2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation will investigate allegations involving Erwin-based Impact Plastics’ leadership’s actions during Friday’s flooding, the local district attorney announced.”

Last edited:
I understand Fort Bragg/Liberty has quite a few helicopters that could be deployed to help stranded people...

But this administration has not given the "go ahead" yet...

I wonder why this is?

Hello from the heart of Appalachia! Been a tough couple of days, but I got spotty service today. I have not seen the pictures from surrounding areas yet and for that I am grateful. My daughter and her family were finally able to flee Asheville when I40 East opened today. I am so grateful! I am in Brevard NC. And it's like the Truman Show, disaster all around me, but here I'm in a bubble. Lights on downtown, everything's normal, except for until today no internet. Where i am there is still no power, sketchy internet, no water and I guess no way out. We kind of are in our bubble. I dunno pray, pray hard for Appalachia, I guess right now, sitting here watching humming birds go at my pineapple sage, pray so hard.
So thankful you are safe. Prayers continue for everyone that has been affected.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated with news from Appalachia. The situation there is very, very bad and it should be top news across the US. I’ve experienced hurricane floods in southeast NC. Things were very bad, with people in my community loosing everything, but this is a thousand times worse. There are so many people missing, with the official count at about 600, but in reality it is probably double that number.

I’ve worked in disaster relief and recovery. The logistics for this one are a nightmare, which is causing delays in the initial search and rescue phase. That’s the focus right now, with relief efforts just starting and still weeks away for some of the more remote areas. It breaks my heart.

Black Mountain was hit hard. I'm thinking of her also
Yesterday and today a group with pack mules made it up Black Mt with supplies. Sunday and everyday since Samantha's Purse is dropping water and food on the mt. I watched on flight aware Sunday and cried.
The major response has been volunteers, pilots bringing in supplies via choppers, now other aircraft. I think some roads are opening for supplies. Our community headed down yesterday with two tractor trailers packed with water, food, baby supplies, chain saws, etc. We have more coming tomorrow. Gods Pit Crew from Danville made it down Monday, they also helped GA, and hard hit southwest VA. GOC are amazing, they have a Blessing Bucket packed full for each person, food, chain saws and alot of hard working men. They even have heavy equipment.
I've not heard the NC National Guard is in Ashville, yet. Monday they received a donation of 3 Starlink receivers, a guy from OH flew in. A group from WVA flying in tomorrow with more. They operated for days over HAM radios.
Good source is FB page Scannerfood local to SW area, back road information, food/water distribution, missing person spreadsheet, etc.
The destruction is devastating, I have family in Ashville, TN and SW VA, I'm overwhelmed the worry, and alot of praying.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated with news from Appalachia. The situation there is very, very bad and it should be top news across the US. I’ve experienced hurricane floods in southeast NC. Things were very bad, with people in my community loosing everything, but this is a thousand times worse. There are so many people missing, with the official count at about 600, but in reality it is probably double that number.

I’ve worked in disaster relief and recovery. The logistics for this one are a nightmare, which is causing delays in the initial search and rescue phase. That’s the focus right now, with relief efforts just starting and still weeks away for some of the more remote areas. It breaks my heart.
I've worked disaster relief all up and down the East Coast. NC always had the best, forward thinking, extremely organized command centers, and boots on the ground quickly.
I'm not sure what happened this time. Not even the National Guard was in Ashville as of Monday.
Private choppers were in Ashville Sat. Samantha's Purse arrived Sat, set up medical side, food and water and did air food drop since Sunday. I spend most of Sat and Sunday checking Flight aware for TN, VA and NC.

VA and TN National Guard's were doing air evacuations Friday. VA was on the border airlifting folks and stopped to help evacuation the TN hospital. VA Governor staged all Water rescue teams from N VA, Eastern shore in SW VA on Thursday.

I'm shocked. It takes my breath away.

D16527E7-938F-47A9-B03E-90CC7F60B540.jpeg
Around 3pm today. Dark orange National Guard all other are private owner volunteers. The far right is Hickory airport, it’s a staging area, Asheville directly to the left. Trucks come into Hickory airport and volunteers airlift to Asheville it’s been like this most of the day. Hickory airport been the staging since Sat.

Far left is Eastern TN and the upper middle is SW Va.

Last edited:
I know of many local churches here in eastern South Carolina who have also been making trips up to North Carolina with truckloads of supplies. In fact, both our Sam’s Club and Costco are currently out of TP!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edlynch
Back