2010.07.17 - President of NCM&EC could be a stranger abduction.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First scenario which comes to mind is a contracted abduction. Whomever is behind his disappearance contracted with a stranger to abduct a specific child. So when you look at it that way, it is a stranger - an individual with no prior ties to the child (directly at least). If it was child specific then the threat to other children is limited (in theory).

That would rule out the LS, other family members and friends and people associated with the school. If that were the case wouldn't LE be concerned for the safety of the citizenry? They weren't.

http://www.fbi.gov/kids/crimepre/abduct/abdmiss.htm

Among its activities, NCMEC provides the following resources:

• Technical assistance to parents, private agencies, and law enforcement, including case management analysis.

• A national toll-free hotline (1-800-THE-LOST/1-800-843-5678 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1-800-843-5678******end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1-800-843-5678******end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1-800-843-5678******end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1-800-843-5678******end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1-800-843-5678******end_of_the_skype_highlighting).

• An information network for the exchange of data and photographs of missing children.

• Legal and technical assistance training programs.

• Professional and general interest publications.

• Support for 47 states' missing children clearinghouses.

• Assistance in international child abduction cases under the Hague Convention.

• Coordination of Project ALERT, which uses the services of volunteer retired police officers to provide onsite assistance to local police in complex missing and exploited children cases.

Our federal, state, and local law enforcement partners stand shoulder to shoulder with us to help locate children and build cases against their offenders. Any success that we have achieved has been through those partnerships and relationships we continue to develop with our law enforcement partners and one of our greatest allies, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).

FBI personnel work here at NCMEC and have access to the Cyber Tip Line, the “9-1-1 for the Internet.”

http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/speeches/harrington080210.htm

Was NCMEC one of the agencies assisting MCSO in the investigation?

This is like some bureaucrat from the AMA assisting in heart surgery at your local hospital.

Thinking more on this, and given that the organization works closely with LE and the DOJ (i.e. FBI, etc.), I believe it's quite likely he does have investigative information regarding Kyron's case.

I don't think they're given specifics, but I think general information, such as type of case, would be necessary for them to assemble their statistics, and most importantly, distribute them out to LE.

It wouldn't make sense for them to just guess at the classification or category or whatever it's called, and then send useless stats out to LE agencies.

I'm tired tonight. I'll dig around tomorrow and see what more I can find out.

This is like some bureaucrat from the AMA assisting in heart surgery at your local hospital.

If that bureaucrat (your word) from the AMA had a long history of success in the kind of heart surgery I required, you bet I would welcome him as a team member. Why wouldn't I?

Welcome aboard 'specialty doc'! Help save my life. :yes: moo mho

Here is another viewpoint by Ron Tourco from June 8th:

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Criminal-profiler-analyzes-Kyron-case-95921749.html

Snip

"You have to hypothesize that he went with someone he knew. A family member or someone associated with the family, " said Dr. Turco.
After all, Kyron was on top of the world as he just presented his science fair project at Skyline Elementary, said Dr. Turco. "Something doesn't fit. He was an intelligent boy and was very proud of what he did at school."
So why did he wander off or walk off with a stranger . . . ."

That would rule out the LS, other family members and friends and people associated with the school. If that were the case wouldn't LE be concerned for the safety of the citizenry? They weren't.

If Terri is not a suspect or a POI shouldn't citizens be worried for the safety of their children?

I don't think they're given specifics, but I think general information, such as type of case, would be necessary for them to assemble their statistics, and most importantly, distribute them out to LE.

It wouldn't make sense for them to just guess at the classification or category or whatever it's called, and then send useless stats out to LE agencies.

I'm tired tonight. I'll dig around tomorrow and see what more I can find out.

They work hand-in-hand with the agencies involved, including providing case analysis. That tells me they know more than the average joe on the street about the investigation.

If Terri is not a suspect or a POI shouldn't citizens be worried for the safety of their children?

Hi Jade, I would certainly say so ! In my mind - no link right now - LE let us know they believed it was a familial abduction right away {I think that also includes friends and people known by the victim} and haven't changed IMO

Hi Jade, I would certainly say so ! In my mind - no link right now - LE let us know they believed it was a familial abduction right away {I think that also includes friends and people known by the victim} and haven't changed IMO

bbm..

scandi. i see you say IMO at the end of your statement. are you saying this is your opinion that le said these things or are you saying le did say these things?

NCMEC uses the DOJ categories that the gentleman in the article was speaking to. Different subject from the Missing-Voluntary, Missing-Endangered, etc.

ETA:

Ooh, ok. Thanks for clarifying and giving the example from the article! I had not read it again since the first time it was published. I thought you were talking about when they create the profiles and have to fill in a classification next to "missing".

They have implied, sometimes indirectly and other times quite directly that Terri has been a POI during the investigation. But, they have never outright called it a familial abduction. I don't know how they could anyway, since as far as it seems all family members are accounted for and not on the run with the child. Also, familial abduction means someone literally related to the victim by blood or marriage, not just friends or any person who happened to personally know the family/victim.

If a bureaucrat from the AMA were visiting the hospital where I was having heart surgery, I don't know that he'd be in the operating room, but he might darn well be briefed on my condition.
Was NCMEC one of the agencies assisting MCSO in the investigation?
Yes, as I recall, as was the Secret Service.
U.S. SECRET SERVICE PARTNERSHIP WITH THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR MISSING AND EXPLOITED CHILDREN

The public's awareness of missing and exploited children in the 1980s had a profound effect on how America responds to this widespread problem. In an attempt to provide assistance to parents, children and the law enforcement community, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) was created in 1984. This was the beginning of a long term relationship between NCMEC and the law enforcement community throughout the world.

As part of the 1994 Crime Bill, Congress mandated the U.S. Secret Service to provide forensic/technical assistance in matters involving missing and exploited children. The Secret Service offers this assistance to federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. On April 30, 2003, President George W. Bush signed the PROTECT Act of 2003, known as the "Amber Alert Bill", which gave full authorization to the U.S. Secret Service in this area.

The Secret Service has supported the NCMEC and local law enforcement agencies with its expertise in forensic photography, graphic arts, video production, audio/image enhancement, voice identification, computerized 3D models and video and audio tape duplication services.
For more information on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, please visit http://www.missingkids.com/.

http://www.secretservice.gov/partner_ncmec.shtml

So, let's see, the NCMEC partners with the FBI and the United States Secret Service, and is probably the foremost authority on missing children in the United States with an international outreach, yet we're to assume that the president and CEO is not privy to information from local LE about a missing child investigation? Seriously??

If a bureaucrat from the AMA were visiting the hospital where I was having heart surgery, I don't know that he'd be in the operating room, but he might darn well be briefed on my condition.

Yes, as I recall, as was the Secret Service.
U.S. SECRET SERVICE PARTNERSHIP WITH THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR MISSING AND EXPLOITED CHILDREN

The public's awareness of missing and exploited children in the 1980s had a profound effect on how America responds to this widespread problem. In an attempt to provide assistance to parents, children and the law enforcement community, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) was created in 1984. This was the beginning of a long term relationship between NCMEC and the law enforcement community throughout the world.

As part of the 1994 Crime Bill, Congress mandated the U.S. Secret Service to provide forensic/technical assistance in matters involving missing and exploited children. The Secret Service offers this assistance to federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. On April 30, 2003, President George W. Bush signed the PROTECT Act of 2003, known as the "Amber Alert Bill", which gave full authorization to the U.S. Secret Service in this area.

The Secret Service has supported the NCMEC and local law enforcement agencies with its expertise in forensic photography, graphic arts, video production, audio/image enhancement, voice identification, computerized 3D models and video and audio tape duplication services.
For more information on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, please visit http://www.missingkids.com/.

http://www.secretservice.gov/partner_ncmec.shtml

So, let's see, the NCMEC partners with the FBI and the United States Secret Service, and is probably the foremost authority on missing children in the United States with an international outreach, yet we're to assume that the president and CEO is not privy to information from local LE about a missing child investigation? Seriously??

Yes, seriously. I think this quote...this standard throw out line is being stretched beyond reason. It is often argued here that the parents are speaking out of ignorance, out of emotion, but this one sentence from the head of a SUPPORT AGENCY is supposed to be a definitive window into the evidence?

This man heads a support agency. Period. Do you think he gets daily briefings from every jurisdiction with a missing child? He supports THEM..they do not report to him.

But, I also think that if some of you wish to believe this is a bombshell pointing to Terri's innocence and concrete evidence that this is a stranger abduction, that is your right. . And if some of you want to believe that this one sentence... in one article months old... turns the whole direction of the case upside down, then that is your right.

But, by that assumption, LE knew on July 17 that a stranger abducted Kyron and Terri was innocent. So why convene a grand jury? Why put on fliers with Terri and DeDe's faces? Why continue a charade?

I wonder why this very well respected man has allowed this charade to continue...to make a farce out of this innocent missing child's case? Why hasn't he spoken out again, for Kyron? Exposed this wayward LE, wasting money, accusing an innocent woman, misleading the public, leaving Kyron at risk? Isn't this organization's whole reason for being...for existing...the missing children?

Where has the head of NCMEC been since July 17? Since he knows that this case has been misdirected and that a stranger did it...where is his moral and perhaps even legal responsibility if he has been assisting it....to be a whistleblower?

He has been sitting on a bombshell all these months..and aided and abetted a fraud?

Is that what is being argued here? Well, we all have the right to interpret these things as we wish and I respect your interpretation. But if it is true...that would be very troubling in regard to NCMEC as well.

Well, I'm not prepared to make a bet one way or another. The original post says that hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing every year and it stands to reason that the CEO can't be expected to know the details on all the investigations. He's just got 24 hours in a day like the rest of us. He might or might not have been informed about Kyron by LE because of the special circumstances or taken it upon himself to find out because it's a high profile case. It could be that LE had shared with him the details that they weren't sharing in public revealed to him that it's not Terri, it's a stranger abduction, while still appearing to conduct an investigation in Terri's affairs in the public for some strange reason. It could be that he is not that informed and has missed all the hoolabaloo with the family in the media and has just heard that the child vanished from school after his stepmom left him there and has inferred that it must have been a stranger abduction. Or maybe he's heard what the sheriff thought so shocking and maybe this is one of those freak cases where a stranger has the child but it was orchestrated by the parental figure. I don't know but IMO he doesn't share any details in that article that prove that he knows the case intimately or has worked with the LE involved in the case. But I suppose he wouldn't be expected to share privileged information.

Does NCMEC make statistics about the ongoing cases that haven't been solved?
IMO it would make sense to create their statistics about reasons for children vanishing about cases that have had a resolution and not cases that are still up in the air in the beginning stages of investigation. In that case they wouldn't need to be briefed by local LE about any sensitive information about ongoing investigations.

Well, I'm not prepared to make a bet one way or another. The original post says that hundreds of thousands of children are reported missing every year and it stands to reason that the CEO can't be expected to know the details on all the investigations. He's just got 24 hours in a day like the rest of us. He might or might not have been informed about Kyron by LE because of the special circumstances or taken it upon himself to find out because it's a high profile case. It could be that LE had shared with him the details that they weren't sharing in public revealed to him that it's not Terri, it's a stranger abduction, while still appearing to conduct an investigation in Terri's affairs in the public for some strange reason. It could be that he is not that informed and has missed all the hoolabaloo with the family in the media and has just heard that the child vanished from school after his stepmom left him there and has inferred that it must have been a stranger abduction. Or maybe he's heard what the sheriff thought so shocking and maybe this is one of those freak cases where a stranger has the child but it was orchestrated by the parental figure. I don't know but IMO he doesn't share any details in that article that prove that he knows the case intimately. But I suppose he wouldn't if it was privileged information.

Does NCMEC make statistics about the ongoing cases that haven't been solved?
IMO it would make sense to create their statistics about reasons for children vanishing about cases that have had a resolution and not cases that are still up in the air. In that case they wouldn't need to be briefed by local LE about any sensitive information about ongoing investigations.

If he has privileged information that Terri is being victimized, the the public money is being wasted on a fraudulent investigation, that this entire case is a charade, why is he enabling that fraud?

According to this line of thinking...Terri has had to spend a huge sum on an attorney, her parents have mortgaged their home, Terri has lost custody of her child, and Kyron remains in the hands of a stranger while eyes are on her...and the head of this very respected agency says nothing more since July 17?

But he knows this is all a sham?

That it is a stranger?

That Terri has nothing to do with it?

And nothing is done to warn the public? Protect other children? The head of NCMEC is letting other children be exposed to this "stranger" and allowing "innocent" Terri to lose everything. But he knows the REAL TRUTH?

I would find that shocking.

Is this what the point is here?

If so, Terri will have quite a suit against NCMEC as well.

If he has privileged information that Terri is being victimized, the the public money is being wasted on a fraudulent investigation, that this entire case is a charade, why is he enabling that fraud?

According to this line of thinking...Terri has had to spend a huge sum on an attorney, her parents have mortgaged their home, Terri has lost custody of her child, and Kyron remains in the hands of a stranger while eyes are on her...and the head of this agency says nothing more since July 17?

But he knows this is all a sham?

That it is a stranger?

That Terri has nothing to do with it?

And nothing is done to warn the public? Protect other children? The head of NCMEC is letting other children be exposed to this "stranger" and allowing "innocent" Terri to lose everything. But he knows the REAL TRUTH?

Is this what the point is here?

If so, Terri will have quite a suit against NCMEC as well.

I did not say any of that. IMO it's quite possible that he knows nothing beyond the merest outline and was just willing to give a sound bite in order to get his organization in the news. Even if he knows what happened and it involves a stranger it could still involve Terri as well if we take some kind of trafficking or "altruistic" abduction scenario into account.

Regardless of what happened to Kyron, the parents in Portland and everywhere else are wise to teach their children about stranger danger and to be observant because even if it was strictly familial for Kyron there are creepy people around children everywhere.

I wouldn't think that Terri has the grounds to sue NCMEC in any case since I don't think it's in his job description that he has to inform the public about the investigatory details of ongoing missing child cases that LE keeps mum about and save the reputations of perceived persons of interest who haven't even been named person's of interest. Unless he's been intimately involved in the investigation he's just a civilian like the rest of us, and as far as Terri's reputation is concerned, not legally bound to defend her honor. I don't think LE is obligated to clear people they've investigated in public either so why would a NCMEC president be?

I did not say any of that. IMO it's quite possible that he knows nothing beyond the merest outline and was just willing to give a sound bite in order to get his organization in the news. Even if he knows what happened and it involves a stranger it could still involve Terri as well if we take some kind of trafficking or "altruistic" abduction scenario into account.

I wouldn't think that Terri has the grounds to sue NCMEC in any case since I don't think it's in his job description that he has to inform the public about the investigatory details of ongoing missing child cases that LE keeps mum about and save the reputations of perceived persons of interest who haven't even been named person's of interest. Unless he's been intimately involved in the investigation he's just a civilian like the rest of us, as far as Terri's reputation is concerned, not legally bound to defend her honor. I don't think LE is obligated to clear people they've investigated in public so why would a NCMEC president be?

You are right. I was still just expanding my orginal point.

I actually agree with you.

I think this idea that this one standard quote reveals anything, exposes anything...points to the certainty of a stranger abduction or Teri's innocence is a real long stretch.

But if it did, it certainly would lead to distrust of a respected agency...because if they know and have classified this as a stranger abduction since July 17...THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE TERRI...the search for Kyron and the safety of other children since then has been sorely ill served. And this organization has kept silent and allowed it to be so.

Reading through this thread, I am arguing against the idea that this quote, because it comes from this respected agency...means anything of importance.

It's only importance, or bombshell factor could be...if this man had privileged information, and on the basis of that privileged information... classified this case as a stranger abduction....and in some way, the inference is that the "privileged information" clears Terri Horman.

If that is true, my point is that NCM&EC would then be aware that this whol;e invesifation had maliciously targeted an innocent woman, stood by as she lost custody of her child, spend hundreds of thoiusands on a lawyer...and allowed the search for Kyron and the safety of other children to be compromised.

Why would a man who heads an agency devoted to protecting children DO THAT?

I say...he would not. Therefore this is no bombshell. It's a standard quote. Nothing more.

No tea leaves to read.

IMO.

Yes, seriously. I think this quote...this standard throw out line is being stretched beyond reason. It is often argued here that the parents are speaking out of ignorance, out of emotion, but this one sentence from the head of a SUPPORT AGENCY is supposed to be a definitive window into the evidence?

This man heads a support agency. Period. Do you think he gets daily briefings from every jurisdiction with a missing child? He supports THEM..they do not report to him.

But, I also think that if some of you wish to believe this is a bombshell pointing to Terri's innocence and concrete evidence that this is a stranger abduction, that is your right. . And if some of you want to believe that this one sentence... in one article months old... turns the whole direction of the case upside down, then that is your right.

But, by that assumption, LE knew on July 17 that a stranger abducted Kyron and Terri was innocent. So why convene a grand jury? Why put on fliers with Terri and DeDe's faces? Why continue a charade?

I wonder why this very well respected man has allowed this charade to continue...to make a farce out of this innocent missing child's case? Why hasn't he spoken out again, for Kyron? Exposed this wayward LE, wasting money, accusing an innocent woman, misleading the public, leaving Kyron at risk? Isn't this organization's whole reason for being...for existing...the missing children?

Where has the head of NCMEC been since July 17? Since he knows that this case has been misdirected and that a stranger did it...where is his moral and perhaps even legal responsibility if he has been assisting it....to be a whistleblower?

He has been sitting on a bombshell all these months..and aided and abetted a fraud?

Is that what is being argued here? Well, we all have the right to interpret these things as we wish and I respect your interpretation. But if it is true...that would be very troubling in regard to NCMEC as well.
Who said anything about bombshells and concrete? The seemingly narrow category that, according to Allen, includes Kyron's disappearance is wide open with possibilities. It doesn't necessarily exonerate Terri nor indicate that the case has been solved. You presume too much from my statement.

The question I addressed is whether Allen would have access to information about Kyron's case. My point stands, if he makes it his business to know, then he!! yeah.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back