2009.05.28 Motions Hearing

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was so damn painful. Perhaps she would have acknowleged them if she was not distracted by shaking all the attorneys' hands? I kinda doubt it though.

Like I mentioned before, it was kind of like two expectant dogs lovingly and eagerly waiting for attention and being totally ignored. It was sad and they seemed crushed.

I know she's not supposed to have like CONVERSATIONS with people other than counsel but how hard would it have been to turn her head around while the side-bar is going on and to smile at them, or just look at them? Or to stop and wave before going out? The bailiffs were not pushing her along, she could have if she wanted to.

After all, these two people are perhaps two of the only people left on the planet who truly love her. Whatever grudge does she hold against them? Why can't she be bothered?

If they had all agreed that she would not look at them then they would not have had that look of expectation and then extreme sadness, right?

Agreed. She has cut them off for some reason. Silly girl, she doesn't have many people left on her side.

I have just one word for the defense's showing/arguments at the hearing I just reviewed: unprofessional.
It's not worth my time to get into the many reasons why - it would take me at least half an hour of straight typing.

I will say that if the new DP attorney were any different than the rest of Casey's defense attorneys in terms of professionalism and preparedness, she would have filed her notice of appearance prior to today's hearing. I wouldn't have accepted this matter without being allowed to properly enroll by filing the requisite motion to enroll pro hac vice & notice of appearance listing my DP credentials. The fact that she didn't speaks volumes to me.

I have just one word for the defense's showing/arguments at the hearing I just reviewed: unprofessional.
It's not worth my time to get into the many reasons why - it would take me at least half an hour of straight typing.

I will say that if the new DP attorney were any different than the rest of Casey's defense attorneys in terms of professionalism and preparedness, she would have filed her notice of appearance prior to today's hearing. I wouldn't have accepted this matter without being allowed to properly enroll by filing the requisite motion to enroll pro hac vice & notice of appearance listing my DP credentials. The fact that she didn't speaks volumes to me.

My thoughts exactly. She did, however, have time to plan a trip to Orlando. And she says she's "just starting to learn about the case."

Sounds to me like these are just stall tactics to push the trial back further.

--emphasis mine

Specifically, what does it say to you?

I ask, because I agree. I'm thinking that Andrea Lyons isn't totally sure she wants to play ball in this park. I don't get the feeling that she is willing to play second fiddle to the likes of Jose Baez. Just my initial thoughts, I'd love to know yours.

I agree that she should have attended to her housekeeping before being introduced to the court. I honestly think that today was just another JB production. TM sat in on a hearing before his pro hac motion was granted ... but was not made an attorney of record (either by statement or deed) until after he was granted permission by the court. JB was strutting today ... chest puffed out in pride ... it wasn't about formally introducing her to the court he wanted "the world" to know!! There is simply no other reason for practically reciting her CV to the judge -- who will be fully aware of her credentials once the appropriate motion has been filed. I know someone who has worked with AL on several cases ... and he told me a while back to expect her involvement. I have researched her extensively since then ... and I just do not see that any of what happened today was her doing. Still, she needs to get a tight grip of this situation really fast. I don't think that she has any idea how unprofessional and well, green JB really is!

I agree that she should have attended to her housekeeping before being introduced to the court. I honestly think that today was just another JB production. TM sat in on a hearing before his pro hac motion was granted ... but was not made an attorney of record (either by statement or deed) until after he was granted permission by the court. JB was strutting today ... chest puffed out in pride ... it wasn't about formally introducing her to the court he wanted "the world" to know!! There is simply no other reason for practically reciting her CV to the judge -- who will be fully aware of her credentials once the appropriate motion has been filed. I know someone who has worked with AL on several cases ... and he told me a while back to expect her involvement. I have researched her extensively since then ... and I just do not see that any of what happened today was her doing. Still, she needs to get a tight grip of this situation really fast. I don't think that she has any idea how unprofessional and well, green JB really is!
Bolded by me, Chezhire.

Yes - green like the hanky he sported today. :evilcatgrin:

ETA: precious picture of your daughter. :)

The judge did coment to JB about making sure he got in his "commercial" for new atty, and that he had not seen her paperwork . . .

It was so damn painful. Perhaps she would have acknowleged them if she was not distracted by shaking all the attorneys' hands? I kinda doubt it though.

Like I mentioned before, it was kind of like two expectant dogs lovingly and eagerly waiting for attention and being totally ignored. It was sad and they seemed crushed.

I know she's not supposed to have like CONVERSATIONS with people other than counsel but how hard would it have been to turn her head around while the side-bar is going on and to smile at them, or just look at them? Or to stop and wave before going out? The bailiffs were not pushing her along, she could have if she wanted to.

After all, these two people are perhaps two of the only people left on the planet who truly love her. Whatever grudge does she hold against them? Why can't she be bothered?

If they had all agreed that she would not look at them then they would not have had that look of expectation and then extreme sadness, right?

I don't know, I don't see the way they are as "truly loving her" and I suspect SHE doesn't either. Truly loving someone is loving them despite their faults, accepting them for who they are, regardless of their choices in life. It's about being who you are, in all your glory and all your ugly and knowing that you will still be loved even IF you did something awful.

This girl had to hide everything about herself for years and years, her mother made up in her own head who SHE wanted her to be and ran with that, lying and lying (lying to herself and lying to others!) beginning with Casey's pregnancy (though I suspect it began way before that, but I have no proof so I'll start there) about everything that DEFINES who Casey really is. She's still lying, making things up about Casey's life to what SHE wants people to think about her. She's lying about their relationship, abut what kind of mother Casey was, about not being worried about caylee when Casey was gone for that month, about the fight, the pictures taken while Casey was clubbing when caylee was missing, about Casey's job (one day Cindy says the cops are liars, that Casey did have a job, the next she says she didn't), she pretends Casey never stole from everyone around her.

I'll stop there but there's more, lots more... we all know that! None of the above is love, I'm sorry. Can you imagine being so UNaccepted by anyone (let alone ones own parents), that they feel the need to re-write your entire life story? This girl was never truly loved (or accepted) by anyone... least of all her mother.

--emphasis mine

Specifically, what does it say to you?

I ask, because I agree. I'm thinking that Andrea Lyons isn't totally sure she wants to play ball in this park. I don't get the feeling that she is willing to play second fiddle to the likes of Jose Baez. Just my initial thoughts, I'd love to know yours.
In general about the attorney's lack of professionalism. Attorneys who practice professionalism, and who are serious about what they do, act accordingly and file the basic requisite motions to enroll (+ a whole lot more.) She could have had a newly minted attorney prepare these motions to enroll pro hac vice and notice of appearance with her DP credentials. These are just that basic. If she's serious enough to appear today in the courtroom, then these should've been filed prior to this morning's hearing, period, even if she's not sure about being involved for the duration.

I guess she has learned not to expect JB's staff to take care of the paper work correctly. No matter what he says.

I am starting to think that all of these ill-written, illogical, unprofessional and whiny motions JB and his team are filing might be done on purpose as strategy to influence the jury pool and nothing else.

Sort of like on Dancing With the Stars, where numbers are choreographed specifically to appeal to the voting audience regardless of the fact they break rules for which the judges will deduct points.

Let's face it, these are all videotaped and streamed from every local media outlet and replayed nationally, often out of context to people who know way less than we do about the case - ie: potential jurors. Strickland has already chastised the defense for unseemly public appearances.

It struck me today that perhaps all this irrelevant, untimely and unnecessary info and posturing by the defense team is designed - like other courtroom tricks in which attorneys say something on purpose that they know will be formally stricken from the record but nevertheless stays in the jury's minds - to simply influence the public in little sound bytes.

For instance Jose implying that JG and AH are or were "suspects" - blatantly telegraphing and attempting to legitimize a SODDI direction - yet later arguing that specificity in telephone requests will uncloak vital clues to his defense strategy.

Macaluso, setting up his portion with unnecessary detail in which he tries to accuse the defendant of being "set up" by LE under pretense of a medical event, in which he claims her HIPAA rights are being violated (even though he does nothing to establish she is even protected under HIPAA criteria and further complains she is given no medical treatment). His argument was so circular, self-contradictory and inconsistent as to be laughable to most of us, much less the SA and other attorneys present.

JB giving his little "commercial" about Lyons' win record, his continuing suggestions that the state is responsible for discovery "leaks" and even LKB's previous disrespectful remark about "educating" the court seem as if they are designed more for video clips than anything else.

JB and his team are trying to benefit by these incessant and ridiculous motions being available to the media regardless of the immediate effect they have on the court.

I don't think Ashton should spend any more time laughing at JB in court - it's just as unprofessional as anything the defense is doing and it makes him look unaware that JB and his crew may be willing to look like idiots to manipulate the state in order to garner valuable media attention. I think it's about time that Strickland impose his own gag order on some of this circus. JB is just trying to counteract the Sunshine Law with his own Mug Time campaign.

Yip...that was just hideous to watch. Their body language was so needy and she basically kicked them in the teeth. Not nice to see anybody treated like that, regardless of their own past behaviour.

Wonder how they like it?

In general about the attorney's lack of professionalism. Attorneys who practice professionally, and who are serious about what they do, act accordingly and file the basic requisite motions to enroll (+ a whole lot more.) She could have had a newly minted attorney prepare these motions to enroll pro hac vice and notice of appearance with her DP credentials. These are just that basic.

If JB said his staff would take care of the paperwork needed.... Shouldn't she expect that his staff would be up to handling this simple task?

I'm seriously wondering if this was part of the stall game.

In general about the attorney's lack of professionalism. Attorneys who practice professionalism, and who are serious about what they do, act accordingly and file the basic requisite motions to enroll (+ a whole lot more.) She could have had a newly minted attorney prepare these motions to enroll pro hac vice and notice of appearance with her DP credentials. These are just that basic. If she's serious enough to appear today in the courtroom, then these should've been filed prior to this morning's hearing, period, even if she's not sure about being involved for the duration.

Gosh I love how you tell it like it is! :blowkiss:

Maybe I missed it but it was quite a scene when she tried to speak and was absolutely cut off at the knees by the State's Attorney and then the Court.

Perhaps people watching were having sound troubles but it was very intense and I did not see that mentioned here.

If I remember correctly, Baez starting introducing her and then the State's attorney IMMEDIATELY jumped up and starting talking about how she was not allowed to speak. Strickland quickly agreed and Baez said that the motion for pro hac vice would be faxed over today. I was shocked because it is something that could be done very quickly. Why wasn't this already done? If she's not an Orlando attorney (which she is not), logically she agreed to be on the case before today and had to fly here from her home state. Logic would dictate that after she agreed to be on the case there was enough TIME to type up the simple motion. Logic would also dictate that her credentials were known. I would even go out on a limb and say that they could have woken up this morning and typed it up and had it filed before the hearing.

It also would seem to me that since the public was given a build up about this new attorney coming on board that the red carpet would have been rolled out properly. In my opinion, so many good opportunities are missed by the lack of simple civil procedure.

did JB just say "when the incident occurred"...then correct himself to say some bumbling thing???

rut---roow

I thought I heard that too and also Baez saying something about the death being an accident. Did anyone here that come out of JB's mouth or was I hearing things?

If JB said his staff would take care of the paperwork needed.... Shouldn't she expect that his staff would be up to handling this simple task?

I'm seriously wondering if this was part of the stall game.
I rather doubt that is what happened behind the scenes prior to today. When I've been enrolled pro hac vice, I always prepare my own motions. Why? It's easier for me to regurgitate the necessary information than to have to spoon feed it to someone else who's not a part of my firm. More importantly: if I'm enrolling due to the need for my experience, then I want my experience being what's behind my written materials, for starters, and if I'm going to delegate to someone else, even if it's to another attorney in my firm, then you can bet I'm going to review the final product before it's filed. There's no way I would have appeared in court today and sat at the defense table without filing the motion to enroll pro hac vice + the notice of appearance w/my DP creds.

It was not as blatant as saying, "Jessie G is a suspect."

It was more obscure like (paraphrased), "...even up until recently he was considered a suspect".

Regardless, I felt exactly as you do; it was just plain wrong.

Trying to haul out some of what I learned about journalism in college,
it seems to me that JG has grounds for a libel suit against JB, esp. b/c JB knew his statement would be broadcast on TV. Have to go back and watch again - if he said JG was considered to be a suspect in this case, that is an untruthful statement.

LIBEL
An untruthful statement about a person, published in writing or through broadcast media, that injures the person's reputation or standing in the community. Because libel is a tort (a civil wrong), the injured person can bring a lawsuit against the person who made the false statement. Libel is a form of defamation , as is slander (an untruthful statement that is spoken, but not published in writing or broadcast through the media).

http://www.nolo.com/definition.cfm/term/7613C25C-8E5D-47A5-9E0D93B952DE16E7

JB was trying to cast suspicion on JB by saying he had been a suspect in the case. He got his message across - some of us certainly heard it.

Can I sue someone who says or writes something defamatory about me?
In order to prove defamation, you have to prove that what was said or written about you was false. If the information is true, or if you consented to publication of the material, you will not have a case. However, you may bring an action for libel or slander if the comments are so reprehensible and false that they affect your reputation in the community or cast aspersions on you. Consult a libel and slander attorney to best evaluate your claim.

Can I sue someone who says or writes something defamatory about me?

Any legal opinions on this?

:clap:
Maybe I missed it but it was quite a scene when she tried to speak and was absolutely cut off at the knees by the State's Attorney and then the Court.

Perhaps people watching were having sound troubles but it was very intense and I did not see that mentioned here.

If I remember correctly, Baez starting introducing her and then the State's attorney IMMEDIATELY jumped up and starting talking about how she was not allowed to speak. Strickland quickly agreed and Baez said that the motion for pro hac vice would be faxed over today. I was shocked because it is something that could be done very quickly. Why wasn't this already done? If she's not an Orlando attorney (which she is not), logically she agreed to be on the case before today and had to fly here from her home state. Logic would dictate that after she agreed to be on the case there was enough TIME to type up the simple motion. Logic would also dictate that her credentials were known. I would even go out on a limb and say that they could have woken up this morning and typed it up and had it filed before the hearing.

It also would seem to me that since the public was given a build up about this new attorney coming on board that the red carpet would have been rolled out properly. In my opinion, so many good opportunities are missed by the lack of simple civil procedure.
This is exactly what I'm referring to. If she were a serious, professional attorney, she'd have filed the requisite motions. She's lucky that Judge Strickland didn't give her a lecture when she opened her :biglaugh:

Yip...that was just hideous to watch. Their body language was so needy and she basically kicked them in the teeth. Not nice to see anybody treated like that, regardless of their own past behaviour.

local tv news here in fl said cindy blew casey a kiss. said cindy and george told reporters it was a very hard day. the videos i saw did not show any kiss thrown. cameras off??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mwaggoner16