4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This question is actually very interesting and more complex than it appears at first glance. I did a little research and each state actually decides when a suspect's DNA will be entered into CODIS. These are the rules from the Idaho DNA database act: https://legislature.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/statutesrules/idstat/Title19/T19CH55.pdf

At the very bottom of page 3, there is a section which discusses this very issue: 19-5507. Responsibility for Sample Collection--Timing of Sample Collection--Site for Sample Collection.

It looks to me (based on Page 3- 4, (1)) that the DNA for CODIS is normally collected after conviction and before sentencing. So...I'm not sure if BK's DNA is in CODIS or not at this time.
This was my question a few days ago when we were discussing CODIS, whether BKs DNA has already been entered. He hasn't been convicted therefore I didn't think it was possible. But then (iirc) @Cool Cats said yes, they've already submitted it.

In the LISK thread someone mentioned that RHs' DNA hasn't been entered because he has not been convicted. Does this kind of thing vary from state to state?

This was my question a few days ago when we were discussing CODIS, whether BKs DNA has already been entered. He hasn't been convicted therefore I didn't think it was possible. But then (iirc) @Cool Cats said yes, they've already submitted it.

In the LISK thread someone mentioned that RHs' DNA hasn't been entered because he has not been convicted. Does this kind of thing vary from state to state?
It does. New York is a post conviction state.

Yes according to his post, it is up to the state when the info gets submitted to CODIS.

Perhaps there's a difference with a distinction.

Surely the recovered DNA from the sheath was run through CODIS but not entered, and after LE swabbed BK for DNA, it was not entered into CODIS because he hasn't been convicted of any crime.

So... IMO, theoretically, assuming BK is in fact guilty and supposing he commit another murder today, for which his DNA was sent to CODIS, there would be no hit.

If this is the case, then IMO it's possible that BK is guilty of other crimes for which he has not been convicted, ergo no DNA on file with CODIS.

My conclusion: the anonymous DNA from the sheath was put through CODIS without match, it was not entered into CODIS nor later when BK's DNA was collected, and won't be entered into CODIS, until or unless he's convicted of a felony.

JMO

Perhaps there's a difference with a distinction.

Surely the recovered DNA from the sheath was run through CODIS but not entered, and after LE swabbed BK for DNA, it was not entered into CODIS because he hasn't been convicted of any crime.

So... IMO, theoretically, assuming BK is in fact guilty and supposing he commit another murder today, for which his DNA was sent to CODIS, there would be no hit.

If this is the case, then IMO it's possible that BK is guilty of other crimes for which he has not been convicted, ergo no DNA on file with CODIS.

My conclusion: the anonymous DNA from the sheath was put through CODIS without match, it was not entered into CODIS nor later when BK's DNA was collected, and won't be entered into CODIS, until or unless he's convicted of a felony.

JMO
There are similar comments/questions in the LISK thread.

RBBM others have said that it was already entered? Idk anything about this subject and I don't even know the proper terminology. I assumed a persons DNA wouldn't be input for future comparison until/unless there is a conviction.

There are similar comments/questions in the LISK thread.

RBBM others have said that it was already entered? Idk anything about this subject and I don't even know the proper terminology. I assumed a persons DNA wouldn't be input for future comparison until/unless there is a conviction.
Yes, and I think that's the tangle. His DNA was run through CODIS in search of a match (before LE knew whose DNA it was) but since BK had never been convicted of any felonies (as an adult at least), no match was made. Regardless, his DNA was not entered into CODIS at that time.

I doubt CODIS contains a graveyard of anonymous, unmatched DNA profiles. It's a database of (known) convicted felons (and in some states charged/arrested individuals). DNA with names.

JMO

Yes, and I think that's the tangle. His DNA was run through CODIS in search of a match (before LE knew whose DNA it was) but since BK had never been convicted of any felonies (as an adult at least), no match was made. Regardless, his DNA was not entered into CODIS at that time.

I doubt CODIS contains a graveyard of anonymous, unmatched DNA profiles. It's a database of (known) convicted felons (and in some states charged/arrested individuals). DNA with names.

JMO
Not sure what you mean? I don't think anyone is disputing this afaIk. CODIS was originally for tracking sex offenders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aholloway14744
Back