2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/article289656352.html (paywall)

"It’s bad and we have not seen the worst yet. The next few hours are going to be worse,” St. Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves told the Miami Herald in an interview around noon on Monday as the core of the storm approached. “As it reaches close to us, we will be getting the full effect of the hurricane.” Gonsalves said the eye’s passage over the southern Grenadines “has caused severe damage in Grenada and we are getting the other bands of the wind.” “We’re getting lots of rains, massive wave action. A lot of houses have lost their roofs and the brunt hasn’t hit us yet,” Gonsalves said. “In Carriacou they’ve lost a lot of roofs, and in Union Islands.”

I'm speechless, it's only the first day of July and this happens. Beryl's the earliest Atlantic Category 5 on record, beating 2005 Hurricane Emily by 15 days.

...BERYL BECOMES A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE IN THE EASTERN CARIBBEAN......EXPECTED TO BRING LIFE-THREATENING WINDS AND STORM SURGE TO JAMAICA LATER THIS WEEK...

11:00 PM AST Mon Jul 1
Moving: WNW at 22 mph
Min pressure: 938 mb
Max sustained: 160 mph

Last edited:

There were “widespread reports of destruction and devastation in Carriacou and Petite Martinique,” Grenada Prime Minister Dickon Mitchell said in a Monday news briefing. “In half an hour, Carriacou was flattened.”
I noticed the islands they're naming are north of St George's University. Kiddo said the electric was restored to the school yesterday and the curfew was lifted.

The new students orientation is Aug 13th. My oldest daughter is going with my youngest (the new student) on Aug 8th to help her get set up. However, now that the hurricane has destroyed so much, most of the main island has no electric and no forms of communications.

All the hotels and resorts are booked out for the arrival week. The school is not offering any help to the incoming family members. They found an AirBnB and have it reserved but, there's a closer AirBnB, except they can't reach the owner. This has to be a nightmare for the locals. Their economy is going to take a huge hit for a good 10 years. This kind of devastation is life altering.

1719939754954.png

I noticed the islands they're naming are north of St George's University. Kiddo said the electric was restored to the school yesterday and the curfew was lifted.

The new students orientation is Aug 13th. My oldest daughter is going with my youngest (the new student) on Aug 8th to help her get set up. However, now that the hurricane has destroyed so much, most of the main island has no electric and no forms of communications.

All the hotels and resorts are booked out for the arrival week. The school is not offering any help to the incoming family members. They found an AirBnB and have it reserved but, there's a closer AirBnB, except they can't reach the owner. This has to be a nightmare for the locals. Their economy is going to take a huge hit for a good 10 years. This kind of devastation is life altering.

View attachment 514923

Hmm, I am just glad that your kids are not there now. Might have some changes to the plan.

Beryl has weakened back to a Category 4.

..EYE OF BERYL PASSING SOUTH OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC......EXPECTED TO BRING LIFE-THREATENING WINDS AND STORM SURGE TOJAMAICA ON WEDNESDAY...

2:00 PM AST Tue Jul 2
Min pressure: 943 mb
Max sustained: 155 mph

Beryl hasn't weakened much at all

...DANGEROUS HURRICANE BERYL EXPECTED TO BRING LIFE-THREATENING WINDS AND STORM SURGE TO JAMAICA ON WEDNESDAY AND THE CAYMAN ISLANDS WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY...

11:00 PM EDT Tue Jul 2
Min pressure: 947 mb
Max sustained: 150 mph

This monster just won’t quit.

At least seven people have died in the hurricane, according to authorities. It is now a very strong Category 4, with sustained winds of 150 mph and was the earliest Category 5 on record in the Atlantic.
some coworkers are supposed to go to Jamaica in a week- I asked them "Aren't you worried about this hurricane? " they said oh, no, we're going next week... :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back