not have realized that he'd been reported missing, unless he was checking on the Internet. The laptop did not have a wi-fi connection. He might have been waiting for a connection or just wanted to see how the media was playing out.

On 4/18, the searches had focused on the area from Centre Hall to Lewisburg, Lewisburg itself, and the Susquehanna River from Lewisburg south. The sighting was north and east of the search area. He might have been watching to see where LE was looking.

There is some logic to that sighting being RFG, if he walked away.

This is an aside, but has anyone seen the photo where both Patti F. and Laura's mother are standing on either side of Laura? Except for the somewhat lighter hair color of the former Mrs. Gricar, the two women could be sisters. Almost twins, in fact. The bone structure is amazingly similar!
When I found the photo last night and considered the apparent considerate planning RFG did with paying off Patti's house and putting HIS car in her name, I started wondering if his relationship with Patti fit into the " temporarily convenient" category. IF he left with someone, perhaps they were not able to leave until such time as they did. Perhaps Patti was conveniently there, and assuming that he did love his first wife at some point, he found her physical build and general appearance to be " familiar" in a general sense. His financial gifts to her would be his repayment to her for her companionship and probably, her love for him..I do believe he would have thought along these lines. It is unemotional and logical.

When I saw that photo, I assumed that BG was PEF's mother or aunt. Unlike ex #2, there was a huge resemblance. People who have known both BG and PEF have commented on it. Physically, PEF is almost a younger version of BG.

Then I was reading about the argument against him leaving just before his retirement. His retirement pension was HIS. It was not as if he was leaving a wife or young children. He was leaving HIS own pension.. What better way to create doubt than to walk away from something he never could collect once he left anyway? An orderly man doing an unexpected thing. I think it's clever and cunning. I would have done the same thing because people seldom stop to think that IF he needed to leave for reasons we do not know, he definitely could not have collected the pension anonymously post- retirement.

Again, in the context of walkaway, leaving the pension behind would leave a large, $300 K+, lump sum to his daughter, taxed at a much lower rate. It could have his method of providing for her.

The one thing that can be be ruled out is that RFG ran off with another woman. No "other woman" is missing.

The car's state when impounded by LE is a slight enigma. It was found where Ray said he would be, not with blood stains in it with it over in a ditch or ravine.. BUT-- who else was in the car, if anyone? Did someone enter the car after Ray had already abandoned it unlocked? Were any fingerprints found on the car door handles? I have read that the interior was wiped clean of fingerprints, which Ray might have done. But the exterior where we all open our car doors? What about there? He would have known better than to wipe off his own fingerprints from the driver's side.. if he had a choice. IF he didn't intend his disappearance to look like foul play.
The options regarding the car seem to me to be: He wiped the car interior while it was in its parking space, and did NOT clean the exterior door handles, but this info has not been released to the public ( that I know of).
He possibly planted cigarette ashes from any smoker's discards to cause confusion regarding a walk away vs. an abduction of a grown and experienced man in broad daylight in a quiet little town. He knew not to leave a cigarette butt, which would have possibly implicated an innocent person in a crime..

The car was not wiped down, but the prints were unreadable. His middle finger print was on the outside window, and consistent with him closing the door (though it can not be determined when it was left on the window).

The ash was almost microscopic, but there was the scent of cigarette smoke in the car, when opened. Interestingly, the Wilkes-Barre witnesses reported that the man they identified as RFG was smoking. The cop noted that the man seemed clumsy in holding the cigarette, as though he wasn't use to smoking.

The car was not wiped down, but the prints were unreadable. His middle finger print was on the outside window, and consistent with him closing the door (though it can not be determined when it was left on the window).

The ash was almost microscopic, but there was the scent of cigarette smoke in the car, when opened. Interestingly, the Wilkes-Barre witnesses reported that the man they identified as RFG was smoking. The cop noted that the man seemed clumsy in holding the cigarette, as though he wasn't use to smoking.
I recall the part about Ray being seen smoking before and I have always wondered if Patty ever smelled smoke on him prior to the day Ray went missing. It may be a minor issue to most, but it's important and of interest to me. TIA

I recall the part about Ray being seen smoking before and I have always wondered if Patty ever smelled smoke on him prior to the day Ray went missing. It may be a minor issue to most, but it's important and of interest to me. TIA

As far as I know, RFG would only smoke a "celebrative" cigar on occasions, like winning a major case. This was clearly cigarette smoke and ash. I've never heard anyone who knew him suggest that he ever smoked cigarettes.

The Wilkes-Barre witnesses said the man they saw was smoking.

Maybe Mr. Gricar was smoking because he was nervous. Or, perhaps, to throw police off, i.e., "yes, we saw a man fitting that description who was smoking;" to which the police might think, "Mr. Gricar doesn't smoke so it probably wasn't him."

Regarding the thought that no other woman is missing, something to consider is that there are plenty of middle aged women who are on their own, who don't really communicate much with family or have any family locally, such that they could just say they are relocating and no one would think much about it. Therefore the lady wouldn't be a missing person. Also, a love interest or friend to Mr. Gricar could just say she's keeping company with this nice man, but he's shy and likes to keep to himself. Sounds silly, I know, but stranger things have happened.

Sometimes I do wonder if Ray felt his life was over and there was nothing to look forward to. There's also the thought that he may have been struggling with depression. The extra sleeping he was doing can definitely be a sign of depression -- or -- it can be a sign of someone who is up late at night on the computer.

What might Patty have missed? What did Mr. Gricar's close friends surmise about his disappearance? Since he wasn't married to Patty he may not have felt obligated to her. Could he have been so cold of a person so as not to leave a suicide note if he did in fact commit suicide? At least say something along the lines of, "I am sorry to hurt you like this but I'm just not interested in living anymore." He surely would have known the duress he would have put upon his whole family, and knew full well how the death of his brother affected the family. Would he be so willing to cause them this addtional stress?

Can someone refresh my memory -- where did the dogs pick up Ray's scent -- the bridge or ?

I felt sad when I saw they declared him to be dead but I do understand they felt they needed to that.

Maybe Mr. Gricar was smoking because he was nervous. Or, perhaps, to throw police off, i.e., "yes, we saw a man fitting that description who was smoking;" to which the police might think, "Mr. Gricar doesn't smoke so it probably wasn't him."

I've never heard it suggested that, when he was nervous, RFG smoked.

The throwing off aspect is a possibility. One thing with the mechanics of smoking is that, you can block views of your face. You hold the cigarette up to your lips, your hand partly obscures your face.

Regarding the thought that no other woman is missing, something to consider is that there are plenty of middle aged women who are on their own, who don't really communicate much with family or have any family locally, such that they could just say they are relocating and no one would think much about it.

Nobody that Mr. Gricar might have had some contact with "changed jobs" soon after he disappeared.

Just for the record, Roy Gricar did not leave a suicide note.

Can someone refresh my memory -- where did the dogs pick up Ray's scent -- the bridge or ?

No, just in the parking lot. Then Chief Dixon said that the dog handler thought that could indicate that RFG got into another car.

I felt sad when I saw they declared him to be dead but I do understand they felt they needed to that.

It was a financial settlement, nothing more. It permits the family to settle the estate and inherit.

You've this and another point on planning. The very first thing that the police do when someone is missing is never to see what they were searching on Google. :) They have better things to do initially. In this case the searches were not discovered by the police until late 2006 at the earliest. They were not released until 2009.

The date was within 30 days of RFG's disappearance, but they never gave a specific date. It is known that RFG, possibly for as long as 15 months prior to his disappearance, was talking to people about how to get rid of the data on his laptop. LE has said that he did the searches, so it would have been sometime when PEF was not present.

This was in the evening of 4/18/05 in Wilkes-Barre. There were several key things, in the context of walkaway.

1. The location was within 2 miles of I-81, which is the major route to Canada. It was also within 10 miles of the international airport in Scranton. There was easy egress for someone there.

