2011.07.05 Sidebar Thread

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody have a link to video of State's closing/Defense closing? I have a co-worker who wants to watch it. TIA

O/T:

I think I may be a horrible mother. My mother never took me to the gyno. I went myself when I was 18 for birth control pills. I never took my daughter to the gyno either though I did take her to many doctor appts as she was growing up. She is now 23 and obviously makes her own doctor appts now. But I'm feeling weird now that I never insisted she see the gyno though we've always been very open about talking about everything.

I wish that the SP had brought up, in the closing argument, another one of ICA lies. The one in which she claims that she had just spoken to Caylee on July 15. This was a complete fabrication that has been proven through phone records etc.
Since this is included in her statement to the police and in her interview at Universal, I assume they figured since it is in these...no reason to bring it up.
I just wish that they had.

I'm glad someone brought this up cos it's my sig..That's how IMP this particular LIE is to me.

eta..And how much it SICKENS me!

I think JB is a ham. I dont think it was in good taste to throw the guns. Thats unprofessional, but just cause he's had money problems doesnt make him a bad guy. he should be a responsible adult yes. However, he isnt that experienced as Ashton and he did make mistakes, but I dont begrudge him at all in his no holds barred, scorched earth tactics. There is nothing legally unethical about what he has done. He takes cues from his client. Casey destroyed her family and not JB. Thats all I'm saying. Every law student knows that you have to put aside your emotions or what you feel about your client and work FOR them. So if you cant throw people under the bus then dont be a defense attorney. It's not for the faint of heart. You will defend murders, abusers, and criminals. Thats the path they have chosen. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. It's how our system is. I cant believe I am defending JB, but I'm all about fairness and I admire attorneys. I use to want to be one.

As for JVM's olympic sprint towards the DT yesterday, that was priceless! I watch that video at least 3 times a day. Me and my DH laughed so hard. She looked like a fool.

And therein lies a huge problem in our system. Just from observing this case one can easily see that there are a few "sacred cows" in the legal system that are probably overdue for re-examination by the states legislatures and governors.

1. The civil immunity granted to lawyers for things they say in court is currently extended far to broadly to the now almost constant detriment of normal everyday citizens. The lawyers now seem to be completely immune from repercussions regarding anything they say about anyone anywhere. Hence the new word in use "kronked". This really does need to be tightened up, or at the very least some bar regulations need to be actively and aggressively enforced. That immunity is a privelege granted to attorneys by the citizenry. If they cannot play nice with it, it should go away.

2. Change of Venue. This has become way to common. Far more that the system ever intended. We have bent over so far backwards in order to extend to the defendant every possible advantage (not right, advantage) in order to cancel some imaginary bias, that we have effectively stripped our citizenry and our communities of their rather clear and intended ability to deal with matters of justice in their community. This is wrong. The standard or bar for any change of venue must be raised tenfold. It should be reserved only for those rare cases where the system itself has come under attack. A good example of when to allow a change of venue would be the Atlanta Courthouse shootings. Where the local legal system was a direct element of the crime charged. Anything else should remain local. The simple act of media coverage should not strip a community of it's duly constitutionally granted powers to try its crimes.

3. Sequestered Juries. See above for Change of Venue. The state has no business essentially kidnapping and imprisoning citizens in this manner in order to fulfill its purpose. Sequestration should be an insanely high bar to reach. It should primarily only be used when there is a clear or suspected threat to the jury itself.

just my 2c.

Can someone please slip a note to the jury? LG asks they not return a verdict for half an hour because she has to walk her very anxious pups?

Thanks so much. They seem like a nice bunch - I'm sure they will understand.

Everyone.... :shush:

Let's pretend they came back while LG is gone! :giggle:

You've got to remember there are a lot of people who even actually "VOTE" based on "sound-bite news" and "campaign commercials". That's it - that's all the research they ever do on a candidate. :banghead:

It's the unfortuate fallout of the diminshed attention span of 90% of today's population.

There are times I fear for the human race.

Like Logical Girl you nailed it and this sound bite voting on guilt/not guilt or candidates is part of the instant gratificaiton society.

I'm not saying that all DT are like that, but to be honest with you guys the really good ones are. When they defend a rapist what happens? They bring up the sexual history and behavior of the rape victim. They will bring in who she dated and what she did with who and why. It almost becomes as if the victim is on trial. This is just one example of what a good criminal defense lawyer does.

When corporations get caught stealing money from clients. Those defense attorneys go over and over with the accountants on how the books can be interpeted as something else.

This happens everyday. I dont understand how you sleuthers could be shocked over this...

I didn't say I was shocked. I said I was sad that this the is best we have.

