2011.06.16 TRIAL Day Twenty (Afternoon Session)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DIRECT EXAMINATION OF CARY OIEN BY JB:

Section Chief at FBI. He's been at FBI for 15 years.

BS in Biology and MS in Entomology. Received 1 year training at FBI in hairs and fibers.

JB tenders witness as an expert in hair and fiber analysis. Accepted.

In September 2008 he was the unit chief of the trace evidence unit, managing all of the trace evidence unit personal - examiners and scientists - including Karen Lowe and Stephen Shaw.

In this case he conducted an examination.

9/12/08 report - Ms. Lowe was not present when this item came in, so he did the analysis. It was a shovel (stipulated as to the shovel) Q-46 received for a mineralogic examination, but there were stickers which are very good receptors of trace evidence, so they looked at it for hair and fiber. He examined the underside of the stickers and removed debris to be mounted on a slide, then analyzed that. He found that on one of the stickers he found a small human hair (about 1/4 inch) that exhibited caucasion characteristics, but it was not suitable for him to compare to a known sample. It was considered a fragment. Then submitted it to mitochondrial analysis. He doesn't know the results of that.

His lab is ASCLAD Lab accredited which means they are assessed to make sure they meet criteria.

Does a research lab have to do this?

OBJECTION by - outside area of expertise

If a lab is not accredited by ASCLAD or other organization, are they pretty much on their own or are they monitored?

SIDEBAR #10

CROSS EXAM BY JA:

No more info on the hair, other than it was caucasion.

REDIRECT EXAM BY JB:

Fair that he did a full examination.

Witness is excused.

Jury is excused until tomorrow at 9:00.

No blood on the car seat, color me stunned.

Why are they making such a big deal out of finding no blood? No one thinks that Caylee was beat to death or stabbed or anything that would cause her to bleed. I just wonder how long any fluids last in water for 6 months? If there was anything on the duct tape it is probably gone because of being in the water for so long. I hope the Pros can hold their own during this trial. I don't know what will happen if that evil woman is allowed to walk out of that door and not have to pay big time for what she did. Caylee has to have justice!!!!

JA - don't know how, where, =why it is there other than caucasion hair fragment...

JB -did a thorough job
yes
witness excused

recess for evening - tomorrow @ 9am

I think the real issue here is he is NOT attacking the evidence. It's more like a soft lob, IMO.
Yes, exactly.

He needs to go hard at them. The man has had three years, and this is what he gives his client?

No blood in Tony's car. One saw sticker but one did not because she contaiminated it not because it didn't exist.

Lane six, Caylee was left in a garbage dump after she accidentally drown-there was no blood on the pooh blanket: oh wait! STRIKE that. Jose did not mean to ask fifteen minutes of questions about that blanket.

Side bar. Win Lose or Draw Pad...Witness who took the longest today let us know there was nothing she could conclusively tell us about anything.

The sticker was never there but it was contaminated by a lab tech, oh I said that one...it is a good one.

Blood. NO.

Hair on the shovel. Stickers on the shovel, that Casey borrowed but we don't know why...not even the bamboo excuse: the jury never heard that: they heard Casey held Caylee's dead body in her arms three years ago today. :shakehead: :curses: :confused:

:twocents:

I don't know but they didn't collect the trash bags until after Caylee's remains were discovered 6 months later. I suspect the trash bags they had in June were all used and they bought another box of trash bags.

IMO

yes, they didn't even know trash bags would be involved before they found Caylee. You never know in the box that they came from could have been down to the last few when she grabbed one and then a new box would have been opened. And as far as the bags being two different colors, she said one was black one was brown she could have grabbed the other from TL's and his trash bags could have been down to the last few also.

It's over!
30db78p.gif

this thread is closing and we are moving to the sidebar very quickly! see you over there

I've got a sticker on my shovel too, it says Sears Craftsman. What's his point?

I feel bad for people waiting in line since last night just to sit in the courtroom for this stuff today.

Contrary to Bill S' previous comment about the defense moving at a snail's pace and the trial lasting until Christmas, they seemed to whip through a slew of witnesses in a short period of time. I agree with a previous poster who said that the DT weren't prepared for a defense on behalf of their client as they expected her to be acquitted by HHJP yesterday.

^^^ Really??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member