2010.06.21 ~ CNN says focus of investigation not on TH

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if the family was already thinking in terms of how to best "lure" the media in the early days of Kyron's disappearance, I find that very strange. I do not feel that regular PR applies to the situation of a missing child who might possibly be alive but in any case needs to be found ASAP. I am not liking the thought that any PR is involved here and personally do not feel that it is. The local media seems to be ready to print almost anything pertaining to Kyron, and have to wait for scraps.

But then again, in the early days, KOIN's survey showed that almost 50% of their readers were already tired of the story getting too much attention. So maybe I am wrong about the general public wanting fresh stories every day, maybe it is more of a sub-population who is waiting on edge of collective chairs.

The following is my speculation only.

We know that LE asked the guardian of at least one witness, Kyron's seatmate, not to talk to the press. It's not too big a leap to infer that they told other witnesses the same thing because no other witness has gone to the media. Is there any reason to think they wouldn't tell the main witness, TMH, the same thing? Which would then extend to the three people she was most likely to confide in about what she saw that morning, the three other parents.

In the first week, was there really any need to stoke media interest? I'd say not. Those endless "no comment" press conferences were well attended by the media and the story was growing steadily.

I sincerely hope that the family has someone professional to advise them who is inot emotionally invested in the situation and who only has their best interests in mind. Best would be a good lawyer. I hope that every family in such situations gets a lawyer fairly early on to protect them. No one should go through what Jaycee Dugard's stepfather or Riley Fox's father went through. Kyron's family needs someone who is definitely not running on emotion and adrenaline to help them choose their best options.

I would consider such an advisor remiss if they did not look at the possibility that the case might take months or years to resolve.

And that is the point where natural reactions from the first days of Kyron's disappearance may have changed into a public relations strategy.

if it helped even once - and I dont claim to know that it does or doesnt help- then it would be worth it to always do it.

you dont get if you dont ask, ask and ye shall receive, all that. I'm a shy and private person. I dont know HOW I would manage begging my child's abductor or possible god forbid killer to please have mercy but I've no doubt in my mind I would find a way.

The following may be triggering to survivors of sexual assault.

It is known that there is a type of rapist who actually gets off on pleas for mercy from their victim. There is another type that increases the violence and sadism of their attack if the victim pleads for mercy.

I am not aware of a single case where the family's tearful pleas had any useful effect on an abductor. On the general public and media interest, yes.

How would you choose to balance between the chance that a tearful plea to the abductor might work (even though it never has in the past) and the chance that the abductor is getting some sort of sick jolly out of evidence of the pain the abduction is causing?

I would choose not to plead in public. I believe that other people might well choose to go ahead with a public plea. I don't think either decision is wrong or indicates guilt. Just a different view of the risk/benefit analysis.

"In a brief phone interview with CNN, sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand said the focus of the investigation is not on Terri Horman.

"We're looking for every bit of information that we can," Lindstrand said. "We are not in a position to name anybody a person of interest."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/21/oregon.missing.boy.letter/index.html?hpt=Sbin

This thread is about THIS article. Stay on track please. If the discussion moves away again, we'll assume thoughts about the topic are exhausted and will close the thread. Thank you!

Can you point me to where you read that? I haven't seen that before, and I'm curious to see if there is a link to back up that she did not have her cell phone with her.

I don't think it would be strange at all to walk to the end of one's driveway without a cellphone.....heck, I NEVER take my cellphone with me to walk to the end of my driveway, or when I go out of the front door to check the mail! So I wouldn't find it odd at all that SM didn't have her phone on her, I'm just wondering if it is a verified fact that I can add to my list.

I found the post. There was not a link included. (Which is why I said I didn't know if it was fact or not, just that I had read it.)

I did do a couple of searches to see if I could find a news story with that information in it, but didn't see anything.

I found the post. There was not a link included. (Which is why I said I didn't know if it was fact or not, just that I had read it.)

I did do a couple of searches to see if I could find a news story with that information in it, but didn't see anything.

Thank you Karen. I'm going to chalk it up as a rumor since there was no link in the original post.

You are a sweetie to go back and look for it!

...~snipped~The boy's stepmother, Terri Horman, said she last saw Kyron walking down the hallway towards his classroom at Skyline Elementary School, police said. Cell phone records indicate she may not have been at the school at that time, according to a report in People ~end snip
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/21/oregon.missing.boy.letter/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Above snipped and BBM. Ok now I'm getting more confused than ever. According to this they are stating that TMH cell phone records indicate she may not have been at the school during the time frame that she has given for her and Kyron to be at the science fair... WTH?.. This is what I hate about this mass media coverage that always results in facts and info getting twisted, misconstrued, and just downright adding to or subtracting from the facts of a case!... I was under the impression that if anything were gleaned from cell records it was inconsistent with where TMH had stated she was the rest of that day(up to when she went to bus stop) NOT that it was inconsistent with TMH even being at the school during that 30-45min period that she claimed(along with the fact that this is one of the only things that has been corroborated as fact by ppl such as PTA Zimmerman that TMH and Kyron were inside Skyline Elementary during that time period)... So TIA to anyone who possibly could shed some light on what exactly this means. Am I completely misunderstanding something?(it sure wouldn't be the first time for that)Anyone who has a better understanding of this I would be forever grateful if you would take a second to clue in this "clueless":waitasec:and frustrated:banghead: individual(which of course is me:wave:)???... As I said TIA.

...~snipped~The boy's stepmother, Terri Horman, said she last saw Kyron walking down the hallway towards his classroom at Skyline Elementary School, police said. Cell phone records indicate she may not have been at the school at that time, according to a report in People ~end snip

Above snipped and BBM. Ok now I'm getting more confused than ever. According to this they are stating that TMH cell phone records indicate she may not have been at the school during the time frame that she has given for her and Kyron to be at the science fair... WTH?.. This is what I hate about this mass media coverage that always results in facts and info getting twisted, misconstrued, and just downright adding to or subtracting from the facts of a case!... I was under the impression that if anything were gleaned from cell records it was inconsistent with where TMH had stated she was the rest of that day(up to when she went to bus stop) NOT that it was inconsistent with TMH even being at the school during that 30-45min period that she claimed(along with the fact that this is one of the only things that has been corroborated as fact by ppl such as PTA Zimmerman that TMH and Kyron were inside Skyline Elementary during that time period)... So TIA to anyone who possibly could shed some light on what exactly this means. Am I completely misunderstanding something?(it sure wouldn't be the first time for that)Anyone who has a better understanding of this I would be forever grateful if you would take a second to clue in this "clueless":waitasec:and frustrated:banghead: individual(which of course is me:wave:)???... As I said TIA.

This article tells us that the "information" comes from People Magazine. I did not go back and re-read the article in PM, but as I recall, they just re-printed a lot of stuff they read in the WW blog site. And then they embellished it a little. So that "inconsistencies" cited by WW (and sourced to unidentified persons affiliated with LE but NOT with the case) became "she wasn't at the school, according to cell-phone pings"

Media is becoming more and more about sensationalizing and less and less about informing. When numerous media outlets all quote one article which rests solely upon persons not involved in the case, we've reached a new low in USA.

But, so what? If it doesn't humanize your child to the perpetrator, what good does it do? Unfortunately, in today's world where anyone can get on a computer and post their thoughts about a case, parental public appearances seem to have become more about being fodder for the public to parse and criticize.......fodder for rumors, fodder for gossip, instead of humanizing the child.

As recently as Friday, Gates spoke directly to Kyron. LE has not ruled out recovering a living child, IMO.

Respectfully snipped by me.

The following may be triggering to survivors of sexual assault.

It is known that there is a type of rapist who actually gets off on pleas for mercy from their victim. There is another type that increases the violence and sadism of their attack if the victim pleads for mercy.

I am not aware of a single case where the family's tearful pleas had any useful effect on an abductor. On the general public and media interest, yes.

How would you choose to balance between the chance that a tearful plea to the abductor might work (even though it never has in the past) and the chance that the abductor is getting some sort of sick jolly out of evidence of the pain the abduction is causing?

I would choose not to plead in public. I believe that other people might well choose to go ahead with a public plea. I don't think either decision is wrong or indicates guilt. Just a different view of the risk/benefit analysis.

I know it's from a movie, but sometimes movies get stuff from real life. Anyhow, I remember this part from silence of the lambs where the profiler tells the parents of the missing girl to get out in public and talk about their daughter because when a person is portrayed as human, and their personality and characteristics are made known, it is harder for a perp to treat the victim as an object. There is some corroboration of that sentiment in real life stories of women who had been held hostage or kidnapped and who talked about themselves and to the perp in ways that made it difficult for the perp to hurt them.
Not sure if it is the same with kids but it makes real sense to me and I believe that I would go against LE's advice in this and just get on the air and discuss my kids - how sweet they are, kind things they have done or cute things, how they love fishing with grandpa, etc. I would do it. I maybe would not plead, but I would tell the perp: "I'd like you to know about the child you took. He's a real, live special person. You need to do the right thing and be courageous by letting our little guy go. He is at the beginning of his life and deserves a chance, just like you did when you were small."

Elaborating on the points made by kgeaux:

When I read things like that I trace it back to the source. CNN is using People Magazine as the source. If you read the People article, it says:

“She had initially told police she watched Kyron walk to his classroom on June 4 after the two attended a science fair at Skyline Elementary in Portland, Ore. But law enforcement sources, who are not directly involved with the investigation, tell the local newspaper that Horman's story does not match her cell phone records, which reportedly reveal she may have been on nearby Sauvie Island.”http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20395256,00.html

By reading the People article, you can see they are paraphrasing from a “local newspaper”. The local newspaper that broke that story was Wilmette Weekly (WW). So if you go to WW, it says:

“WW has learned that federal, county and city law-enforcement officials say the reason for the search of Sauvie Island is that cell-phone records reveal Kyron’s step-mother, Terri Moulton Horman, may have been on the island the day he disappeared.
And as searchers comb the island, law-enforcement officials say the investigation is increasingly focusing on the step-mother, because of problems with her account of what she was doing the day Kyron went missing.” http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/06...yron-horman-focuses-on-step-mom-cell-records/

So now that we’re at the original media source, it doesn’t say anything about the cell pings specifically contradicting TH’s presence at the school.

Additionally, WW is using unnamed LE sources not directly involved in the case. So by the time you get to the CNN article, you have at least 5 degrees of separation from an LE involved in the case.

1. LE involved with case knows something and supposedly tells non-involved LE.
2. Non-involved LE repeats info to WW reporter
3. WW reporter paraphrases info from non-involved LE (no direct quotes)
4. People Magazine paraphrases WW article
5. CNN paraphrases People Magazine

The longer this goes on, it would not surprise me at all to see MSM reporting that cell phone pings on Sauvie Island now contradict the existence of Skyline Elementary School.

Elaborating on the points made by kgeaux:

When I read things like that I trace it back to the source. CNN is using People Magazine as the source. If you read the People article, it says:

“She had initially told police she watched Kyron walk to his classroom on June 4 after the two attended a science fair at Skyline Elementary in Portland, Ore. But law enforcement sources, who are not directly involved with the investigation, tell the local newspaper that Horman's story does not match her cell phone records, which reportedly reveal she may have been on nearby Sauvie Island.”http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20395256,00.html

By reading the People article, you can see they are paraphrasing from a “local newspaper”. The local newspaper that broke that story was Wilmette Weekly (WW). So if you go to WW, it says:

“WW has learned that federal, county and city law-enforcement officials say the reason for the search of Sauvie Island is that cell-phone records reveal Kyron’s step-mother, Terri Moulton Horman, may have been on the island the day he disappeared.
And as searchers comb the island, law-enforcement officials say the investigation is increasingly focusing on the step-mother, because of problems with her account of what she was doing the day Kyron went missing.” http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/06...yron-horman-focuses-on-step-mom-cell-records/

So now that we’re at the original media source, it doesn’t say anything about the cell pings specifically contradicting TH’s presence at the school.

Additionally, WW is using unnamed LE sources not directly involved in the case. So by the time you get to the CNN article, you have at least 5 degrees of separation from an LE involved in the case.

1. LE involved with case knows something and supposedly tells non-involved LE.
2. Non-involved LE repeats info to WW reporter
3. WW reporter paraphrases info from non-involved LE (no direct quotes)
4. People Magazine paraphrases WW article
5. CNN paraphrases People Magazine

The longer this goes on, it would not surprise me at all to see MSM reporting that cell phone pings on Sauvie Island now contradict the existence of Skyline Elementary School.

Thank you for spelling it out so clearly. It really burns me up that CNN even considered printing the story, and I burst into flames when I realize that they did actually put it into print......it is so irresponsible to me.

My oh my... what a confusing case. I have a gut feeling that something is going to happen tomorrow. Don't know why, just have that feeling. I hope my gut is right (I did feed it some mighty good viddles at lunch today).

I don't speculate too much on WS but I'll give it a try.

Say you've decided to 'get rid' of a child. You start planning how and when you are going to do it. In the middle of your planning, your child starts working on a project for school. Suddenly, that project lines up with the day of your plan. Why NOT take your child to school that day for a last "hoorah"?

Makes me sick how practical it would be. Maybe this is why I don't speculate.

Makes no sense to me at all. Why would you take a kid you planned to do away with to school, on a day when many parents are coming and going, in order to pretend you left him there? You would have to arrive, walk around and then leave with the child. The leaving with the child as a plan seems ridiculous to me. You see tons of people and tons see you when you drop your kid off or leave with a kid. "Oh, hi Betty! Johnny's not staying at school today?" As you walk towards to car or buckle the kid in, whatever. Just way too many chances that you would be seen and possibly talked to for such a plan to make any sense at all.

Most all driver's licenses have the capability of being scanned. Look at the back and there is a barcode.

Fortunately LE has not had to scan mine, but have seen it done at Target and Wal-Mart when writing a check.

When you're pulled over in traffic all the LEO has to do is scan your ID and they don't have to type anything into their computer...it all just automatically shows up.

I'm guessing the poster who posted about their school having this technique available is something similar to what LE uses.

Well, CARP! My dl DOES have a black bar across the back, just like my credit card. I never noticed!

My oh my... what a confusing case. I have a gut feeling that something is going to happen tomorrow. Don't know why, just have that feeling. I hope my gut is right (I did feed it some mighty good viddles at lunch today).

Hi Cheewawa - I've had the same feeling! Sitting here in Chicago with tornado warnings all around me and can't help but ask: what are viddles? moo lol

Hi Cheewawa - I've had the same feeling! Sitting here in Chicago with tornado warnings all around me and can't help but ask: what are viddles? moo lol

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed....

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=vittles"]vittles - Google Search[/ame]

I thought I had read in the local paper that a classmate said he saw Kyron at the school...they divided into groups to go from classroom to classroom to view the exhibits, Kyron left his friend and said he was going to look at another exhibit, and friend did not see him for the rest of the day. I think LE had to rule out TH because she was the last person to see him, and now that they have the investigation is moving forward.

I don't understand why the quote from LE is being questioned. Just because he said that Terri isn't being focused on doesn't mean that she doesn't have any focus. They're not going to tell media who they're focusing on while still questioning everyone and investigating.

He said because KYRON is the focus of this investigation .... all others the LE might be interested in are a focus but not THE focus, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust