2011.05.11 Jury Selection Day Three

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Juror 3131: Woman. Has a vacation scheduled for this summer, plane tickets booked and a house rented in London. Scheduled to leave July 14th. Works for the school system. End of the fiscal year is June 30th. Has dept. inventory reports to be filed by then. She has to review and submit staff members reports. Would have to train someone else to do it for her. Won't get compensated past 15 days w/o boss approval.

Judge: double check with the school board about getting a replacement and find out if the superintendent will be "civil or not civil" regarding compensation.

Called back for round 2.

40 Fresh folks this afternoon-bring your lunches!!!
JBP:yourock::rollercoaster::rollercoaster:HOLD ON EVERYONE!!

3131:

HHJP: I got forty fresh folks for this afternoon. Bring your lunches.

Hardship? We have a vacation. Plane tickets and a house rented in London. First time out of country.

HHJP: When are you schedualed to leave ma'am?

Lady gets up to leave.

HHJP: We will be done by July 14th, that is for sure ma'am.

I work for the school system. I have reports that need to be filed. State statute. Have to be filed before June 30th. I have a staff of ten that do the inventory. I review and submit, reported to the school board.

HHJP: Is there someone else that can serve in the role that you serve.

I would have to do some training.

HHJP: Don't worry about your trip to London. Double check and put the school board on notice they may need to fill that role. It makes me jealous, don't worry about that trip we will be done. We are going to let you go. Return home or to work. Contact information you need to fill out and come back for second phase of questions. Don't worry about that London trip but the school may have to fill...find all that out...if you will be paid or not.

LOL this lady, like several others keep bringing the parade of excuses. Oh...and also, I broke a nail this morning. Oh...wait, um, I have to pee a lot.

No, this is essentially the state is drafting you for jury duty in another city, living in a hotel room and restricting outside contact for 8 weeks. This is a huge hardship for anyone. And we have to wonder exactly why they are going to such lengths in this case. Yes the defendant has the right to a fair trial. But when did we start to take it so far that we undermined the citizenry's rights to serve judgement for crimes committed within their own communities?

Thankyou! I don't understand why they feel the only fair minded honest people live at least an hour out of Orlando.

Promising to be done by 7/14 is scary to me. What if they are not done, she loses her trip to London, the defense might make this happen on purpose -

I think the DT will have much bigger problems by 7/14 than to mess up this woman's vacation on purpose.

My BIL has it too & wears some kind of machine (I believe it's a called a c-pack?) over his face to bed every night.

CPAP LOL!
Continuous
Positive
Airway
Pressure

just fyi * not that it matters really. [= )

O/t

POCKETBOOK CANDY!!
my granny always had candy! it tasted like make up and perfume! BUT kept us quiet at church!

Lol, my grandmothers lollies always had FLUFF on it too. Somehow it managed to find its way into wrapping. Even now, on the rare occasions that I do have a Werthers, I always think I can smell incense.

3019: Hardship? In a couple of ways. Elderly mom. Disability. She stays with her mom. Called boss, they will only pay three days and job would no longer be secure. My job would no longer be secure.

HHJP: They can't do that but they can, not pay you. Your mom that you live with, if you were selected what would happen to her care?

Impose on friends and neighbors. Brother in NY.

HHJP: Excused.

3019 woman (LOTS more women in this round)

eldery mom she is caring for, she only is paid for 3 days and job is no longer secure has to take leave of absence,

excused for cause

Promising to be done by 7/14 is scary to me. What if they are not done, she loses her trip to London, the defense might make this happen on purpose -

Hopefully she had the good sense to buy travel Insurance. There are any number of covered reasons why she might have to cancel. Illness and Jury duty are two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove