2011.06.06 TRIAL Day Eleven (Afternoon Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The point source of the odor was the TRUNK."

JB just elicited more damaging testimony showing there was a BODY in the trunk.

Exactly, he presses for answers that, cook ICA's goose..even more

I was quite happy to turn off JB and go do my dishes, because I cannot handle his attempts to belittle Dr. Vass....so I will ask this, has there been ANY progress with this cross-exam, or is it the same old wandering in the wilderness?

Wandering and hopelessly lost

JA insisting the court reporter read back the original question so that JB's can re-phrase and get a different answer.

SMART!

Funny that JB is spending so much time on this. Shouldn't his line of questioning simply been:

"Dr. Vass were you in the Anthony home on June 16th when Caylee drowned?"
"No."
"No further questions your honor."

How is this line of questioning related to his OS?

You should text that to JB.

Continued Cross exam of Dr. Arpad Vass by JB.

Preliminary report issued in August 2008.

He doesn't know if his report became publicly immediately. He was made aware that it was issued to the public.

He was upset with all the media attention as shown in an email exchange with CSI Vincent.

He agreed his conclusions were being discussed before he finished his work. He was not pleased with it.

The carpet sample showed 54 chemical compounds - per his first report.

JB then showed him his second report.

Preliminary report #2 showed 51 chemical compounds. The reason for the differences is that they realized there was some overlap of gasoline. Some compounds have more than one name. They then eliminated some of the duplications, resulting in the 51 compounds.

In report #1, of the 54, 43 were consistent with decomp.

In report #2, of the 51, 41 were consistent with decomp.

After that, on the first report - only 19 overlapped with gasoline components.

In report #2, 17 overlapped with gasoline components.

He doesn't recall if he came up with the same percentage. He stated that his conclusions were, OF COURSE, not based on these numbers.

He considered the final report to be most accurate.

At the junk yard they got 3 Pontiac Sunfires - later corrected in the final report to 2. They intentionally chose the worst possible urban like situation to compare. They considered a new carpet to be an unfair comparison. He thinks the initial error of 3 cars, was that they took two samples from one of the two cars. He later did an affidavit correcting this error.

Sometimes he takes notes along the way, and sometimes he doesn't. Regarding bench notes, he did not review Dr. Wise's.

JA objects - HHBP - are you using Dr. Wise's bench notes? Objection sustained.

He doesn't know the history of the junk yard cars or the car in Florida. He is doing a comparative analysis. One of the two junk yard cars had trace amounts of chloroform. They did a qualitative analysis.

He agreed he has not done a study of chemicals in carpet in general.

Chemical compound of garbage depends on what is in the garbage.

He got a list of the items found in the trash. He did not see the items - just the list. He did not witness the actual garbage and did not know what the chemical breakdown of each item. However, they did sample the air of the composite of the garbage, but didn't recall the date.

JB asks for a moment.

The samples were taken on 8/30/08 - Exhibit 122 - Not on July 16. Air is free flowing and the chemical composition can change from moment to moment.

He doesn't know what was done to the garbage between 7/16 and 8/30/08.

He was directed to his table showing the breakdown of the air samples (table 1). He did not reference Exhibit 118 - the air sample of the trunk, in his table because the complete liner had been removed. It was not a valid comparison.

The table indicates that without doubt, the point source of the odor, was the trunk. They did an analysis showing trace amounts of sulfur and chloroform even after the liner had been removed, which he felt was not a valid comparison.

17 chemical compounds - 7 were relevant to decomp. Because of trace, they reduced it to 5. They were very, very conservative. This number was then reduced to 3 that did not overlap.

He mentioned difusion - if the trash was in the car and the liner was emanating, a small amount of that could have adhered to the trash.

You cannot account for, but you can make an assumption based on quantity.

Assumptions are sometimes relevant in conclusions - common sense included.

Oh God bless Dr Vass for trying to follow Baez' convoluted questioning. That he even tries to make sense of it, makes him appear to be dignified in his position as a witness, ( regardless of the fact that he has more brain cells in the tip of his pinky finger than Baez will ever hope to have in his head)..... JMO of course

"Common sense included"............ZINGGGGGGGGGGggggggggggggggggggg

:maddening: JB seems to missing a HUGE point...Dr. Vass was being VERY conservative in his discussion of the chemicals as they relate to the essence of human decomposition, ummmmmm that's a tiny point IN CASEY's favor so to speak!

:maddening::maddening:

Dr. Vass - Assumptions can be valid for conclusions. Including common sense.

Why do I feel that the Common sense part was direct to JB?

JB is making me crazy with this questioning. Dr. Vass seems to know his stuff and I am really confused about what JB is trying to accomplish here (other than the fact that he's accomplished giving me a headache). I was yelling at my TV during the questioning about his chemistry background (when JB was asking Dr. Vass about the last time he took a chemistry class): "when was the last time you took a chemistry class, Jose?". Ugh.

we are back to "You are not a "fireman" are you? Or a lifeguard?"

Dr. Voss - "No I am not"

Vass clearly annoyed with JB, adds to answer with "Common sense included" for jb :floorlaugh:

Is JB actually looking as bad to the jury as he is looking to us? I mean to my eye it looks like a physicist trying to explain his job to a middle to low grade kindergardner. Is that the actual impression that he is leaving in the observers that count?

JB once again proving that Dr. Vass is not a physicist or a chemist.

#caseyanthony's defense served Dr. Vass with a subpoena during a recess earlier today in hallway. Source says defense wants paperworkby anthonycase via twitter at 12:51 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela