2009.5.04 Change of Venue and tainting the Jury Pool

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully snipped.

It sounds like she wrote this herself. Why would JB approve of this? I used to paralegal and never would I allow my attorney to even look at something like this. My attorney would have had bust a heart valve on me for sounding so unprofessional.

I think she did! Sounds like...

"I believe that Mr. Ashton is angry because I have refused to take a plea agreement for a crime that I DID NOT commit."

I'm beginning to wonder if Baez can write LOL

I read a comment in the Miami Herald from a local in response to their story about this COV motion. The poster said Baez is crazy to want to move it down there. He said the people of Miami don't play when it comes to cases like this and if she's found guilty, she WILL be sentenced to death.

That's what I'm counting on!

Hubris, thy name is Jose Baez. :)

They should be granted a change of venue. And if granted it shouldn't be Miami Dade Jose is going for the Hispanic jury, he wants to be on his own turf. They should move it to Palm Beach County, no one talks about the case here and it gets very little coverage.

I totally agree with you here. Remember, it only takes "1" juror for a "hung jury" and a re-trial! If Jose feels he can get "1" sympathetic hispanic juror, he wins! Again, similar to OJ trial, playing the "race" card when the "deck is stacked against him"...:furious:

What really pizzes me off about this whole COV thing is that from DAY 1 (I have grown to hate that term) if JB had instructed, encouraged or required his defendant to act in a somewhat different manner, i.e., worried, upset at the disappearance of her daughter, begging for help to find her daughter, show some kind of remorse or caring type of behavior, the jury pool might feel differently. But either he is just to arrogant (or ignorant) to have seen past his own potential gain, OR he just simply can't make KC act any differently than she does. She is incapable of being anything but what she is....a cold hearted killer. Hence the predrawn conclusion by many that she is guilty as charged.

I totally agree with you here. Remember, it only takes "1" juror for a "hung jury" and a re-trial! If Jose feels he can get "1" sympathetic hispanic juror, he wins! Again, similar to OJ trial, playing the "race" card when the "deck is stacked against him"...:furious:

The thing is they have been trying to pin it on a Hispanic nanny...not sure who will be sympathetic.

True all he needs is one and he will be trying every thing from squirrels to our nerves to get that one juror...no matter where the trial ends up

I think what they need, since JB is intent on playing the race card, is a hispanic on the SA side to level the playing field. This trial should have absolutely nothing to do with JB and his being hispanic! This trial is about a little girl who was left to rot in a field while her mother partied!:furious:

The thing is they have been trying to pin it on a Hispanic nanny...not sure who will be sympathetic.

True all he needs is one and he will be trying every thing from squirrels to our nerves to get that one juror...no matter where the trial ends up

ITA. I think minorities in every city are pretty sick of white women pinning their heinous crimes on them. Susan Smith rings a bell.

I wonder if casey will end up at the prison in Starke...? O/T I know but i was just curious....

What really pizzes me off about this whole COV thing is that from DAY 1 (I have grown to hate that term) if JB had instructed, encouraged or required his defendant to act in a somewhat different manner, i.e., worried, upset at the disappearance of her daughter, begging for help to find her daughter, show some kind of remorse or caring type of behavior, the jury pool might feel differently. But either he is just to arrogant (or ignorant) to have seen past his own potential gain, OR he just simply can't make KC act any differently than she does. She is incapable of being anything but what she is....a cold hearted killer. Hence the predrawn conclusion by many that she is guilty as charged.

I was thinking the same thing the other day...why didn't he ever have her beg for Caylee???? I understand the no talking stuff but it would have presented itself lots better than the comments that only if public is nice will they give info or that other bs line of wait till court.....this is about jb and jab only.....:bang:

Quick question here. Should JB be filing all these motions for a DP case? Where is Casey's DP attorney?

The reason I ask is that another LEAD attorney might not agree with all the "stuff" written in JB's motion and KC's affidavit.

Also, JB has mentioned he has DP qualified lawyers, plural, on the team. Who are they all if newbie JB is apparently still in full charge?

This is a really important point - I'd love to hear from Chez or another one of our fair attorney friends.

COV could be seen as a trial strategy (that could actually backfire), and if JB does not qualify for lead attorney in this case, should the judge even be entertaining pleas like this from him going forward?

Here's and article from the Miami Herald. Sounds lke this could be a long trial.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/columnists/fred-grimm/story/1035921.html

I just read this today. It's an interesting article calling South Florida "...the land of wildcard juries."

snipped from article:

"It's no surprise that Casey Anthony's lawyer, arguing that the deck is stacked against his notoriety-drenched client in Orlando, not only requested a change of venue, but a change to a particular venue."

