2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow! It says volumes that your uncle cares though they're not speaking.

Maybe letting your dad know that even his brother gives a damn what happens to him will make him realize just how dangerous remaining there is?
Where's your step-brother who they live with in all this?
Did he get out of Dodge already?
Step-brother is staying, too. Last I heard he was securing his boat somewhere.
Waiting on them to call me back for an update, but I doubt anything has changed. Trying to find out if my niece and her husband have evacuated - their home is north of MacDill.
Looks like Lakeland is now on the "wet" side now instead of the "wind" side, but we all know that things can change quickly.

Posted three hours ago

The Target lot in Fort Myers is filled with people, RVs, EVs, and boats, all seeking high ground ahead of Hurricane Milton.

They will be protected from the water surges but what about the winds? Those trees will likely be uprooted, and those small boats blown away, not to mention some of those campers toppling over.
Better there than being in the path of surges though.

I experienced a hurricane once in my life, in Hawaii when was a kid. We were stuck in a hotel, on an upper floor, in the bathroom as instructed. When it was over the windows had blown out and there were palm trees in the swimming pool. Cars were scattered and overturned on the streets, and the garage and ground floor were flooded. It was frightening at the time.
This however is 100 x worse.

They will be protected from the water surges but what about the winds? Those trees will likely be uprooted, and those small boats blown away, not to mention some of those campers toppling over.
Better there than being in the path of surges though.

I experienced a hurricane once in my life, in Hawaii when was a kid. We were stuck in a hotel, on an upper floor, in the bathroom as instructed. When it was over the windows had blown out and there were palm trees in the swimming pool. Cars were scattered and overturned on the streets, and the garage and ground floor were flooded. It was frightening at the time.
This however is 100 x worse.
It's always advised to evacuate RV's and mobile homes in a minor hurricane. They don't fare well at all.

I'm at my daughters place in Panama City Beach. The neighbors are texting me that its looking really bad and they're glad I left.

My two nieces, 1 in St Pete and 1 in Clearwater, said its too late to evacuate. There are no hotels and they have 4 boys between them. I'm not sure about their Dad (my 1/2 brother) and his place in St Pete. Our family in central FL are not going to fair much better in this storm. My aunt & uncle on the east coast (Sebastien) are prepped with their shutters up.

I'm at my daughters place in Panama City Beach. The neighbors are texting me that its looking really bad and they're glad I left.

My two nieces, 1 in St Pete and 1 in Clearwater, said its too late to evacuate. There are no hotels and they have 4 boys between them. I'm not sure about their Dad (my 1/2 brother) and his place in St Pete. Our family in central FL are not going to fair much better in this storm. My aunt & uncle on the east coast (Sebastien) are prepped with their shutters up.

Sending you my thoughts from the UK @PayrollNerd

I hope your family still in Florida manage to stay safe.

Take care of yourself. I am glad you got out.

Your nieces, I pray for them. I'd be even more scared on the peninsula of St Pete/Clearwater. Water on 3 sides. Hope they have a 2nd floor.

Maybe those people in that parking lot will take refuge inside the Target, if opened?
I doubt the Target will be open. Probably windows boarded up, sandbags along the walls, doors, and loading bays. Expensive goods moved to the highest racks. Target is probably praying to keep its roof. Too much liability to allow people inside during the hurricane. All lithium and other ion batteries removed or placed on the highest racks to prevent fires from saltwater surges.

Let your daughter take care of you!! I know she is so relieved that you are with her. Thank you for updating us.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran
Back