2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just guessing but I have friends in Florida that would be concerned about looters if their house was left unattended and then there’s the issue of not being able to get back home after.

A hard decision for sure.

Stay safe everyone.

Looters? Meh! Take the precious treasures along in a box and think about how little our possessions really mean to us. Don't folks have contents insurance?

I always thought that when forced to evacuate, I would stuff my vehicle full of all my things that I couldn't part with. But last year, when forced to evacuate from a forest fire, I packed a laundry basket with all I needed ... some food, clothes, and diapers for the baby, just enough that I could get through one day of naps and nighttime. Yeh, and a small envelope of important papers.

Even the beautiful, one of a kind, hand made, copper wok that is absolute perfection in the kitchen was left on the shelf. I had one job to do, keep the kids safe. Everything else was just so much stuff.

There is no sense in clinging with all one's life to material things.

BELLEAIR BEACH, Fla. — (AP) — Milton rapidly strengthened into a Category 5 hurricane Monday in the Gulf of Mexico on a path toward Florida, threatening a dangerous storm surge in Tampa Bay, leading to evacuation orders and long gas lines, and lending more urgency to the cleanup from Hurricane Helene, which swamped the same stretch of coastline less than two weeks ago.

October 07, 2024 at 1:10 pm EDT

I worry about people who are too elderly, disabled to evacuate. And people who just don't have any extended resources.

That situation hasn't changed at all since Hurricane Helene.

Those who did not have a vehicle, or money, or friends to help them evacuate then are going to be in the same situation now. That unfortunately means many senior citizens and poor families.

Looters? Meh! Take the precious treasures along in a box and think about how little our possessions really mean to us. Don't folks have contents insurance?

I always thought that when forced to evacuate, I would stuff my vehicle full of all my things that I couldn't part with. But last year, when forced to evacuate from a forest fire, I packed a laundry basket with all I needed ... some food, clothes, and diapers for the baby, just enough that I could get through one day of naps and nighttime. Yeh, and a small envelope of important papers.

Even the beautiful, one of a kind, hand made, copper wok that is absolute perfection in the kitchen was left on the shelf. I had one job to do, keep the kids safe. Everything else was just so much stuff.

There is no sense in clinging with all one's life to material things.
My mom ALWAYS had a "go" bag ready. She lived in Southern Cal, had to evacuate for wildfires, plus with earthquakes, it made sense to keep everything important/super valuable secure and ready to grab. The last evac she was in, they got all of fifteen minutes.

Holy s*it

1:00 PM CDT Mon Oct 7
Moving: E at 9 mph
Min pressure: 911 mb
Max sustained: 175 mph
[td]
MILTON EXPLOSIVELY INTENSIFIES WITH 175-MPH WINDS... ...RESIDENTS IN FLORIDA ARE URGED TO FOLLOW THE ADVICE OF LOCAL OFFICIALS...

[/td]

Well, here comes another one. The Weather Channel is comparing Milton to Andrew! Wish we knew where the path will ultimately be but I do know that there will be outages all over Florida. We lose power when a mosquito sneezes. sigh

The NHC said that Milton is now a Category 5 hurricane with winds of 160 mph and a pressure of 925 mb.

The rate at which he intensified leaves me without words. Crazy.
Florida sure could use a miracle right now, like weakening as quickly as it intensified and wind shear tearing it up and shifting it further south so that it goes between the Keys and Cuba.

Florida Highway Patrol tied ropes to gates at Pinellas County Landfill and busted open the gates so residents could dump debris ahead of Hurricane Milton.

Gov. DeSantis says county government had landfill closed, despite urgent need to cleanup from last storm ahead of Milton.

President Biden declared an emergency in Florida and ordered Federal assistance to supplement local and state response efforts due to the emergency conditions resulting from Hurricane Milton.

Rsbm.

No, not everyone has contents insurance.

With Hurricane Milton barreling toward the state, Florida officials have issued evacuation orders for millions of residents.

Many Florida evacuees typically turn toward south Georgia for shelter. However, much of the region is still recovering from Hurricane Helene, particularly in the Valdosta area just north of Florida-Georgia border. Thousands remain without power in the area.

The Georgia Emergency Management Agency is encouraging evacuees to travel further north into Albany, Columbus, Macon and Atlanta areas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NVWoman
Back