2011.01.30 new search north and west of Portland

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it seems that the media may have lead us astray again? I'm about ready to discount all media coverage unless they have a live video feed of what they are talking about.

I've done a bit of poking around and at this time I would caution against putting too much weight on "the bone" found last month.

I think I wanted closure so bad on a case, any case at this point, that I may have believed the hype too. Someone go ahead and slap me, I blame exhaustion!

Probably and they'd probably make excellent searchers. Teens have a great eye for detail, lots of stamina, etc. But if searching for the body of a young child takes a huge toll on adults, I can't imagine what that's like for a young person. Maybe not as bad, but maybe far worse who knows? Are they really emotionally equipped for such a task or am I infantilizing them too much?

above BBM.

I work with teenagers and I don't think they are emotionally equipped, eagle scouts, or not. Would that mean they have some info that suggests that Kyron himself wouldn't be found where the teens were searching? But then, why the cadaver dogs? I don't know- it just seems inappropriate to me to use teens if they're expecting to find any type of remains...

I'm not sure what is going on here, but they look like they are ready to head into the field, and I don't like this. I agree with whomever said they are not emotionally equipped. It is one thing to have minors aiding at the CC to learn the ropes, completely another to have them out in the field.

Maybe I'm wrong, but they don't look 18 to me.

above BBM.

I work with teenagers and I don't think they are emotionally equipped, eagle scouts, or not. Would that mean they have some info that suggests that Kyron himself wouldn't be found where the teens were searching? But then, why the cadaver dogs? I don't know- it just seems inappropriate to me to use teens if they're expecting to find any type of remains...

we don't know that they were searching. here in CA they use them as support services just to gain experience. (sorry about no caps...my IPad is a pain to type on)

I'm not sure what is going on here, but they look like they are ready to head into the field, and I don't like this. I agree with whomever said they are not emotionally equipped. It is one thing to have minors aiding at the CC to learn the ropes, completely another to have them out in the field.

Maybe I'm wrong, but they don't look 18 to me.

IIRC, each teen has a deputy as a mentor and sticks with them. I'll have to search for that article again.

EXPLORER POST 178

Explorer post 178 consists of young men and women between 14 and 20 years of age. This group is involved in searches within Lane County. They can be called upon at any time, day or night, to search for a missing person or as support personnel in base camp operations. They may also provide assistance to other, more technical search teams, such as the Water Search and Rescue Unit and Eugene Mountain Rescue. Regular meetings and outings occur throughout the year to provide essential training in preparation to search involvement. Applicants selected for this program must be in good physical health, obtain most of their own equipment, and maintain a "C" or greater in each class in school.<snipped>

http://www.co.lane.or.us/Departments/Sheriff/PoliceServices/specoper/Pages/search_rescue.aspx

That isn't the article I was looking for, but that explains it a bit.

IIRC, each teen has a deputy as a mentor and sticks with them. I'll have to search for that article again.

Yeah, we had a similar program up until they actually found a victim. It was not a good thing.

For me and me only...teenagers, kids, don't need to be out their looking for kids that are missing...period!

It seems to me that if 18-year-olds are old enough to join the Army and get blown up by IED's in Iraq, I imagine they're old enough for this. Younger than that maybe not.

EXPLORER POST 178

Explorer post 178 consists of young men and women between 14 and 20 years of age. This group is involved in searches within Lane County. They can be called upon at any time, day or night, to search for a missing person or as support personnel in base camp operations. They may also provide assistance to other, more technical search teams, such as the Water Search and Rescue Unit and Eugene Mountain Rescue. Regular meetings and outings occur throughout the year to provide essential training in preparation to search involvement. Applicants selected for this program must be in good physical health, obtain most of their own equipment, and maintain a "C" or greater in each class in school.<snipped>

http://www.co.lane.or.us/Departments/Sheriff/PoliceServices/specoper/Pages/search_rescue.aspx

That isn't the article I was looking for, but that explains it a bit.

If 18-year-olds are old enough to join the Army and get blown up by IED's in Iraq, I imagine they're old enough for this. Younger than that maybe not.

Not talking about 18 year olds here, talking about kids as young as 14.

If 18-year-olds are old enough to join the Army and get blown up by IED's in Iraq, I imagine they're old enough for this. Younger than that maybe not.

CB..you know I luv ya...but in this case..they won't even allow the parents to search......we don't know what age there is in this search/rescue... 18 year olds out seeking for a possible deceased child, to me is a whole lot different...Hey, I was a military wife at 18...my husband was 19 when he joined the Army...but when he joined he wasn't out there looking for a possible body of a young child...he was out there to serve our country...

Again....we don't know that they were searching. They could be doing support like it said in Kimster's post.

OT - IDK but IMO kids today need to learn empathy for others & bad things do happen in life and they need to see & help others lst hand. I am sure an teen that helps look for another person goes home with a good feeling that they tried to make a difference and that is a good thing vs going to the mall IMO...YKWIM. :crazy:

CB..you know I luv ya...but in this case..they won't even allow the parents to search......we don't know what age there is in this search/rescue... 18 year olds out seeking for a possible deceased child, to me is a whole lot different...Hey, I was a military wife at 18...my husband was 19 when he joined the Army...but when he joined he wasn't out there looking for a possible body of a young child...he was out there to serve our country...

It's not easy on anybody, that's for sure, no matter what their age, and I don't mean that it won't be hard on these kids if they do find something more than crumpled paper and spent shotgun shells. And yeah, 14 seems a little too young. Sixteen, maybe. And maybe I'm just stuck in the past. When and where I was growing up, 16 was considered pretty much an adult.

But whatever the age, I hope they have lots of support for everybody involved.

Just speaking from experience, there are some things that nobody should ever have to see. There are finds that haunt me to this day, and I've seen my share of dead bodies. We don't know what the condition of this MP is, what was done to him, if anything, I just wouldn't want to chance it.

OT - IDK but IMO kids today need to learn empathy for others & bad things do happen in life and they need to see & help others lst hand. I am sure an teen that helps look for another person goes home with a good feeling that they tried to make a difference and that is a good thing vs going to the mall IMO...YKWIM. :crazy:

D.. you have a huge heart for sure. I would not enlist my teen for that endeavor...but that is just me.. I would enlist my teen to go and console and be a friend to those that would need him/her. Let the experts be out there.

Sure wish they'd bring in TES. They could search all week!

Just speaking from experience, there are some things that nobody should ever have to see. There are finds that haunt me to this day, and I've seen my share of dead bodies. We don't know what the condition of this MP is, what was done to him, if anything, I just wouldn't want to chance it.

Yes, that's true -- I've only seen one dead body, and it's not an experience I would care to repeat. I admire you tremendously for being able to face it repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee