2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Reed Timmer, PhD
@ReedTimmerUSA
“The HMON model shows a category 4 Hurricane Milton taking the worst track possible for the Tampa, FL area. The exact track of Milton is CRUCIAL for who will see the worst storm surge. You do not want this track in the Tampa area. This model is an outlier on intensity, but a cat 2-3 fast-moving hurricane will have serious consequences in terms of storm surge”

I’m sorry this is happening again to you. Especially so soon after the last one.
I hope that model is wrong!!

1728190470465.png

1728190631434.png

Dr. Martin, the Florida ER physician watched her home flood on cctv during hurricane Helene is in the media. Her area is in for a direct hit with Hurricane Milton.

In her latest tiktok, she was giving the usual hurricane preparation advice, but said that extra caution is needed. Helene left a lot of debris in her wake that will become projectiles with Milton. She said that she knows supplies are limited, but more are expected in.

She’s a great advocate for those affected by the hurricanes.

View attachment 535745

View attachment 535747

Dr. Martin, the Florida ER physician watched her home flood on cctv during hurricane Helene is in the media. Her area is in for a direct hit with Hurricane Milton.

In her latest tiktok, she was giving the usual hurricane preparation advice, but said that extra caution is needed. Helene left a lot of debris in her wake that will become projectiles with Milton. She said that she knows supplies are limited, but more are expected in.

She’s a great advocate for those affected by the hurricanes.
I’ve seen her videos. The good thing about her is she’s direct and fact based. There’s been a huge influx of newbies to this area. They’ve never had to deal with flooding like this.

They don’t realize how toxic the water is. It’s raw sewage, chemicals, poisonous plants, sharp, broken objects, etc. Just imagine the snakes, rats, gators, roaches, fire ants and all kinds of biting stinging insects that are in the water.

Too many can’t grasp that they need to evacuate.

The police are limiting traffic onto the Asheville Highway Bridge over the Nolichucky River here in Greene County. The current GPS settings for truckers is sending them over that bridge which takes you into NC where it becomes NC SR 208. It's a winding, curvy road that goes up the side of a mountain to 4500 feet elevation and back down another mountain into Asheville. It's a tough drive even in a car on a dry sunny day. When the trucks can't go over the bridge then their GPS sends them to Lower Paint Creek Road which no longer exists due to being washed away in the French Broad River. 208 was where the truck jack -knifed in the morning and Paint Creek was where the other truck became stuck. State and federal officials are trying to have the truckers GPS corrected.
Thanks for the info.

read this about rescues in NC- had seen some people complaining that here were not enough rescue fights, etc.

puts things in perspective.
Hickory, Burlington, Greensboro, Raleigh are set up for Air Corp, private citizens. Trucks, cars, vans are rolling into these airports with locally donated supplies and have been since Mon. Many southern and central counties sent search and rescue, first responders and EMTs into the area on Monday. Our Sheriff's dept sent a team on Monday. Our community sent no less than 40 trailers of water, food, chain saws, diapers, etc since Monday and we are still collecting.

It's mainly locals and community support. FEMA brought in water and military ready to eat meals, to Ashville all other food is donated!!! World Kitchen dropped a portable kitchen, had a photo shoot Tues and turned everything over to locals.

Raleigh has massive Air Drop for hay and farm supplies. Dropping through out the area.

I commend all the private airline pilots who have donated supplies, paid for gas, and worked long hours in horrific conditions to teach WNC.

VA and TN had NG and search and rescue teams in place, announced school closures on Thurs, prior to the storm. Local news focused heavily on the storm and prep on Thurs. No one was fully prepared for vast amount of rain, we expected flooding but NOT like this.

Please continue to pray.
Moo

I know 2 crashed on the parkway, where they werent supposed to be anyway, is that where you're talking about? I could (almost) forgive them if they were from relief agencies, but I don't know where they were from. Do you?
They have closed the Blue Ridge Parkway from Mile 0 to around mile 400. This is devastating to the little shops/restaurants on the BRP, that rely heavily on fall tourism, many roads washed out, trees down, flooding.

"Kevin Guthrie,
head of Florida's Development of Emergency Management,
urged residents to prepare to evacuate ahead of the potentially 'life-threatening' storm surge.

'We are preparing for the largest evacuation we have seen since, most likely, 2017 Hurricane Irma',
he said.

He added:
'I urge Floridians to finalize your storm preparations now, enact your plan.
I highly encourage you to evacuate'.

And Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody
also gave a sinister warning to those who choose to defy the evacuation orders.

Moody said
that if Florida residents don't run for their lives,
they ought to write their name in permanent marker on their arms -
so rescue teams can identify their dead bodies when the haunting time comes."

:(

Last edited:
Ugh. My oldest is in Panama City Beach. She wants me to come up there after I finish at Moffitt Cancer Center tomorrow. She thinks we will lose power for days.

My friend KW is in a stilt house 12 miles south of me. She had a 5’ surge of water go under her rental house. She’s spooked for sure. I’ve offered her my place (concrete block, not in a flood or evacuation zone.) She may be able to stay at her brother in law’s house too.

I guess I’ll pack a Go Bag with essentials. I filled up my gas tank this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpeg
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 11
They have closed the Blue Ridge Parkway from Mile 0 to around mile 400. This is devastating to the little shops/restaurants on the BRP, that rely heavily on fall tourism, many roads washed out, trees down, flooding.
The whole situation is heartbreaking in so many ways. The loss of tourism makes it even worse. So many people impacted.

Here’s an update from the National Park Service. Hurricane Helene Recovery - Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)
“National Park Service assessment teams are still completing their initial inspections of the parkway, acquiring the data they will need to analyze the full impact of Hurricane Helene. Based on what the teams have seen so far, significant, and in some cases catastrophic, damage has occurred along the parkway, particularly from milepost 280 to milepost 469.”

Ugh. My oldest is in Panama City Beach. She wants me to come up there after I finish at Moffitt Cancer Center tomorrow. She thinks we will lose power for days.

My friend KW is in a stilt house 12 miles south of me. She had a 5’ surge of water go under her rental house. She’s spooked for sure. I’ve offered her my place (concrete block, not in a flood or evacuation zone.) She may be able to stay at her brother in law’s house too.

I guess I’ll pack a Go Bag with essentials. I filled up my gas tank this afternoon.
I am hoping and praying you and your friend will stay safe! It's good you have the option to go to Panama City Beach to stay with your daughter for a while. I hope you will be able to check in here and let us know you are safe.

I live in Palm Beach County, and it is difficult to tell how much Milton will affect us. The initial landfall will probably be the worst, especially with storm surge. The storm will then move east, crossing the state of Florida, and possibly create damaging conditions on the east coast of Florida. Wind velocity should drop once Milton goes inland, but it's hard to say how much it will drop. In 2005, Hurricane Wilma crossed the state, and left a lot of damage in SE Florida. In some respects, the path of Milton looks similar to Wilma. So far, Milton's tracks north of Wilma's path, but the "spaghetti models" vary and there are always unknowns.

I'm worried about this one.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhojensenbeach