2010.06.29 -- LE says TH not POI nor suspect

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree OBE. So far, no one can confirm with certainity what was said other then to provide the examples of the conflicting reporting.

Within this thread you will find that particular horse beaten to death.

Some argue that where the words are in quotation marks - only these are Lidstrand's words. Any reporting without words in quotation marks is to be disregarded as misinformation invented by the newswriter.

Apparently, the bar for accurate news reporting on this is so low, that we are left to just pick the version we like, and argue about it.

It's JMHO that we have two completely different versions of the same statement from Lindstrand, and therefore, we don't know what was said.

Others opine that they do know, they've known all along, it's plain as day, and those of us that question the disparity in reporting on LE statements are barking up the tree of naiivete.

Enjoy the thread! :crazy:

Respectfully BBM. I wonder what the response would be if there was a quote without the quotation marks that TH is a POI?

this is writing 101.. if you quote someone you quote it in quotation marks and paraphrasing is outside those marks.

If someone screwed up in their article it will come to light but the mechanics of what is a quote and what is not a quote rests on those reporters... I personally have emailed for clarification to cbs. (ie, did you quote the officer or paraphrase the answer)

Respectfully BBM. I wonder what the response would be if there was a quote without the quotation marks that TH is a POI?

What response are you talking about?

this is writing 101.. if you quote someone you quote it in quotation marks and paraphrasing is outside those marks.

If someone screwed up in their article it will come to light but the mechanics of what is a quote and what is not a quote rests on those reporters... I personally have emailed for clarification to cbs. (ie, did you quote the officer or paraphrase the answer)

CBS wasn't the original reporting outlet. It was a local Portland/Oregon station - I believe either KGW or KPTV.

Thanks, Nurse! I look forward to hearing their response (if they respond).

I just can't see how paraphrasing we do not have a POI could equate to TH is not a POI. Maybe it's just another instance of the telephone game, which has been way too frequent in this case?

:blowkiss:

CBS wasn't the original reporting outlet. It was a local Portland/Oregon station - I believe either KGW or KPTV.
I emailed cbs... we shall see if they respond.

Either way... it IS still writing 101.. whether you steal another station or sister station's piece, etc. if I were the editor at any news location I would double and triple check all of my source quotations etc.

Why do I keep envisioning the original reporter reading this thread and cackling wildly to himself? :)
he or she should actually be wetting their pants. in fear.. once his or her boss gets all of the editorial questions and complaints

moo

Well, whichever is correct, it seems the one not in quotes...ie that Terri is not a POI, is making the internet rounds, but of course it is not being given any credibility anyway. So even if LE did say that, not sure it would change too many minds.

I emailed cbs... we shall see if they respond.

Either way... it IS still writing 101.. whether you steal another station or sister station's piece, etc. if I were the editor at any news location I would double and triple check all of my source quotations etc.

Oh I'm a nut for direct quotes, particularly from LE. Check out Gabe's forum. I've taken some flack for it. I get a lot of "what are you saying? the reporter is lying?" lol.

There is a HUGE DIFFRENCE between Terri is not a POI or suspect and No POI or suspect has been named.

I am inclined to beleive the quote that states no POI or suspect has been named because that has been stated before and the Terri is not a POI or suspect SOUNDS like BS

We have a new quote to throw into the mix!

Kyron Horman stepmother increasingly focus of law enforcement
Published: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 7:55 PM
Updated: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 8:17 PM

"The investigation is not in position yet to even list a suspect or persons of interest," sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand reiterated Tuesday.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_stepmother.html

"The investigation is not in position yet to even list a suspect or persons of interest," sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand reiterated Tuesday.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_stepmother.html

:banghead::banghead:
more ambiguity. This is getting to be more and more heartbreaking.

Thank you for finding & posting that; at least that is clear statement & has quotes. (Although I may not like it lol).

I am starting to feel like they are just playing a whole lot of head games with her and its really starting to bug me....I'm not sure why....I guess they need her to 'come to jesus' and all the interviews and lie detector tests aren't working.

Has there been any note of how the lie detector test went (the 2nd one). Was the first one inconclusive? Just trying to get caught here! Thanks~

I completely agree with you about the mechanics of quotation and the care that should be taken when directly quoting a source. But I also think the issue at hand is not so much a Writing 101 issue as it's a Journalism 101 issue.

The article in question is the AP wire. It's a news service. Hard news. Get the facts. Who, what, where, when, why, how. Report the facts. No room for opinion. No room for making stuff up.

There is the rightful expectation that the facts presented in the AP article be accurate, particularly when the information is presented as stated fact from the mouth of Lindstram by the writer.

The AP article says:

She <Lindstram> said Terri Horman is neither a person of interest nor a suspect.

That Lindstram said this is is reported in the AP article as fact. It is not reported as opinion, interpretation, or paraphrasing. It is reported as a straightforward fact: "she said this ...". If it's wrong, they need to retract and fix it. And send their apology around the world.

No one should expect to read any AP news article and say to themselves that the parts of the report that are not in quotes are very likely not facts so should be taken as pure fiction.

Thank you for writing CBS. I'm going to do the same. Two complaints are better than one. :)

It's terribly discouraging to see this level of carelessness, assuming that's what it is.

Oh I'm a nut for direct quotes, particularly from LE. Check out Gabe's forum. I've taken some flack for it. I get a lot of "what are you saying? the reporter is lying?" lol.

I totally understand BeanE. It's crazy that now-a-days a reader should have to go to such lengths to fact check what is supposed to be a factual article. Reporters should not lie or misinterpret or misquote or twist or take things out of context or or or or...

When they have done that, whether intentionally, through agenda, or through error or carelessness, and as a result they have essentially bastardized a material fact, they should be called out on it. Because then they're not reporting anymore. They are opinionating. They are propogating falsehoods and wasting our time.
Shame on them.

And yes, I know, this is me:
:eek:ther_beatingA_Dead:eek:ther_beatingA_Dead:
And that's a fact. :biggrin:

lololol

thanks for that BeanE.

I actually don't have any complaints about this one. :angel:

(yet):dance:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members