2010.07.01 - The Oregonian and Willamette Week not invited to the presser

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems stupid and counterproductive, anyway. If a couple of news outlets are writing articles about your family that you don't like, they're not going to stop and start to flatter you instead if you start acting all adversarial, booting them out of your pressers, publicly humiliating them etcetera.

We heard that TH was going to come out and speak. And then she didn't. So could this press conference today maybe be a way of getting her on record saying something. I am of the opinion now that maybe LE asked the family to make these very specific statements. I'm not sure this was so much the family, but rather a police tactic to get TH to react? Just a thought.... I mean the pointed statement asking her to cooperate. That tells me they are turning up the heat. LE that is.

Maybe if she has a temper they are trying to get her in a tough spot to see if she slips up. This did look orchestrated. But I'm thinking maybe not by the family. MOO

I agree.

Just want to remind you guys that this family is missing a little boy.

I cannot even comprehend some of the comments on this thread.

where this post lands is entirely random.

The picture taken on June 4th shows him with his permanent front teeth. I don't think it makes sense to say you miss your child's toothless grin when they have their permanent teeth. It's irrelevant if Kaine likes remembering Kyron as a 6 year old with missing teeth because I think you'd be referencing the child you had 1 month ago, not the child you had 1, 2 or however many years ago, when saying what you currently miss about them.

JMO.

My kids are all grown but I have a picture of each of them in my mind at a certain point in their childhood that is frozen. When I see my strapping 6 foot 28 year old son it shocks me because I keep picturing him as this little guy, 5 or 6 years old. It's like that will all my kids. They live in my mind at a certain age in spite of the fact that I know they are adults. I think Kaine just has a mental image of Kyron at a certain point and it's stuck in his mind.

It seems stupid and counterproductive, anyway. If a couple of news outlets are writing articles about your family that you don't like, they're not going to stop and start to flatter you instead if you start acting all adversarial, booting them out of your pressers, publicly humiliating them etcetera.

Exactly! And who care how the "team" looks? all he did w/ this action was tell me that there is something more to the whole dysfunctional family unit thing. The thing is, is that we are all dysfunctional but we dont have a missing child, so why take attention away from the real problem, which is a that a child has vanished and they want "our" help in locating him. But now we also get to ponder further as to what the "team" does'nt want reported.
After awhile the media will turn to another story. The "team" should be happy the media is reporting anything about them. Every time something is said about any of them, Kyrons picture is right there next to the article. jmo.
I do think it was orchestrated to upset TH. The men standing behind DY. The statement about Kyron being alive, the remark about the birthmark and allergy. All designed to tell TH that they know she loves kyron and could'nt hurt him. IMO.

Which media outlet reported first on Kaine's brother being arrested?

Which media outlet dug into the background of the family first?

Which media outlet has been doing the most investigative reporting?

Which media outlet was kicked out and now not part of the team?

----------------

I will not be snarky.. but answer all of those questions and that is why I believe they have been excluded.

And I do not think it was a good move on their part. This outlet will continue their reporting and digging.

moo

and I also echo the post of SuziQ made early in this thread: (to paraphrase) that there are many families of missing children who beg for any and all coverage of their missing child.

-----------

WW has already indicated they will continue to cover the story and since they reported all of the info from the parts after they were kicked out, they obviously have friends in the parts of the media acceptable by the family. They will get that info, plus have the added inspiration of digging out more.

I've been reading the Oregonian for about 2 years now. Is it just me, or has it become more and more sensationalist journalism? Maybe it always was...or maybe I'm wrong?

It may have been somewhat reactionary with Kaine vs. the press today.

Kaine has struck me as a logical/process guy with a list. Today he pushed process aside to take control and set some ground rules about his interest in working as team with the press. It was a reactionary attitude - he was reacting to news coverage he considered off-limits - and he was reacting from stress, frustration, anger, fear, protective instinct.

And, I'm not sure he meant "Team" so much as quid pro quo. Which, I suppose, might be a reasonable expectation when you and the press are married to each other for a long time...

WW made an interesting choice itself today - to run off and complain and whine about being kicked out in thier news blog. WW decided to break the family's request for trust because the family called out the WW on tactics (such as in-your-face-on-your-doorstep-unannounced-interviews) and make the story about the WW vs. the Horman family. Is that reporting? Or is that bitterness?

The Oregonian did not make the choice to run off and whine. The Oregonian figured out how to work with the family.

The WW bogarted Kyron's story today and tanked the family's message about Kyron. The WW put the spotlight instead on the parents' ground rules for cooperation and request for less media intrusiveness. The WW dredged up family history, that clearly, Kaine and Desiree have long since pushed past. What's next? An expose on Desiree?

Maybe it's okay that Kaine has the cajones to tell the WW to back off. (Of course, I'm okay if the WW investigates and reports what it will - so long as they stick to the facts. But the headline - "Troubled Family" - that was salacious - not factual.)

And maybe it's a little silly for the WW to use agressive tactics and salacious headlines on the Horman family, then whine and complain when the Hormans called them out it in a presser. The WW should have some journalistic integrity when called on tactics - it should be fully prepared to support it's investigative reporting as relevant.

Maybe the WW is aggressive and prides itself on going where no other papers go. Like right up on Terri's stoop, univited. So be it. If that's the case, they must be used to getting booted from pressers.

Just yesterday, the AP wires announced to the world that LE said Terri Horman was not a suspect nor a POI. Other reports said the opposite.

Is that journalism? Maybe Kaine should be pissed off. Why not hold news folks on his son's story to a higher bar of relevance and accuracy?

I'm not really sure what exactly the parents did wrong other than to handle the press awkwardly by expressing clearly their preferences. Not sure what all the uproar is. The Horman family are private citizens and can make requests of the press, and can choose who they are willing to speak to. But they can't control the press. I think they know that. I also think they are not LE. They don't have any obligation to let everyone into their pressers. LE does.

The family realizes it benefits Kyron's case to invite as many press representatives as possible in. And I think they're trying to do that. So long as they believe that press is really interested in supporting Kyron and his family. As opposed to ripping them further apart - for no reason - during this horrific nightmare they are enduring.

The press the family chooses work with can take the Horman info or leave it. They can cover the story cooperatively or combatively. The press' freedom to do so is protected either way.

So really, what's the big deal if Kaine expresses his family's wishes, and decides who they do and do not want to give exclusives to?

Anyway, just some reflection after all the media hub-bub today and - all JMHO, as usual.

[bbm]

great post!

I think if they feel some media outlets are more focused on salacious details than Kyron, then they have every right to call those reporters out. Perhaps a public flogging is necessary from their perspective, especially if they have experienced a more personal lack of respect that we haven't heard about because naturally the offending party would not report their own unethical behaviour. JMO.

I don't really see the point of yesterday's "meeting". There was nothing new released about Kyron, except for a bee allergy (telling about that waaay to late...) and a birthmark that cannot be seen unless he is upset.

I agree with the WW for not going back in there and kissing up. That is not the media's place to kiss up to people. It is the media's place to get the story. If the media gets controlled by a generic family then what does that tell you about the people with power and influence? I firmly believe in freedom of the press.

Most corporations have the "team mentality". "Team" in that connotation is just the group of people that you work with. In the case of the "meeting" these people are not on his "team" nor would he see them as that.

I wish today had really been about finding Kyron, or at least finding out what happened to him, but I don't think it has been.

[bbm]

agree that the bee allergy info has come out late but the birthmark info is important b/c if Jyron has been abducted, he will likely be upset and it will be visible much of the time IMO

[bbm]

great post!

I think if they feel some media outlets are more focused on salacious details than Kyron, then they have every right to call those reporters out. Perhaps a public flogging is necessary from their perspective, especially if they have experienced a more personal lack of respect that we haven't heard about because naturally the offending party would not report their own unethical behaviour. JMO.

Seems hypocritical to me, sorry. When you request the entire state of Oregon, if not the country, to look for your 'live' son, followed by eliminating the two media with the largest following - you have to ask: Whom is that punishment really hurting? moo mho

They composed the statement after meeting with more than a dozen journalists in a session where they barred reporters from The Oregonian and Willamette Week, saying the newspapers had focused too little on the search for Kyron and too much on the family's personal history.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_hormans_family_ask_for_s.html

So many things to say........
that pretty much says it all doesn't it.

That being said, I hope the family is receiving guidance from families of other missing children... of course I won't be able to find it right this second.. but in the 20 minute raw interview when asked if they had been contacted by such families they said they had but didn't really say they were working with them. I think it could be very helpful to them at this time if they are not receiving such guidance.