2.Wilkes-Barre was outside of the Central Pennsylvania Media Market (CPMM), that includes Centre County. The story was huge, on television, in the CPMM, from 4/16 onward, but had just started late on 4/17 in the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Media Market (so is Lewisburg).

If RFG walked away, he might not have realized that he'd been reported missing, unless he was checking on the Internet. The laptop did not have a wi-fi connection. He might have been waiting for a connection or just wanted to see how the media was playing out.

On 4/18, the searches had focused on the area from Centre Hall to Lewisburg, Lewisburg itself, and the Susquehanna River from Lewisburg south. The sighting was north and east of the search area. He might have been watching to see where LE was looking.

There is some logic to that sighting being RFG, if he walked away.

MAYBE part of the reason he was in the bar, if the sighting was accurate, was to watch the local news for a 20-30 minute period to see what was being reported, ir anything, about him...
It could have been an incidentally convenient location, as you point out. :)
Thanks, JJ!

J. J. [B said:
The one thing that can be be ruled out is that RFG ran off with another woman. No "other woman" is missing[/B].

Well, there are two logical possibilities..
Either the woman had sensibly cut ALL ties with friends and associates, saying she was moving to another state or whatever, and NO ONE ever questioned it.

We sometimes assume that everyone has living relatives who are interested, involved, etc. In today's society, this is just not true. Many successful career women choose to remain childless.
OR she could have been a very young woman who just hadn't gotten around to reproducing yet. We cannot rule out a partner in the walk away based upon the fact that no one was reported " missing".

Another possibility is that the other person was a male who was either personally involved enough to help RFG to make a getaway, or was involved with him in a clandestine relationship.
Again, we simply do not know.

What I do feel fairly certain of is that RFG did not orchestrate all parts of the disappearance on his own due to his Mini Cooper being left.. Maybe I am overlooking a possibility and it was an absolutely solitary act. If so, he was extremely resourceful. He probably had a lot of old friends in LE and perhaps a skilled friend simpoly helped him on the first, most crucial part of the leave-taking, getting out of PA and the USA.

IMO, according to my own system of ranking life changes based upon motivation. the only 2 possibilities I see for leaving everything and everyone behind forever are: 1) To start a new life with someone else, perhaps someone who would have been considered to be controversial for an unknown reason. I think the leaving because of love is the most likely, given human nature and our lifelong need for a deeply satisfying intimate relationship.. ( our primary adult relationship) Maybe he simply moved to the other person's location, where he blends in ( and pays cash)...

2) There is or was something " unsavory" that RFG felt he had to get away from before it was discovered I do not wish to speculate on what this might be, because it could be one of a thousand different things, none of which I truly believe happened.
It would be a strong reason for a public figure of outstanding public reputation to " leave". I am sure that the cost was weighed carefully, should this have been the reason for the leaving. I don't think it was.

You and I are simpatico on most of this intriguing man's case, J.J. I know we both admire and respect him and hope very much that he is alive and well.

The ONE point we disagree on is your absolute certainty in stating a negative " NO other woman is missing" and then your statement "Nobody that Mr. Gricar might have had some contact with "changed jobs" soon after he disappeared".

The Internet opened up a whole new avenue of communication. Sometimes, deeply important, life- changing decisions have been made through Internet interpersonal communication. There IS a reason he protected the laptop to the extent that he did, and I don't think it had anything to do with a case or cases. It had to do with something he valued and needed, IMO. Patty's words about the laptop at one point seemed to indicate that he took it with him every day of his life..

J.J., we do NOT know, NO ONE ELSE KNOWS who Ray Gricar may have been involved with via the Internet. This is NOT to say he found a stranger on the Internet and ran away with them.
No.
Rather that someone from an earlier period in his life, maybe college, maybe even HS, any point in time, could easily have gotten in touch with him, or him with her, via the Internet and an old romance was rekindled. Maybe this person was the love of his life!!!

I can attest to the fact that some of us absolutely would walk away from wealth, a life of great comfort provided for us, and someone who loves us dearly to be with the love of our lifetime which just didn't work out due to circumstances at the time!!
Some people, if given a second chance, would leave everything and seize the chance while there was still time in life to be together. Usually, people never speak of these lost loves years later. I would expect that most middle-aged men who are living with a lady rarely do.

I still maintain that no one knows what goes on in someone's mind and heart.. IMO, we absolutely do not know what was on that laptop... But I believe the statement that the laptop contained ONLY personal info may have significance..

Could you consider the possibility that he left PA to join the mate of his heart who lived elsewhere and who may not have moved one inch from where she was residing before he went missing? :)

Well, there are two logical possibilities..
Either the woman had sensibly cut ALL ties with friends and associates, saying she was moving to another state or whatever, and NO ONE ever questioned it.

So far as I know, no one that RFG had any contact with fell into that category; I actually looked at one.

Another possibility is that the other person was a male who was either personally involved enough to help RFG to make a getaway, or was involved with him in a clandestine relationship.
Again, we simply do not know.

Same situation, and, so far as I know, he wouldn't be in a relationship with a man.

Now, I have not ruled out a "helper," a friend that helped him leave voluntarily. I actually think that is now a bit more likely that him going it alone.

2) There is or was something " unsavory" that RFG felt he had to get away from before it was discovered I do not wish to speculate on what this might be, because it could be one of a thousand different things, none of which I truly believe happened.
It would be a strong reason for a public figure of outstanding public reputation to " leave". I am sure that the cost was weighed carefully, should this have been the reason for the leaving. I don't think it was.

Well, in the six years since RFG has disappeared, there has been no suggestion of him doing anything illegal. No money was missing from the office.

As for something unsavory, you have to look at the circumstances. On 4/15/05:

1. RFG was not going to be the DA in 8 1/2 months.

2. RFG was not planning to run for any elected office ever again.

3. RFG was not planning to practice law privately.

It really doesn't matter what his "unsavory" discovery would be, in his life. If RFG had walked into the office on 12/30/05 wearing a tutu, singing "There's Nothing Like a Dame," or if he walked in with his three newborn children and there three mothers, it wouldn't have had any bearing on of this.

The ONE point we disagree on is your absolute certainty in stating a negative " NO other woman is missing" and then your statement "Nobody that Mr. Gricar might have had some contact with "changed jobs" soon after he disappeared".

The Internet opened up a whole new avenue of communication. Sometimes, deeply important, life- changing decisions have been made through Internet interpersonal communication. There IS a reason he protected the laptop to the extent that he did, and I don't think it had anything to do with a case or cases. It had to do with something he valued and needed, IMO. Patty's words about the laptop at one point seemed to indicate that he took it with him every day of his life..

J.J., we do NOT know, NO ONE ELSE KNOWS who Ray Gricar may have been involved with via the Internet. This is NOT to say he found a stranger on the Internet and ran away with them.
No.
Rather that someone from an earlier period in his life, maybe college, maybe even HS, any point in time, could easily have gotten in touch with him, or him with her, via the Internet and an old romance was rekindled. Maybe this person was the love of his life!!!

The question would bewhy go to all that trouble? Why relinquish a sizable pension?

Could you consider the possibility that he left PA to join the mate of his heart who lived elsewhere and who may not have moved one inch from where she was residing before he went missing? :)

Sure, but it is unlikely. He could have left PEF at any time; he just could have ended it and left. Further, he'd risk being spotted; had he left and then sent a message, even to LE, the whole thing is over, with minimal publicity.

Another article: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pennsylvania/126466848.html?page=2&c=y

Steve Sloan thinks RFG is alive.

Tony Gricar is literally noncommittal.

Bob Buehner thinks it was murder.

Stacy Parks Miller backed away from "homicide is the least likely."

Michael Madeira thinks it became harder to follow up.

I'm still at 52% voluntarily departed, 43% foul play.

I just thought I'd post the box scores for those of you keeping track.

I'll change my last post. Though not a direct quote, Madeira thinks it is a probable walkaway.

For some reason I cannot explain, I came to " like" Ray Gricar from reading about him. Probably because he has many admirable traits. This is the first case in which I have had the feeling that I wish I could have known him on a casually friendly basis.

Part of me says " He left, he's doing what he wants to do. Everyone should leave him alone".
Another part of me says " Why disappear? He was an orderly man with comfortable routine to his life. He was doing important work for the people who elected him. If he cared that the dog was comfortable, he cared that same day about justice in Centre County too. He was murdered, his remains need to be found, the murderer needs to be found and prosecuted".

Several people who knew Ray and are quoted in the article say, " We will probably never know what happened to him... but I think he's alive."
The conundrum is that unless he IS found, either dead or alive, murder cannot be ruled out. How does one " walk away" in this case? Make the decision that he is alive somewhere, and just put it to rest?

IMO, if anyone ever deserved justice if he is a murder victim, it's Mr. Gricar. His job was a dangerous one. He may have been killed because he was a successful prosecutor.

Yeah, a simple " Good-bye", a used credit card, or even a 911 call or a suicide note would go towards bringing closure, Someone theorized in the newpaper article that he wanted to " outsmart" LE, as he didn't think so highly of some abilities.. I wonder if he did have that attitude, or if someone was just talking off the top of their head?

I wish the task force would issue a press release every now and then..

For some reason I cannot explain, I came to " like" Ray Gricar from reading about him. Probably because he has many admirable traits. This is the first case in which I have had the feeling that I wish I could have known him on a casually friendly basis.

RFG was quite reserved, even with people who knew him for years.

There are potential motives, but you couldn't prove them, as a rule.

Several people who knew Ray and are quoted in the article say, " We will probably never know what happened to him... but I think he's alive."
The conundrum is that unless he IS found, either dead or alive, murder cannot be ruled out. How does one " walk away" in this case? Make the decision that he is alive somewhere, and just put it to rest?

If he walked away, there would be evidence of how he got out of Lewisburg. That is how you would determine it.

Yeah, a simple " Good-bye", a used credit card, or even a 911 call or a suicide note would go towards bringing closure, Someone theorized in the newpaper article that he wanted to " outsmart" LE, as he didn't think so highly of some abilities.. I wonder if he did have that attitude, or if someone was just talking off the top of their head?

I wish the task force would issue a press release every now and then..

After winning his second re-election, where his opponent did an aggressive door to door campaign, RFG asked the reporter for the DC if the reporter knew how many doors he, RFG, knocked on during the campaign. When the reporter said that he didn't know, RFG held up his thumb and index finger to form a zero.

RFG was an exceptionally bright person (the Gricars are a bright family). He is very well educated. He was one of the top people in his field in the state; he actually developed some innovative things as DA. He was also elected to public office five times. Those things breed ego, deservedly.

The thing is, RFG could out think most everyone. He may have decided to prove it. That is one potential motive, and it is impossible to prove.

I would add that you could determine walkaway if the was some evidence that he was alive well after the week ending 4/22/11.

I would add that you could determine walkaway if the was some evidence that he was alive well after the week ending 4/22/11.

I agree, of course. Not so certain that he didn't have a way out of Lewisburg. To say that he didn't is to say that he met with foul play there, isn't it?

When I asked: "How does one walk away IN this case?", a more accurate question would have been " How does one walk away FROM this case?"
I was NOT questioning Mr. Gricar's abilities to make a plan and follow it through. I was questioning how people who knew him for many years could provide some quotes which mainly seemed like a shrug... Like THEY have walked away from the case, taking their concern with them.. Apparently, there IS a theory or rumor in Centre County which I was unaware of until I read the comments under the article you posted last. Other people seemed to understand it, whereas I do not.. at all. Would you have a look at the comments ? I will not post a rumor, but it's out there all these years later.

Thanks, J.J.

Maria

Stacy Parks Miller's quoted comment on the Gricar disappearance. Source : http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pe...tml?page=2&c=y
Date July 30.2011

"When you consider the fantastical notion that a missing, highly respected, well-known district attorney could disappear virtually without a trace for all these years, you have to leave room for the idea that the explanation for it could be just as unpredictable."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member