2010.07.01 - The Oregonian and Willamette Week not invited to the presser

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you just want certain people to report what you have to say it would make sense to phone them and do an exclusive interview instead of a presser.

I think these are all good reasons why the family may be angry at someone. I want to add a few to the list from my extensive reading of the local papers the last couple of weeks:

1. One of the news outlets "outed" TH as a contributor to its comments sections. Maybe these two papers refuse to give this information to police w/o a court order, and KH knows it.

2. Several of the commenters have said there was a report that Kyron's body was found that appeared online and was then taken down. Maybe one or both of these papers went ahead and published these stories against permission of police.

3. Maybe, and this is VERY likely, these two papers are leading the charge to get the contents of the restraining order released, which KH believes will harm the investigation.

4. Some news outlets have been quicker than others to remove insulting posts--maybe this was an issue with the Oregonian and the WW.
your additions: I agree that may be why the family chose to exclude an outlet.

but I do not agree with their actions....

If they want to get the face of their son out there they will do well to choke down what dirty family laundry airs.

We just don't know at this point but some of it may be a key to what happened.

I thank God for media outlets that go above and beyond regurgitation of facts presented by "big brother". There are few that do this..

I only need look to Jennifer Wadsworth who recently was a direct aide to finding the killer of Sandra Cantu.

If we silence the media we do all of our selves harm imhoo.

moo, jmoo, and all that.

bbm, just the fact that it's titled a press conference makes it a matter for the the working established press. Also that the subject delt with is a police matter currently under investingation does make it a freedom of the press issue.

Why organize or call for a "press conference" if it is only for a selected group only?
Private property or private citizens or not, the press has a right to the information presented under what is labeled news or information about this boy's disappearance.
Regardless of whether a particular media outlet is physically admitted into the event or not, they do have the right to report on the information brought forward at the event.

jmo

IIRC, it wasn't called a press conference. They actually called it something else specifically, like a private meeting with the press, or something like that.

I haven't decided exactly where I fall on how KH handled the press, but I remember the distinction being drawn that it was NOT a press conference per se.

Until the press maneuver yesterday - with Kaine thinking that he can call the shots - I had given Kyron's dad the benefit of the doubt in having anything to do with his son's disappearance. Now, I'm not so sure.

As much as I don't want to think it, Kaine seems like a real control freak and wants things to be done his way and on his terms. He is intelligent, but seems overly deliberate in demeanor and speech. Kaine is very controlled in the interviews from last week (June 25), shows very little raw emotion, and measures his words carefully so as not to say anything that might be misconstrued or subject to future analysis or criticism. He is extremely disciplined and clearly wants to be in charge. I'm beginning to wonder what life was like for Kyron in a household where dad seems to expect a lot from himself and might have expected the same degree perfection from his son. jmo

You know... I don't think that Kaine has been following the National coverage of this case very well. If he had he would have likely realized this....

June 4 - June 27
- National coverage very minimal. A few minutes here and there on Nancy at the end of her show, a few more on Jane and HLN. If anything on CNN, MSNBC or FOX, it was also very minimal. At the most, a half an hour a day of national coverage. More on some days because of Jane. I never saw a SINGLE article about Kyron on my local news websites. Not even one.

When Kaine and Desiree did their interviews those were all over the place of course. That was the one exception, though I still did not see that on my news websites.

June 28 - Larry King covered Kyron on CNN for about 15 minutes - Jane and HLN covered him and Nancy covered him for an entire 10 minutes. My local news site suddenly had an article about him.

June 29 - Jane spent 30 minutes on Kyron and Nancy spent 35 minutes covering him, another 10 minutes came from HLN. My local news site had an article about him.

June 30 - Jane and Nancy both spent about 30 minutes of their show on Kyron. In addition to HLN's coverage. My local news site had an article about him.

July 1 - Jane, HLN covered him again and Nancy spent her entire show on Kyron. My local news site had an article about him.

Kyron more than doubled in the national media attention this week. I'm pretty sure that would not have happened without the "drama" of the divorce, restraining order and local media reporting on them.

Like it or not, his face has reached hundreds of thousands more people than last week... as a direct result of the "drama" in his family. The WW reporter is the one going on Nancy Grace (like her or not, she IS getting his face out there.)

I am only 12 hours away from Skyline Elementary, if he was abducted they could have been halfway here before he was reported missing.

If I only followed my local media, I would not have heard about Kyron until Monday June 28. Aside from those on this board, in the pacific north west and in my family, I have not talked to anyone who knew who "Kyron" was...before this week.

Perhaps that's what Kaine needs to do. To sit down and really analyze the media attention. Break it down by the day and what was going on that day. Once he looks at the "data" he may re-think his position....

You know... I don't think that Kaine has been following the National coverage of this case very well. If he had he would have likely realized this....

June 4 - June 27
- National coverage very minimal. A few minutes here and there on Nancy at the end of her show, a few more on Jane and HLN. If anything on CNN, MSNBC or FOX, it was also very minimal. At the most, a half an hour a day of national coverage. More on some days because of Jane. I never saw a SINGLE article about Kyron on my local news websites. Not even one.

When Kaine and Desiree did their interviews those were all over the place of course. That was the one exception, though I still did not see that on my news websites.

June 28 - Larry King covered Kyron on CNN for about 15 minutes - Jane and HLN covered him and Nancy covered him for an entire 10 minutes. My local news site suddenly had an article about him.

June 29 - Jane spent 30 minutes on Kyron and Nancy spent 35 minutes covering him, another 10 minutes came from HLN. My local news site had an article about him.

June 30 - Jane and Nancy both spent about 30 minutes of their show on Kyron. In addition to HLN's coverage. My local news site had an article about him.

July 1 - Jane, HLN covered him again and Nancy spent her entire show on Kyron. My local news site had an article about him.

Kyron more than doubled in the national media attention this week. I'm pretty sure that would not have happened without the "drama" of the divorce, restraining order and local media reporting on them.

Like it or not, his face has reached hundreds of thousands more people than last week... as a direct result of the "drama" in his family. The WW reporter is the one going on Nancy Grace (like her or not, she IS getting his face out there.)

I am only 12 hours away from Skyline Elementary, if he was abducted they could have been halfway here before he was reported missing.

If I only followed my local media, I would not have heard about Kyron until Monday June 28. Aside from those on this board, in the pacific north west and in my family, I have not talked to anyone who knew who "Kyron" was...before this week.

Perhaps that's what Kaine needs to do. To sit down and really analyze the media attention. Break it down by the day and what was going on that day. Once he looks at the "data" he may re-think his position....

I agree MsFacetious and thanks for that detailed rundown. I posted that I'm in NYC and only heard about this case because I tuned in to Nancy Grace to see if there were any updates on Joran van der Sloot since even that is fading from the regular news cycle. And I was alarmed by this adorable little boy being missing.

But then when I got more details here about the case yesterday from you great Websleuthers, my alarm quickly turned to concern over Kyron's father's attitude toward the media.

And I probably have to get back to my own life, now, but I just have to say that I truly wish Kyron had a fierce parental advocate like Natalee Holloway's mom who fought tooth and nail to keep her missing child's name in the press and just ignored anything that was said about her family that was negative or sensationalized.

Hopefully Kyron's father will rethink this, as you said, and reprioritize. Kyron really should come first, IMO.

OT, but I thought poor Desiree could barely bring herself to say the "Kyron is alive" phrase...she is trying so hard to convince herself. She also stumbled at the part about "extreme confidence" in how investigation is being handled.

My heart sure goes out to DY and the rest of Kyron's family. I thought the same things you did when I watched her speak about Kyron. I also got the feeling that because she spoke alone that it was something "she" needed to do.

I suspect KH didn't speak with her because he knows that what she wishes for is not likely true.

My immediate thought right after was, what kind of woman & dear friend (TH) be to hear those desperate words come from DY and not just break down and do the right thing...?

...WW made an interesting choice itself today - to run off and complain and whine about being kicked out in thier news blog. WW decided to break the family's request for trust because the family called out the WW on tactics (such as in-your-face-on-your-doorstep-unannounced-interviews) and make the story about the WW vs. the Horman family. Is that reporting? Or is that bitterness?

The WW bogarted Kyron's story today and tanked the family's message about Kyron. The WW put the spotlight instead on the parents' ground rules...

...But the headline - "Troubled Family" - that was salacious - not factual.

I don't know Emm - It is good reporting to let us know ground rules were set and not everyone was invited to report on news from the family. Ground rules, btw, is a common phrase/procedure used in large meeting settings at Intel. This was all Kaine.

Regarding door to door interviews - I am VERY happy that WW does this. For example, if they hadn't done that with Mr. Tarver, we wouldn't have known that Kyron's older sibling J was at the Horman house Saturday through Tuesday and not camping, as previously "reported". Mr. Tarver didn't seem to mind the chance to answer some questions from his doorstep.

Re not thinking the family is troubled - are you sure?
Seems like having your son missing for a month, a divorce being filed in the middle of the case, a restraining order being filed in the middle of the case, a baby taken from her home, people having a need to call 911 twice in one evening, having facts come out about a pedophile uncle to Kyron, having Kyron's older brother moved out of the house a few months before Kyron went missing, etc etc sounds like a troubled situation to me. For ANY family.

BTW, none of this detracts from my opinion that Terri is involved in Kyron's disappearance but as I've said waaay before this controlled media presser, I do not think Kaine was the perfect husband, ex-husband, father, or step-father either. He played a major role in the dynamics of this family for sure, but was most likely not involved in foul play on the day of Kyron's disappearance. Just my opinion.

Respectfully,
A CaringCitizen

Until the press maneuver yesterday - with Kaine thinking that he can call the shots - I had given Kyron's dad the benefit of the doubt in having anything to do with his son's disappearance. Now, I'm not so sure.

As much as I don't want to think it, Kaine seems like a real control freak and wants things to be done his way and on his terms. He is intelligent, but seems overly deliberate in demeanor and speech. Kaine is very controlled in the interviews from last week (June 25), shows very little raw emotion, and measures his words carefully so as not to say anything that might be misconstrued or subject to future analysis or criticism. He is extremely disciplined and clearly wants to be in charge. I'm beginning to wonder what life was like for Kyron in a household where dad seems to expect a lot from himself and might have expected the same degree perfection from his son. jmo

And from his wife, who may have rebelled and perhaps put Kyron at risk by her actions.

IMO having a missing child and a serious suspicion that a family member may be behind the disappearance pretty much makes a family troubled by default. If the suspicion turns out to have any truth in it, anyway. Perfectly adjusted, well balanced, happy and fully functional people do not usually make their children disappear on purpose with no reason whatsoever.

Re troubled family- Oh man if anything ever happened to anyone in my family, you guys would have a field day with us. From criminal records to messed up past relationships to multiple marriages. All of which happened years ago, but none the less happened and would be found in public records. Heck, I have searched most of the members in my family and looked at their records. But with that being said, the family dynamic has changed and my family members who got in trouble with the law are NOT the same people they were 10 years ago.

I can definetly say that 10 years ago my family would have been classified as a "troubled family", but a lot and changed and we are a good family with a lot of history!

[bbm]

agree that the bee allergy info has come out late but the birthmark info is important b/c if Jyron has been abducted, he will likely be upset and it will be visible much of the time IMO

Very important. What if someone saw a little boy and thought "wow, that sure likes little Kyron, the missing boy from Portland, but, wait, no it can't be Kyron, this kid has a birthmark and Kyron doesn't." It could have been a missed opportunity to bring Kyron home.

I don't know Emm - It is good reporting to let us know ground rules were set and not everyone was invited to report on news from the family. Ground rules, btw, is a common phrase/procedure used in large meeting settings at Intel. This was all Kaine.
<respectfully snipped>

I wrote a reply to continue this discussion but as I posted, it disappeared into cyber air!

LOL!
So...Everyone is spared!

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Trust me, no biggie. :D Except, cyberspace is just trying to tell me something!

I have two thoughts on this:

1) I think someone else mentioned (possibly in another thread...I can't keep them all straight anymore) that TH's attorney is known to use WW and Oregonian to help build his defense case. Perhaps that is why KH, KY, and TY didn't want those specific reporters there?

2) Perhaps those that remained in the room where actually given a lot more info in confidence, not to be reported publicly, about Kyron's whereabouts. DY said "Kyron is still alive", and the ghostly look on her face seemed as if maybe they had heard his voice or recently gotten some other "proof of life" or something. But WW and Oregonian have historically proven to be less than ethical (in their eyes), so they didn't want the new information to be shared with them, lest they leak it to the public.

BBM

What have Willamette Week and The Oregonian done that has proven that they are unethical??

To me, this is a clue. Along with what you said, he is also very precise and logical. If you ask yourself, what does it take to make a child disappear, seemingly into thin air from a school, it starts to give you a chill. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89