2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
WOW. The North Carolina Department of Transportation warning that all roads in Western North Carolina should be considered closed. I-40 and I-26 are impassable in multiple locations. Travel in this area for non-emergency purposes is hindering needed emergency response.

Western NC is devastated with many of the small towns completely gone now. People have no power, communication, and are trapped on roofs with no way out. Unimaginable tragedy. Helene flooding is 'catastrophic natural disaster' in Western NC: Live updates
"Dozens killed. Hospital-goers scrambling to rooftops to be whisked away in helicopters. Mayors frantically telling citizens to flee. And inmates desperately removed from a jail directly in the path of floodwaters.

Helene has brought a cascade of destruction across the Southeast. The record-breaking storm hit Florida as a hurricane with wind speeds of 140 mph that flattened buildings. It has since weakened to a post-tropical cyclone with 25 mph winds, as floodwaters besieged parts of North Carolina and Tennessee and utilities reported 3.8 million power outages Saturday morning."

(Nolichucky Dam Update) The Nolichucky River has crested, and the dam remains intact. Water is currently receding by approximately one foot per hour. Our Dam Safety teams are in the process of assessing the condition of the dam to determine next steps.We are estimating water levels reached 8 feet over the record elevation.

Resources available for those impacted by Hurricane Helene

Help Call Lines

• Residents in need of information can call the State Assistance Information line at 1-800-342-3557 for resources before and after Helene. Assistance is available in English, Spanish and Creole.
  • The Disaster Legal Hotline is open to assist and refer callers at 833-514-2940.
  • For free assistance for affected homeowners and assistance from volunteers in clean-up, residents can call the Samaritan’s Purse hotline at 1-833-747-1234 or the Florida Baptists Disaster Relief Public Assistance at 904-253-0502 or text Helene to 27123
  • For local Social Services referrals and information regarding school closures, call 2-1-1.
  • Residents can call the Red Cross Hotline at 1-800-733-2767.
  • For crisis cleanup, residents can call 844-965-1386.

I always wondered why the deadly storms/hurricanes have feminine names? :oops:
Irma, Katrina, Helene ...

So I decided to check.

And...
For several decades, hurricanes were named only by female names.

In the late 1970s,
under the influence of feminist protests,
names began to be used alternately, female and male ones.

In order to avoid misunderstandings,
to avoid giving two different names to the same cyclone by mistake,
to avoid giving two phenomena the same name in a short period of time,
the list of names is established well in advance.

And so a list of names was created for each letter of the alphabet.

Then,
six sets were made of them,
each with 21 names,
which were arranged in alphabetical order.

One set is valid every year.

The same one will not be repeated until 6 years later.

Sometimes
names are crossed out from the list.
This happens when a cyclone named after a given name has reaped an exceptionally bloody harvest.

In place of the crossed out name,
at international meteorological conferences, another name is chosen.

It must start with the same letter
and must be a female name (if a female name is crossed out),
or a male name
(if a male name is crossed out).

In 2005,
Hurricane Katrina devastated the US coast.
You will look in vain for this name on the list.
The same as Sandy, Mitch or Tracy.

Off topic maybe,
but I find it interesting.

Last edited:
I always wondered why the deadly storms/hurricanes have feminine names? :oops:
Irma, Katrina, Helen ...

So I decided to check.

And...
For several decades, hurricanes were named only by female names.

In the late 1970s,
under the influence of feminist protests,
names began to be used alternately, female and male ones.

In order to avoid misunderstandings, to avoid giving two different names to the same cyclone by mistake, to avoid giving two phenomena the same name in a short period of time,
the list of names is established well in advance.

And so a list of names was created for each letter of the alphabet.

Then,
six sets were made of them,
each with 21 names,
which were arranged in alphabetical order.

One set is valid every year.

The same one will not be repeated until 6 years later.

Sometimes names are crossed out from the list.
This happens when a cyclone named after a given name has reaped an exceptionally bloody harvest.

In place of the crossed out name, at international meteorological conferences, another name is chosen.

It must start with the same letter and must be a female name (if a female name is crossed out), or a male name (if a male name is crossed out).

In 2005,
Hurricane Katrina devastated the US coast.
You will look in vain for this name on the list.
The same as Sandy, Mitch or Tracy.

Off topic maybe,
but I find it interesting.
I was just thinking a little bit ago how the name Helene will be retired permanently. The devastation is profound.

I don’t think any meteorologist or gov’t agency could have predicted the perfect storm of flooding, old infrastructure, the number of states involved or even come close in estimating the financial impact.

I am sure there are lives lost due to unexpected & sudden flooding in states north of FL. Here we know what’s coming, when and have time to prepare or leave.

Floridians that have been here for a long time are a different breed. They’ve lived thru so many, they get over confident. The new arrivals in the last 3-4 years cannot fathom how bad it can be. So we lose people to the water. Objects fly in the wind, not people. People drown.

I listened to a reporter speak to a man in Perry FL stating how he didn’t think it would be this bad. It didn’t matter that they were told this storms surge was unsurvivable. He stayed. Now he says he’ll never stay again, he’ll evacuate. He had a choice, chose foolishly, but he lived to be given another chance.

All my opinion. Lived in FL most of my life, on each coast. I’m in a concrete block house with a 6 y/o shingle roof. My butts outta here if a CAT 3 is really close. I had everyone on alert for Helene, that I was headed their way if necessary.

I lived thru the eye of Hurricane David in 1979 (CAT 5, 175 MPH winds) at the age of 17. Back then you didn’t understand what was coming at you. Now we do.

:(

1727561617615.jpeg

The weather system left a trail of destruction stretching from Florida's Horseshoe Beach (pictured)
to the Carolinas,
killing at least 55 people.

1727561788887.jpeg

Homes and businesses were destroyed across Florida's Big Bend region (pictured) after Helene made landfall on Thursday night.

1727561983189.jpeg

Images of the aftermath across Florida appeared apocalyptic :(

Last edited:
Is the Missing People In America facebook page an okay source? They're collecting pictures/info for people currently unaccounted for in affected areas. I know ordinarily we wait for official missing reports but, oh, it's gonna be bad for a while I fear.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serge
Back