2011.06.25 Sidebar Thread (Trial Day Twenty-eight)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen today's court proceedings yet, but wondered about something...

When HHJP announced that court was in recess until Monday, what was his demeanor?

He has been very vigilante in trying NOT to inconvenience this jury and they already lost a full day on Monday, half day on Wednesday, and because of that, were expected to work FULL DAY today...

So did he seem somewhat angry at having no choice to recess court....or something else?

Just wondering....

Judge seemed 'matter of fact' to me. He came across as this was just what he had to do.

But watch the trial thread when the Judge walks past ICA and the smirk/smile she gives as the judge goes past her and how she follows him. Weird vibes on this one for me.

Well I've been wondering for awhile if JB was just dragging out all his direct and cross so he could log in more hours in some Dickensian paid-by-the-word strategy to count for his DP qualification.

But something else has been kinda bugging me all along and I hope you will indulge me. While CM certainly knows some of the details of this case, like any other member of the DT team, I'm sure JB lied and gave him a dog and pony show about a lot of things. I have a feeling that many of his DT started jumping ship when details of JB's complete and total lack of ethics were slowly discovered. If CM found out that JB did something really disgusting (other than the typical discovery violation stuff he is pulling) maybe he decided to pull the plug before this could be a mistrial. I don't think JB tells his team any more than he needs to and hopes they don't discover all his misdeeds on their own.

The SA the other day published a discovery list that included the DC depo which was taken in March, IIRC. I have a theory about that being a shot across the bow to JB by the state if he wants to go after RK. Like JA saying "bring it!" yesterday. I know that LP's insistence of a "daisy chain" left all of us nuts. But it did leave me wondering all these months. There are only two times we've seen JB lose it. One was when he wanted the jailhouse tape of him and ICA after she found out the body had been discovered completely destroyed and anyone who witnessed it permanently barred from discussing it. Allegedly she was going nuclear and he was crying. That made me think perhaps she was mad at him for something he had promised her that did not happen. The other was when DC and JH were discovered to have filmed their little expedition looking for the body. JB went ballistic and insisted on special masters for his interview and used work product privilege to try to prevent LE from even interviewing him, much less having a depo taken. I speculated like many that, if there were indeed a daisy chain, it might have come through JB, who told DC where the body was and instructed him to find someone innocuous, like a civil servant to find the body while she was still in jail. RK may have simply been given a tip by DC that there was something suspicious in that area he should look at - and maybe a reminder that there was a nice reward. So RK called it in in August, the 11, 12 and 13. Three times in a row made me think he was pretty sure. But then she gets bonded out and it all dies down. Then in mid-November suddenly DC wakes up RH and gets him out of bed saying he knows where the body is and we all know how that turned out. Then three weeks later, RK is assigned back to the area and immediately calls it in again, as if he had been reminded (let me be clear, I don't think RK is guilty of anything at all). If there were not a connection to JB in all this aftermath, why did he go on an immediate campaign to investigate RK and dig up the kind of dirt that would ruin both his character and credibility after the fact? Why did he go to such great lengths to tie the person who found Caylee's remains to the crime and use sleazy tactics to impugn his credibility? JB is gonna have to deal with the RK issue soon and the state may be prepared to bring on DC to shed light on that deal. If JB is in any way involved with that and CM found out about it at this late hour, he may have decided to completely pull the plug on him before it's too late and all of this is entered into the record and there really is reason for a mistrial. If CM's whole raison d'etre was to babysit this joker and make sure he does not jeapordize not only the defendant's rights but the taxpayers, then this would be the time he would stand up and say something. Even if he is sick.

By leaving DS out to babysit ICA during the last part of the meeting, it makes me think somehow that those who think CM is all over JB are right. I am now curious as to WHEN KB heard CM yelling coming from behind closed doors. Was it early on or later in the game? Was the SA in with them then or not? The time it occurred might be revealing. And the fact that JB jumps onto HLN saying his is DP qualified is certainly telling for either theory. Gosh I hate that we have to swim in speculation for the whole rest of the weekend. Thanks to SOTS though for giving us something interesting to watch!

I'm really late today......slept in and saw by media reports that today's court session has be cancelled for some unknown "legal matter", and have been busy doing a little cleaning as we're expecting out-of-town friends to come for a visit this afternoon.

I'm taking a break and reading here and from what I gather, no one knows for sure what the issue is, but it's got the possibility of being something major.

