2011.04.28 Emergency Media Motion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obviously hugely outnumbered here, but... I agree with Media on this one.
One of HHJP's reasons as to the need for secrecy was that the Jury site would be indundated with media... I didn't notice that the hearing yesterday was inundated with media, or any of the previous hearings, I have been watching every hearing since the initial bond hearing and there are just the usual local stations with InSessions from the national networks. Other than the NG show which has an audience which is obviously interested in crime matters I can't think of any national show (CBS,ABC)that hasn't been entirely slanted toward the defense. Sure there are bloggers who debate all the minutiae and the info has been online for anyone interested to peruse, but I bet the majority of Floridians are not on this site or similar as we all are.
The Atty for media yesterday saw a side of HHJP we have not seen before, angry, irritated that he was challenged on this ruling and very condescending to Ms Mercier. I have not seen him speak to the defense Attys in that way,the only other person who has got a sharp response from him was JA when he wanted to know where they were going for family reasons.
Let them appeal it and they will get an answer from someone who is not so heavily invested in the answer. I feel HHJP went down a notch in my estimation yesterday. He was not interested in anything Mercier had to say..
JMO of course.
I have my flak jacket and helmet on :innocent:

No flak, just respectful disagreement. :) When the papers reported that Judge Perry had been seen in West Palm Beach, at least 2 (I think) new stations rushed on out and did some 'people in the street' interviews. I think this is what Judge Perry want to avoid. If I had gotten a jury summons in Palm Beach County within the last 30 days and I saw my local TV news do a person in the street interview about this case, if I hadn't thought about it in awhile, the first thing I would do is look it up on the internet and see what all the fuss is about. And by doing that, I will knock myself out of the running as a potential juror. His Honor does not care about what the media says and does once the potential jurors are at the courthouse that first day of choosing a jury. I agree with this method of doing it. No one is stopping the media from attending the jury selection process. they just won't get there for about an hour and a half. Jury selection is going to take a good while, probably longer than a week. Media will have plenty of time to do their interviews in front of the courthouse where it is going on, etc. No one is stopping them from that.

Good analogy: National media do not predict who is going to win a presidential election (and they all have a gazillion people working on that prediction) until ALL the polling places have closed. They do this so people will not feel they shouldn't bother to vote because so and so already won. I don't see anyone screaming that their first amendment rights are being abused when that happens. Why? Because they are censoring themselves. In this case someone else is doing the 'censoring' and they don't like it.

No flak, just respectful disagreement. :) When the papers reported that Judge Perry had been seen in West Palm Beach, at least 2 (I think) new stations rushed on out and did some 'people in the street' interviews. I think this is what Judge Perry want to avoid. If I had gotten a jury summons in Palm Beach County within the last 30 days and I saw my local TV news do a person in the street interview about this case, if I hadn't thought about it in awhile, the first thing I would do is look it up on the internet and see what all the fuss is about. And by doing that, I will knock myself out of the running as a potential juror. His Honor does not care about what the media says and does once the potential jurors are at the courthouse that first day of choosing a jury. I agree with this method of doing it. No one is stopping the media from attending the jury selection process. they just won't get there for about an hour and a half. Jury selection is going to take a good while, probably longer than a week. Media will have plenty of time to do their interviews in front of the courthouse where it is going on, etc. No one is stopping them from that.

Good analogy: National media do not predict who is going to win a presidential election (and they all have a gazillion people working on that prediction) until ALL the polling places have closed. They do this so people will not feel they shouldn't bother to vote because so and so already won. I don't see anyone screaming that their first amendment rights are being abused when that happens. Why? Because they are censoring themselves. In this case someone else is doing the 'censoring' and they don't like it.

Secret Jury-Select Plan Appealed in Casey Anthony Murder Case; Similar Issue Wins Reversal in Wash.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/artic...ury_selection/

I think Zsa is right. :(

Just a Reminder...I CAN"T stand Defense Attorneys. They, and they alone may have destroyed the legal system. Everytime a suspect hires one...and no body is found,the suspects walks. Now a case was just posted that they are trying to overturn a conviction because the judge closed the doors on a very crowded courtroom and denied the defendent his right to a public trial...l.Puhleeese..Beam me up Scotty!!

We need to get rid of the ACLU along with Criminal Defense Attorneys!!! :drink:

decided NOT to appeal the decision.

News 13’s Vice-President and General Manager Robin Smythe said.

While we respect Judge Perry, we disagree with the court’s decision yesterday. However, we have no interest in or intention of disrupting the progress of the Casey Anthony trial. Therefore, we will not be participating in the appeal to Judge Perry’s ruling. We maintain our opposition to the court’s confidentiality agreement and will not be signing it. However, we do not believe this will preempt us and other local media outlets from providing continuous coverage of the jury selection process.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/may/239352/News-13-not-joining-Casey-Anthony-appeal

I don't know if anyone else posted this.

I agree it's a DT dream, but they are still out there giving interviews, drawing attention to the case as it approaches Jury selection. If they demand secrecy then the least they could do is keep a low profile for a couple of weeks. They are the ones inundating the public with the information at this stage.

But defense can do interviews because it does not paint KC in a negative light. It's the media that points to all the evidence, the 31 days, the way the remains were found that is damaging to KC case. The media has a right to report all this information. But they step over the line when they talk to potential jurors who will have to withdrawal because someone from the media spoke with them. The whole idea of going somewhere else to pick a jury is because of all the media coverage. If a week before the jury is selected the media goes to the jury selection city and start a negative campaign against KC they may just as well stay in Orlando. What would be the point? The State is spending a lot of money to bring these jurors in but if they can't seat a jury because most of them have been watching the interviews on the local news it will cost Florida taxpayers even more.