Seems hypocritical to me, sorry. When you request the entire state of Oregon, if not the country, to look for your 'live' son, followed by eliminating the two media with the largest following - you have to ask: Whom is that punishment really hurting? moo mho

I can see your point of view too. I can see both sides right now.

So really, what's the big deal if Kaine expresses his family's wishes, and decides who they do and do not want to give exclusives to?

Nothing wrong with giving exclusives. Although usually exclusive means you favor one outlet over all others, not the reverse. While I do suspect Kaine is just attempting to exert more control over the situation (whether that's the right thing to do or not, I can't say at this time), what I find most interesting is that we wouldn't even know what had happened if WW hadn't told us because except for a single sentence, the Oregonian didn't explain. (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_hormans_family_ask_for_s.html).

KATU only mentions that Kyron had ground rules. (http://www.katu.com/news/local/97614744.html)

KPTV makes no reference to it. (http://www.kptv.com/news/24113025/detail.html)

KOIN has nothing. (http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Stepmom-of-Kyron-sends-message-with-hiring/Dz4uMChK60KCWjy3W5FG4Q.cspx)

:clap: :woohoo: :blowkiss:

The thank you button is not enough.

WW's shock at being left off the "team" should have come as no surprise to them after the style of reporting they have elected to use in regards to this case for weeks now. Further, for them to have made today's article about WW vs. the Hormans rather than about Kyron just tells me the Horman's have probably made the right decision in excluding them.

For my news I will stick to major network news and my gossip via "unnamed sources" and third and fourth party hearsay will continue to come from WW.

Nothing wrong with giving exclusives. Although usually exclusive means you favor one outlet over all others, not the reverse. While I do suspect Kaine is just attempting to exert more control over the situation (whether that's the right thing to do or not, I can't say at this time), what I find most interesting is that we wouldn't even know what had happened if WW hadn't told us because except for a single sentence, the Oregonian didn't explain. (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_hormans_family_ask_for_s.html).

KATU only mentions that Kyron had ground rules. (http://www.katu.com/news/local/97614744.html)

KPTV makes no reference to it. (http://www.kptv.com/news/24113025/detail.html)

KOIN has nothing. (http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Stepmom-of-Kyron-sends-message-with-hiring/Dz4uMChK60KCWjy3W5FG4Q.cspx)

font color orange by me

You are absolutely correct. But I kinda think that was the point. The closed door meeting was closed door for just that reason. They did not feel it was our place to be in that loop. Once again, the snoop in me was at war with the compassion in me but I feel kinda complicit and slimy now that WW has in their bitterness about being excluded taken me inside that meeting that was never meant for me in the first place.

:clap: :woohoo: :blowkiss:

The thank you button is not enough.

WW's shock at being left off the "team" should have come as no surprise to them after the style of reporting they have elected to use in regards to this case for weeks now. Further, for them to have made today's article about WW vs. the Hormans rather than about Kyron just tells me the Horman's have probably made the right decision in excluding them.

For my news I will stick to major network news and my gossip via "unnamed sources" and third and fourth party hearsay will continue to come from WW.

ALL newspapers and news outlets use unnamed sources. ALL of them do.

Also, the Oregonian was kicked out, too. While WW is a little less formal (think, no suits and ties) than the Oregonian, they are not a gossip rag. People magazine writes gossip and fluff, but they were there. Bottom line is, they were kicked out because the family didn't like their articles, not because the articles didn't meet journalistic standards.

The picture taken on June 4th shows him with his permanent front teeth. I don't think it makes sense to say you miss your child's toothless grin when they have their permanent teeth. It's irrelevant if Kaine likes remembering Kyron as a 6 year old with missing teeth because I think you'd be referencing the child you had 1 month ago, not the child you had 1, 2 or however many years ago, when saying what you currently miss about them.

JMO.

I do not believe toothless was the correct quote. I believe Kaine actually said "toothy smile" which makes a lot more sense.

I just read about this in an earlier thread this morning. I will look for a source.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5358873&postcount=27"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - The Strawberry birthmark and other things about Kyron[/ame]

I do not believe toothless was the correct quote. I believe Kaine actually said "toothy smile" which makes a lot more sense.

I just read about this in an earlier thread this morning. I will look for a source.

I wondered that too, because Kyron has a LOT of teeth. Also, a lot of the photos of Kyron on news websites refer to his "toothy smile."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead