3 Weeks Later, Why No Community Outcry?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as a member of the community, how long is too long to wait for answers? How long do you sit on your hands and believe what LE is telling you; that this is an "isolated case" and that others need not worry about the safety of their children. How long until you start thinking "sheesh, I think they really bungled this one and have absolutely no idea what happened to Kyron"? 3 Week? A month? 6 Months? A Year?

Because I'm now in the "If they don't arrest the stepmom by this weekend, I think they have screwed up and don't have a clue" camp, personally. And sadly, if they don't arrest someone before we hit the one month mark, I really do think this will become a cold case.

I see Kyron on tv all day long here on KATU. Not only do they say something every news cast, they have an ad they show throughout the day. It is on the forefront of everybody's mind here.

I don't understand how you could feel it has been bungled? Short of setting up the National Guard here, there isn't much more they can do except what they are doing... pursuing every lead.

It is hard to think like a person who has taken Kyron because most people don't have that kind of sick mind.

As a parent I felt very comfortable in my small country Oregon school where my kids attended. No cameras anywhere. I was at those fairs... there is NO way I knew everyone that attended, as people love to support our community.

So three weeks ago, just like every ordinary school day, Kyron Horman went to school. This is a nightmare to EVERY parent.

LE has to say some things to keep the public calm. Just what would happen if they said they don't have a clue who took him? What kind of attention would that get? It would cause pandemonium among parents here and everywhere.

Our kids are not safe anywhere, anymore - period. Pointing fingers gets us no where.

Thanks for the insight, Gwenabob. I don't think my Type A personality would be able to make it up there for very long! :)

And yes, my opinion on this is probably based on my east coaster mentality, which is to have expected it resolved "yesterday". Although, I will say, regardless of where I was, it would be hard for me to sit on my hands and keep my mouth shut, no matter where I lived.

I agree with you however if the FBI gave me some insight of what the game plan was I would do whatever I had to do. However I would not be working out or playing games on line. I would be (if not in the hospital after my heart stopped) out searching and talking to people. When ever parents say they want the focus to be on the missing person and not them MOO is they are the only voice for the child and do everything you can to get info out. I will keep praying that he is okay.

Have they stated that they are being told to stay quiet? I know T's GM said she was told not to talk to the media, but that's the only one I remember. Otherwise, except for TMH's friend Jaymie and the parents of Kyron, it doesn't seem like any locales have said anything after those first few days of him going missing.

I have not read of any comments from locals on this board who have said they were told to keep quiet. Some have hinted that it has been implied, most comments I have seen from locals say they are keeping quiet because they do not want speculation to impede the investigation. Then they go on to say there is not much speculation anyway because there are very few leaks or anything to go on....Then they reiterate their trust in LE.

I dont know if it is apathy-but I think they believe LE when LE said that other children were not in danger.
I hope LE is right. Personally, if lived there and my child was at that school, they would have to be doing a lot more to convince me of his safety or I would be out talking to any reporter and media person who would take me. And I would be calling for heads to roll. Perhaps I'm just cut from a different cloth.

I'm so frustrated with this case, and I don't even live anywhere in the vicinity of Portland. I cannot imagine what I would be feeling if I lived there. Well, first, I would be tying my child to my waist with a rope :) until they figured out what happened to Kyron! And then I would hope that I wouldn't have to keep my child lashed to me until he turned 18. :(

Sheeh, where is he??? It's been 3 weeks! If they know something, bring the boy home!!!

So, as a member of the community, how long is too long to wait for answers? How long do you sit on your hands and believe what LE is telling you; that this is an "isolated case" and that others need not worry about the safety of their children. How long until you start thinking "sheesh, I think they really bungled this one and have absolutely no idea what happened to Kyron"? 3 Week? A month? 6 Months? A Year?

Because I'm now in the "If they don't arrest the stepmom by this weekend, I think they have screwed up and don't have a clue" camp, personally. And sadly, if they don't arrest someone before we hit the one month mark, I really do think this will become a cold case.

I guess how long each person waits for answers is up to them. LE is searching for Kyron and more evidence, and trying to follow up on leads to narrow the vast areas that could be searched. They interact with the significant witnesses and are in a far better position than I am to assess them and their reactions, and to make decisions based on that. I don't rule out that this case will become "cold," in that they may not make an arrest soon, based on whatever evidence they have. I wish they could find Kyron.

I really don't understand the lack of community/family searchers at this point. I think I would have been out there every day looking, and still would be begging for help to find him three weeks in. Why is there no search parties like in Lindsey's case...they're doing them a year later. We never knew she'd be gone that long either :(
I know about the evidence, but it's usually a citizen who stumbles across a body or a missing kid anyway, so what's the difference here?
sorry, just my two cents...I want to see searchers, different searchers, especially again in the school.

I can only speak for myself but I think LE is doing a fantastic job. They are releasing what they want us to know and keeping quiet on the details that might harm their investigation. Why would I be outraged? They are doing their job. Sometimes things aren't solved quickly in the real world...only on TV. My personal belief is they have someone in mind but need more to go forward.
I would be outraged because it's been 3 weeks. That's an incredibly long time for a 7 year old to be missing. And how do I, as Jane Q Public, know that they are doing their jobs? Maybe they are completely screwing this case up, focused on the SM when it wasn't her at all, and they don't have any idea what happened to Kyron at all. And here I would be as another parent of a little blonde haired 7 year old boy wondering if my kid was going to be next to disappear in a place filled with other children, parents and adults and where I always imagined him to be safe when I wasn't there with him.

I'm not at all saying that LE on this investigation is screwing up this case at all. What I am saying is that I am really surprised that no one in the community, where you have the potential for 600 parents to do so, has said anything like what I just wrote.

Maybe it's the east coast/west coast difference, but I can tell you, here, people would be putting some LE's feet to the proverbial fire right about now. If it went on for a month, you would start seeing detectives getting pulled from the case and a new lead investigator. Perhaps we are are more impatient lot. It's also hot here and we get cranky when it gets above 100. :)

What community are you talking about? The neighborhood around the school, NW Portland, Westside of Portland or Portland as a whole? How do you know there is not some kind of outcry? How do you know their aren't individuals doing what you mention in our post, OP? Just because the news doesn't report things doesn't mean they aren't happening.

I think that any large city isn't going to feel "unsafe" because of one missing child. Statisically, we know there are other dangers that are more likely to happen. Personally, I think that the majority of people feel that it was a family member and there is no danger to the community.

I also wanted to add that I think the community believes that LE is doing their job, they don't have to release info that could hurt the investigation. If the public gets fanatical and causes an uproar it could impede the investigation.

Part of me thinks the LE is keeping quiet because they have an idea who is responsible or where Kyron is, but the other part of me thinks they are keeping quiet because they don't have a clue!

I don't know if my frustration is because I am noisy and want to know more details or because I feel like more details may help in finding Kyron.

This case frustrates me and sometimes I feel like it has already gone cold!
CCup, I feel *exactly* the same way that you do. And I do not think, in the case of a missing child, it's wrong to be impatient. I know they need to get their ducks in a row if it's the SM but really, 3 weeks, and you still can't arrest her? If it's not her, then put something out that alludes to that and give us some additional details that might help generate some leads on who it really is.

I would at the very least not send my kid back to a school there that didn't have a proper signing in/out procedure that is actually followed. I really didn't even know that ALL schools didn't do this. And a school like Kyrons that has limited points of entry should at least have video at those points...that wouldn't be as costly.

I think LE has a POI even if they are saying they don't. I agree with Steadfast's observation below. You may THINK you are working with LE, but really LE is working on you. They are pros and they don't need help from grieving parents.

I find it telling how differently Kaine and Desiree are interacting with LE:

Kaine, in the KPTV interview:

Desiree, in the same interview:

So it sounds to me like Desiree is mainly getting updates, while Kaine and Terri are being questioned relentlessly. (He can call it "working with the investigators" all he wants, but that's what Tammy Smith used to call it, too.)

http://www.kptv.com/news/24037975/detail.html

When I listen to the news conferences and read statements made by LE from early in the investigation the general message is this: We don't want to relase any investigative info. because if a tip comes in we want it to be genuine, not something pieced together from the info. we have released. To me this made sense early in the process when LE was trying to piece everything together.

But now? In my opinion they need to release something small to keep interest and focus on this case, and to maintain trust in LE. If they still do not have a clue as to what happened to Kyron, then not releasing anything still makes sense for the same reason it did early on in the case. But if they know who did this or even if it was family vs. a stranger something should be relased. It wouldn't have to be something big.... To me the reason they are not releasing anything is because they know exactly who did it, and are building their case. LE doesn't want to raise this person's suspicions before arrest, and they want to make sure this person can help them locate Kyron, which I do believe is their ultimate goal. Success= arrest (if need be) AND finding Kyron

I hope LE is right. Personally, if lived there and my child was at that school, they would have to be doing a lot more to convince me of his safety or I would be out talking to any reporter and media person who would take me. And I would be calling for heads to roll. Perhaps I'm just cut from a different cloth.

I'm so frustrated with this case, and I don't even live anywhere in the vicinity of Portland. I cannot imagine what I would be feeling if I lived there. Well, first, I would be tying my child to my waist with a rope :) until they figured out what happened to Kyron! And then I would hope that I wouldn't have to keep my child lashed to me until he turned 18. :(

Sheeh, where is he??? It's been 3 weeks! If they know something, bring the boy home!!!

I feel your frustrations. If this happened at my son's school I would be very wary of allowing him to go back if I could allow him to go back at all. It would feel like I might be delivering him to such a situation. I am one of those mother's that is fully involved w/ her kids.

Actually, I just got back from taking our turtles to school for show and tell and teaching the kids what our turtles eat, how they live, etc. I have taken puppies and Sea Monkeys to the school for the same purpose; and, I have just purchased a butterfly garden and caterpillars for the kids in my son's class to watch grow and change, next we are looking for tadpoles. I often go in to help do projects w/ the kids too.

With all that said, I am very involved w/ my kids including school. I know everyone at the very small developmental day school my son attends (he is autistic) ... not all of the parents though. Of course, this school has cameras on every inch of the school that I can also go in and view. I would love to see all schools equipped w/ cameras and safety measures. It sure isn't the world I grew up in anymore!

I feel that my son is very safe at his school. I know a lot of the teachers and staff have a soft spot for my son too. I guess all that makes me very comfortable as to his safety. All kids and parents deserve to have that same amount of security.

I will say that Kyron's case has scared me. School is one place our kids should be safe! Not only did this person get Kyron, this person has also rocked the security of all of the kids in that school. There is no doubt those kids are worried and scared that it could happen to them as well.

I, for one, will not let Kyron's case fall to the side. I will always keep his smile in my mind and always pray he is safe and home soon!!

So you want someone arrested? Does it matter who? Would arresting SM make everyone happy? What if she is innocent? Not only will she lose her life; but, a kidnapper, possible killer would still be at large. To me that is not OK.

Another thing, if they arrest someone too soon, even if it is the right person, and before they have hard evidence then they will only have to release the person which could severely damage the case. How would that help?

I am w/ you on the frustration. At what point will LE start releasing information? If Kyron is not found will LE continue the media black out? To me, I believe that is sad for Kyron. I can already see interest in this case deminishing because LE is giving the public nothing!
No, I just just want a someone arrested, I want the SM arrested, if it is indeed her. They have put enough out there to make me think that they think it is her and if it it is not, they need to start sharing some other information that says that it isn't her and some other leads that they might have. Because right now, with no other information coming from LE, all signs point to her and there are not compelling anyone to search for or think of other possibilities.

Basically, I hope like hell they know what they are doing so that they find Kyron and I hope like hell for all the other little kids in Portland that they've got this one figured out and didn't let a serial child abductor escape to potentially strike again. It's a lot of faith, and that's a hard thing to hold onto after 3 weeks.

I see Kyron on tv all day long here on KATU. Not only do they say something every news cast, they have an ad they show throughout the day. It is on the forefront of everybody's mind here.

I don't understand how you could feel it has been bungled? Short of setting up the National Guard here, there isn't much more they can do except what they are doing... pursuing every lead.

It is hard to think like a person who has taken Kyron because most people don't have that kind of sick mind.

As a parent I felt very comfortable in my small country Oregon school where my kids attended. No cameras anywhere. I was at those fairs... there is NO way I knew everyone that attended, as people love to support our community.

So three weeks ago, just like every ordinary school day, Kyron Horman went to school. This is a nightmare to EVERY parent.

LE has to say some things to keep the public calm. Just what would happen if they said they don't have a clue who took him? What kind of attention would that get? It would cause pandemonium among parents here and everywhere.

Our kids are not safe anywhere, anymore - period. Pointing fingers gets us no where.
Well, I hope that if someone has taken Kyron, that he is still in the Portland area. But what is he isn't? I keep thinking about Shasta Groene and that it was an alert waitress at a diner who helped find her. Kyron could be in my area by now (and I live in the DC metro area). We're getting to that point, where if they don't start giving reporters and news people outside of Portland some substantive information, this story is going to fall off the national news radar screens.

I really don't understand the lack of community/family searchers at this point. I think I would have been out there every day looking, and still would be begging for help to find him three weeks in. Why is there no search parties like in Lindsey's case...they're doing them a year later. We never knew she'd be gone that long either :(
I know about the evidence, but it's usually a citizen who stumbles across a body or a missing kid anyway, so what's the difference here?
sorry, just my two cents...I want to see searchers, different searchers, especially again in the school.
Mistivon, I agree with you. And I know it is the outside looking in on this community and we are putting them under a microscope but it almost feels like they have given up on Kyron.

My Daughter is 12 and we had two attempted abductions in less than 2 miles from our home. Her school called to inform us. I called every day to ask if they had any new information. They would only say they are working with the sheriff's department. I continued to call and I found out that the attempted abductions involved two different children and two different perpetrators. This was a span of about two to three weeks. The school called every day with automated messages to inform us on the ongoing investigation. No one was every found or charged. My point is that the sheriff's department told the school what to say. I found out all the details from my little gas station up the road that we call the cop shop.They all come in and get coffee.

What community are you talking about? The neighborhood around the school, NW Portland, Westside of Portland or Portland as a whole? How do you know there is not some kind of outcry? How do you know their aren't individuals doing what you mention in our post, OP? Just because the news doesn't report things doesn't mean they aren't happening.

I think that any large city isn't going to feel "unsafe" because of one missing child. Statisically, we know there are other dangers that are more likely to happen. Personally, I think that the majority of people feel that it was a family member and there is no danger to the community.
The parents of the children that go to the school that Kyron attended are the ones I'm mostly talking about. And I haven't seen a single news report, outside of the the ones just the first few days that he went missing, that have included any of those people. Is it being reported locally but not nationally? Are these people speaking to local reporters?

The parents of the children that go to the school that Kyron attended are the ones I'm mostly talking about. And I haven't seen a single news report, outside of the the ones just the first few days that he went missing, that have included any of those people. Is it being reported locally but not nationally? Are these people speaking to local reporters?

Kyron's biological parents were on the Today show this morning which goes nationally.

I have read that some locals posted that they were asked not to repeat or discuss anything about the case.

All I can say is I hope they know what they are doing!

When I listen to the news conferences and read statements made by LE from early in the investigation the general message is this: We don't want to relase any investigative info. because if a tip comes in we want it to be genuine, not something pieced together from the info. we have released. To me this made sense early in the process when LE was trying to piece everything together.

But now? In my opinion they need to release something small to keep interest and focus on this case, and to maintain trust in LE. If they still do not have a clue as to what happened to Kyron, then not releasing anything still makes sense for the same reason it did early on in the case. But if they know who did this or even if it was family vs. a stranger something should be relased. It wouldn't have to be something big.... To me the reason they are not releasing anything is because they know exactly who did it, and are building their case. LE doesn't want to raise this person's suspicions before arrest, and they want to make sure this person can help them locate Kyron, which I do believe is their ultimate goal. Success= arrest (if need be) AND finding Kyron
Yes, it's a tightrope that LE has to walk. They need to keep some things close to their chest but they also need to reassure the public that they are doing everything to 1) find Kryon 2) find the person who took him (if he was indeed taken) but also 3) assure the public that,while they aren't giving out the details, they do have leads and 4) make sure that this case doesn't fall off everyone's radar screens.

I wonder if they don't care if #4 occurs anymore because they have such a good idea of who took Kyron but they don't know where he is. Because they aren't focusing on #4/making sure that this case doesn't fall off everyone's radar screens that #3/assuring the public is also not a main focus anymore. They know that the general public is safe, but they can't tell them why because if they do, they jeopardize the entire case.

I think they need to get back to #3 a bit more. They need to give something out that to the general public that assures them that they are getting closer to solving this or that they are onto something. Right now, they have given nothing out which could also lead one to think that they know absolutely nothing at all.

And here is a question for the parents out there. If this happened in your community, and school were to start in the fall and you knew as much as you know right now about missing Kyron (no arrests, no additional information coming from LE), would you send your kid off to school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme