2010.04.27 Hope allegedly said "Everyone was supposed to plea the same way"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope was on probation for 6 other charges incurred in the last year. She got what she deserved, and better than she would have fared had she gone to trial, where her priors would come into play in a much harsher way.

Fifteen years gives her plenty of time to be a different person, a BETTER person, when she gets out. God willing, and Hope complies.

HS did herself in, IMO...she is one rebellious, defiant teen. Seems she had a choice to go to boot camp and she flatly refuses, even her phone call tells her attitude and how to her, seems not to be a big deal dealing drugs. Seems this is the lifestyle they all have been accustomed to for a while. There is no disputing her part in this, she's caught right smack dab in the middle of an UC sting, wheeling and dealing..if you live by the sword, you will die by the sword, KWIM??

I truly doubt anyone could have taken her charges, even if RC claims HS had no knowledge of what was going on in that vehicle, the UC tape disproves that.

I don't feel sorry for HS for getting the "mandatory" minimum seems like this is what she wanted and for a teen of 18, she's got many arrests under her belt already, which way was she headed? They all don't seem to think they have a problem, KWIM...I only hope she takes advantage of the prison system and gets herself an education, people can change if they want! JMHO

I do wonder what the other players think about HS's sentence. Both RC and MC have the most charges, IIRC, MC has 8 and RC has 5...if each carry this minimum sentence of 15 years, we will not see them free for quite sometime.

I believe the time Hope spent alone in jail separated from her druggie friends made her come to her senses. I think her attitude changed since she spoke to her mom on the phone and she did feel remorse for what she had done. I believe while she sat in jail she had a genuine change of heart and she wised up. Ronald, her first cousin, had a negative influence on Hope and I think she straightened herself out and was headed in a new direction, but unfortunately, the change she made wasn't pointed out to the Judge and considered in her sentencing.
<snipped>
"I let drugs control my life, I let my family down. I know I messed up. I want help. I don't want to live this life no more. I want to get a GED, go to college and become a physical therapist."

http://www.gainesville.com/article/...gs-cousin-gets-15-years-for-trafficking&tc=ar

I don't understand this thread? What Hope says is that everyone was supposed to plead in an open court. She says nothing about everyone pleading the same.

She then goes on the try to explain to her mother what an 'open court' is. People speaking on her behalf.

I don't understand this thread? What Hope says is that everyone was supposed to plead in an open court. She says nothing about everyone pleading the same.

She then goes on the try to explain to her mother what an 'open court' is. People speaking on her behalf.

I have bad hearing, but I hear her say everyone is supposed to plead in o p. No idea what that is.

I have bad hearing, but I hear her say everyone is supposed to plead in o p. No idea what that is.

Yes, at her sentencing hearing. she talks about the fact that her mom is supposed to get in touch with her character witnesses.

It has nothing to do with the other defendants making the same 'No Contest' plea on their respective drug charges.

IMO

Yes it was Hopes attny who told her to plea no contest.
IMO it looks like someone lead Hope in the wrong direction. I stated somewhere here before, dont get me wrong, I despise drugs and those who sell them but 15 years for 25 pills????
Child molesters rape and get off with 3 months and a warning....:banghead:
something aint right.

I did some research because I did not understand the 15 years for 25 pills either. This may put it in perspective.

According to the arrest report:

(25) LIGHT BLUE OVAL SHAPE PILLS WITH WATSON 540
MARKED ON ONE SIDE, AND A SCORED ON THE OTHER SIDE, WEIGHING 16.2 GRAMS Value Stolen or Damaged: $190.00 Value Recovered: $190.00 Victim 1 Complaint Signed

Lortab Watson 540's, each pills contains 10 mg of hydrocodone and 500 mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol). The 25 pills would be 250 mg (.25 grams) of hydrocodone or "controlled substance" and 12,500 mg (12.5 grams) of Tylenol. However, they were charged with possession of 16.2 grams of a controlled substance.

When it comes to "prescription" medicine, the weight is figured on the weight of the entire pill, not the weight of the controlled substance. According to the weight on the arrest report each pill weighs approx. .648 grams. 98% of that weight or approx. .635 grams is Tylenol so approx. .012 of each pill is a controlled substance. The actual "weight" of the hydrocodone would be approx. 0.3 grams.

Her sentence for 25 pills according to the statutes is equivalent to the sentence for:

"10,000 pounds or more, or is 10,000 or more cannabis plants, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 15 calendar years and pay a fine of $200,000. "

"400 grams or more, but less than 150 kilograms, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 15 calendar years and pay a fine of $250,000."

In fact, if they had 16.2 grams of cocaine, they would have been charged with possession, not trafficking. The minimum amoung of cocaine to be charged with trafficking is 28 grams.

