3 Weeks Later, Why No Community Outcry?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would at the very least not send my kid back to a school there that didn't have a proper signing in/out procedure that is actually followed. I really didn't even know that ALL schools didn't do this. And a school like Kyrons that has limited points of entry should at least have video at those points...that wouldn't be as costly.

I think LE has a POI even if they are saying they don't. I agree with Steadfast's observation below. You may THINK you are working with LE, but really LE is working on you. They are pros and they don't need help from grieving parents.

The school district my kids go to has a sign in/out procedure for regular school days. When my youngest was in a play for his grade level a few weeks ago, any family/friends could attend. They didn't enforce the usual sign in/out, I noticed it was roughly half did sign in and half didn't. When the play ended the principal did tell everyone that they could take their child home if they wanted to, but stressed that the teacher had to be told and the child had to be signed out. On my way out, all available teachers and staff were in the halls and by all the non usual entrance/exits, and the principle was by the entrance. I noticed that she greeted every parent by name then said something to each child using their name.

IMO, LE has something to go on, otherwise they would probably be saying more to the public. And personally, I would much rather not everything getting out as a defense lawyer could claim that the defendant couldn't get a fair trial because they wouldn't get an unbiased jury.

This is a really good discussion. I am a local parent, but don't have kids in school, so I wasn't especially alarmed about school safety. However, Hephaestus put it all really well. And I understand the Original Poster's question - it does seem weird, doesn't it? People are concerned about Kyron but not particularly alarmed in general. I think a lot of that has to do with the way LE and the family are behaving. They are really setting the tone for this. I think if we had seen tearful, frantic parents on tv that first night, there would be a lot more public fear. Fear is contagious. Instead, they seemed sad and with little to say. The PCs that have happened so far with the parents make them appear to be grieving, not hoping for a miracle, desperate for answers, or fearful that the person responsible for Kyron's disappearance might strike again.

I really hope the LE have more answers than they are letting on. If it turns out they have no clue at all, people are going to be pissed.

People are concerned about Kyron but not particularly alarmed in general. I think a lot of that has to do with the way LE and the family are behaving. They are really setting the tone for this. I think if we had seen tearful, frantic parents on tv that first night, there would be a lot more public fear. Fear is contagious.

Yes. +1 to this, and I don't know if it's because LE made a concerted effort to make this case different from the typical template missing children/people cases have taken in recent history (24 hour news cycle etc) or it's just because this case is so.. different.

Thanks for the comments on my earlier comment, everyone. We're all friends, and we're just talking. :)

In my very humble opinion...

I would urge parents and caretakers to use wisdom AND caution in assessing LE's public statements. We would all like to believe that LE would announce if a heightened threat existed, especially toward our children - unfortunately this just isn't the case. In reality LE's job is not only to investigate this case, like it or not, it is also aimed and geared at reducing public panic. To the question "Why No Community Outcry? The answer (IMO) is because LE has, thus far, successfully mediated and managed their public statements...

MOO ~

Dmansmom, you said it best and I am with you 100%... so right, so right, so right

@DMansMom,

Where do I start?

First, I'm here in Portland, Oregon, so local to this. My wife and I have two sons and two daughters. My boys are 6 and 9 so this hits home for us, even moreso since it is in our area.

Second, while my current field is digital marketing / internet marketing, I am prior service Army and have law enforcement experience.

That said, I cannot speak for anyone but myself when you ask why there has not been more community outcry. There are so many things that just make no sense about this case, I don't know where to start. So many unanswered questions.

I've not personally gotten involved with blaming the school staff because my gut tells me that there's no way a stranger abduction could happen as it's been described. We teach our kids from early on that if a stranger grabs you, to yell "This is not my Dad!" or "This is Not my Mom!".

While I don't personally have children at Skyline, I can tell you that there are enough adults around that had Kyron known something was wrong or yelled, we wouldn't be talking about this now.

That leads me to believe that either this is a non-stranger abduction (he knew the person - family or friend of family); or that he never made it to school that morning and the SM is fabricating this to cover something up.

Neither of the above scenarios lead me to be any more cautious or concerned with my kids than my wife and I have been all along. We've always taken common sense security precautions with them, regardless of this case.

Neither of the above scenarios lead me to want to shake the tree and blame the Skyline school or the school district. So, while I cannot speak for others here in Portland, I can tell you that as a parent of four children and a prior LE, I'm not outraged at the way this is being handled. Why?

Because it's blatantly obvious that LE is looking heavily at the SM but they just don't have a body (God forbid) yet or enough proof. And yes, while they are in evidence gathering mode, it is frustrating for average folks because the only thing you and I see is what the media publishes. Trust me. The SM is likely under surveilance. They still have many detectives working the case. But IMHO all signs point to this being a non-stranger abduction that may or may not have taken place on school grounds.

Questions I have had that remain unanswered:

The white Ford F250 looked late model in the photo. If it was NOT towed for evidence processing and if it WAS towed at the request of family to be fixed, is it back in operation yet? Has anyone verified that it went to a repair place?

Why are we just now seeing home videos of Kyron and additional photos being released by the family 3 weeks later?

What were the results of the two polygraphs that SM took?

Why did SM not call 911 herself that day? I can tell you that if my kid did not get off the bus, my first call would be to the school, but that once I heard that he had been marked absent that day, I would PERSONALLY call 911 to get information out. I would NOT rely on a school secretary to do this for me. I see no evidence that SM ever called 911 herself about this case and that SMELLS, bigtime.

This story has gotten national attention and continues to; but it's obvious that LE are focusing the investigation here in Portland. My guess is that they are doing that for a reason. It's NOT that they don't know what they are doing. Hell they are working with Federal, State and Local officers and detectives on this. One thing they don't have is a lack of talent and resources on it.

When I saw that LE was putting out a flyer with photos of the SM and her truck and asking people to fill out a questionnaire, I immediately saw that as LE putting pressure on the SM to see how she would react to it. Would she flee? How would she behave or react? "If" her phone conversations are being monitored, what would she say? I would be HIGHLY surprised if she were not under 24 hour surveillance by LE.

Too many questions unanswered. What was she doing over on Sauvie Island that day? Or did someone borrow her cell phone? Who knows?

There are too many people here in Portland who are watching this for it to go "cold". We're not making a huge stink about it because for all purposes we (I) believe that it is a family member abduction or that he never was at school that morning.

So no, we are not blaming the school. Although I agree 110% that all schools should have digital surveillance in place, even with good systems there is not 100% coverage. There's digital surveillance in the public school that our kids attend here and we STILL use common sense, walking them from the car to the classroom etc. There IS an automated phone system in our public school that calls us within an hour if our kid is absent. That's been in place for several years so I was really surprised to see it not at Skyline.

Skyline is in a fairly rural area. It's by no means desolate or isolated, but my point is simply that it's not urban. It's not downtown Portland. If there appeared to be a reason to be screaming at the school district, trust me, people would. All I can think is that many folks feel like I do that - look, we're already protecting our own children and this is not a stranger abduction from a public school during school hours.

One positive outcome from this locally is that it has increased awareness, which is great. I hope we have an outcome soon. I really do. But like other LE folks who are looking at this, the cards are not in our favor. Almost a 12 hour window before he gets reported missing? That's horrible in a missing kid case.
Welcome to WS, Hephaestus! Thank you for your informative and well thought out post.

I really don't understand the lack of community/family searchers at this point. I think I would have been out there every day looking, and still would be begging for help to find him three weeks in. Why is there no search parties like in Lindsey's case...they're doing them a year later. We never knew she'd be gone that long either :(
I know about the evidence, but it's usually a citizen who stumbles across a body or a missing kid anyway, so what's the difference here?
sorry, just my two cents...I want to see searchers, different searchers, especially again in the school.

Desiree Young said that LE was asking for only certified SAR personnel to search and mentioned that she herself would have no idea of what might be evidence, how to handle it if she did find something that might be evidence, etc.

Then Kaine Horman pointed out that, considering the terrain, if the family had gone out searching it was likely they would have gone missing right along with Kyron. That would only contribute to the problem and divert resources from the search for Kyron. Not exactly helpful.

Searchers described pushing through brambles constantly, mud everywhere, having to do 165 foot rappels down steep slopes, etc. At least one certified SAR person had to be evacuated via ambulance due to injuries sustained by the terrain.

That does not sound like the kind of terrain I would feel comfortable asking the average person to come help search.

They lose enough hikers and climbers in Oregon every year without actually suggesting dangerous missions to the enthusiastic but unqualified.

@DMansMom,

Where do I start?

First, I'm here in Portland, Oregon, so local to this. My wife and I have two sons and two daughters. My boys are 6 and 9 so this hits home for us, even moreso since it is in our area.

Second, while my current field is digital marketing / internet marketing, I am prior service Army and have law enforcement experience.

That said, I cannot speak for anyone but myself when you ask why there has not been more community outcry. There are so many things that just make no sense about this case, I don't know where to start. So many unanswered questions.

I've not personally gotten involved with blaming the school staff because my gut tells me that there's no way a stranger abduction could happen as it's been described. We teach our kids from early on that if a stranger grabs you, to yell "This is not my Dad!" or "This is Not my Mom!".

While I don't personally have children at Skyline, I can tell you that there are enough adults around that had Kyron known something was wrong or yelled, we wouldn't be talking about this now.

That leads me to believe that either this is a non-stranger abduction (he knew the person - family or friend of family); or that he never made it to school that morning and the SM is fabricating this to cover something up.

Neither of the above scenarios lead me to be any more cautious or concerned with my kids than my wife and I have been all along. We've always taken common sense security precautions with them, regardless of this case.

Neither of the above scenarios lead me to want to shake the tree and blame the Skyline school or the school district. So, while I cannot speak for others here in Portland, I can tell you that as a parent of four children and a prior LE, I'm not outraged at the way this is being handled. Why?

Because it's blatantly obvious that LE is looking heavily at the SM but they just don't have a body (God forbid) yet or enough proof. And yes, while they are in evidence gathering mode, it is frustrating for average folks because the only thing you and I see is what the media publishes. Trust me. The SM is likely under surveilance. They still have many detectives working the case. But IMHO all signs point to this being a non-stranger abduction that may or may not have taken place on school grounds.

Questions I have had that remain unanswered:

The white Ford F250 looked late model in the photo. If it was NOT towed for evidence processing and if it WAS towed at the request of family to be fixed, is it back in operation yet? Has anyone verified that it went to a repair place?

Why are we just now seeing home videos of Kyron and additional photos being released by the family 3 weeks later?

What were the results of the two polygraphs that SM took?

Why did SM not call 911 herself that day? I can tell you that if my kid did not get off the bus, my first call would be to the school, but that once I heard that he had been marked absent that day, I would PERSONALLY call 911 to get information out. I would NOT rely on a school secretary to do this for me. I see no evidence that SM ever called 911 herself about this case and that SMELLS, bigtime.

This story has gotten national attention and continues to; but it's obvious that LE are focusing the investigation here in Portland. My guess is that they are doing that for a reason. It's NOT that they don't know what they are doing. Hell they are working with Federal, State and Local officers and detectives on this. One thing they don't have is a lack of talent and resources on it.

When I saw that LE was putting out a flyer with photos of the SM and her truck and asking people to fill out a questionnaire, I immediately saw that as LE putting pressure on the SM to see how she would react to it. Would she flee? How would she behave or react? "If" her phone conversations are being monitored, what would she say? I would be HIGHLY surprised if she were not under 24 hour surveillance by LE.

Too many questions unanswered. What was she doing over on Sauvie Island that day? Or did someone borrow her cell phone? Who knows?

There are too many people here in Portland who are watching this for it to go "cold". We're not making a huge stink about it because for all purposes we (I) believe that it is a family member abduction or that he never was at school that morning.

So no, we are not blaming the school. Although I agree 110% that all schools should have digital surveillance in place, even with good systems there is not 100% coverage. There's digital surveillance in the public school that our kids attend here and we STILL use common sense, walking them from the car to the classroom etc. There IS an automated phone system in our public school that calls us within an hour if our kid is absent. That's been in place for several years so I was really surprised to see it not at Skyline.

Skyline is in a fairly rural area. It's by no means desolate or isolated, but my point is simply that it's not urban. It's not downtown Portland. If there appeared to be a reason to be screaming at the school district, trust me, people would. All I can think is that many folks feel like I do that - look, we're already protecting our own children and this is not a stranger abduction from a public school during school hours.

One positive outcome from this locally is that it has increased awareness, which is great. I hope we have an outcome soon. I really do. But like other LE folks who are looking at this, the cards are not in our favor. Almost a 12 hour window before he gets reported missing? That's horrible in a missing kid case.

Yes, I agree, it does seem like focus may be on SM, but then I watch interviews like the ones the parents gave this morning and they seem to be portraying themselves as unified. They say SM is passionately involved in finding Kyron...(Not a quote) So that makes me wonder WTH? If they are unified then who took Kyron and that leads me right back to abduction...and then i get scared all over again. I mean, if bio parents are aware that LE may be looking at SM, how can they possibly sit thru these interviews and portray unity? How? I would be out of my mind, and they definately would have to sedate me. The only thing that is obvious to me is that there is a contradiction here............isolated case and family unity.......can you have both?

As far as the school is concerned, if it is revealed that Kyron was indeed taken from Skyline by a perp, there will be hell to pay. I have no doubt about that.

Another thought...

While I would love to imagine that Portland has only one single person who would ever harm a seven year old boy, I know it's just not true. Portland has over 2 million people in the area and there are likely to be more than one bad person in the bunch.

So, why would a parent in Portland change what they do with their children? If someone is arrested tomorrow in the case, that doesn't appreciably lower the risk to other children.

Another thought...

While I would love to imagine that Portland has only one single person who would ever harm a seven year old boy, I know it's just not true. Portland has over 2 million people in the area and there are likely to be more than one bad person in the bunch.

So, why would a parent in Portland change what they do with their children? If someone is arrested tomorrow in the case, that doesn't appreciably lower the risk to other children.

Except.....that Kyron Horman vanished from "school". That is the one place that I am not able to watch over him. That the one place where my child is among more than 20 other children with only 1 teacher to monitor them. You had better believe I will change what i do, if it is found that a stranger/perp did this crime and is still on the loose. I want to make damn sure my child is safe when I leave him in the hands of school staff. Or, I would consider home schooling. Some may think that is over the top, but it took just one second for Kyron to vanish.....

I still have hope for you little guy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3