I see Mr. Hornsby here this morning.....

Richard, can you tell us what the vibe is, in your area, as to what the verdict will be.

Thanks for being here!

Lets just say-I am very happy you are here Mr.Hornsby!

Geez Louise! I was perfectly fine just sitting here and following along with you all - I punched up the WESH YouTube site and they're setting up the chairs and the mics and now I am freaking out.

Some woman on the reflector feed came on and said "I have an announcement". Geez it almost gave me a heart attack. I thought she was going to announce the verdict was back or a mistrial or something. But no - she just chose a very foolish way to test the microphones. :maddening:

Also I saw discussion of KCs hands. They look weird to me too. I came to the conclusion that there is no difference in size between her wrists and her actual hands. Her hands don't get wider after the wrists at all.

It is confusing! I looked around a bit and what I found is that the jury began deliberations on November 3rd 2004. They reached a verdict on November
12th 2004.

There is probably a thread or two here from the "verdict watch" that would give a good reference for the timeframe. Let me see if I can find it.

Salem

I think this whole trial has turned into JB’s audition tape to be the anchor of a new telemundo show on trials and crimes. The telemundo guy was in the courtroom much of the time.

Is it just me or is anyone else nervous, constantly wondering what the jury is discussing, how many of them are going against the grain.

I want a verdict now.. every hour that passes I keep taking it as bad news that they are actually considering that she is not quilty. I am on pins and needles.. worried

All rise for the jury.

HHJP: Members of the jury hope you had a good lunch.

JB: Mrs. Anthony is it fair to say you and Casey are very much alike?

in many ways yes

JB: in fact is that not what you hear often?

in most ways, yes

JB: you raised Case to be a good person, caring, loving?

yes

JB: you raised Casey to always tell the truth.

yes I did

JB: you got to see what kind of mother Casey was?

yes I did, she was a caring mother, a easy quick mothering instinct that was evident as soon as Caylee was born, like me how natural she was with Caylee.

JB: how did Caylee respond to Casey?

Casey adored her mom. Her eyes would light up, she didn't want to sleep without her mom.

JB: Casey went everywhere with KC?

yes

JB: she would cry everytime?

not if I was there, I didn't know if I was gone.

JB: you never witnessed Casey torture or abuse Caylee?

no

19 being in the medical profession you never took her to the gyno?

it is traumatic and I didn't go till I was older, she was having symptoms like me, we are a lot a like in that way.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138056&page=2

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night but I'm still not understanding what the big Aha moment was supposed to be for the jury nurses.

IMO she was talking about having bloating and bad periods. Of course, this was just Cindy talking it up about why she didn't notice Casey was pregnant. Her not noticing Casey was pregant in the first place is just Cindy not wanting the world to see her family was not the All American Perfect Family. Cindy is all about appearances, IMO. Her ego is bigger than just about anything I've ever seen.

Well im at work, so the only thing I can watch is the WTFV feed. I have always felt the need to defend JB, but I just havent spoken up before. I'm not saying that JB is the best attorney in the world or anything. It's just that I've read people saying things like JB is just as bad or like Casey. What? I totally disagree. Any defense attorney taking on a high profile case like this is looking to make or enhance their career. They sure aint doing it out of kindness or money. They are looking to make a name for themselves. The OJ Simpson team is one example how one case can make an attorney a household name. Cases like this bring more high paying clients.

I just cant see JB as a villian. If he is a villian then so is CM and the others. They have also worked hard on this case as well. I just dont think it is fair to emotionalize a defense attorney's motives or the tactics used during a case. It may seem ruthless to the average person, but thats how the game is played in court. Its competitive. Go hard or go home. You are there to win at all cost for your client. I would think if JB didnt anything remotely illegal or unlawful he would have been in trouble or possible pulled from the case. The goal is to win and not feel sorry for that person. Feeling sorry for them wont get them acquitted.

With most lawyers its never personal when it comes to their clients. If they get convicted or set free its nothing like having a close relationship with a family member or friend. You have to seperate those emotions or you will get caught up. Its hard especially if you are working with that person for years, but I honestly dont see JB as that kind of person to get too attached to his client. He did his job and now he's probably ready for it to end.

I certainly don't blame him for being her attorney...but they are very much alike in my mind...so is Cindy for that matter. Does that mean I think Cindy or JB would commit murder....NO, it does not. I just think none of them are very nice people...JMO

There is probably a thread or two here from the "verdict watch" that would give a good reference for the timeframe. Let me see if I can find it.

Salem

If you are talking about Scott P. it was 31 hours over 9 days...in total. At least that is what I am finding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member