2010.06.28 - Kyron's Dad files for divorce and restraining order

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me wonder if he is only her criminal defense attorney, and isn't handling the RO and divorce.

I was thinking they're probably seperate matters. all 3 perhaps. the missing child, the RO & the divorce.

It is a convoluted case in my opinion.

I was thinking they're probably seperate matters. all 3 perhaps. the missing child, the RO & the divorce.

It is a convoluted case in my opinion.

Agreed. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Anthony saga.

If I was guilt-free and some guys came in and started demanding me money and talking about plans to kill my husband, I'd be pretty scared because they obviously can't be good people with good intentions. Not sure that I'd feel like chatting.

Then why aren't the cops saying she went to them immediately with this information?

I believe if she had done the expected and hit 911 soon as she could get to her phone out of the 2 would-be killer's earshot the cops and the news would have said so long ago.

How long did the now-missing little boy have to live with her?

If they wanted to get her to admit on tape that she tried to hire the landscaper to off her husband, then why didn't they just put a wire on him? The UC showing up with him probably set her hinky meter running, so she called the cops after he demanded the money. I would do the same thing.

I'm still not sure that this guy is not just trying to frame her. They only have his word against hers. If they had real proof of this MFH, they would have arrested her then and there. Guess they didn't have probable cause.

It is interesting that on the divorce petition and the restraining order petition, there is no attorney named. Where the attorney name should be is Terri Horman, as defendent and attorney.

Sorry if I sound dumb lol, but maybe I missed something. Has the RO been released already? I thought that wasn't happening until tomorrow!! ClueMeIn....can you please clue ME in? ;) Thanks!! :waitasec:

If they wanted to get her to admit on tape that she tried to hire the landscaper to off her husband, then why didn't they just put a wire on him? The UC showing up with him probably set her hinky meter running, so she called the cops after he demanded the money. I would do the same thing.

I'm still not sure that this guy is not just trying to frame her. They only have his word against hers. If they had real proof of this MFH, they would have arrested her then and there. Guess they didn't have probable cause.
Not necessarily. Legal cases aren't black and white. Just because someone isn't arrested does not mean LE has no real proof, it merely means that whoever is in charge of deciding to arrest/go to trial has not made the decision to arrest/go to trial...LE could have a fairly good case against TH, but, naturally, wants the strongest case possible...and a confession is as strong as it gets. LE could have a lot of information that backs up the LS's claim (text and phone call records, email, LS could know personal information about the Horman finances, LS passed a LDT, LS has witnesses he talked to back in December about TH's request, other people may have come forward willing to testify that TH openly talked about having Kaine killed but they nervously thought she was 'joking', they could have other people she approached to in the MFH plot). LE simply may have wanted TH's confession on tape as a means of having an iron-clad case. Just because the sting failed does not mean the case is over. Likewise, just because they attempted the sting, it does not mean that LE has nothing but the LS's word. For goodness sake, look at Scott Peterson...did LE have no evidence that he was responsible for Laci and their child's death just because it took months for the arrest?

It could very well be that LE has a very thin case in the MFH plot. Their attempt at the sting is in no way proof of exactly what other evidence they have, IMO.

We can quibble about the definition of words, but knowing exactly what botched means, it's my personal opinion that LE botched the sting. Terri allegedly talked to lawn guy many, many months ago, and then in the middle of a missing person's investigation that Terri had, by that point, probably suspected was focused on her, lawn guy shows up with some random guy and starts hounding her for $10,000. She didn't take the bait and called the cops on them.

It is my personal opinion that if LE had irrefutable evidence Terri was involved in Kyron's disappearance, she would've been arrested and Kaine would've left her and taken baby K sooner. LE openly states they have NO evidence a murder has taken place, which means they have no evidence Terri was involved in Kyron's murder. The questionnaire and DY's repeated pleas for Terri to cooperate tell me that LE has little in the way of proof against Terri. IMHO, they still don't know how Kyron was taken from the school and they certainly don't know where.

Perfectly stated. I so agree, LE doesn't have enough in either case to hang a hat on. She would have to be some sort of an idiot to fall for the attempted sting. Do they think she is so simple she wouldn't catch on?

I think I'm firmly back on the fence until I see something concrete.

Seems to me that making the RO public has everything to do with Terri's outstanding crim defense attorney. This guy is known for his PR skills and has been very quiet...could he be busy behind the scenes? moo

I think it's just because there's a motion pending to unseal it with a hearing that a lot of people would have to prepare and appear for. And there's not reason to go forward with all that since the LS dude info is public knowledge now anyway. There may be a few other details in there, but you really wouldn't need anything else -- to say the least.

They should have sent him with a wire on and had him tell her that if he told the police about her soliciting him it would certainly look bad for her seeing as how her step son was currently missing, and demand money. Then see what she said to that. ....On second thought, perhaps that what they did and she didn't fall for it and called 911 to report someone threatening her.

I think LE made a mistake in the approach to TH. I would have had the LS go to her and ask her for direction. Put the power in her hands. Something like: "I have been approached by the cops and I put them off because I wanted to talk to you about how I should handle that." Get her to admit the murder for hire plot in the process. LS being wired at the time. I think the UC was a red flag and extorting in front of a stranger is what told her to cut it off. Just my opinion and I'm not saying anything bad about LE. I think it was a gamble from the beginning.

--- snipped ---
Terri allegedly talked to lawn guy many, many months ago, and then in the middle of a missing person's investigation that Terri had, by that point, probably suspected was focused on her, lawn guy shows up with some random guy and starts hounding her for $10,000. She didn't take the bait and called the cops on them.
--- snipped ---

It would be interesting to know when Terri and the landscaper had their last conversation or communication prior to Kyron's disappearance and the sting. We have the following...

>>A landscaper who said Kyron Horman's stepmother offered to pay him to kill her husband about six or seven months ago<<

Do we have anything which has indicated that these two have not been in regular communication since the "offer" or that they broke off communication immediately after the offer? I'm wondering if I missed a news article?

EDITED: Perhaps the RO mentions when these two last communicated.

I thought they DID have him wired?

Theory - perhaps he is involved and LE is trying to get him in their good graces (I think that is the expression) by having him be on "their side".

If you're referring to the one Kaine and his atty filed that's normal. At the time Terri wasn't yet represented by counsel. If she had been that atty would have been listed. Typically you'll see "pro se" next to the respondent's (or petitioner) name if they don't have counsel yet.

They usually update it, once an attorney is obtained. Although she may need to notify the court first.

I believe it is because he isn't taking the divorce or restraining order cases. Those are civil matters.

Terri could have asked for a hearing within 5 days. She didn't have to wait to see her daughter. There has to be a reason for that.

You can bet if someone took my child, legitimate reasons or not, I would be raising heck!

If you're referring to the one Kaine and his atty filed that's normal. At the time Terri wasn't yet represented by counsel. If she had been that atty would have been listed. Typically you'll see "pro se" next to the respondent's (or petitioner) name if they don't have counsel yet.

They usually update it, once an attorney is obtained. Although she may need to notify the court first.

I believe it is because he isn't taking the divorce or restraining order cases. Those are civil matters.

Terri could have asked for a hearing within 5 days. She didn't have to wait to see her daughter. There has to be a reason for that.

Good point--we haven't heard any objections from TH over the daughter being taken from her.

A lot of discussion has occurred about the UC showing up on TH's doorstep with the wired LS during the sting. There has been the question of why didn't the LS just go by himself.

Here's why, IMO:

Even though the LS was wired, and the conversation was taped, the UC (as an official witness) needed to be present in order to positively ID TH as the one making any statements.

Without the UC present to officially witness any possible incriminating statements, regardless of whether or not the statements were recorded, there would still be no concrete proof that it was indeed TH on the tape, even if she flat-out said "Hi, lawn boy, long time no see. I'm Terri Horman, aka RDSQRL, and there's no way in Hades I'm giving you $10,000 because we shook hands on $5,000, but then I changed my mind, because that SOB isn't worth that much, and anyways - you said you wouldn't do it yada yada yada... so take a hike..."

If it wasn't witnessed by an LE officer, it may not hold up in court, since anyone could pose as TH & say anything on tape. Hence, the necessary presence of the UC - to verify that it was indeed her.

I know they do it different in the movies & in TV shows, where the guy wears a wire & the suspect talks & it gets recorded, and the suspect gets convicted on the basis of a recorded conversation. But that's not how it's done in reality.

If I am guilty of trying to hire a HM, the last thing on earth I would want to do is call 911 and bring that man to the attention of the police.

I would only call 911 if I was completely innocent.

But then again, I'm sure that there had to be enough evidence for them to get the ok to do the sting.

This is the most confusing and confounding case I have followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebel23