2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Comment on Milton decreasing wind speed (not my comment)

Strong wind shear and dry air is starting to eat into the structure of Milton. But this is causing its windfield to expand. It may be slightly weaker at landfall, but the large windfield of this thing means the storm surge is gonna be very bad.

I shared this the other day: but if you want an example on how sheared storms can still cause a lot of damage, look at Hurricane Sandy in 2012. When that storm made landfall in the Northeast, it was only a Category 1, but the windfield was so expansive that it caused significant storm surge along the coast, and wind damage occurred very far away from its center.

That’s why you shouldn’t underestimate a hurricane when it is weakening the way Milton is right now. Sure, a Cat 3 at landfall is better than a Cat 4 or 5, but really the difference isn’t that stark when you have a wider wind field; a larger area will experience tropical storm to hurricane force winds, and the storm surge will still be significant.
"

Reports are that the tornados are unusually large and there have been increased numbers of PDS Tornado Warnings, which are for Particularly Dangerous Storms where the tornado strength is high and/or shows particularly violent characteristics.

13 tornado warnings out at present.
now 15. Some of which were observed, and one of which was pretty considerable in size at least according to the app that I pay for that was recommended by Reed Timmer’s page.

Attachments

• IMG_8133.png
    IMG_8133.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8134.png
    IMG_8134.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8135.png
    IMG_8135.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8136.png
    IMG_8136.png
    177 KB · Views: 2
There was a hurricane in Southern FL about 20 years ago or so, many of the animals from "Jungle Island" got free. Which is why you see wild parrots, flying in flocks along US 1, in Miami. I loved watching them.

The wild parrots find my sunflowers. My fall plantings just started blooming 2 weeks ago. I staked them up with bamboo the other day because Hurricane Helene tilted them pretty bad. I can see on my Ring camera that they're hanging in there today!

Attachments

• IMG_6230.jpeg
    IMG_6230.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 26

Hurricane Milton: Tornado sweeps over bridge during meteorologist's live report

Matalacha once was one of the coolest Florida art communities. Ian was devastating for them, can only imagine what Milton is going to do.

Wondering when the bridges will be closed and residents will have no choice but to hunker down where they are.

My oldest daughter is in West Palm Beach, she just texted they’re under a tornado warning. I feel sick. Her husband’s sister is in the hurricane path but more inland thankfully. They have animals but only an open barn so they won’t leave them.

The wild parrots find my sunflowers. My fall plantings just started blooming 2 weeks ago. I staked them up with bamboo the other day because Hurricane Helene tilted them pretty bad. I can see on my Ring camera that they're hanging in there today!
Where is home for you, if you don't mind sharing the general area? Love that the wild parrots have found your garden!

Where is home for you, if you don't mind sharing the general area? Love that the wild parrots have found your garden!
The eye of Hurricane Milton is going right over me in Sarasota. This screen shot was just before 6am. It’s wobbled about 5 miles south of my house this afternoon.

I’m up in Panama City Beach listening to the wind whistle.

Attachments

• IMG_6227.jpeg
    IMG_6227.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 7
The wind’s picking up in Tampa. Thinking of all the Websleuthers in Milton’s path. This will get ugly.

3:00 PM EDT Wed Oct 9
Moving: NE at 16 mph
Min pressure: 948 mb
Max sustained: 130 mph
[td]
...MULTIPLE TORNADO WARNINGS IN EFFECT ACROSS FLORIDA PENINSULA... ...TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS MOVING ONSHORE THE WEST COAST OF FLORIDA...

[/td]

https://www.youtube.com/live/7TTrwuQ-luY?si=PC6CmycDqOVtCVcx

Oh gosh, that's a bull terrier. Sweet dog, rather rare. So glad he is safe.
I would adopt him !

Judging by response to this twit
the Good Boy can choose home he fancies most ;)
You should queue my friend hehehe

Milton brings Florida its most tornado warnings in a day on record

From CNN Meteorologist Mary Gilbert
Milton is generating a prolific tornado outbreak in Florida and it isn’t done yet.

The National Weather Service has issued 90 tornado warnings in Florida and counting today – more than have ever been issued in the state in a single day. A handful of these warnings were given the incredibly serious designation of “particularly dangerous situation.”

90 !! This is like a fictional apocalypse movie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska
Back