4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree. But I don't know if Gray knows the proper place of families in it all. If he's been practicing as long as he claims and making a decent living, he can't be as clueless as he seems at times per reporters' tweets, I guess. (It's not just grandstanding although I think he's doing that too.)

For example, Emma Epperly's account says Gray said the prosecution "should be representing the families." Well, no, that's not really true. And Gray shouldn't tell families that it is. The DA represents "the state."

For example, after getting "caught" re: his claim the state hadn't talked to the Goncalves when he was actually blocking that, Jordan Smith's account says Gray then said in court "Nothing precluded the prosecution from contacting my clients well before I started representing them.” What??? I'm not sure exactly when Gray showed up but he was definitely on the job representing the Goncalves in mid-Dec. Why would the DA talk to the family then? Nobody had even been arrested. Saying that made no sense and didn't get Gray off the hook. And per press reports, LE had talked to them. More than once.
JMO
There is quite abit of this I agree with.

Amani El-Alayli is a social psychologist at a WA college. She is here to speak about how pre-trial publicity affects jurors and their decision outcomes.

"Pre-trial publicity does affect guilty verdicts," El-Alayli said. "Anything that is anti-defendant can carry weight," she said. People who have authority and expert status are listened to and trusted more. Most of the time anti-defendant sentiments come from police officers+

Who are listened to more than other people and are considered to have authority and expert status, she said. Most of the time jurors are selected based on exposure but she said they can always forget information theyve been exposed to

"If they don't know what knowledge is in the back of their minds... It would be really hard for them to have an accurate response... and evaluate things in an unbiased manner."

Last edited:
Butcher 4 kids in their beds and there WILL be media.
It's actually guaranteed.
What do we expect here for our PhD bright light?
A bouquet?
Seriously though I do support and agree with the sealing because of the threat to witnesses, I'm not sure the entire trial should be off camera at all.
It doesn't bring the catharsis necessary for healing to begin and that is also a function of justice IMO

Limiting statements by authority figures would mitigate bias, El-Alayli said. Aka, not letting authority figures like police and attorneys make statement to the media. No more witnesses. But we are still here — Defense has a chance to make their argument

Why is he allowed to wear a suit already?

ETA: I see above this has been answered that it's allowed in most places. Though I am used to seeing defendants in jail uniforms until trial. I guess a lot of them don't bother to request it.
Yes, the defense attorneys must request this and if they don't the defendant themself can object in court.

While it is unlawful for an official to require a defendant to appear for trial in prison garb, it is not inherently unlawful for a defendant to so appear. Where a defendant is given the opportunity to obtain alternate clothing but declines to do so, he or she may stand trial in a prison uniform.

Additionally, absent an objection by the defendant, the trial judge is not required to specifically inquire as to whether the defendant is deliberately going to trial in prison clothing. If the defendant fails to object to appearing before the jury in prison garb, the issue is waived on appeal.

Yes, the defense attorneys must request this and if they don't the defendant themself can object in court.

While it is unlawful for an official to require a defendant to appear for trial in prison garb, it is not inherently unlawful for a defendant to so appear. Where a defendant is given the opportunity to obtain alternate clothing but declines to do so, he or she may stand trial in a prison uniform.

Additionally, absent an objection by the defendant, the trial judge is not required to specifically inquire as to whether the defendant is deliberately going to trial in prison clothing. If the defendant fails to object to appearing before the jury in prison garb, the issue is waived on appeal.

Love hearing the back and forth legal antics. BUT, as the saying goes, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig (and I actually like pigs).

An Armani tuxedo will not hide guilt. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18