4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #95

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This has really been bothering me: From everything I've ever read or heard, when there is a knife used to murder, even the person wielding the knife ends up with cuts due to the knife becoming slippery from blood. I've been wondering and wondering why Bryan K. didn't seem to exhibit any injuries. He was very meticulous in what he wore that night, maybe plastic in his car, etc... very methodical & well-planned out. Could it be that he also bought cut-resistant gloves that he wore that night? Some even have anti-slip characteristics! If you go to Amazon, you can find many listed with details on how they work. Thoughts from others?

DNA collected from suspect Bryan Kohberger a ‘statistical match’ for DNA on sheath of knife according to court documents​

The DNA of Bryan Kohberger, is a “statistical match” to DNA collected from the sheath of a knife found at the scene, according to court documents filed by prosecutors. “The STR profile is at least 5.37 octillion times more likely to be Kohberger.

An “STR” analysis – or short tandem repeat analysis – is a common type of DNA profiling in criminal cases and other types of forensic cases, according to the National Institute of Justice.

The FBI originally loaded the DNA profile from the knife sheath onto publicly available genealogy sites. Then the FBI went to work building family trees of the genetic relatives in an attempt to identify the sheath DNA and then LE sent a tip to investigate Kohberger, according to prosecutors.
Yeah, I heard about the 'Statistical match" for the DNA on the sheath. I heard about that the STR profile is at least 5.37 octillion times more likely to be the suspect. I understand that the FBI created a family tree from a SNP profile and LE got a tip from the FBI to look into the suspect.

I've read
1. State's Motion to for a protective order
2. Objection to the State's Motion for the Protective Order
3. Reply in Support of Motion for Protective Order
4. Affidavit of Ryleen Nowlin - Idaho State Forensic Lab
5. Affidavit of Leah Larkin Support of Defendant's Third Motion to Compel
6. Gabriella Vargas's Declaration in Support of Third Motion to Compel
7. Anne Taylor's Declaration in support of Third motion to compel
8. Stephen B Mercer's Declaration in support of Third Motion to Compel
9. Bicka Barlow's Declaration in support of Third Motion to Compel
10. I watched the IGG Hearing on Nov 2, 2023.

I need to go and watch the testimonies of Bicka Barlow, Stephen Mercer, Leah Larkin and Gabriela Vargas. I'll do that this week.

This has really been bothering me: From everything I've ever read or heard, when there is a knife used to murder, even the person wielding the knife ends up with cuts due to the knife becoming slippery from blood. I've been wondering and wondering why Bryan K. didn't seem to exhibit any injuries. He was very meticulous in what he wore that night, maybe plastic in his car, etc... very methodical & well-planned out. Could it be that he also bought cut-resistant gloves that he wore that night? Some even have anti-slip characteristics! If you go to Amazon, you can find many listed with details on how they work. Thoughts from others?
The knife allegedly used in this crime was a combat knife. It has a textured, slip resistant handle and a hilt which physically stops the hand from slipping up onto the cutting edge.

That doesn't mean it's impossible to cut yourself, especially when attacking multiple victims in the dark, but it makes it far less likely than if you just picked up any old kitchen knife, which generally has a smooth handle and no cross guard.

MOO

Just playing Devil's Advocate: I agree, if it is a bare-handed transfer, we would expect the lab to find both people's DNA, but IF someone transfers DNA while wearing gloves and their DNA was not on the outside of the gloves they are wearing, then I would not expect there to be a mix. I would only expect the transfer DNA.
So the guy puts gloves on for this murder and THEN he touches BK and gets BK's skin cells on his glove and then immediately goes and opens the knife sheath, leaving it on the bed?

So in this scenario, BK has to be pretty close by?

The kbar is designed to kill humans with.
An assaillant with surprise, superior strength and knowlegde of delivering blows can keep control of the knife.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back