Just throwing my opinion out there............I think it boils down to GA and LA. I thing JB has learned that GA is not going to lie on the witness stand and fall on his sword for ICA. LA was expected to do just that yesterday while he was on the witness stand, but he couldn't bring himself to do it.

So now, JB has no one to testify to claims of molestation or the accidental drowning except for KC. With her substantiated history of lying, no one would believe her.

I wonder what the jury is thinking? I've said this before........if I was a juror, I would be angry at all these lengthy sidebars and delays. They have to be upset with all this, and now they're going to remain sequestered through the long 4th of July weekend.

Does it matter if he skimmed over it? Isn't the door open?

It had happened once before and the SA agreed not to pursue it because it wasn't worth the risk of an opportunity for appeal. Even HHJP told the defense that the SA had given them a free pass or something along those lines.

It was a mistake by Cindy NOT the DT. CM is another story. HE KNOWS BETTER.

BUT......After a certain point.....free passes expire.

Perhaps an attorney could weigh in as I am not one and don't want to offer incorrect info.

Where did you hear CM ws heard yelling? I don't see where ICA and CM didn't get along in fact I see them getting alone very well.

I heard it here
I guess it's all relative but JB and Sims act like they are going out clubing after court CM just working at the J O B

She has one hand on the wall supporting her weight. Because of that and her stance it's my thought that the girl in this picture is closing the door, not opening it.

Plus, when I saw that, I thought..how does anyone know whether or not someone had already opened it for her..Very often with my own grandchildren I will *start* to open something for them and let them finish..It makes them feel like a 'big girl' to do that..

When I watch the video of the lawyers talking to the judge, I don't see animosity between Baez and Mason. They pat or touch each other on the back, seem to nod when the other is talking, etc. So it doesn't look to me as though there is a problem between them.

I was interested in the Judge's reaction to Baez saying "we're not going to do this" in reference to the witness who had new opinions and research in his presentation. He has a great poker face, but you could see him blinking in some surprise at the way Baez was acting.

This whole trial is very hard to watch.

Tink

Interesting that CA stated the dogs were acting tired and she thought it had to do with them eating the bamboo.....hence her searches for chloroform.

Maybe KC was practicing with chloroform on the dogs??

Maybe this is where ICA got the idea of making Caylee sleep with chloroform so she could party and not have babysitter issues or explain to Cindy her comings and goings.

I missed this morning's drama, had to run my DH to the hospital. I am confused as to why court is in recess. If anyone could give me some possible reasons (I realize it's speculation at this point), I would greatly appreciate ! TIA !

I have tried to read some of the previous pages, on this thread, but am still left confused.

It's hard to tell. There was another argument between JA and JB about JB trying to sneak in new opinions from his expert in violation of the rules of discovery and HHJP said he would review the depo and the report and the new visual aids just handed to the state to see if they matched. JB, despite his blustering that JA was making things up, did not like that and said he would offer testimony without the offending visual aids or without the info JA claimed was "new". JB stated: "He has plenty to say [without that]."

But HHJP wasn't having that and said he would review before this next expert testified. I think he doesn't trust JB at all since JB has violated before.

Then CM uttered something hard to hear and there was a sidebar. It appears to have been on another issue. Then, the defendant and her team went into the back room and I guess then HHJP joined them WITHOUT the state or a court reporter, which is highly, highly unusual.

After awhile, they all came out and HHJP announced that trial was recessed until Monday.

People are speculating that there is a problem with the lawyers for the defense. There are some other speculations that are not probable since those, like discovery issues, evidentiary issues or complaints about witness tampering, would necessarily include the state in chambers.

I'm not clear about what you are asking. Who is "they"?

I laughed. It means that this is a very inexperienced attorney. Judge Perry actually instructed him, in front of the jury, after that, word for word, how to lay a foundation to get the picture authenticated by CA. Perry knew JB needed help after that! Wow!

Cindy can be combative (although I'm pretty sure she's now in the tank for the defense), and I half expected her to challenge Baez by saying something like, "Can you repeat the question. I have no idea what you mean. Of course, this is a picture of what it's a picture of... Why would you even ask, you dolt? What else would it be? Who talks like that?"
:great:

I missed this morning's drama, had to run my DH to the hospital. I am confused as to why court is in recess. If anyone could give me some possible reasons (I realize it's speculation at this point), I would greatly appreciate ! TIA !

I have tried to read some of the previous pages, on this thread, but am still left confused.

What happened to DH? I pray it wasn't something more than being careful and alarm!

Could be - I keep remembering how he complained about the hours at jury selection and said he just couldn't handle that. My source is pretty good and knows people who have worked with CM for years. A lot of others who know of his reputation say he just isn't himself the last few months. I think the pace of this has been pretty brutal. I wondered why he left abruptly at 5 the other day. Could be he is fed up with JB and could be he isn't doing well.

Frankly, I've always thought that CM joined at the request of HHJP (they are said to play golf together) to babysit JB and make sure he didn't get too out of control to avoid a mistrial or a boatload of appealable issues (especially after the other attorneys bailed and ICA was declared indigent and it was apparent JB had done nothing but waste her money). In earlier hearings, he would only get up and talk if it was something that directly impacted the defendant's rights and kept out of most of the frivolous motions JB was filing. I have a feeling that it's been a challenge, though. JB is probably a lot like his defendant and her mother. Nobody tells them what to do.

According to Mason he had been giving Baez tips and advice for months prior to joining and this would have been before Judge Perry was on the case, so I don't think Perry had anything to do with Mason joining. I do think Mason is not keeping up with the pace that seems quite obvious, he does not look well, he looks exhausted.

KC anthony did not seem all giddy to be getting to go into the chambers with everyone. Something is up with her, otherwise she would have strutted her stuff going in there. No gabbing, so maybe she did want JB to ask if the State would give her a plea. The meeting without SA could have been for them to talk it over with her. Maybe just maybe she cried yesterday when seeing LA testify, and decided she did not want to put GA there after all.
A plea could happen any time.
As for the yelling, maybe the judge wants to know who the scheduled witnesses are, and what their point is. Yesterday didn't have anything to do with the facts in this case.

I watched grammy, baez is also a 'liar' and was attacking Ashton. I'm surprised HHJP allowed baez to speak the way he did.

I had to quote this. Completely off topic, but, when I read this post, the two people to "thank" this were:

BigFatMommyDog, Waddles

:floorlaugh:

I'm loopy. Don't mind me lol.

If the state is generous enough to offer this girl a plea deal, she should take it. But JA's words yesterday that they had ALOT for the rebuttal doesn't say they offered to me. IMO
ICA can plead "guilty" at any time. That doesn't need approval by the SA.

I just got here and have read half the thread. Is it true ICA sent a paper to GA and CA and they were all crying? Does anyone think she was begging her dad to lie about the molestation since LA didn't?

I didn't see anyone at all crying today, and I've watched it live and then a second time taped on wesh where they showed GA and CA for quite a while, and iCA in close up.

ICA blew and picked her nose, threw out the tissue and was done with it - no tears, no eye wiping or poking. Just your average nose blow and then some digging around in her nose with the tissue. Face blank. Not even her horns were showing, no forehead wrinkles.

And then many minutes of ICA looking blankly at computer screens and chatting to DS next to her and then looking around as attorneys came in. She didn't look remotely upset, or happy, or anything. Her typical court face.

CA was in the gallery next to GA, and she was chatting very animatedly to the young man sitting on her other side (other side than GA). CA smiled a lot in that conversation. GA looked bored, perhaps serious and lost in thought at times, blew his nose as if he had allergies or something -not continuously, just once or twice, and was chatting and gesturing totally normally around the courtroom, or staring blankly, or looking at something in his lap (bible?).

If someone cried, it wasn't on the WESH broadcast.

The DOD works in a chain command . No way did they get the clearance to inturupt the DR that quick.

And if they did or they right guy saw it ,he cant single handedly make any calls on someones job.

Of course he can, if it was the right guy. The policy is cut and dry. NO TESTIFYING without prior permission. If a superior of Rodriquez saw him on tv then he could easily , single handedly, call and threaten his job.

:floorlaugh: Yesterday he said something like "does that picture accurately reflect what it's a picture of?" (Those weren't the exact words, but you get the idea!) Me: WTF? :waitasec:

Actually…I think those ARE the exact words he used. :waitasec:

Sigh…You can't fix STUPID!

Did anyone else notice LKB's appearance on TV today.

LKB...not to ever be confused with Linda Drane Burdick......looked like she hadn't slept in days.

LKB always has on a "full face" of makeup.....and at times.....a "face and a half". Today, she looked pale and as if she didn't bother.

She was caught off guard and didn't expect to have to appear so early in the day. Once all the hoopla happened she was needed to make a quick assessment LIVE . JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper