2011.05.13 - Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day Five)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JB argued badly, but I think the man did lie, knowingly, especially about an interest in crime.

Note to self and fellow sleuthers.............No book reviews in our real name...........or any comments on the web about serial killers use alias.................Does Mr.Baez think ICA is a serial killer?

1 in and 1 out

judge said they will seat and swear 12 by TONIGHT... he will use the ??claudette?? or something like that method of jury selection where he seats 12 and then they can use back strikes if they want to and replace them one at a time...

they will be working tomorrow

Don't they have to seat 20 and then pick 8 of those at random to be the alternates??

Can't help but think the DT shot themselves in the foot on this last potential juror. He stated he didn't consider what he did was a crime, more of a mistake. If I had a client who half my mitigation question dealt with age, maturity, impulse control, etc. I would have grabbed this juror up, bass fiddle and all!!

it is going to be so easy to force Baez' hand on strikes as he is so transparent... (and so inexperienced)

there is nothing worse than the coupling of arrogance and inexperience...

in the area of nursing I work (open heart) it is deadly.. and frankly in this case it could be too....

Well it was certainly grandstanding at best. Probably the only Perry Mason moment he'll get. He could have just as easily asked if he was arrested in the past for DUI/DWI and gone from there. He didn't have to try to humiliate the man.

<Highly Unusual Person>!!

That still just annoys me how he did that--I know he wants those aha Perry Mason moments BUT....then go on and on about him being a liar and not able to take an oath to tell the truth...uhhhhh look to your LEFT---she has raised her hand and given some whoppers bigger than a DUI in 2006-----just uncalled for considering the source:maddening:

Who wants to bet (after we come back from lunch) the first thing up will be JB wanting to argue with HHJP about his overruling JB's asking the juror be let go for cause??? He actually wanted to see the record. What, he doesn't understand what just happened? He has to read it? GAWD this man ......

Can't help but think the DT shot themselves in the foot on this last potential juror. He stated he didn't consider what he did was a crime, more of a mistake. If I had a client who half my mitigation question dealt with age, maturity, impulse control, etc. I would have grabbed this juror up, bass fiddle and all!!

hadn't looked at it that way--but very good points....

After Jose called the PJ a liar, he had to use a strike for him! Tact is not Jose Baez' middle name....

Don't they have to seat 20 and then pick 8 of those at random to be the alternates??

he said they would swear 12 by tonight... most likely they will choose 8 more tomorrow and do the backstriking..

I wish I could have heard the method he said he was using..

but he said he will seat 12 and replace them one by one if struck... and than they will get the alternates

if Baez keeps up his pace they will be working on Sunday too.

The lawyers on HLN are also wondering why the judge keeps talking about 12 when he needs 20...they all have to pass the same stages and be equally qualified and approved...kind of questioning the judge's tactics today...

JB argued badly, but I think the man did lie, knowingly, especially about an interest in crime.

Well don't you know, half truths and mistruths aren't illegal? Per CA that is! :floorlaugh:
Funny how JB and team have two different standards.

The lawyers are now saying they think this method is a possible appeal issue...the defense is not getting to see very many potential jurors...neither Jean or Sunny have never heard of anything like this before.

is there a clip anywhere of ICA leaving for lunch? I missed it!!! DANG!!

Both Jean and Sunny saying that in this type of case, they should be able to see all 60 jurors before they have to start making decisions, this is too big of a case...

This had me thinking back to my dui arrest days as I sat in jail. I *did not* consider myself a criminal at all. Even argued with a guard about it.

Guard: Honey, where are you right now?

Me: Jail.

Guard: then you're a criminal. Only criminals go to jail.

Kinda opened my eyes.

1 in and 1 out

judge said they will seat and swear 12 by TONIGHT... he will use the ??claudette?? or something like that method of jury selection where he seats 12 and then they can use back strikes if they want to and replace them one at a time...

they will be working tomorrow

Thank you. Wow...that seems a little far fetched at the rate they seem to be going. Mathmatically they need 39 (or 38 now that the def used a strike already). It's after 12 already and they only have 5(?). How do they plan on getting through 33 more???

The lawyers are now saying they think this method is a possible appeal issue...the defense is not getting to see very many potential jurors...neither Jean or Sunny have never heard of anything like this before.
I'll consider the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member