"José Baez, a one-time intern with the Miami-Dade Public Defender's Office, wants Anthony's murder trial moved to South Florida, the land of wildcard juries."

"Baez, you might have noticed, didn't request a trial in Jacksonville or Ocala or Tampa or some other town where juries aren't known for veering into the Twilight Zone."

The article goes on to cite cases in S. Florida where juries "veered into the twilight zone". According to the article, Miami-Dade county juries are a "bit different". It's scary to read some of the verdicts these jurors came back with. This is exactly the kind of jury Baez is hoping for. If what this article says is true, I hope the trial isn't moved down there. :eek:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/5min/story/1035921.html

The comments are scarier then the article....:eek:...please, please keep the trial in Orlando....

I just read this today. It's an interesting article calling South Florida "...the land of wildcard juries."

snipped from article:

"It's no surprise that Casey Anthony's lawyer, arguing that the deck is stacked against his notoriety-drenched client in Orlando, not only requested a change of venue, but a change to a particular venue."

"José Baez, a one-time intern with the Miami-Dade Public Defender's Office, wants Anthony's murder trial moved to South Florida, the land of wildcard juries."

"Baez, you might have noticed, didn't request a trial in Jacksonville or Ocala or Tampa or some other town where juries aren't known for veering into the Twilight Zone."

The article goes on to cite cases in S. Florida where juries "veered into the twilight zone". According to the article, Miami-Dade county juries are a "bit different". It's scary to read some of the verdicts these jurors came back with. This is exactly the kind of jury Baez is hoping for. If what this article says is true, I hope the trial isn't moved down there. :eek:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/5min/story/1035921.html

Yeah, I hope if they do agree to the change of Venue then they do not allow him to select the venue that it is moved TO...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...t-that-defense-team-called-a-fabrication.html

FTA: "
Jose Baez's spokeswoman said WFTV's Kathi Belich was wrong when she reported this week that Baez "faxed copies of his motion for a change of venue to some reporters before he ever filed it with the court."
Baez spokeswoman Marti Mackenzie fired off an e-mail to the station: "Please retract this fabrication that you reported. Let us know when you plan to retract your report."
"We're not going to retract it," WFTV news director Bob Jordan told me. "Faxed or handed. Makes no difference how it was transmitted. What matters is that it was transmitted to reporters."

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...t-that-defense-team-called-a-fabrication.html

FTA: "
Jose Baez's spokeswoman said WFTV's Kathi Belich was wrong when she reported this week that Baez "faxed copies of his motion for a change of venue to some reporters before he ever filed it with the court."
Baez spokeswoman Marti Mackenzie fired off an e-mail to the station: "Please retract this fabrication that you reported. Let us know when you plan to retract your report."
"We're not going to retract it," WFTV news director Bob Jordan told me. "Faxed or handed. Makes no difference how it was transmitted. What matters is that it was transmitted to reporters."

read that yesterday and loved it!!! Does show that he is out for publicity more than he claims...I am still trying to figure out why he hired a spokesperson when he wants to do all the talking himself.... :bang::waitasec:

So true, but why?????????? He needs to take his squirrel and head down the road. How can he keep popping up with motions and B.S---Media---make him go away. The man CAN NOT do a DP trial------but yet he is still doin it. WHY??? When will he be made to sit down and shut up? He cannot do the trial-------well----lets get somebody up to bat who can. Do you think maybe there is nobody to take over. I thought he was in trouble with the Bar. When they gonna make him step away. I'm drowning here. Must be something I'm not understanding. If they don't do something then I'm just gonna have to get away from this case. I am so sick of watching peeps who have been out and out lying. Have never seen so many slimy peeps in one spot.

I think what they need, since JB is intent on playing the race card, is a hispanic on the SA side to level the playing field. This trial should have absolutely nothing to do with JB and his being hispanic! This trial is about a little girl who was left to rot in a field while her mother partied!:furious:

BOLDED BY ME.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Amen---Amen----now thats what I'm talkin about. Hellooooo.

So true, but why?????????? He needs to take his squirrel and head down the road. How can he keep popping up with motions and B.S---Media---make him go away. The man CAN NOT do a DP trial------but yet he is still doin it. WHY??? When will he be made to sit down and shut up? He cannot do the trial-------well----lets get somebody up to bat who can. Do you think maybe there is nobody to take over. I thought he was in trouble with the Bar. When they gonna make him step away. I'm drowning here. Must be something I'm not understanding. If they don't do something then I'm just gonna have to get away from this case. I am so sick of watching peeps who have been out and out lying. Have never seen so many slimy peeps in one spot.

My take is- JB knows he can't be lead at the trial- therefore, he will make as many waves as possible, before he has to step back, as the lead can't do all this nonsense and be taken seriously at trial. JB is pretty slick.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faithfülly