2024 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Connor Ferran surveys what is left of his Fort Myers home after what appeared to be a tornado tore the roof off on Wednesday. Milton spawned several tornadoes as it neared landfall.

'Connor Ferran surveys what is left of his Fort Myers home after what appeared to be a tornado tore the roof off on Wednesday. Milton spawned several tornadoes as it neared landfall. Joe Raedle/Getty Images'

North of us in Ft Pierce a tornado got what I think is a mobile home community and there were multiple deaths.

I've heard through the grapevine it could be as many as 15 people. :(

'Tampa’s ‘Lieutenant Dan’ emerges unscathed after braving Milton’s fury on his sailboat — despite mayor insisting he went to shelter'​

By
Allie Griffin
Published Oct. 10, 2024, 2:58 a.m. ET

Someone is telling porkies!

But who??

Florida Man
Finally Agrees to Leave Boat ...
Refused Multiple Times Leading Up to Hurricane
Apparently he stayed on his boat and survived, according to local news.

Someone is telling porkies!

But who??

A Tampa man nicknamed “Lieutenant Dan” is safe after riding out Hurricane Milton in his sailboat.

In videos shared by journalists on X (formerly known as Twitter) late on Wednesday, Oct. 9, the man — who has been named after the character played by actor Gary Sinise in the 1994 hit movie Forrest Gump — could be seen in his 20-foot boat on the water after the hurricane made landfall as a Category 3 storm.

North of us in Ft Pierce a tornado got what I think is a mobile home community and there were multiple deaths.

I've heard through the grapevine it could be as many as 15 people. :(
I was thinking about this yesterday when looking at the topography of Florida on Google Earth.

1. It's surrounded on three sides by ocean (3.5 sides if you include the panhandle).
2. It's almost all very low-lying.
3. Almost half of the land area appears to be covered by swamp or bodies of water.
4. Land in the central area, especially around Lakeland-Orlando, seems to be being cleared at breakneck speed to build ever more densely packed developments of plywood hutches for retirees, most from out of state.

Result? An ever increasing proportion of the population which is already late middle-aged or early elderly with increasing health and mobility issues as they age, being packed together in an low-lying area surrounded on three sides by ocean etc, and increasingly dependent on state/emergency response personnel in hurricanes and similar situations? Two people in their 60s would presumably still be self-reliant, but two in their mid to late 80s probably not.

Does there come a point when people are going to die purely because of the nature of population change and the type of development in the state?

I was thinking about this yesterday when looking at the topography of Florida on Google Earth.

1. It's surrounded on three sides by ocean (3.5 sides if you include the panhandle).
2. It's almost all very low-lying.
3. Almost half of the land area appears to be covered by swamp or bodies of water.
4. Land in the central area, especially around Lakeland-Orlando, seems to be being cleared at breakneck speed to build ever more densely packed developments of plywood hutches for retirees, most from out of state.

Result? An ever increasing proportion of the population which is already late middle-aged or early elderly with increasing health and mobility issues as they age, being packed together in an low-lying area surrounded on three sides by ocean etc, and increasingly dependent on state/emergency response personnel in hurricanes and similar situations? Two people in their 60s would presumably still be self-reliant, but two in their mid to late 80s probably not.

Does there come a point when people are going to die purely because of the nature of population change and the type of development in the state?
I've lived here over 40 years, if there is one thing they have done it is well-engineer the state to move water. Problem with these storms is you couldn't engineer for the storm surge + the amount of rain they drop.

People in at-risk communities are begged and pleaded with to go elsewhere and most do. But some don't.

I for one would never be in a mobile home or manufactured home during a hurricane.

My house is 20 years old but post-Andrew construction codes. It's a fortress. We had tornados hit a neighborhood nearby, the exteriors of those homes were destroyed but the interiors were saved by the impact glass/shutters. So the residents were safe. I posted some pics of the damage earlier.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila
Back