1568DMAL - Elmer L Ross went missing in 1998 in Highland Home, Alabama, possibly in a confused state. He was in the early stages of Alzheimer Disease.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Tomada701

Reaction score
Elmer1.jpgElmer.jpg

Ross was last seen at his residence in Highland Home, Alabama on October 26, 1998 at approximately 1:30 a.m. He has never been seen again. It is possible that he wandered away from his house in a confused state or caught a ride with someone.

Ross raised puppies for a living in 1998. He may have had a small amount of money with him when he left his home. His case remains unsolved.
Date of Birth: July 9, 1921
Race: White
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Hair Color: Gray
Eye Color: Blue
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: He has a mustache and moles on his face, back, and chest. He was in the early stages of Alzheimer's at the time he vanished. He may be disoriented or confused as a result of his condition. Ross has moles on his face, chest and back. He had a mustache at the time of his 1998 disappearance.
(All the information above was taken from the Charley Project page for Elmer, as well as the Alabama Law Enforcement page for missing people and the Doe Network page.
This is my first post here, sorry if I made any mistakes on it.

I always came back to this case because it feels personal to me in a way, and due to me being very concerned to the wellbeing of the elderly people.

While searching for it on Google, I noticed a page in the Ancestry for one Elmer Leon Ross, born in 24 June 1921, who lived in Conecuh, Alabama, United States in 1935 and Election Precinct 11 Evergreen, Conecuh, Alabama, United States in 1940. He died on 15 February 2002, in Lapine, Alabama, United States, at the age of 80. He had a wife who passed away in 1975 and a daughter who passed away in 2004, other born in 1947 and unknown date of death (if still living) and other daughter born in 1946 and no date of death listed (if still living). He also had one son, for whom there is no date of birth and death.
The birthdate is not the same, but this catch me an eye; I sadly think its just a coincidence.

The distance from Evergreen to Highland Home is 67 miles and is a 1 hour drive by car (if non-stop).
The distance from Lapine to Highland Home is 3 miles (5 minute drive if non-stop).
I am Brazilian and not very well-informed about USA geography, so if this is wrong, please correct in the reply.

Although sadly Elmer Leon Ross is not the missing Elmer L Ross, the detail from him catching a ride with someone made me believe (if he was the Elmer Leon Ross) he may wanted to see one of his daughters/son. Excluding Elmer Leon Ross, the only other theory I have is that the man that possible caught Elmer L Ross a ride could had droven him to a hospital where he could later be checked upon and the case was not updated by then. Sadly, with no information available, I don't think it will ever be solved. I hope Elmer L Ross is resting at peace.

Last edited:
I noticed that I posted Elmer L. Ross case in the "Missing Person Discussion" which is apparently for active cases in 2024 and that I should have posted his case in the 1990's Missing sub-forum. I apologize for that. Is there a way for me to move this thread into 1990s missing sub-forum?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artificiallife86
Back