‘Take Care of Maya’ - Kowalski v. Johns Hopkins Trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardenista

Reaction score
Apparently there was a show on Netflix about this case. Looks like L&C and CTV are going to cover it

Cathy Russon

@cathyrusson

Have you seen the @netflix doc "Take Care of Maya"? We will be LIVE with opening statements tomorrow morning at 9am ET in the civil trial. Florida family claims the state "medically kidnapped" their daughter with claims of child abuse/Munchausen's syndrome by proxy which ultimately led the mom to die by suicide. #takecareofmaya
@LawCrimeNetwork

WATCH LIVE: ‘Take Care of Maya’ Trial — Kowalski v Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital — Day Five​

The family of Maya Kowalski, the subject of Netflix’s “Take Care of Maya,” allege that a report of child abuse from Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital led to Beata Kowalski taking her own life. The Kowalski’s are suing doctors, the Department of Children and Families, and Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital for $200 million dollars in connection to Beata’s death. According to court documents, the child abuse case against Beata was pushed forward after Maya’s physician confirmed her condition, complex regional pain syndrome, was not the fault of her parents. During the time Beata was separated from Maya, she took her own life.

Good article

Unbelievable.

From the article:
He ruled that Jack could take Maya to Rhode Island to be evaluated by Pradeep Chopra, a professor at Brown University’s medical school who studies CRPS. Later, after Chopra wrote that Maya’s symptoms and response to treatments were consistent with CRPS, and that the diagnoses of Munchausen by proxy and factitious disorder were “incorrect,” Haworth remanded Maya back to Jack’s custody.

On the stand: Dr. Chopra (who is mentioned in the article)

My first concern is how is MK :) doing now? Jack is MK's dad.

From the cut article: What Happened to Maya Kowalski

Jack took her to physical therapy, installed solar panels to heat their pool for aquatherapy, and bought her a teacup Yorkie puppy. CRPS abates over time in most patients. A year and a half later, as Jack watched, astonished, Maya stood up out of her wheelchair, picked up her crutches, and slowly made her way across the room. After 12 more months of swimming, yoga, and exercise, Maya took her first unassisted steps in four years. “I bawled,” Jack said.

Maya is now 16. Mature and well spoken, with wide brown eyes and blonde hair that falls just below her shoulders, she is as academically ambitious as ever, taking part in Duke University’s Talent Identification Program for gifted children. She manages her pain with a daily regimen of intensive exercise. “I still have pain, but it’s not as severe as it once was,” she says, “and I’m forever grateful for that.” In March, competing in her first figure-skating tournament in five years, she took first place.

Much of what happened to the Kowalskis at All Children’s should not have occurred. It was not true that the parents could have been legally arrested if they had taken Maya home on her second day at the hospital. “Against medical advice” discharges are legal and occur every day in the United States; a 2007 study shows that one to 2 percent of all hospital admissions result in one. Also, Smith’s decision to access Maya’s confidential medical records through the All Children’s portal on October 8, 2016, appears to have violated the privacy law known as HIPAA, according to Blaise Wabo, a health-care-compliance expert at a cybersecurity audit firm. Only treating physicians are allowed to access patient records unless a parent gives written consent for another party to do so. Smith was never one of Maya’s treating doctors, and on the day she opened her confidential records, there was no active DCF investigation. HIPAA violations are punishable by significant fines and up to ten years in prison. When I asked All Children’s about how child-abuse pediatricians like Smith are able to access patient records, the hospital did not answer. (Smith disputed that any HIPAA violation occurred.)

UPDATED JUNE 13, 2023

I've watched every court session and am enjoying the very good lawyering and fascinating witnesses. I've learned this is a difficult case to discuss due to the many opposing opinions on both sides.

MISTRIAL? Last week the plaintiff said Maya disclosed late that while she was at John Hopkins a man came in, in a lab/doctor's coat, asked her to take down her pants/underwear, looked, said thank you and left. This is a late disclosure of alleged sexual offense that reports to have taken place at JH. Plaintiffs want to bring a battery and negligent security claim. The jury was never asked about their views on sexual assault. Judge will not allow testimony about this issue since it wasn't raised in the pleading. Judge: Are the plaintiffs moving for a MISTRIAL? Plaintiff: We will need time to consider that. They want to bring in two doctors for the judge to hear a proffer. Judge says the jury was never asked during jury selection about their views on sex assault and nothing can change that. Judge: We're down to the question on if there is a mistrial motion or not? Plaintiff: I need to talk to my clients. They will move forward with Jack's testimony

JK is back on the stand at this time.

WATCH LIVE: ‘Take Care of Maya’ Trial — Kowalski v Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital — Day Eight​

The family of Maya Kowalski, the subject of Netflix’s “Take Care of Maya,” allege that a report of child abuse from Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital led to Beata Kowalski taking her own life. The Kowalski’s are suing doctors, the Department of Children and Families, and Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital for $200 million dollars in connection to Beata’s death. According to court documents, the child abuse case against Beata was pushed forward after Maya’s physician confirmed her condition, complex regional pain syndrome, was not the fault of her parents. During the time Beata was separated from Maya, she took her own life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back