"28 grams or more, but less than 200 grams, such person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 3 years, and the defendant shall be ordered to pay a fine of $50,000."

Prescription pain pill abuse is a HUGE problem. However, IMO, 25 pills or 3 days worth of a legal prescription should not be sending someone to prison for 15 years.

This thread is swaying in the wrong direction a tad.

Remember, it is only about Hope's comment that everyone was supposed to plea the same way and what could she be talking about?

This thread is swaying in the wrong direction a tad.

Remember, it is only about Hope's comment that everyone was supposed to plea the same way and what could she be talking about?

That isn't what she said. IMO

After giving Hope's situation quite a bit of thought today, those are the exact thoughts I had, G'ma. Pleading not guilty would've been a big risk, IMO. Whether or not she had constructive possession of the drugs, a jury would've looked at those videos and seen that she was clearly an active participant. When all the chips were in, her only option was to cut her losses and take the 15 years.

If she had valuable information on her codefendants, she could've plead no contest and bargained for a lighter sentence. So, either she had no information to offer, or she was willing to do 15 years and keep her mouth shut out of loyalty. :sick:

ETA: I posted this in another thread but it's germane to this discussion, as well. It's an interesting read on Substantial Assistance and drug trafficking in Florida. Note that the statute reads, "reduce or suspend". IF she has any information to share, TN better make sure her commissary account stays nice and fat lest she have a change of heart.

Florida statute section 893.135(4) provides that "[t]he state attorney may move the sentencing court to reduce or suspend the sentence of any person who is convicted of a violation of this section and who provides substantial assistance in the identification, arrest, or conviction of any of that person's accomplices, accessories, coconspirators, or principals or of any other person engaged in trafficking in controlled substances. . . . The judge hearing the motion may reduce or suspend the sentence if the judge finds that the defendant rendered such substantial assistance."
All is well and good if an individual provides substantial assistance and in return receives a reduction in sentence. Some people, though, are unable to provide the prosecutor with such information. Others are simply unwilling to do so. In either case, substantial assistance is of no help to them.

continued at the link: http://www.justiceflorida.com/articles/sentencing-1/

IMO, Hope will have a deal. The statute says that the state's attorney may move for a reduction in sentence after a conviction if the person substantially assists.

When the others go to trial, Hope will be called as a witness. She does not have a choice. She has been convicted so cannot plead the 5th. Now Hope can answer truthfully on the stand that she does not have a deal.

I think Hope's attorney talked her into pleading "no contest" because Hope was not wiling to cooperate before and needed an attitude adjustment. That Hope said everyone was supposed to plead the same says that Hope was not listening to her attorney but the others. What better attitude adjustment than 15 years in prison?

I think Hope was used to send a message to others that these drug charges will be taken very seriously.

I think after everything is said and done, Hope will not be serving 15 years.

Please elaborate. :)

Hope: "Everyone was supposed to plea in open house court. Did she tell you that?" "Did she tell you that she'll probably need your number to plead in open house court"

ALL of this is in reference to her sentencing hearing and has absolutely nothing to do with the other defendants. She goes on the tell her mom that she needs to get numbers for the people that will be her character witnesses so that they can go 'IN OPEN COURT'.

Hope: "An open courthouse is when the person comes up and sets there and says, Hey, my daughter is this good at this and that..."

Nothing whatsoever to do with guilty/not guilty/no contest pleas of the others accused.

Hope: "Everyone was supposed to plea in open house court. Did she tell you that?" "Did she tell you that she'll probably need your number to plead in open house court"

ALL of this is in reference to her sentencing hearing and has absolutely nothing to do with the other defendants. She goes on the tell her mom that she needs to get numbers for the people that will be her character witnesses so that they can go 'IN OPEN COURT'.

Hope: "An open courthouse is when the person comes up and sets there and says, Hey, my daughter is this good at this and that..."

Nothing whatsoever to do with guilty/not guilty/no contest please of the others accused.

That's sure not how I heard it when I listened and DANG now I have to listen again! (TORTURE! The language!) You've got a strong argument there! Good job!

Thats the way I understood it too, E. I was under the impression Hope made that statement elsewhere... didn't realize it was in re to her phone call to mom.

Thats the way I understood it too, E. I was under the impression Hope made that statement elsewhere... didn't realize it was in re to her phone call to mom.

I looked through the thread before posting because I thought maybe there was a link to her saying it somewhere else, but all of the links on this thread are about the call with her mom. (wow does that girl have a mouth!)

If it is the call with the mom, then this thread is 7 pages of misinfo because she never said they would all make the same plea. IMO

Yehp, that's right. DANG! When I listened to it the first time, I heard it as saying everyone was 10 steps ahead of the game and that they were all going to make a plea. The weird part is that I can still hear her saying it.

Unless someone else knows she said this elsewhere, this issue is over and the thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member