2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yup, lots of rain in a short period of time. Half of my backyard flooded and I'm not in a flood zone.

A moisture-laden storm currently pummeling Florida has dumped more rain on Sarasota in only 24 hours than the city received over a five-day period during Hurricane Ian in 2022.

A plume of moisture from the Caribbean is bringing excessive rain to the region. Meteorologists previously expected the heaviest rains to occur from Wednesday to Friday, but downpours have already brought a deluge to southwestern Florida, including in Fort Myers and Sarasota. So much rain fell in only one hour in Sarasota that it broke a 52-year-old record by nearly an inch on Tuesday evening.
Ugh. I'm over here on the east coast but not seeing anything like that here thankfully. Please be safe!

Is there a lake behind that hedge at the back of your yard?

We've gotten about 5" of rain the past 24 hours over here in the West Palm area. We are built for this so the only thing the rain has caused so far is a bunch of traffic accidents. Everybody forgets how to drive in the rain.

Ugh. I'm over here on the east coast but not seeing anything like that here thankfully. Please be safe!

Is there a lake behind that hedge at the back of your yard?

We've gotten about 5" of rain the past 24 hours over here in the West Palm area. We are built for this so the only thing the rain has caused so far is a bunch of traffic accidents. Everybody forgets how to drive in the rain.
That’s the wetland / retention pond a commercial property has to include when developing land. It’s about half full and has been bone dry for months. I fill 3 birdbaths now, just added my 3rd last week.

This is a bird sanctuary area. The birds were very aggressive, fighting over the water. One black bird literally killed another black bird over the winter. The blue jays are super aggressive. The other birds, doves/quails, robins, etc all play nice.

Attachments

• IMG_5001.jpeg
    IMG_5001.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 13
That’s the wetland / retention pond a commercial property has to include when developing land. It’s about half full and has been bone dry for months. I fill 3 birdbaths now, just added my 3rd last week.

This is a bird sanctuary area. The birds were very aggressive, fighting over the water. One black bird literally killed another black bird over the winter. The blue jays are super aggressive. The other birds, doves/quails, robins, etc all play nice.
We have a large pond/small lake behind our house. It’s over 20’ deep in the middle. It has been very dry but plenty of water in it still. This hasn’t made much of a dent in getting it back to full.

Attachments

• IMG_4698.jpg
    IMG_4698.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 10

Watching for new tropical activity next week: a Central American gyre will develop and get drawn northwestward towards the Yucatan Peninsula and Bay of Campeche. This type of system is quite large and broad, and typically takes multiple days to consolidate into a tropical storm, presuming it stays over water for a long enough time to allow it.

For now, model guidance suggests a tropical depression or storm could form in the western Gulf of Mexico, but it's not a slam-dunk given potentially limited time over water. No coherent circulation has developed yet, so details remain murky. @noaahurricanes currently gives a 50% chance of tropical development. Regardless, #CentralAmerica and portions of southeastern #Mexico will likely receive a lot of heavy rainfall, leading to flooding and mudslide hazards.

Look out for a possible video on this at some point this weekend.

Yup, here we go.... Alberto has arrived....

NHC has pulled the trigger and named Tropical Storm #Alberto in the western Gulf of Mexico, giving us our first official storm of the 2024 hurricane season. It remains a highly broad storm with far-reaching impacts. Storm surge flooding is occurring near Galveston Bay, #Texas, and both inland and coastal flooding hazards will be possible in southern Texas and eastern #Mexico through Thursday. Hopefully those who need rain benefit but don't receive too much. Stay safe today.

Tropical Tidbits
Deaths due to Alberto (BBM below)

#Alberto has moved ashore in #Mexico, and continues to dump heavy rain there. Rains are beginning to subside in #Texas.

Alberto was a "weak"' storm typical of June, but we define strength based on wind, when often water is more dangerous. Tragically, 17 people have died due to Alberto's water-related hazards: 3 in Mexico, 11 in El Salvador, and 3 in Guatemala.

My Aunt & Uncle in Sebastian FL may see some rain from this.

Invest #92L is tracking west-northwestward north of the Bahamas. A small circulation is closing off, but as discussed earlier this week, the environment is not favorable for much intensification, as the system is entangled with an upper-level trough and a dry air mass. 92L could briefly become a tropical depression before moving ashore in the southeastern U.S., bringing showers and gusty winds as high as 30-35 mph to northern #Florida, coastal #Georgia, and coastal #SouthCarolina on Friday. Follow your local @nws office for details.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meadams14
Back