2012.02.07 - 911 Tapes Released

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My way of dealing with awful situations is to go into action. Helping, organizing things, taking control. But when I am physically not a part of the situation and can not take an active role I analyze. What happened, why did it happen, what can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again. Like a lot of posters on here that can't think about the technical aspects right now, I can't think about the emotional aspect-it is something I know I can't handle.
I hope all the posters on here realize we are all grieving.

DITTO. And THIS thread is about the transcripts so analyzing the timeline associated with it seems completely appropriate to me. Yes, to me there's a big difference between 5 minutes and 25 minutes on what could have been done differently that day.

This forum is full of armchair generals ?? And I disagree that it rarely does any good - it's the very thing prompts change and improvement. The "proper" people were in charge and the system failed. It can be better. If you don't agree, so be it but don't dismiss those of us who want to discuss it. It's what the site is all about.

That's not really what the site is about and we've been told over and over by the ones who run this site that bashing of the SW wasn't allowed.

So if it's so important for some to find blame, especially when it comes to the SW, people should at least attempt to keep the facts straight and in context.

The SW was not to blame yet time and again the reasons behind putting the blame on her were inaccurate.

Also, the implication being made is that she was improperly trained and made major mistakes, that a well trained person wouldn't have made, which is the same as saying that had she been properly trained she could have prevented what happened. That's wrong.

JMHO

My way of dealing with awful situations is to go into action. Helping, organizing things, taking control. But when I am physically not a part of the situation and can not take an active role I analyze. What happened, why did it happen, what can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again. Like a lot of posters on here that can't think about the technical aspects right now, I can't think about the emotional aspect-it is something I know I can't handle.
I hope all the posters on here realize we are all grieving.

And it is good to move into action, even if it is to micro analyze a situation. It leads to increased learning and improved problem solving skills. RN's pick everything apart over and over again almost obsessively.

So you think if LE would have gotten there 7 or 8 minutes earlier it would have really made a difference?

He was chopping at their necks and lighting gas.

I agree the dispatcher could have handled things quicker but I do not think IN THIS CASE it would have made one bit of difference.

Those boys were going to die that day.
Regardless of what Josh intended, it doesn't mean everyone else should just give up and make it easy for him!!! If the dispatcher delayed relaying the SW's call in the least, he was guilty of negligence! A faster response time by the fire department may have saved the boys lives- it was smoke inhalation they died of, not the neck injuries.

DITTO. And THIS thread is about the transcripts so analyzing the timeline associated with it seems completely appropriate to me. Yes, to me there's a big difference between 5 minutes and 25 minutes on what could have been done differently that day.

Please just hang on and save this discussion.

I am going to generate a new timeline thread.

Let this go for now and I will come back and provide a link.

That's not really what the site is about and we've been told over and over by the ones who run this site that bashing of the SW wasn't allowed.

So if it's so important for some to find blame, especially when it comes to the SW, people should at least attempt to keep the facts straight and in context.

The SW was not to blame yet time and again the reasons behind putting the blame on her were inaccurate.

Also, the implication being made is that she was improperly trained and made major mistakes, that a well trained person wouldn't have made, which is the same as saying that had she been properly trained she could have prevented what happened. That's wrong.

JMHO
Who here is blaming her??? I find the delay to be with the 911 dispatcher! I didn't read that she was more worried about her car- I think she moved it so it wouldn't blow up- smart move on her part!

In my simple mind, I imagine all 911 systems are computerized by now. As the 911 operator takes the information, it is being entered into the system. I would think all it takes is the push of a button to send out a dispatch notice. It's not like the 911 operator has to call LE in the field and mane get a busy signal and have to keep calling back. Sorry, no I'm not really sorry, the 911 operator was negligent! He was just as bad as the 911 operator that handled the call from the little boy whose mother needed help and chose to admonish him for making prank calls, the mother was dead when help arrived!

It isn't like that. As nice as that would be. The 911 dispatcher relays the info to the system. They are required to get as much information as they can for the responders. THAT IS THIER JOB. Yes, some make mistakes as they are only human, but MOST do their job and then some. Tell me of any other profession, where when you make a mistake, everyone just "gets over it". These people take their job very seriously. I still think this mand is being treated unfairly. He had no idea from that inital call what was to come.

Did he seem like a jerk? Maybe... but it wasn't his fault! I wish WS would be as diligent in his defense as with the lady who was the supervisor. He did nothing wrong.

She shouldn't need to. She has her very own thread full of support and kind words.

She might benefit from reading this thread. It would help her with the grieving process, showing that she did nothing wrong!

The caseworker made two phone calls. The initial one, 6:49 minutes, and a second one right afterward when the fire started. We know from the dispatch transcripts that firetrucks and LE were on the way while she was still on the phone. I'll go find that link. If there was a seven or eight minute delay in dispatching rescue, it was from the time the first call was initiated. Not after it ended.

http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/02/911-audio-from-josh-powells-sister-boys-caseworker/

As for locating her with GPS, with Enhanced 911, the FCC requires wireless providers to provide locations to a PSAP within 50 to 300 meters.

"Under Phase II, the FCC requires wireless carriers, within six months of a valid request by a PSAP, to begin providing information that is more precise to PSAPs, specifically, the latitude and longitude of the caller. This information must meet FCC accuracy standards, generally to within 50 to 300 meters, depending on the type of technology used. The deployment of E9-1-1 requires the development of new technologies and upgrades to local 9-1-1 PSAPs, as well as coordination among public safety agencies, wireless carriers, technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, and local wireline carriers."

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/911-services/enhanced911/Welcome.html

Regardless of what Josh intended, it doesn't mean everyone else should just give up and make it easy for him!!! If the dispatcher delayed relaying the SW's call in the least, he was guilty of negligence! A faster response time by the fire department may have saved the boys lives- it was smoke inhalation they died of, not the neck injuries.

Well said LinasK!:woohoo:

Would still like info as to time of first call to 911 and time of arrival of help.

She might benefit from reading this thread. It would help her with the grieving process, showing that she did nothing wrong!

What? Have you read some of the comments about her in this thread?

How would it help her to read that she was wrong becasue she banged on the door, how would it help her to read that she wasted too much time? Or that she waited 10 minutes before calling 911? That she was more worried about her car than the kids?

It isn't like that. As nice as that would be. The 911 dispatcher relays the info to the system. They are required to get as much information as they can for the responders. THAT IS THIER JOB. Yes, some make mistakes as they are only human, but MOST do their job and then some. Tell me of any other profession, where when you make a mistake, everyone just "gets over it". These people take their job very seriously. I still think this mand is being treated unfairly. He had no idea from that inital call what was to come.

Did he seem like a jerk? Maybe... but it wasn't his fault! I wish WS would be as diligent in his defense as with the lady who was the supervisor. He did nothing wrong.

The 911 operator should be fired!

The caseworker made two phone calls. The initial one, 6:49 minutes, and a second one right afterward when the fire started. We know from the dispatch transcripts that firetrucks and LE were on the way while she was still on the phone. I'll go find that link. If there was a seven or eight minute delay in dispatching rescue, it was from the time the first call was initiated. Not after it ended.

http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/02/911-audio-from-josh-powells-sister-boys-caseworker/

As for locating her with GPS, with Enhanced 911, the FCC requires wireless providers to provide locations to a PSAP within 50 to 300 meters.

"Under Phase II, the FCC requires wireless carriers, within six months of a valid request by a PSAP, to begin providing information that is more precise to PSAPs, specifically, the latitude and longitude of the caller. This information must meet FCC accuracy standards, generally to within 50 to 300 meters, depending on the type of technology used. The deployment of E9-1-1 requires the development of new technologies and upgrades to local 9-1-1 PSAPs, as well as coordination among public safety agencies, wireless carriers, technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, and local wireline carriers."

http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/911-services/enhanced911/Welcome.html

Thank you Bessie!!!! Do you know the time she arrived there with the kids, or her scheduled arrival time for the visit?

Emmm, if the dispatcher in #7 thought the call was "just a domestic disturbance" it would seem even more prudent to give the caller priority seeing as how something like 60% of murdered children are killed by a family member or someone living in the home....

Not saying he DID think that, just jumping off another poster's idea.

I don't think it would have made a difference in this case, and no one but JP is to blame, but what if a different attitude could save a life the next time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMHO

:tyou: And with that I'm stepping away from this thread for a bit in order to preserve my membership here. :seeya:

Linask... I rarley disagree with you.... BUT - Who made anything easier for him? I will keep saying it over and over and over and over.... 911 dispatchers are communicating with the field constantly. They are in contact with the field as they are talking to you.... there is no delay. They communicate the info as they get it. As the police are en route... the get info.... that is how it works.

Sheesh... i need to re-post Herding Cats post.!

Everyone is looking for blame.... Josh Powell is the only person to blame!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabrina Sleuth
Back