Imagine you just moved into a new neighborhood and one of your neighbors claimed you did something terrible. You are innocent but can't prove it. Now that person stops people on the street and points you out claiming you did this terrible thing. How would you feel? How can you tell people you did not do what this person claims?

Essentially the media wants everyone to know where they are going so they can talk to people on the street, interview them, get their views and broadcast the information within the city prior to jury selection. jmo

decided NOT to appeal the decision.

News 13’s Vice-President and General Manager Robin Smythe said.

While we respect Judge Perry, we disagree with the court’s decision yesterday. However, we have no interest in or intention of disrupting the progress of the Casey Anthony trial. Therefore, we will not be participating in the appeal to Judge Perry’s ruling. We maintain our opposition to the court’s confidentiality agreement and will not be signing it. However, we do not believe this will preempt us and other local media outlets from providing continuous coverage of the jury selection process.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/2011/may/239352/News-13-not-joining-Casey-Anthony-appeal

I don't know if anyone else posted this.

The rest of them need to do the same!!! :maddening:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this is similar. :waitasec: Judge Perry isn't keeping anyone out, just a delay in revealing the location!

Thanks I needed that slap of reality. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :blowkiss:

Ouch on the reversal? It isn't the same...in that case, in WA, the Judge closed the court room during jury selection. HHJP isn't doing that...he is just withholding the place until it is closer to the time.

ICA, will get a public trial!

I so appreciate HHJP!

Yes, Softail slapped some sense into me. See? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Yes, Softail slapped some sense into me. See? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

She was quicker than I...30 lashes with a wet noodle!

I think we are all going to be a bit bat nutty before this thing is through.

Here we are in Florida, where the Sunshine Law allows exceedingly liberal access to all state, county, and municipal records, and yet there is still a cry from the media that they're not satisfied? I am not really clear on what they think they are being denied. If they can understand that HHJP has the authority (and responsibility) to "seal" some discovery (which he already has in the history of this case) to protect the rights of the defendant ~ then why don't they understand that the same authority and responsibility would also apply to simply delaying the release of the location?

It seems to me that they're not really losing any constitutional rights here; they're merely being inconvenienced. All this at the expense of possibly delaying the trial and allowing another point (tainting the jury?) for the defense to argue for appeal. moo.

But defense can do interviews because it does not paint KC in a negative light. It's the media that points to all the evidence, the 31 days, the way the remains were found that is damaging to KC case. The media has a right to report all this information. But they step over the line when they talk to potential jurors who will have to withdrawal because someone from the media spoke with them. The whole idea of going somewhere else to pick a jury is because of all the media coverage. If a week before the jury is selected the media goes to the jury selection city and start a negative campaign against KC they may just as well stay in Orlando. What would be the point? The State is spending a lot of money to bring these jurors in but if they can't seat a jury because most of them have been watching the interviews on the local news it will cost Florida taxpayers even more.

Imagine you just moved into a new neighborhood and one of your neighbors claimed you did something terrible. You are innocent but can't prove it. Now that person stops people on the street and points you out claiming you did this terrible thing. How would you feel? How can you tell people you did not do what this person claims?

Essentially the media wants everyone to know where they are going so they can talk to people on the street, interview them, get their views and broadcast the information within the city prior to jury selection. jmo

When the defense team does that, it endangers the public because they are lying to free a child murderer though. If I knew my neighbor was a child murderer, but I went around telling everyone how great she/he is and how loving and how awesome she/he is, it's just as bad.

Here we are in Florida, where the Sunshine Law allows exceedingly liberal access to all state, county, and municipal records, and yet there is still a cry from the media that they're not satisfied? I am not really clear on what they think they are being denied. If they can understand that HHJP has the authority (and responsibility) to "seal" some discovery (which he already has in the history of this case) to protect the rights of the defendant ~ then why don't they understand that the same authority and responsibility would also apply to simply delaying the release of the location?

It seems to me that they're not really losing any constitutional rights here; they're merely being inconvenienced. All this at the expense of possibly delaying the trial and allowing another point (tainting the jury?) for the defense to argue for appeal. moo.

Well the other side of that is- HHJP will draw more attention to this upcoming trial by trying to keep the location of public proceedings secret from a news agency than would have happened if he'd just given them the information. Every civil libertarian will jump on this, they will be on local and national media decrying it...

I have followed this case since the beginning and the one thing I haven't seen is anyone (not Media, not websites,no one)trying to spread lies about an innocent person in order to paint her guilty, or even to really exaggerate what happened. So much is documented in print, on video and tape that it cannot be done.The opposite has occurred, we watch most national coverage as they report this case and cringe at the slant towards the defense with very few exceptions. We have read the facts of this case as reported, and not relying on Media opinions we have all examined the docs in minute detail, listened to interviews, watched hearings ad nauseam, dissected every aspect of her behavior, and we are able to do this because of the Sunshine Laws of Florida. If the Judiciary feel that the dissemination of this information has a negative effect on a persons ability to get a fair trial maybe they should repeal the act, but in the meanwhile the public has a right to it.
I have much more faith in Juries being able to dismiss all the 'Geraldo Rivera effect' than HHJP seems to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech