4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That interview with Keith Morrison happened before the Dateline episode in question actually aired. It was a teaser.

I found an automated transcription of the actual episode but it’s a little messy.

“ … a month before [graduation from DeSales], our source tells us police have found that Brian Kohberger went online and visited Amazon dot com to buy a couple of items, a knife—A Ka-bar advertised as the best fixed blade knife in the world for hunting, sporting, military—and a knife sheath.”

Some typos in the automated transcription fixed or clarified by me. You can listen to the whole podcast on any podcast app. Or watch it, I assume.

Again, this comes down to whether or not you believe Dateline has viable sources, <modsnip>
Great work!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That interview with Keith Morrison happened before the Dateline episode in question actually aired. It was a teaser.

I found an automated transcription of the actual episode but it’s a little messy.

“ … a month before [graduation from DeSales], our source tells us police have found that Brian Kohberger went online and visited Amazon dot com to buy a couple of items, a knife—A Ka-bar advertised as the best fixed blade knife in the world for hunting, sporting, military—and a knife sheath.”

Some typos in the automated transcription fixed or clarified by me. You can listen to the whole podcast on any podcast app. Or watch it, I assume.

Again, this comes down to whether or not you believe Dateline has viable sources, <modsnip>
I appreciate this. I don't think it is obvious why I'm on this like a "dog on a bone."

Because, if it can be proved that BK actually bought a Ka-Bar knife before the murders, this can tip the balance with the jury.

It is called "murder kit purchases."

If the jury believes that BK bought the murder weapon, it is significant, I saw a Case like this. The "murder kit " purchases were crucial evidence given by the Special Agent in charge of the investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
This report was on May 26, so you're a bit late to the party. This explains where Dateline got their information. It makes sense. PA LE is NOT under the ID gag order, nor is the FBI. Dateline NBC's Keith Morrison discusses Bryan Kohberger, Idaho murder case

Dateline is a reputable show. IMO they are not going to risk getting sued or losing their sources. Either PA LE or FBI found the origin of the K Bar knife and sheath. They know BK took it to WA because, it was not in his parents house when they arrested BK and searched that house and his vehicle and the sheath turned up in ID, so logically BK bought it and took it with him to WA.
Though I think Dateline is part of NBC’s news division I’m not sure if it’s held to the same standards re anonymous/confidential sources as the straight news shows and the website are held to. Boilerplate standards for publishing/airing is typically one corroborating source for anyone not willing to go on record.

But we have recent examples of them being duped on a non-editorial straight news show. Specifically the 6pm Nightly News program.

With all that being said they are very LE friendly. I can’t imagine that they don’t have solid Law Enforcement connections across the country and only a degree or two removed from any given town/city/states LE department.

And the PA dept in particular was leaking the morning after BKs arrest. The DailyMail wrote a story that included a screenshot of a text message with an account that’s since been corroborated…it mentioned the surveillance and BK wearing gloves everywhere (including the grocery store, it’s in the report) before it was widely known.

Hell, I bet they’ve heard about some of the prosecutions evidence in the Idaho case but for obvious reasons choosing not to report on it.

MOO

Last edited:
Nearing the end of this episode. Allegedly arrested standing in the kitchen, wearing latex gloves, shoving items into zip lock bags. As one does.

My god, he’s so much dumber than I’ve been saying.
The information on BK's sister's suspicions is also new information that first appeared on the Dateline episode, and that because of her suspicions, several family members searched the car.

Anonymous sources are anonymous sources. Look at what happened with the people swearing BK was linked to Dana Smithers. It turned out to be false, per law enforcement -- thanks to an anonymous source. Look at the reports from sources about IN police stopping the car on FBI orders. Again, false. There have been a number of debunked reports on this case.

It's not that the MSM means harm. And certainly Dateline would never broadcast anything they didn't believe to be true thanks to the confirmation of their source. But the source, him or herself, could be wrong. Look at the news about Mad Greek -- two separate stories being told, one by an anonymous source, one by the owner of the restaurant.

Dateline dropped the bit about the knife with no further information. Didn't even say it was a LE source. Just because they reported something doesn't make it a confirmed fact, IMO. They could be right. But they may be wrong and IMO, it's important to keep that in mind too.

IMO, Dateline totally ruined their "reputable" status by irresponsibly linking BK to a crime committed before he even moved to the area. That was nothing but sensationalistic melodrama.

MOO.
Not to mention, buying a knife is not a crime, the crime that the PA investigative GJ had to be investigating is a crime in Monroe Cty, PA, and the GJ cannot just call in his parents to question them about a crime in ID. So unless there was a crime that BK allegedly committed with a knife in PA, then the GJ was not about a knife and BK. It's not the Star Chamber (though some would say it's close).

there must be some guidelines or basis for requiring them to appear.
This is a summary of the PA GJ

Interesting

Q: What types of cases do grand juries investigate?

A: Most cases involve multi-jurisdictional issues, such as drug trafficking cases in which illegal substances are brought in from out of state and distributed over county lines, Medicaid and insurance fraud, environmental protection, gambling, public corruption and cold case homicides.

what stops a GJ from abusing their power?
Nothing other than the integrity of those involved. Prosecutorial and LE misconduct do happen and nothing will make the case more than a stroll through the exonerations at EJI.org and Innocence Project.

The Mad Greek....

I have no idea how long the manager has been managing there but is it possible that BK had in fact not been there in the fall of 2022.... but had been, when he may have been scoping out his prospective grad school town? Maybe much earlier than anyone considered. Maybe at a time other employees worked there and a different manager managed...

Maybe he didn't even eat there. Scoped it out. Sniff test, as it were... chatted outside with an employee... who wouldn't give him her home address...

Jmo

Where is this evidence that BK bought a Ka-Bar knife?

All this article says is:

NBC’s Dateline special “The Killings on King Road” reported that the 28-year-old accused killer shopped online for the military-style knife in April 2022.

The report indicates that Mr Kohberger took the knife with him when he moved.

What report?

Ok everyone. Please post all the information you can find to support these 2 assertions:

1.) BK purchased this Ka-Bar knife.

2.) BK took the knife to Washington.

Bunch of BS...so prove me wrong.

It would be BREAKING NEWS if BK bought this knife. Please, link me to all these headlines, they must be here.

Or is it just an Amazon Search Warrant LOOKING for the knife purchase?

At this point that information is GAG'd.

The Mad Greek....

I have no idea how long the manager has been managing there but is it possible that BK had in fact not been there in the fall of 2022.... but had been, when he may have been scoping out his prospective grad school town? Maybe much earlier than anyone considered. Maybe at a time other employees worked there and a different manager managed...

Maybe he didn't even eat there. Scoped it out. Sniff test, as it were... chatted outside with an employee... who wouldn't give him her home address...

Jmo

Certainly. But if you're stalking them online you may not need to go to MG. I think he lurked nearby and definitely at Grub Truck. I think he's there in the shadows and I hope they have investigated the crap out of it.

Last edited:
snipped by me for focus:

IMO, Dateline totally ruined their "reputable" status by irresponsibly linking BK to a crime committed before he even moved to the area. That was nothing but sensationalistic melodrama.

MOO.
What crime did Dateline link BK to?

If you are thinking about the Dana Smither's murder Grand Jury, that information came from News Nation, not Dateline.

If you are thinking about the Dana Smither's murder Grand Jury, that information came from News Nation, not Dateline.

I believe that Dateline prattled about the ‘panty raid in car’ incident, which occurred in the spring of 2022—a time when, although it might have been physically possible for BK to be in Washington, there’s no evidence that he was anywhere but Pennsylvania.

MOO

Not trying to speak for OP, but when they say a crime committed before BK moved to the area ( Idaho ), I think they are talking about Dateline showing the bodycam footage of a woman who called LE about her car being rifled through and her suitcase on the steet.

I believe it happened in March and I agree that it’s quite a stretch to link BK to it.

I do believe Dateline has reliable sources and are responsible in their reporting, but including that story had me scratching my head.

jmo

I wonder if Kohberger's parents feel like the PA authorities are on a witch hunt regarding their son. So many "experts" are of the opinion that Moscow was not his first crime scene.

I realize the GJ has the power to subpoena the parents against their will -their lawyer tried to squash the subpoena, but there must be some guidelines or basis for requiring them to appear. Otherwise, what stops a GJ from abusing their power?
Especially since their testimony may be shared with the Idaho LE.

I have learned a lot about GJ's because of this case; more than one kind, sharing of info, etc.

Respectfully,

BK was 29, and, if proven guilty, will be a mass murderer. Few start with it. It would be logical to ask, were UI students his first victims?

I have asked it myself, only to notice that his MO was to cross the WA/Idaho state line. I would not assume that murders were totally unplanned; nor would I imagine he'd previously attack someone even marginally close to him. So I would think, upstate NY, Connecticut, even NJ.

But I understand why PA authorities are asking this question. Assuming Idaho police has more than they put into PCA, something really tying BK up to the murders, it makes sense to look where he previously lived. Maybe they are looking for his "lair" in PA.

I believe that Dateline prattled about the ‘panty raid in car’ incident, which occurred in the spring of 2022—a time when, although it might have been physically possible for BK to be in Washington, there’s no evidence that he was anywhere but Pennsylvania.

MOO

Trying to link BK to the "panty raid" is hilariously naive. However, one wonders if the inhabitants of that house should, ironically, be thankful to the "panty pirate" and definitely more than thankful to MPD. They followed the advice to install the cameras on the house and that, of course, might have spared them BK's attack.

Respectfully,

BK was 29, and, if proven guilty, will be a mass murderer. Few start with it. It would be logical to ask, were UI students his first victims?

I have asked it myself, only to notice that his MO was to cross the WA/Idaho state line. I would not assume that murders were totally unplanned; nor would I imagine he'd previously attack someone even marginally close to him. So I would think, upstate NY, Connecticut, even NJ.

But I understand why PA authorities are asking this question. Assuming Idaho police has more than they put into PCA, something really tying BK up to the murders, it makes sense to look where he previously lived. Maybe they are looking for his "lair" in PA.
I’m in the minority as I tend to think these were his first murders—he was so bad at covering his tracks in many different ways—especially bad for someone in his field of study. I believe someone said in the early days that this could be the work of a budding serial killer and I was skeptical; however, after reading a bit, it seems most serial killers make their first kill in their late 20s.

The other two most common characteristics are bed wetting and humiliation. Animal harm is pretty high on the list and there are other things.

The speed and “overkill” might mean first-timer. Leaving the sheath behind, leaving a digital trail, could be indicative of inexperience. Time will tell. JMO

Respectfully,

RSBM
For clarification purposes only: BK was 27 on 13 Nov 2022. Not 29, and he's 28 right now. Unless you were referring to something other than age when you said he was 29, or perhaps a typo. So much misinformation surrounding this case that it helps to stick to things we do know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025