2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm worried about this one also. It is on a very odd path across the Gulf. Last hurricane that developed like this was in the 1800's. The fact that the storm is expected to impact the Florida Gulf Coast in less than 48 hours and the spaghetti models still have only narrowed it "down" to the Entire Coastline.

I just saw this Twitter from an Orlando Meteorologist. He is suggesting Milton may hit a bit south (Ft. Myers) of current Tampa projections

Trend on the Euro has been a touch more to the ESE interacting with the Yucatan Peninsula. It will be interesting to see what, if any, impacts this may have on #Milton. Also MAY lead to a track closer to our tropical models near Fort Myers. Stay with #weshwx for updates."

Tony Mainolfi at WESH news Orlando

Ft. Myers means Sanibel Island would get hit again. It is just starting to recover from Ian. Most resorts are hoping to reopen in 2025. A few have recently reopened. I can't imagine what another Hurricane will do.

Stay Safe Everyone!

I'm worried about this one also. It is on a very odd path across the Gulf. Last hurricane that developed like this was in the 1800's. The fact that the storm is expected to impact the Florida Gulf Coast in less than 48 hours and the spaghetti models still have only narrowed it "down" to the Entire Coastline.

I just saw this Twitter from an Orlando Meteorologist. He is suggesting Milton may hit a bit south (Ft. Myers) of current Tampa projections

Trend on the Euro has been a touch more to the ESE interacting with the Yucatan Peninsula. It will be interesting to see what, if any, impacts this may have on #Milton. Also MAY lead to a track closer to our tropical models near Fort Myers. Stay with #weshwx for updates."

Tony Mainolfi at WESH news Orlando

Ft. Myers means Sanibel Island would get hit again. It is just starting to recover from Ian. Most resorts are hoping to reopen in 2025. A few have recently reopened. I can't imagine what another Hurricane will do.

Stay Safe Everyone!
I really feel for all of you in harms' way.

Well, the youngest in Grenada (vet school) chimed in and wants me outta here too. I think my house will be fine. Altho a CAT 3-4 is usually pretty bad. My yard will look like a forest with tree branches down.

The police are saying 5’-10’ storm surge. The islands are being closed off at noon tomorrow. City Hall opened this afternoon so residents can get island passes to go back on after the storm.

My aunt & uncle on the east coast (Sebastian) are in a mobile home. I’m worried about them.

I don’t do well in the heat. If we lose power, I’m screwed. I do not have an immune system. I can’t go to a shelter and I don’t qualify for the handicap shelter.

So I’m packing as if I’m evacuating. Clothing, electronics, sewing stuff and sweet potatoes! LOL! I’ll check the path tomorrow when I finish my appts.

I put everything on the lanai up against the house. I have the trash at the curb and the neighbor will bring the can back in. I’m charging the solar light & string lights with my craft lamp.

My sunflowers are popping out in bloom and they’ll get shredded. Sigh.

Somedays I hate Florida and I’ve lived here most of my life.

Attachments

• IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6215.jpeg
    IMG_6215.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6207.jpeg
    IMG_6207.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 46
I live in Palm Beach County, and it is difficult to tell how much Milton will affect us. The initial landfall will probably be the worst, especially with storm surge. The storm will then move east, crossing the state of Florida, and possibly create damaging conditions on the east coast of Florida. Wind velocity should drop once Milton goes inland, but it's hard to say how much it will drop. In 2005, Hurricane Wilma crossed the state, and left a lot of damage in SE Florida. In some respects, the path of Milton looks similar to Wilma. So far, Milton's tracks north of Wilma's path, but the "spaghetti models" vary and there are always unknowns.

I'm worried about this one.
Same. I got all the necessary supplies, but am hunkering down. If the track holds we will be on the dirty side of the storm here in Wellington. I experienced Wilma's eye in this house and it caused considerable damage here.

Same. I got all the necessary supplies, but am hunkering down. If the track holds we will be on the dirty side of the storm here in Wellington. I experienced Wilma's eye in this house and it caused considerable damage here.

Why hunker down when you might head north, find a place to hang out for a couple of days, binge watching movies, sleep in, and then head back when the storm is no longer likely to damage your car? Why take any risks? Sorry for the personal question, but I am curious.

Why hunker down when you might head north, find a place to hang out for a couple of days, binge watching movies, sleep in, and then head back when the storm is no longer likely to damage your car? Why take any risks? Sorry for the personal question, but I am curious.
Just guessing but I have friends in Florida that would be concerned about looters if their house was left unattended and then there’s the issue of not being able to get back home after.

A hard decision for sure.

Stay safe everyone.

Well I survived with damage, recoverable damage, but damage nonetheless. The island flooded as expected and the water was higher than previous storms. My two rental houses up in Pasco County had more damage as the surge was over 10 feet there. Both houses had all belongings destroyed. Neither tenant had renters insurance (against my recommendations). Both renters did not evacuate even though it was a mandatory evacuation for that area. One had to be rescued from the water. Why people do not take these warnings seriously I do not know and just put it down to them being idiots. That particular tenant is threatening to sue me for loss of habitation. Good luck with that buddy. Anyway, all belongings have been hauled to the street for pickup and plans were in the works for crews to start tearing down the drywall, etc this week. That is on hold for now. My house on Lido fared better as their had been mitigation done to limit damage. A wall of sorts to reroute the surge from the house. It held, but water did come up from beneath the cement base of the house but it was limited to 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water inside. As opposed to 4 feet.

Now on to this new nightmare. I am too old for this at 88 years old. As much as I love living on the water in paradise I do believe I am done. After Andrew I purchased a little plot of land up in the mountains near Murphy NC as a get away if things got really bad and I had to vacate for a long period of time. I never had to and the kids/grandkids use it as a summer camping spot. Who knows what condition that is in now, and I really do not even want to know. One can handle only so much loss in a short period of time.
So I'm out for who knows when folks. Good luck to all in the next few days/weeks/months.

Someone in the Palm Beach area going north is heading right into the worst of the storm. It’s best to stay put. A flight out of the area would be an option, IF you can get one and IF you can afford it.

Jim Cantore

@JimCantore
#Milton continues well on its way to a strengthening hurricane that will have Helene winds and maybe more at its peak. The hurricane should weaken before landfall, but push a very strong windfield with power outages well inland from west to east do to angle of approach. Guidance still has wiggle room in terms of landfall. Storm surge will be maximized to the south of the center which has huge implications for Tampa and anyone beaten up by Helene with debris still sitting in their front yards. This will make any travel or rescue impossible in an expanding debris field when the hurricane comes in. Hotels are packed and some will have to be evacuated. You will likey have to evacuate farther than usual because of hotel occupancy. Gas will likely be in short supply. Get inland to a safe place and give Florida a chance to reset or you will be part of a likely gridlock out, and then back in. See you in Tampa in the morning.”

I'm 8 miles inland and so the main concern-storm surge-doesn't really apply to me. I've been through a bunch of these and my house is built for hurricanes. I invested in impact windows a couple of years ago so prep is much easier than it used to be.

I'm also just down the street from a hospital, so my power typically comes on quickly.

Someone in the Palm Beach area going north is heading right into the worst of the storm. It’s best to stay put. A flight out of the area would be an option, IF you can get one and IF you can afford it.
From what I've heard, flights are full. I could get a charter, but for that cost I'd rather ride it out.

"Hurricane Milton is set to bring a once-in-a-century storm surge
to western Florida, with millions living there urged to evacuate.

Gov. Ron DeSantis
has
issued a state of emergency for 51 of the state's 67 counties,
as officials across the state urge people to flee before Milton makes landfall at around 5pm Wednesday.

'Just go now.
Beat the traffic and go now and just go to higher ground,'
Tampa Mayor Jane Castor is telling residents."

I stayed in SC during Hugo, which the eye came in about 30 miles south of us. I will never stay for a storm over a Cat1. People leave. It's just not worth it.
If I lived in the affected area I would be grabbing my go bag, the go bag I have packed for my dog, and driving out now to beat the traffic. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisacfuller
Back